Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Building the Perfect Party for Level 30 Reaper 10 (Read 14136 times)
Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Building the Perfect Party for Level 30 Reaper 10
Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:34am
Print Post  
My friends and I are picking up DDO again on Orien after an extended hiatus. We know nothing has changed with DDO management/devs regardless of what studio name is collecting the money.  We just miss hanging out and doing shit together online.  We used to crush elite content prior to U24, so our sights are set on high skull Reaper at level 30.  We’re going to plow through some ETRs then RTRs to get back into the swing of things.  While we understand warlocks and repeaters dominate the 1-20 content, what’s the state of the Reaper 10 meta game at level 30?  From everything we can tell, even top geared melee with piles of ETRs get two or three shot, so range dominates.

If you were building a perfect party for Reaper 10 in Level 30 dungeons, what would your party look like?  Until we test it for ourselves which will take a bit, it feels like having dedicated spots for a tank and a healer are a waste of party slots in R10.  We’re thinking of something like this:

Deep Gnome Wizard 20, focused on Illusion DC for PK
Wizard 20, focused on Enchantment DC for hold/charm
18 Rogue/2 Artificer, great crossbow x4

Thoughts? 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Building the Perfect Party for Level 30 Reaper 10
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Melee DPS is still the highest sustained single target DPS.  On Reaper 10 you will want some of that.  The groups that I have seen use a couple different tactics:

1)  The "cheese" way is to use charms heavily.  Charm half the mobs and let them beat on each other.  They aren't debuffed, so they hit way harder than you.  In lower levels, dominating a single carnage reaper can allow you to waltz through a dungeon. 

2)  The old school epics tactics.  Heavy use of CC - Holds, etc.  Instakills where you can.  Have one (or maybe two) melee that can beat the crap out of helpless CC mobs. 

Party makeup:

2-3 CC Warlocks/Wizards
2 Ranged builds
1 melee DPS
(if only 2 CC casters, last spot can be whatever.  Divine, another caster, another ranged, another melee.  I'd prefer a 3rd ranged or 3rd caster.  Heals are handled by cocooning each other and using heal scrolls.  Everyone has Wand and Scroll mastery, except maybe the melee DPS.  That with some heal amp is plenty fine.)

As for prepping, get reaper tree XP as a core focus of your TRing.  More so than the actual TR's you are getting.  It will add a ton of HP to all your characters.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
1. Warlock
2. Warlock
3. Warlock
4. Warlock
5. Warlock
6. Warlock

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Dc casting dominates r10. Any video of r10 will highlight just how important CC and insta-killing is.

welcome back.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:34am:
having dedicated spots for a tank and a healer are a waste of party slots in R10

I'd say intim tank and attentive hjealer is mandatory if you like fast gameplay without frustrating deaths by every single stray arrow, not crowd controllable champ or splash damage.
Very few people play those though.

Tank, enchanter, hjealer, preferrably ranged dps, or VERY good melee player.
Your "classic trinity".

Have done many 10 skulls quests and countless 7+.

Good luck though, if you are not interested in fucking grind for no purpose, high skulls at cap are at least reminiscing of what this game was supposed to be.
Content and party gameplay got replaced  with grindy piece of junk and instant gratification arcade.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:46pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Ranged DPS and CC, done deal ...... tanks, uhm lol  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Barbarian
Bard
Hjealers x4

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Axer
Cleric
Bard
Backup cleric
Tertiary cleric
Artificer

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:35pm:
Ranged DPS and CC, done deal ...... tanks, uhm lol  Roll Eyes

It's not like I need to convince anyone except comment on OP question but I have yet to see those mythical all ranged and no hjealer/tank 9 - 10 skulls parties and completions.
In reasonable time with reasonable amount of deaths.

Logged in after a week today, did 8 or 9 skulls Grim and Barrett chain and Memoirs. On my tank.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:09pm:
It's not like I need to convince anyone except comment on OP question but I have yet to see those mythical all ranged and no hjealer/tank 9 - 10 skulls parties and completions.
In reasonable time with reasonable amount of deaths.

Logged in after a week today, did 8 or 9 skulls Grim and Barrett chain and Memoirs. On my tank.

Wizza and Rys have tons of quests on r10 with some combination of a DC sorc, DC wiz, and a Monkcher?

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:14pm:
Wizza and Rys have tons of quests on r10 with some combination of a DC sorc, DC wiz, and a Monkcher?

No offense to wizza and rys.   They are duoing 10 skulls ffs.   That deserves respect.  But the times are long and there a lot of deaths.   Duo rubs are an achievement.  But a 6 man party can do it way faster and with fewer deaths if built properly.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Runs not rubs.  Typing in phone.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
1. Tank [5k hp at least]
2. Healer / Divine Instakills
3. Mass holds, Charms and Instakills. (Wizard, Sorc, Warlock) -> Rebuke stacks on bosses
4. Monkcher
5. Monkcher (or Shiradi with Ender Set)
6. Melee DPS

~

If you can safe spot a boss you can drop the Tank and the Healer.
Often times Caster Bosses are not a big deal, so they can be Ranged Safely.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Rys and Wizza are just photoshoppers trying to act cool on the forums >.> nothing to see there

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:28pm:
1. Tank [5k hp at least]
2. Healer / Divine Instakills
3. Mass holds, Charms and Instakills. (Wizard, Sorc, Warlock) -> Rebuke stacks on bosses
4. Monkcher
6. Melee DPS

This.  It's amazing how much easier a good tank and healer make high skull runs.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
You can find 5 other people to make a full group? Lol.. ya right.. Grin

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Get healer, tank and DC caster. Rest is wathever, just make sure you have 1 DPS, but at least 2 is recommended to make boss fights less dramatically tedious.

But if you ask for perfect I think 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 DC wizard, 1 DC fiend warlock, 1 melee DPS (make sure over 2500hp 200 PRR and must be a very good player), 1 ranged DPS is the best -
generally, ofc for each specific quest a certain group will do better.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:51pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Monkcher

Wasn't Monkcher nerfed to nothingness? Or arrow of Slaying still works on shuris?
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:53pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:49pm:
Get healer, tank and DC caster. Rest is wathever, just make sure you have 1 DPS, but at least 2 is recommended to make boss fights less dramatically tedious.

But if you ask for perfect I think 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 DC wizard, 1 DC fiend warlock, 1 melee DPS (make sure over 2500hp 200 PRR and must be a very good player), 1 ranged DPS is the best -
generally, ofc for each specific quest a certain group will do better.

Effective hp for melee dps IFF you have a good tank+healer, I'd put at 6000 +/- 500 depending on game latency, type of melee, etc.

Also I'd personally swap the DC wizard for a dc goolock, and the dc fiendlock for a dc sorcerer.

This would be my ideal 6 man group (without consideration for quest, as obviously that changes optimization):
  • Tank - no fail intim
  • Healer - preferably cleric with no fail blinds
  • DC caster goolock
  • DC caster sorc
  • Melee dps - preferably shintao handwrap monk
  • Ranged DPS - preferably one that can also handle traps but not if it involves a significant dps cost

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #19 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
So basic facts in reaper:

-Dedicated CC is mandatory
-Insta-killing is STRONG because DPSing down trash is just a non-starter. It takes forever and because CC effects don't last super long in r10, being able to thin out a group very quickly is valuable
-Tanks work if they are min-maxed to shit (everyone has to be min-maxed and focus only on what their role is supposed to be)
-Debuffs are effective because their penalty applies before reaper/dungeon scaling, e.g. the -25 damage provided from Purification stacks can actually translate to several hundreds point of damage.
-Ranged DPS don't have any serious advantage in a party with good CC, healing, and debuffs

So if I had the ability to craft the perfect party:

1. Enchantment-based Sorcerer.
-Chosen over Wizard because faster casting and lower cooldowns
-Using T5 harper because savant trees literally provide nothing useful when you're just DC casting (T5 Air for Wind Dance is fine over the +1 to DCs)
-Spells beyond the usual stuff like Mass Hold and Finger: Wave of Exhaustion, Crushing Despair, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Solid Fog to debuff bosses

2. Necro-based FvS
-Focuses on healing but throws around Destruction/Implosion when able
-Very specifically takes Rebuke Foe in Exalted Angel. This is why FvS is preferred over Cleric, because you need to be focused on healing and Archon will build Endless Ardor stacks for you.
-FvS is also chosen because Aura of Menace aids the DC abilities of the party members.
-also uses T5 harper because T5 AoV doesn't have anything useful
-Spells beyond the usual stuff: Symbol of Weakness to debuff bosses

3. Tank. Idk what the meta is for tank builds. Just a tank. Doesn't have to do anything but tank.

4. Unarmed Monk
-Provides debuffs Jade Strike (+10% damage vulnerability) Knock on the Sky (-20% damage) on bosses
-Provides good DPS and some CC

5/6. 2x max-DC Assassins
-Their single-target DPS is about on par with everything else (Sneak Attack is not penalized as much as other sources of damage) (I could be wrong that they're on par, I know they were at least decent damage before taking into account reaper mechanics, at the very least they're not bad DPS)
-They provide more insta-kills
-In Shadowdancer for higher Assassinate DC. Not a horrible loss in DPS compared to Dreadnought when you consider that Blitz will be unreliable, Shadowdancer provides 6d6 SA damage which is, again, scaled lower; and Shadowdancer Capstone provides another damage multiplier
-Can also get traps which can be obnoxious with r10's very long death timer

Other notes:
-EVERYONE except the DC caster takes Interrogation or Purge the Wicked (the t1 ability in Divine Crusader,) and at least one person takes Crusade+Consecrated Ground
-Someone with a source of Vulnerability is absolutely required
-Everyone should have Enervate Scrolls as they are the highest DPS in some situations

Total damage multiplier: 1.25 (5x stacks of Rebuke Foe) * 1.2 (20 stacks of Vulnerability) * 1.1 (Jade Strike) * 1.1 (Crusade) * 1.05 (Shadowdancer Capstone) = 1.91
Total damage debuff: -25 (Purification) + -11 average (Ray of Enfeeblement+Wave of Exhaustion+Crushing Despair+Solid Fog) + -9 average (Symbol of Weakness) = -45 damage before reaper/dungeon scaling, and then another -20% due to Knock on the Sky

Debuffing may warrant more testing, but I've gotten pretty amazing results (cutting damage in half, reducing some boss damage to *zero*) in some content.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:46am by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #20 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:59am
Print Post  
How to win @ reaper.

1. Find a safe spot.
2. Profit.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:49pm:
Dc casting dominates r10. Any video of r10 will highlight just how important CC and insta-killing is.

I’ve watched Rys’ R10 vids.  I was kinda surprised that a 82 Necro and 75 Enchantment DC were so effective at instaskills and charming, but it got the job done.  As much as Deep Gnome is attractive for ~100 DC PKs, it looks like the DC metagame is Necro/Enchantment especially with Ravenloft on the horizon.

4. Monkcher

Is the U36 monkcher still a 14 Monk/6 Ranger using shurikens but DWS T5 now? Trying to wrap my head around whether bows+AA are worth a damn in R10. Quick calcs say I can get mid-80s Enchantment DCs for Paralyzing Arrow ghetto CC.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:59am:
How to win @ reaper.

1. Find a safe spot.
2. Profit.

hydra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 12:01am:
Effective hp for melee dps IFF you have a good tank+healer, I'd put at 6000 +/- 500 depending on game latency, type of melee, etc.

More strong reasons why I’m steering away from melee DPS. With a Kensei T5 and Shadow Veil template for max avoidance, getting to 200 PRR with current gear isn’t possible even after a huge TR investment.  Theorycrafting 130 DC Dire Charge seems sexy though.

Bigjunk wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:02pm:
Barbarian
Bard
Hjealers x4

Antagonizing Shade on the forums was always a fun diversion.

Skrilla wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:13pm:
You can find 5 other people to make a full group? Lol.. ya right.. Grin

BYOG. We met playing DDO then drifted off to other games. It’s our “putting the band back together” Blues Brothers moment, and DDO is the huge trainwreck of police cars at the end of the movie.

EDIT: typos
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:40am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am:
Quick calcs say I can get mid-80s Enchantment DCs for Paralyzing Arrow ghetto CC.

I noticed something about terror arrows the other day in the new mines pack. It seems that they can bypass the mindless immunity of oozes and spiders. They were sporting the fear symbol and running away.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am:
BYOG. We met playing DDO then drifted off to other games. It’s our “putting the band back together” Blue Brothers moment, and DDO is the huge trainwreck of police cars at the end of the movie.

you won the internet

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  

After like the first 2 cars you realize that this is only a spectacle.
This is what the movies are for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint