Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Lama Divine Preview September 6th-8th. (Read 10710 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Lama Divine Preview September 6th-8th.
Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:06pm
Print Post  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Re: Lama Divine Preview September 6th-8th.
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A reworked Mimic Festival event

Cheesy  No further comment.

RevCo Quote:
Im abit skeptical on the any TR process as of late.

Renvar Quote:
He said LR, not TR. Different processes entirely.

RevCo Quote:
Thank you, but I have terrible luck so I'll wait and see once the patch is live. Then after the guinea pigs have done there changes and no reported issues I may take the dive.

That would be some kinda terrible luck to lose your TR cache in a process that doesn't even generate one! 

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
The 'tards come out at night. The 'tards come out at night.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:08pm:
That would be some kinda terrible luck to lose your TR cache in a process that doesn't even generate one! 

I mean... is that entirely out of the realm of possibility when it comes to SSG? There are also tomes that get lost on ER process which ignores tr cache completely. I wouldn't trust a LR either.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
An In-Client DDO Store

still scratching my head on how they fucked it up in the first place  Huh

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Other than the pain in the ass of waiting for a GM, I haven't seen a single person who didn't get tomes/karma back.  It's a whole other world.  I wouldn't trust them to code a boolean that doesn't overflow somehow, but if an LR goes anywhere near the cache code, I'd be, uhh... well, shocked is such a strong word...   Grin

Seriously though, this is such a rare bug.  How many TRs across Vaulties do you think there are at this point?  Couple of thousand?  And how many cache issues?  1 here...  It's probably less than a tenth of 1%.  It's just that the effects are so catastrophic.

It blows my mind that they're not on top of this.  This'll be the doom for the game more than anything else we've seen.  You have hardcore addicts who are just walking away rather than risking it.  If they'd just come out and say "we know it exists; it's also extremely rare, but listen - if you lose your stuff, you'll get back everything," people would sing their praises.  Giving back 3 items?  That's worse than nothing - they're creating animosity.  You don't trust that your players are telling the truth about what they had for gear, but you let a shard exploit go for a year and a half?  I've never seen anything like it.  It's suicide.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:18am:
Other than the pain in the ass of waiting for a GM, I haven't seen a single person who didn't get tomes/karma back.  It's a whole other world.  I wouldn't trust them to code a boolean that doesn't overflow somehow, but if an LR goes anywhere near the cache code, I'd be, uhh... well, shocked is such a strong word...   Grin

Seriously though, this is such a rare bug.  How many TRs across Vaulties do you think there are at this point?  Couple of thousand?  And how many cache issues?  1 here...  It's probably less than a tenth of 1%.  It's just that the effects are so catastrophic.

It blows my mind that they're not on top of this.  This'll be the doom for the game more than anything else we've seen.  You have hardcore addicts who are just walking away rather than risking it.  If they'd just come out and say "we know it exists; it's also extremely rare, but listen - if you lose your stuff, you'll get back everything," people would sing their praises.  Giving back 3 items?  That's worse than nothing - they're creating animosity.  You don't trust that your players are telling the truth about what they had for gear, but you let a shard exploit go for a year and a half?  I've never seen anything like it.  It's suicide.

Both ImtonE and Jacklalane (the people that started the really long threads on the forums) got everything back. In fact, everyone I know of got everything back. Sadly, the community gets stuck on hearsay and rumors. Where this "only 3" thing came from is a mystery to me, but at this point correcting people will only make it worse. As per Cordovan, fixing the TR cache issue is priority #1, and will likely involve a full rewrite of the entire TR process just to be safe.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:23am:
a full rewrite of the entire TR process just to be safe

God Help Us All.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Both ImtonE and Jacklalane (the people that started the really long threads on the forums) got everything back. In fact, everyone I know of got everything back. Sadly, the community gets stuck on hearsay and rumors. Where this "only 3" thing came from is a mystery to me, but at this point correcting people will only make it worse. As per Cordovan, fixing the TR cache issue is priority #1, and will likely involve a full rewrite of the entire TR process just to be safe.

It's funny, because I almost didn't write the "3" thing.  That never made much sense to me ("which fingers would you like to keep?"), but it's been bandied about so much *without* any corrections that I accepted it.  You guys are your own worst enemies, I swear.  It's never too late to correct shit like that.  There are people claiming GMs said that in chat - you know their accounts.  Paste some chat logs.

How many people do you know of?  And how did they get everything back, when there *are* logs of GMs saying they can't help people?  The implication of "everything" is that it's a known list.  Who provided that, the player? 

09-19-2015, 09:34 PM:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/465504-ugh-Epic-Reincarnation-lost-7-T...
Jot'll probably get mixed reviews around here, but I don't think anybody would accuse him of trying to scam some loot.  He hasn't gotten everything back.

The players don't feel like this is being taken seriously, and that's a far bigger problem than whether it is or not.  We know the task list is fucked up (can't log in for a month, store's been broken forever), but the very core of this game is two things - customization and reincarnation.  The D&D's long gone - we accept that.  But even the good shit, like combat... look at how many people are deep into PoE, and the combat system there is a fucking horror show.  But I can see every DPS and defensive option down to a hundredth of a point, in realtime, which is something that could be whipped up in an afternoon.

Customization's still great - classes matter in DDO; choices matter.  It's great.  Always has been.  Don't fuck up the only other advantage that's worth anything.  If you're working on text, you're not working on this bug.  If you're building Ravenloft, you're not working on this bug.  If you don't know the first thing about working on this bug, you need to be rolling up toons, getting them to 20, and trying like hell to break them.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Quote:
Mochi (Standing Stone Games Help)
May 13, 8:38 PM EDT
Greetings! Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm any information from your TR cache. I do apologize, but we are unable to assist you with this issue.

Standing Stone Games Customer Support.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:18am:
If you're working on text, you're not working on this bug. If you're building Ravenloft, you're not working on this bug. If you don't know the first thing about working on this bug, you need to be rolling up toons, getting them to 20, and trying like hell to break them.

Given that they've announced that it'll likely involve a full redo of Reincarnation, they probably know exactly what the problem is. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

In response to the quote from a few months ago, that was likely before the additional logging, as the people hit after the fact were able to just have their inventory restored.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:27am by Sailias »  

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:25am:
Given that they've announced that it'll likely involve a full redo of Reincarnation, they probably know exactly what the problem is.

probably know

probably

I'll take your word for it.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Given that they've announced that it'll likely involve a full redo of Reincarnation, they probably know exactly what the problem is. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

In response to the quote from a few months ago, that was likely before the additional logging, as the people hit after the fact were able to just have their inventory restored.

A full redo would make me less inclined to think they know what the problem is, but I'll take it.   Grin

Here's a total hypothetical post about "3 items:" If you lost ALL your gear while reincarnating.... (August 8th)
and one talking about I know a guy on G-Land that lost all of his stuff in a TR of some type. The GM "resolved" His issue by offering him any 3 named items (August 15th).  Maybe these are part of the myth.  "I know a guy" posts are always good, and valid.

(Party:): [To Party] I know a dude who looks like Reggie Watts.
(Party:): [Party] Ayzle: i know a dude that looks like ur mom

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:04am
Print Post  
anyway, it's not difficult to guess the source of the problem ( by the way guys, a full rewrite of the TR system is going to allow them to insert lots of tthings regarding TR Cache limitation, TR Cache traceability, TR Cache logs, TR Cache Indecent Amount of Duped Stuff warnings, TR Cache Duping detection, and more ).

The way the game works it needs to delete your character from the server before recreating it when you TR. ( for the LR it's little bit different, the character doesn't get deleted )
The problem is that when you delete a toon.. well you delete a toon, that does include ites bank, the inventory and what said toon is wearing.
Since you're doing a TR, and not actually deleting a toon, all that stuff needs to be put in a  temporary retrievable storage : The TR Cache
The TR Cache is just tied to your character by a character ID value givent at TR Time and it's not tied to the account... ( that's why they can't look into it without having to take over the account )
Basically there's a tablespace/database with all the TR Caches that's completely separate from the Account database/tablespace, and the only link between both is the character ID ( and maybe the name ). If that character ID gets screwed for whatever reason, you loose your cache.

The whole thing is done behind the scene when you enter the game after recreating your character :
When you press enter game at the last panel, the game tells the server to transfer all the stuff in the Character ID Cachen and delete teh character from it's database. Then it tells the server to create a new character with the new calues and add the Character ID as a tie in to the Cache. If anything goes wrong during that process you can fuck up your TR Cache and/or your character...

for the LR and all the other Reincarnations that do not completely reset a character I need to think a bit on how the process can be done. the only thing I'm certain of is that it does not involve a character delete/recreate contrary to the TR.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:50am:
A full redo would make me less inclined to think they know what the problem is, but I'll take it.   Grin

Here's a total hypothetical post about "3 items:" If you lost ALL your gear while reincarnating.... (August 8th)
and one talking about I know a guy on G-Land that lost all of his stuff in a TR of some type. The GM "resolved" His issue by offering him any 3 named items (August 15th).  Maybe these are part of the myth.  "I know a guy" posts are always good, and valid.

(Party:): [To Party] I know a dude who looks like Reggie Watts.
(Party:): [Party] Ayzle: i know a dude that looks like ur mom

Well if you are on g-land you can PM me and I will pass you his name and you can chat with him yourself if you like.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Someone with a title from the 2015 Player's Council made this comment:

Quote:
I seem to recall you've done something of the sort that way in the past ...

The problem with a LR solution and TR characters is that taking advantage of it immediately leads to an inventory nightmare, especially for those of us who are altoholics instead of focusing on a single toon

You don't have to empty your TR cache for an LR.  The level of mis-information and lack of basic game knowledge is shocking sometimes.

It's like people who are lactose intolerant saying "I can't have Almond Milk or Soy Milk.  It has 'Milk' in the title"

Just because Lesser Reincarnation and True Reincarnation share the one word in common does not mean they are the same thing.  Sigh.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
On the topic of TR cache.  Here is what I suspect they do:  (No actual knowledge of their DB Structure)

Table:  PlayerInventory
   PlayerID
   ItemID
   TabID
   Description
   Weight
   Properties
   Properties
   Properties

Table:  PlayerBank
   CharacterID
   ItemID
   TabID
   Description
   Weight
   Properties
   Properties
   Properties

Table: PlayerTRCache
  CharacterID
  ItemID
  Description
  Weight
  Properties
  Properites
  Properties

When it should look like this:

Table:  PlayerGear
   CharacterID
   ItemID
   LocationID
   Description
   Weight
   Properties
   Properties
   Properties

Where locationID can be:
1=Inventory
2=Bank
3=TR Cache

The difference is that if they store the items in different tables, moving them from one to the other requires an INSERT into the destination and a DELETE from the source table.  There is the possibility that the DELETE happens and the INSERT does not (lag, error, whatever).  Proper use of transactions should eliminate this, as well as referential integrity, but whatever.

The second example, all items are in one table.  Just a column for the location.  So that moving things from Inventory/Bank to cache on TR becomes:  UPDATE PlayerGear SET LocationID = 3 WHERE CharacterID = X and LocationID in (1,2). 

Now nothing can get lost.  If the statement fails the items are still in existence.  They are just not in the cache.  Much easier to resolve. 

And, yes, I know this is overly simplistic and I have no knowledge of their database design, technology or systems.  I'm just saying there are ways to skin this cat without risking losing data.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
While my two guildies did get most of their stuff back it was 3 weeks minimum for Jack and over a month for TonE, and that was after raising as much horseshit as possible on the forums.

Both of them were turned away by GMs repeatedly and it took Lynn logging into Cordo's in-game account and manually returning TonE's stuff. TonE is still missing lots of stuff.

Jack received all of his gear back on the nuts. Apparently, they do now have a system of getting a list of your gear. [For TonE they kept telling him this was impossible.]

I believe that this problem has been fixed to some extent, however...

...I'm just not willing to play this game if CS takes 6 hours to get back to you MAYBE and then most of them are FUCKING IDIOTS who can't help you anyway.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:04am:
anyway, it's not difficult to guess the source of the problem ( by the way guys, a full rewrite of the TR system is going to allow them to insert lots of tthings regarding TR Cache limitation, TR Cache traceability, TR Cache logs, TR Cache Indecent Amount of Duped Stuff warnings, TR Cache Duping detection, and more ).

This would be a problem for many people.

Including the ones who DIDN'T abuse features.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:15pm
Print Post  

Or, they know fuckall about this bug and can't figure it out so they've just decided to cut their losses and redo the whole system from the ground up.  20+ years in IT has taught me is that sometimes cutting your losses and starting fresh is the best option rather than spending days and months trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack, especially if there might be multiple needles to find.

Without specific communication from the devs working on the problem, we will never know so my theory is just as likely as yours.  Given the TR system has had known bugs in it for years and how many times SSG admitted that the old code and proprietary database systems are a mess, I'd say my odds are good.

Where SSG really went wrong though is their lack of useful communications to the player base about it and the train wreck of a customer service response to the people who were victims of this bug.  As usual, they added major insult to the injuries.

Issuing a "We're working on it" statement doesn't count as useful after months and years.  It's just PR BS.  Taking 2-4 weeks to make a victim whole (or only partially restoring them) also doesn't cut it.

Every company will have problems sooner or later.  How a company handles those problems and makes it right with their customers determines what customers will remember.   By that measure, SSG is terrible and the shitshow on the official forums shows it every day.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:20pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:09am:
On the topic of TR cache.  Here is what I suspect they do:  (No actual knowledge of their DB Structure)

[...]

The difference is that if they store the items in different tables, moving them from one to the other requires an INSERT into the destination and a DELETE from the source table.  There is the possibility that the DELETE happens and the INSERT does not (lag, error, whatever).  Proper use of transactions should eliminate this, as well as referential integrity, but whatever.

The second example, all items are in one table.  Just a column for the location.  So that moving things from Inventory/Bank to cache on TR becomes:  UPDATE PlayerGear SET LocationID = 3 WHERE CharacterID = X and LocationID in (1,2). 

Now nothing can get lost.  If the statement fails the items are still in existence.  They are just not in the cache.  Much easier to resolve. 

And, yes, I know this is overly simplistic and I have no knowledge of their database design, technology or systems.  I'm just saying there are ways to skin this cat without risking losing data. 

no Ash, beside the fact that tye have stated numerous time that the TR cache is not tied to an account, the way the game works makes it impossible to have either option :

- The TR Cache does not exist until you TR a character. ( corrolary : it's not in the initial character structure )
- When a TR Cache is 'lost' there is no way to get it back. ( corrolary : it is not tied to the account and not directly tied to the character )

The only way to do it the way the limitations make it look is by creating it at character 'destruction', while giving it a character ID, and adding that character ID to the character structure once it's recreated.
The character ID informs the game that there's a TR cache ( if no character ID, then no TR cache to open ), and the Character ID is also the Index that allows for the item retrieval.

It's clunky as hell, but it fits with the fact that TR was a late game addition to keep people busy, done with a limited ressource pool and a limited amount of money.
They couldn't afford to rebuild the whole datamodel just for it.

I do agree that either of the models you presented would have been better, but there's still that small issue that the game delete the character from the server before recreating it... and doing it your way would open a can of worm that Turbine SSG probably doesn't want opened.
( how do you store the items while the character is deleted from the server ? the only location where it's can be stored is in the client memory... do you ( as a player ) trust your client enough with your loot while your character is recreated ?... do you as SSG trust your client enough to be tamper proof while the character is recreated ? )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:42pm:
no Ash, beside the fact that tye have stated numerous time that the TR cache is not tied to an account, the way the game works makes it impossible to have either option :

- The TR Cache does not exist until you TR a character. ( corrolary : it's not in the initial character structure )
- When a TR Cache is 'lost' there is no way to get it back. ( corrolary : it is not tied to the account and not directly tied to the character )

The only way to do it the way the limitations make it look is by creating it at character 'destruction', while giving it a character ID, and adding that character ID to the character structure once it's recreated.
The character ID informs the game that there's a TR cache ( if no character ID, then no TR cache to open ), and the Character ID is also the Index that allows for the item retrieval.

It's clunky as hell, but it fits with the fact that TR was a late game addition to keep people busy, done with a limited ressource pool and a limited amount of money.
They couldn't afford to rebuild the whole datamodel just for it.

I do agree that either of the models you presented would have been better, but there's still that small issue that the game delete the character from the server before recreating it... and doing it your way would open a can of worm that Turbine SSG probably doesn't want opened.
( how do you store the items while the character is deleted from the server ? the only location where it's can be stored is in the client memory... do you ( as a player ) trust your client enough with your loot while your character is recreated ?... do you as SSG trust your client enough to be tamper proof while the character is recreated ? )

I don't get that data model.  Why delete the character at all?  That's completely unnecessary.  (and a waste of processing and I/O).  I would disagree with that design.  But then I don't know their system.  Maybe there are valid reasons.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  

As someone who's lost items to the TR cache gods, I was told I could keep 3 items from the list I gave them of missing items. That's not hyperbole or a knee jerker reaction, wish I had screenshotted that exchange like I did when I got banned for opening tickets over losing items to the TR cache bug.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
As someone who's lost items to the TR cache gods, I was told I could keep 3 items from the list I gave them of missing items. That's not hyperbole or a knee jerker reaction, wish I had screenshotted that exchange like I did when I got banned for opening tickets over losing items to the TR cache bug.

That's in-game GM chat?  It wouldn't surprise me if there's a total disconnect between what "the company" thinks is going on ("we restore everything") and what the GMs do.  That's always been the case.

When was this?  Pre-"additional logging" ?

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #24 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
That's in-game GM chat?  It wouldn't surprise me if there's a total disconnect between what "the company" thinks is going on ("we restore everything") and what the GMs do.  That's always been the case.

When was this?  Pre-"additional logging" ?

Definitely pre-additional logging. I haven't exactly played the game in around 6-8 months enough to warrant any paying attention to my cache. Definitely happened before my break.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint