Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Warlock/Paladin Optimal Split? (Read 4424 times)
Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Warlock/Paladin Optimal Split?
Oct 17th, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
After I realized just how badly my lack of gear was hurting me, I've decided to TR my sorc into a heavy survivability Paladin/Warlock Build.
But I tested it out on a new bladeforged and realized that ASF affects my eldritch blasts and eldritch wave, and now I'm not sure what to do.

My original idea was to have a Pal 5/ Wlk 15 split using Soul Eater and Sacred Defender, along with Communion of Scribing, Adamantine Body, and Tower Shields (with SM and ISM).

Now I'm thinking Pal 3/Wlk 17 with Mithral Body and SE.
I'd like to at least be able to solo Elites at level without any significant difficulty.
I ran an ES before and found it boring. It also made me overestimate myself, leading to my present difficulties with my lvl 10 DB sorc.

I really don't have any good gear at all. Any suggestions/critiques would be appreciated.

EDIT: What I'm asking specifically is whether Mithral Body without Enlightened Spirit or Skyvault Shield will be sufficient survivability, given LOH and Comm of Scribing, and what levels of Paladin I can take before the added saves from Divine Grace start cutting into my DPS too much.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2017 at 8:54pm by Arganthonius »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Warlock/Paladin Optimal Split?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Optimal splits are

20 warlock

18 warlock 2 paladin

20 paladin

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I have a 18/2 that I use to farm slavers and new gear. it's effective up to r3. After r3 the damage drops off too much for me to kill easily. first life, no tomes, only few EDs capped and it's still the easiest and laziest build I have ever played.

easy to gear up, ASf will be 4% using adam body, not major for e-r3 at all. recon hits for 1700.

feats; max, empower, intensify, quicken, wellspring, scion fire, shield mastery, imp shield mastery, shield deflection, eldritch blasts x2. hellball is prolly better than intensify, but I don't have tons of sp pots. 

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:36pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information.
Is the third level of Paladin really not worth it? You get Sacred Defense and +15 PRR and MRR on top of that (so 25 total) or +3 to all saves.

Also, I really don't want to go ES. I didn't like it when I went pure and I don't think I'll like it the second time through.
Soul Eater gives better single-target DPS and has less dead time.

Sinking points into Sacred Defender with 3 levels of Paladin lets me grab 20% sacred bonus to hit points, the same I would have gotten by going pure Warlock.

Is it better to go Mithral Body or go with a shield?
Does the Warlock 'no ASF in light armor' apply to Mithral and/or Composite Body?

Also, I have basically no good gear at all. My sorc is level 10 and is suffering severe difficulty when soloing. What quests should I be focusing on for easy leveling and decent items?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Arganthonius wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:18pm:
Is the third level of Paladin really not worth it? You get Sacred Defense and +15 PRR and MRR on top of that (so 25 total) or +3 to all saves.

Sort of. You lose the 18th lv cores. They're really good in ES due to lowering aura tick down to 2 seconds per tick, but only ok in SE because it's 5% spell critical chance. You gain a few more saves just from being in 3rd pally level without needing to take defender stance +3 to saves.

Sinking points into Sacred Defender with 3 levels of Paladin lets me grab 20% sacred bonus to hit points, the same I would have gotten by going pure Warlock.

probably should if not going 18 core ES.

Is it better to go Mithral Body or go with a shield?
Does the Warlock 'no ASF in light armor' apply to Mithral and/or Composite Body?

Mithral can be reduced to 0 asf with augment and BF tree. Worth it. Tack on skyvault for no asf, but you lose a lot of dodge cap from tower shield. IDK if they fixed robot body armors, those were usually problematic for things like this.

Also, I have basically no good gear at all. My sorc is level 10 and is suffering severe difficulty when soloing. What quests should I be focusing on for easy leveling and decent items?

Heroic slavers. bring a capped toon and farm it. best low lv heroic gear in game by far. craft a 5pc dc set. totally worth and bta for any other caster toon you want to pass it to. the dragon prophecy quests; black and blue and newcomers have some amazing gear, and for lv 15 grab the mines pack for some of the best named heroic loot. rest will be cannith crafted.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
I don't have the Mines or Dragonborn packs yet, and won't for some time. I'm not getting Ravenloft anytime soon either. I have every other pack. Slavers seems good until level 15, when I can get Con+8.

That's a 5 pc crafted set, or using the named items? The trinket and staff seem nice.
A Con +6/ Resistance/Exp Con 1 seems obvious enough, and I can think of two other really nice ones for any caster.

I should probably mention that my goal for this toon is to, at level 20 in suboptimal destinies, be able to solo Heroic Zawabi's Revenge, Slave Lords, Gianthold Tor (with dragons), Necro 4, and Search and Rescue.
Preferably I can solo these at level on elite, to get the gear I want faster.
Ideally at cap I can solo Haunted Halls and Fall of Truth.
Considering almost all of my gear is below level and lootgen, and assuming this isn't going to change the next life, is this a reasonable expectation, and what numbers (HP, PRR, saves, spellpower, etc.) should I be shooting for?

Thank you once again. You've been a great help so far.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Arganthonius wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 11:58pm:
Slavers seems good until level 15, when I can get Con+8.

That's a 5 pc crafted set, or using the named items?

slavers is good until epic cap for all dc casters. use any combination you like. doesnt matter really.

I should probably mention that my goal for this toon is to, at level 20 in suboptimal destinies, be able to solo Heroic Zawabi's Revenge, Slave Lords, Gianthold Tor (with dragons), Necro 4, and Search and Rescue

easily done and should be doing on elite at level too.

Ideally at cap I can solo Haunted Halls and Fall of Truth.

fot may still kill you from dragon debuffs, 4 breath attacks, and reaver's boom.

what numbers (HP, PRR, saves, spellpower, etc.) should I be shooting for?

youre going to be dc casting and not es tanking so max charisma and just try to cover enchant+necro  items. spell focus 2 on slavers covers enough of everything. you will still want insightful spell focus items for ench/nec.

for a dc build check thes threads for ap and feats; http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1488562924/75#75

heroic- 29 gear sets: http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1492272151/15#15

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:21am
Print Post  
This made me lawl

SpaceGoat wrote on Oct 17th, 2017 at 9:36pm:
Optimal splits are

20 warlock

18 warlock 2 paladin

20 paladin

IP Logged

rockz
Korthos Resident

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:18am
Print Post  
War15/Pal3/Wiz2

You can get 0% asf in adamantine body with this split.

I hate having any %asf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint