Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Sentient Weapons News? (Read 6467 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Sentient Weapons News?
Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I hear rumblings on the Motherboards that the devs may have released some information about the sentient weapons during a DDO podcast. Since abhor the term "podcast" with all my heart, I don't know what was said, and the motherboard posting appear to be "what was said, plus all of my retarded ideas!"

Anyone know what was ACTUALLY released?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Sentient Weapons News?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
N/M, found my own answer on the Wiki:

Quote:
Sentient weapons are no longer going to be something that levels up with you, it's now going to be an end-game only thing. The reason is that the devs stated that they realise that there is currently little incentive or reason to stay and play at cap, and that it is going to be their focus for a while to give people incentives to stay and play at cap and that the sentient weapons is an opportunity for them to do that.

Also, the mechanical & flavour elements of sentient weapons will be decoupled, so that you will be free to choose your weapons personality/voice and abilities separately. The reason for this was b/c it is their intention is that you won't be put in a situation where you feel forced to choose a personality that really annoys you just b/c it's abilities are deemed the most optimal for your build, which could happen if they were packaged together. (That is, of course, unless Cordo & Torc get their way and the most powerful weapon has the personality of a kobold ...... ).

Translation: more lvl 30 gear no on will give a shit about.

Quote:
Cordovan:
We'll have a lot more on Sentient Weapons as we get closer to release, but they will be high-level items acquired through the Ravenloft content, and their personality will be separated from the rest of the item so you can select the item you want and the personality you want. At it's core we are using an Augment-like system for both personality and benefit.

Translation: new crafting system for you to not give a shit about.

You know what would encourage me to stay and play at cap? FUCKING TR GEAR.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
This decision ought to surprise no one.

It's much easier to make a shit weapon that stays at one ML than to make a shit weapon that slowly gains enough xp to be shit at all levels.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Yeah I shouldn't be at all surprised, but I am.

They just keep finding new ways to disappoint.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:04pm:
Since abhor the term "podcast" with all my heart

How do you feel about "vlog?"

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:32pm:
How do you feel about "vlog?"

There's a little less hatred because its not specifically named for a retarded device, but by the same token they are much more annoying because you have to see some ugly SOB's face.

And let's be real, here: anyone who's ever created a 'vlog' and actually called it that would have to be ugly as sin Tongue

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I'm fine with the weapon not being TR usable gear.  We have enough of that. 

There are plenty of systems to encourage and support TRing.  We need some stuff to do at cap.  This game has been all about the TR for the last year or more.  I'd like an end game.    It's fine if you disagree.  But not every system, in my opinion, needs to serve the TR bandwagon player contingent.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:08pm:
Cordovan:
We'll have a lot more on Sentient Weapons as we get closer to release, but they will be high-level items acquired through the Ravenloft content, and their personality will be separated from the rest of the item so you can select the item you want and the personality you want. At it's core we are using an Augment-like system for both personality and benefit.

So not only is it level cap gear you'll only ever use to grind the 2 raids (at most) to get it in a redundant circle-jerk of grind, it's also CONTENT locked behind an expansion pack paywall.

The fail keeps right on truckin'.

You know what would've been better than sentient weapons from Ravenloft?

Visible Cloaks.

I'd literally pay real world money to see my cloaks like in LotRO.

I'd pay additional money if it was an epic Strahd sytle vampie cloak with the high collar.

I'd pay ALL THE MONIES if it was a cloak like Batman's (Cloak of the Bat, it's in the lore) that occasionally fluttered even when there was no wind and I wasn't moving. I'd take out a mortgage if it had the matching cowl.

We know they can't design gear for shit, but the art department still earns their cheques, so they should lean on that instead.

Revaulting wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
It's much easier to make a shit weapon that stays at one ML than to make a shit weapon that slowly gains enough xp to be shit at all levels.

I LOL'd harder than I should have at this.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:41pm:

Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:51pm:
I LOL'd harder than I should have at this.

What makes it even sader: being stuck to one ML would have been ok if we got to pick the ML, or if it was just a lower ML.

Making it ML 30 is just a fucking waste of time. They could give it to me as a completed, fully upgraded weapon, I'd still never use it.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:38pm:
And let's be real, here: anyone who's ever created a 'vlog' and actually called it that would have to be ugly as sin

Oh yeah.  Great face for podcasts.   Grin

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
Making it ML 30 is just a fucking waste of time.

Ive ssen nothing that says it will be ML 30.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:05pm:
Ive ssen nothing that says it will be ML 30. 

Quote:
it's now going to be an end-game only thing.

You're right, that doesn't EXPRESSLY say it will be ML30.

The rest of the paragraph:

Quote:
Sentient weapons are no longer going to be something that levels up with you, it's now going to be an end-game only thing. The reason is that the devs stated that they realize that there is currently little incentive or reason to stay and play at cap, and that it is going to be their focus for a while to give people incentives to stay and play at cap and that the sentient weapons is an opportunity for them to do that.

Yeah, does not specifically state ML30, but we can bet it'll be 29 or 28 at the absolute fucking MINIMUM, because when was the last time they made an epic item that wasn't 28? Most likely itll be 30, because the devs think players want to hang around at 30 grinding when they could be TRing.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I think it entirely reasonable to think Sentient Weapons could be 29-30.

VERY few weapons are ML 29 or ML 30. A couple exceptions are Storm's Harness Handwraps (ML 29) and First Light Light Hammer (ML 30). Also, you could make some ML 29 and 30 Cannith-Crafted weapons but the named stuff is usually way better.

There are TONS of level 28 weapons (including Complete Thunderforged Weapons), however.

ML 28 weapons are covered. I'd guess Sentient Weapons will be ML 29 or ML 30.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Theres also all the armors from Legendary Tempest Spine that are ML 29.

Thing is we dont need more ML29 weapons because they are only good for 1 level. I usually dont even bother to pull out my ML 28 crap.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:53am
Print Post  
I personally hope that they are ML 30. I won't bother with them if they are.

However it could put an end to the need for "end game" stuff discussions based on what "their data" shows.

So if you are a "we needs end game!" player, you had better grind that shit like mad.

If people don't, and won't come back for it, I wouldn't expect more to follow.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #15 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:53am:
If people don't, and won't come back for it, I wouldn't expect more to follow.

Nope, they will release at least 5 more end game crafting systems before deciding to hire someone to revamp end game.  This new person will create a whole new end game crafting system.

- Zorro

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:48am
Print Post  
I agree with noamineo that more TR items would be a better route than endgame equipment. Perhaps DDO doesn't have a good, healthy endgame in my eyes, or perhaps I'm simply not attracted to the idea of endgame, regardless of the MMO. But as far as DDO is concerned, I see endgame as: grind loot to play endgame raids at a higher difficulty; play endgame raids at a higher difficulty to obtain loot which helps you play the same endgame raids at a higher difficulty; rinse and repeat. It's just incredibly grindy from my perspective, and even though TR is technically a grind as well, a heroic TR is at least going through hundreds of different quests, so the grind feels a lot more varied.

Personally if I'm playing an MMO, what I need is a sense of progression and variance. The heroic TR system has historically offered this, and is a large part of what I enjoyed about DDO. So in the end, I agree that being able to grind out items which would assist during the TR adventure would be more helpful in the long run.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Mr Reilly wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:25am:
Nope, they will release at least 5 more end game crafting systems before deciding to hire someone to revamp end game.  This new person will create a whole new end game crafting system.

I like it. We need more end game crafting systems. 5 isn't enough. Don't incentivize tr some more. mise well delete lvs 21-30.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

shadowgate
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I guess that idea kind of works. If the weapon gains XP at use you'll be forced to spend time as a high level grinding content to level it. If it's just another crafting system for talking weapons then fuck that shit. It sounds like just another way to add more grind but this time with high level content no one wants to run.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 6:39am
Print Post  
shadowgate wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:14am:
It sounds like just another way to add more grind

I wouldn't expect anything different.
Most likely will be better than every other weapon ( like super crit multi and 20 stats or stuff like that ) and require hundred bazillions of xp. And look like shit on top of that.
Keep the ocd hamsters going. Because "moar content" lol.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #20 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Yes.  New content and systems will include grind.  Duh.  MMO. 

Do you go to church and get surprised or upset when they pass the offering plate?   Duh.  No shit Sherlock.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #21 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:16am
Print Post  
You'd be surprised how un-grindy POE is. They restart the League server every 3 months with a new theme, mechanic, or part of the game. I mean you can compete for 100 bjillion currency on standard but most people give fuck all about that.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:44am:
Yes.  New content and systems will include grind.  Duh.  MMO. 

Do you go to church and get surprised or upset when they pass the offering plate?   Duh.  No shit Sherlock. 

You'd be praising the devs if you were the only person online.
Which is not that far from less than a hundred at times now.
And I don't get the religion, sorry.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #23 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 6:39am:
I wouldn't expect anything different.
Most likely will be better than every other weapon ( like super crit multi and 20 stats or stuff like that ) and require hundred bazillions of xp. And look like shit on top of that.
Keep the ocd hamsters going. Because "moar content" lol.

The highlighted area will be the only part of this statement to be untrue.

The Art department delivers on a consistent basis.

Everyone else... Not so much.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:54pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:52pm:
The highlighted area will be the only part of this statement to be untrue.

The Art department delivers on a consistent basis.

Everyone else... Not so much.

Zuggtmoy's throne room illustrates this perfectly. Honestly, the haphazard design that DDO does? Same thing in Warframe, but the designers there are competent, and it works. Get a good idea, throw away what you were working on, build the new thing for six months instead. Here? They haven't been bold like that since Cannith Challenges.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint