Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heroic Melee Zerg Gear (Read 5066 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Heroic Melee Zerg Gear
Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Mostly finished.  Yes, results will vary and there will be arguably better items for specific classes - but the goal here is to reuse the same gear over and over during a TR cycle.  As much as possible gear with the most flexible augment slots will be picked allowing class needs to be...well...augmented as needed (literally).  Thanks for the input in the original post.

If you follow this guide though, you will have 20% concealment starting at level 3 and both 20% concealment and 10% ghostly for later levels, as well as full fortification, magic resistance, death block, as much protection against negative levels as gear can give you, high elemental resistance, and built in ghost touch starting with level 10.

Trinkets
1-3 You can craft one, but at that level it really doesn't give much of a boost.
4-7 Crystal Cove trinkets*
8-18 Symbol of the slave lords -  Adds true seeing and +2 insightful con.  Mostly used to be equipped with The Master's Gift and heavy fortification. 
*Greater Stalwart is best if using Bracers of Wind

Necklaces
2-8 Cannith Crafting
9-10 Silver Flame Pendent**
11-14 Silver Flame Talisman* - deathblock + negative energy absorption
15-20 Elite Death's Locket*- deathblock + negative energy absorption
*unless you like negative levels or are running in a group and expect other people to buff you. 
** There's only like two or three quest in that level range where you need deathblock - but I got one-shot killed in one of them and decided to grind out a lesser necklace.

Rings
2-11/15 Cannith Crafting
11-20 Ring of the Stalker* - adds seeker, manslayer and ethereal at level 15
15-20 Elite Ring of Shadows - adds blurry

*update at level 15 if you feel like grinding two out

Cloaks
1-2 Starter gear
3-9 Phiarlan Mirror Cloak - for spell resistance.
10-14 Cloak of Invisibility** - adds ghostly
15-18 Jeweled Cloak - spell absorption + two augment slots

** This can be solo farmed surprisingly easily from Tempest Spine

Bracers
1-2 Starter gear (ax or spear bane)
3-6 Bracers of Wind
7-12 Bracers of Wind tier 3** - if you want the green slot
13-18 Ethereal Bracers* - you can get ethereal from other items and craft something better; but the ethereal bracers gives you an extra augment slot to work with.
*only if no level 15 ring of stalker - but take the time and get the RoS.
**Take the time and get it, slot a level 8 augment and use it through level 14

Armor
Light armor for barb, ranger and evasion paladin.  For fighter, you'll figure it out.
1-3 Cannith Crafting - Fortification and invulnerability
4-7 Cannith Crafting - Invulnerability and fearsome*.  Blue slot with moderate fortification.
8-13 Snakeskin Vest - if you're after the DEX bonus
14-20 Black or white Dragonhide Armor**

*Yes, it's annoying chasing after dungeon trash, but fearsome really does prevent you from being mobbed when soloing.
**Black was better for my ranger since white added nothing he didn't already have, but white will give more protection to the other classes.***
*** Be willing to buy cosmetic armor because the dragon armors really are kind of gay and retarded looking.

Weapons
Just a handful of weapons I've really come to appreciate holding me over til getting my greesteel.

Blade of Inquisition
Flametongue
Threnalian War Blade
Sun Blade
Battleworn Sword (gives ghost touch at level 1)
Guardian's Dagger
Carnifex
Hellstroke Great Axe

Cannith Crafting

You can craft at every level if you want, but the goal of this guide is to minimize your TR gear, so the gear sets will be 1/5/10/14. 

It takes time, but with crafting you should try and find items with the highest augment slot possible (green for jewelry, blue for clothing).  It also takes time (or Astral Shards) to track down all the augments, but try and fill each slot.

I usually build my toons for offense but my gear for defense (especially reflex for traps, when soloing a non-trap monkey, this is essential).  The gear should be designed to help multiple classes when TRing, so it's recommended you add a bonus to all stats.  CHR won't help much when going through a barbarian life, but it will help when leveling a paladin.

With crafting, these are suggestions.  Change to fit your own needs or crafting skills

Levels 1-4*
Armor w/blue augment - fortification & guard or healing amp
Weapon - flametouched

*if you're running reaper you can craft a complete set with augment slots.  But for heroic TRing, just adding crafted armor and a weapon will let you blast through the lower levels on elite.

Levels 5-9
Belt - +4 CON & STR. 
Boots - Dodge & sheltering.  Striding augment.
Gloves - +4 DEX & healing amp. 
Helm - +4 WIS & resistance.  Water breathing augment.
Googles - +4 INT & Melee alacrity or deadly.
Necklace - Poison ward & Natural armor.  Power +25 augment.  Like ring #2, you have a little room to customize with your necklace until level 9 or 11 - depending how soon you want to use the silver flame.
Ring - +4 CHR
Ring #2 - Until level 11 (when replaced by ring of stalker) your second ring is where you have the most flexibility in the gear.  I'm using it for feather fall and negative energy absorption, but you can craft and augment it for whichever skills you want a boost to. 

Levels 10-14
Belt - STR & Spell resistance + insightful STR
Boots - Dodge & Sheltering + insightful fortification
Gloves - DEX & Healing Amp + insightful DEX
Helm - WIS & Resistance + elemental resistance
Ring - CON & Elemental Res + insightful magic sheltering
Googles - INT & Melee Alacrity or deadly + Insightful seeker

Levels 15+
Same as above
Bracers - Con & Parrying + insightful spell resistance

Augments

A few points, not a list.  My present guild's ship gives shit for elemental resistance, so I'm forced to augment for protection (I am so not going back to the cargo hold for old school buffs every 45 minutes.  Fuck that).  That slightly weakens the build because I have to give up deadly for elemental resistance, etc. 

But my gear sets are for 2/5/10/15 (for max bonus to stats) but the augments are 1/4/8/12.  If you're playing the old end game contents you probably want another gear set update, but this is for quick TRing only.

Every piece of gear you craft should have augments (white at level 2, yellow at level 5, green/blue from then on out) and every slot should be filled.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:32am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

ButterDick
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Heroic Melee Zerg Gear
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:36am:
A work in progress.  Yes, results will vary and there will be arguably better items for specific classes - but the goal here is to reuse the same gear over and over during a TR cycle.  As much as possible gear with the most flexible augment slots will be picked allowing class needs to be...well...augmented as needed (literally).  Thanks for the input in the original post

Trinkets
1-4 Crude Bauble or whatever random vendor trash you stumble on
5-7 Voice of the master (worth using for +1 luck)
8-18 Symbol of the slave lords - equipped with The Master's Gift.

Cloaks
1-2 Starter gear
3-8 Phiarlan Mirror Cloak - for spell resistance.
9-13 Cloak of Invisibility** - swith SR to other gear
14-18 Jeweled Cloak - for spell absorption against negative levels

** This can be solo farmed surprisingly easily from Tempest Spine

Just cannith craft. Voice of the master is mostly garbage when you can just throw masters gift into a clear slot, and +1 to skills and saves isn't worth a trinket slot, IMO (especially as later you can shove that into a blue slot).

You could have a min level 1 true seeing combat mastery trinket, replace it every 5 levels so it scales.
If you're a melee, tactics are king. Take stunning blow, improved trip and sap (yes sap) if you're actually running heroic reaper.

Granted, I see you plan on using slave lord stuff.. I think you get more out of cannith crafting, espeically once you hit 10 and get three slots on all. (And I wouldn't have gear that I only use from 8-10)
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:12pm by ButterDick »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
ButterDick wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:11pm:
Just cannith craft. Voice of the master is mostly garbage when you can just throw masters gift into a clear slot, and +1 to skills and saves isn't worth a trinket slot, IMO

What trinket is worth it before level 8?  My info is outdated, but when I quit the only craft-able trinkets you had to buy from the ddo store and they didn't come with an augment slot.  If you're willing to use the turbine points (or whatever they're calling them now), it still might be worth crafting something for the lower levels, but for easy TRing, I'm still standing by the voice.

A few notes on crafting (now that I'm half way through my second life and have a better feel for it).

Unless you're a duper, the better non-scaling effects aren't easily obtainable.  I burned through the 50k essences I had left over from duping and used 75% crafting boosts for half of it (totally forgot about them at first) and I'm stillonly at 175 or so.  The list will be worth it because not everyone crafts and of those that do, not all have hit 250 to be able to get the 3rd tier effects.  With the 3rd tier effects, crafting might be better than named loot after level 14, but right now, I'd say crafting loses its edge in the 4th quarter of the game.

Need to update it with the crafting though.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Aren't the cove trinkets lvl 4?  Those are nice.  Also, the upgraded ioun stones are lvl 5.  Those can be nice.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:08pm:
Aren't the cove trinkets lvl 4?  Those are nice.  Also, the upgraded ioun stones are lvl 5.  Those can be nice.

I've got a level 4 Treasure Hunter's Spyglass I'll be using for my rogue and evasion paladin lives.  Need to get off my ass and run Threnal again so I can get another Master's Gift to slot for those lives.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:24pm:
I've got a level 4 Treasure Hunter's Spyglass I'll be using for my rogue and evasion paladin lives.  Need to get off my ass and run Threnal again so I can get another Master's Gift to slot for those lives.

Pretty sure you can still buy those on the ASAH.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:34am
Print Post  
updated

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised more people don't use Giantcraft armor for 10-13.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:48am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:22pm:
I'm surprised more people don't use Giantcraft armor for 10-13.

They're good armor but the biggest draw backs were only offering moderate fortification and no augment slots.  Fortification used to be the bane of my existence, switching it from necklace to armor to whatever every few levels.  Freaking love the slavelord trinket for that.  Now I can just slot it at level 8 and move on.

I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure I ended up with the snakeskin vest because it offers the highest dex bonus.

The parasitic breastplate is (to the best of my knowledge, not sure if there's something new) hands down the best light armor there is.  An upgraded breastplate can give you just an insane reflex save as well as a good AC.  The downside is it relies heavily on the Sustaining Symbiont, which is one of the best trinkets in the game (or was, for a melee anyways), but it doesn't hold a candle to the slavelord's trinket.  Pretty sure I used it for at least 6 of my main toon's 8 past lives, but it's been put in mothballs for now.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Fort is on the Dragoncraft armor. Giantcraft is Haste Guard + Vengeful + Relentless Fury.

5 more max dex is nice though if you've got that much dodge.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Updated.  It's worth mentioning again, this is primarily solo gear.  It's balanced to squeeze as much defenses in while still boosting offense.

This gear set will give you the max (give or take a few items I might have overlooked) seeker, pluses to your stats, elemental resistance, fortification, dodge bonus, MRR and PRR, and spell resistance.

There are a few items out there that would give a slightly larger boost to some defenses, but at the cost of other stats.  This really is about the only way to squeeze everything into your equipment without completely losing something else.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I still have the old Black Dragon armor on my rogue with the DD and Search +13 on it and the White dragon armor with the shield clickie. 

The giantcraft armors are a nice, easy option at ML 10.  I use them for non-heavy armor builds.  Executioner's plate is just better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint