Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Whats more fun than... ? (Read 2190 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Whats more fun than... ?
Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
So I just TRd into a bladeforged paladin with plans to go pure-pali sword and board all the way to 30.

Less than two levels later, I'm bored to shit of this. I recal having a fantastic time last time, but this time... Well, it seems to be less fun than I had originally thought(no matter how much fun it is to go smashing headlong into mobs).

So, I've got a +20 heart in the bank. Whats a fun build I can turn into when I get board shitless?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Re: Whats more fun than... ?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 2:07am
Print Post  
From my experience, pure builds are usually the most straightforward and boring of them all, even if they're considered optimal at any given time. I always have a lot more fun doing something weird or gimmicky.

Do an unconventional build that mixes Druid's Season Herald with Sorcerer's Fire Savant (during summer) and Air Savant (during winter). Bonus points if you add in Artificer levels for those electric SLAs.

Or a half-elf dragonmarked Air Savant who uses Call Lightning Storm. I suppose you could again splash in a few Arti levels for electric SLAs too.

Or make a Battle Engineer build that mixes runearm damage with Sorcerer Savant spells or Eldritch Knight for a "battle mage" theme.

Or a build with 6 levels of Ranger for the Deepwood Sniper bluff attack core ability, which allows you to capitalize on sneak attacks and take some Rogue and/or Monk levels. I guess you could also combine the DWS bluff attack with Winter Wolf sneak attack damage as well. Do people even do wolf builds these days?

Of course, none of these ideas would be able to solo EE or whatever, so if that's your idea of "fun" then my suggestions are going to be stupid. But usually, from my experience, mixing in some weird class splashes can be pretty fun. I tend to just build whichever role I'd like to play, rather than just asking myself "okay, what's the most optimal or powerful build at the moment?" If I want to play as a wolf, then I'll make a wolf build, or if I want to make a battle mage build, I'll do that, even if none of it is flavor of the month. That, to me, is more FUN, though of course your mileage may vary. Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 6:03am
Print Post  
I could be wrong, but aren't you supposed to go THF with a bladeforged instead of sword and board anyways?  I was under the impression their power lies with a maul, not a sword.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Sword and board is a flavor build unless you go full retard tank (which is pointless for a solo-er like you.) The best paladin (and soon to be cleric) DPS build is THF Silvanus Maul. Unfortunately you can't get there with a LR. No Bard, Barb, or druid either without an alignment change. Assuming you want to stay melee, you could go Shintao, Tempest, Kensei, or Assassin. There are good builds out there for all of those. They usually don't call for bladeforged or warforged, but that can make it more fun I suppose. Or you could wait a week or two and roll a war domain cleric with the next update.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
THF is definitely *better* for Bladeforged, but I had been really wanting to do this sword and board life(or, rather, I THOUGHT I did...) I like bladeforged all around, I like the self-healing from communion of scribing, I like the over-all look and feel. Its my favorite race. But I just got off a THF life and wanted something different. I also had a bunch of awesome bastard swords I was excited about using.

I'm not set on it, but I could also really use the paladin PL for an upcoming barbarian life.

Hmmm, what about doing something like 8 paladin/6 ranger/6 fighter and dual-wielding bastard swords? I really like 6-ranger splash melee builds because you also get juuuuust enough boosts to make ranged damage not a waste of time.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 1:59pm:
Hmmm, what about doing something like 8 paladin/6 ranger/6 fighter and dual-wielding bastard swords? I really like 6-ranger splash melee builds because you also get juuuuust enough boosts to make ranged damage not a waste of time.

It should get the job done. Go for the Sense Weakness/Balanced Attacks combo when you hit epic.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Favored by Silvanus
Usage: Passive
Prerequisite: Level 1: Cleric, Favored Soul, Paladin
Race:Deep Gnome, Purple Dragon Knight, Shadar-kai