Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2017- The Winter of Greensteel Weapons? (Read 3169 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

2017- The Winter of Greensteel Weapons?
Dec 27th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
So I was running some Pussy Skulls Reaper the other day on my main... Rocking the traditional GS weapons I had worked so hard to make (legit) back in the day.

And then I started paying attention to the numbers rolling by, which looked something like this:

12+ 0 +0 +1+0 +1 +0 +0 *IMMUNE*

And I thought... "Shit... This stuff is fucking pointless now... Even the DR breaking is near worthless with no slots."

So my question is this: IS this the end of Greensteel weapons?

This is specifically about the heroic weapons, the wearable items have different functionality and so aren't really affected by the Reaper shift (although the lack of slots hurts).

Because 1d6 (Element Here) + 1d6 Holy + Random Effect that's 90% useless (Bleed *ahem*) + Clickie that's Never used (Triple Positive excluded) and + 3d6 Bursting on crits doesn't really hold a candle to:

Free Barovian Widget that's 3d6 Holy and 3d6 Fire + Silver + Undead Bane on EVERY HIT that you get for just running down a path and surviving an ambush. Oh, and it has a Red Slot.

Even the Macabre weapons are better than a Lit2 greensteel it seems, at least for Reaper. Grinding out damage a handful at a time and hoping for the miracle of a Lightning Strike (at 70% strength maximum) seems like so much wasted time and effort.

I'm wondering if it's time to clear some inventory space and maybe salvage a few Essences of Cleansing with these weapons.

Discuss.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: 2017- The Winter of Greensteel Weapons?
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
It's been near worthless to make new generic DPS GS weapons (such as lit2) for years.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I don't pitch mine from the characters that have had them for years.  The Min II are nice for DR breaking and the fact that they have high durability.  So they work well for random PL getting.

But I certainly wouldn't craft any and don't think they are top of the line.  They are kinda like the eveningstar turn in items for level 20's.  Functional, but unimpressive.  I'd say their run was around 7 years.  2008-2015.  That's really outstanding for loot.  Only a few unique items (voice, PLIS, Bauble, etc ) had a longer run.

P.S.  I do still wear some GS crafted accessories while leveling.  At level 11, they are still worthwhile, so their run is unbroken, imo.  Although ravenloft may be the nail in that...coffin.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 10:51am:
It's been near worthless to make new generic DPS GS weapons (such as lit2) for years.

I don't know if this was entirely the case... Just prior to Reaper Railroad I made a Rad2 item for my main's Ranger Redux life that was good times... That no-save Blind was gold for adding a lot of sneak attack damage.

But then Reaper rolled around and now Rad2 is replaced almost entirely by Deception and LootGen that has way more "d's" than GS.

Sad, really.

I still have a bunch of accessories for Lvl 11, but even they are starting to show their age now.

My once beloved Triple Negative Cloak has been sitting unused in the TR Cache for 3 lives and the only thing I use anymore is my Con-Op necklace for the easy +6 WIS, +10 Haggle and +45 HP.

I am certain I am never making another weapon, that's for sure.

Asheras wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:47pm:
The Min II are nice for DR breaking and the fact that they have high durability.  So they work well for random PL getting.

I was using a GS Min2 when I noticed the numbers... I still enjoy its DR breaking, but that's some extremely limited utility that's easier to get elsewhere these days.

I'll likely keep the Min2's, but I'm thinking maybe my Lit2 Longswords are about to become Essences of Cleansing at the Altar.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I havent made a new item for many years now..some of it wouldnt be to bad.. im not running heroic shroud tho...

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 2:59pm:
I'll likely keep the Min2's, but I'm thinking maybe my Lit2 Longswords are about to become Essences of Cleansing at the Altar.

You cleansed weapons?  Huh

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I don't run reaper because of things like that.  Reaper took away most of the fun of the game for me.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 2:59pm:

? What do you mean? Turning GS into essences of cleansing?

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Heroic GS is still the tits for those of us that are running  RPLs/HPLs and questing @ R1-3 balancing Time in Quest vs Quest XP vs RXP.

Needing to fill out EPLs so might as well take Scion of Arborea @ 30.

ConcOp Khopesh Holy/Exc Str/Hamp on my main
ConcOp Scimi Hamp/ExcInt/Hamp on my main alt

Hamp is great, Temp HP procs are great, SP procs are nice too but not always needed.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I just want to craft a pair of LIT 2 handwraps, even though they are irrelevant. Maybe I will login eventually and do that.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 4:01pm:
You cleansed weapons?  Huh

My bad.

I was fairly certain at one point an Essence of Cleansing could be recovered from deconstructing a Tier 3, but I must have been mistaken.  Embarrassed

Looks like just the blank is what's recovered (actually logged in to check this).
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:26pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:26am:
Heroic GS is still the tits for those of us that are running  RPLs/HPLs and questing @ R1-3 balancing Time in Quest vs Quest XP vs RXP.

Needing to fill out EPLs so might as well take Scion of Arborea @ 30.

ConcOp Khopesh Holy/Exc Str/Hamp on my main
ConcOp Scimi Hamp/ExcInt/Hamp on my main alt

Hamp is great, Temp HP procs are great, SP procs are nice too but not always needed.

I would have agreed with this until recently... The Reaper damage attenuation means that even in R1 most of the GS On-Hit damage is reduced to zero... Since it's only d6.

Maybe Triple Positive weapons get a pass because of their Disruption effect and Raise Dead clickie. I won't even mention my anecdotal evidence that this might not even be the case, as one Reaper run through Graveyard Shift ground my Tri-Pos Maul to powder...

I love my wearable greensteel, but the weapons have "Had their time in the Sun" I think.

DR breaking is easier to get at lower levels with CC or just running through Into the Mists (For Silver + Good + Red Slot at least). Also, it seems the Barovian/Macabre weapons drop regularly in chests so it's unlikely you'll have to Wish Upon a Star for the one you want. And you can exchange Vistani Tokens for them as well (I already have dozens I don't know what to do with).

It pains me to say all this, because I scraped and scrounged to build all my GS legit, but I guess all good things come to an end...  Cry
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:40pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:21pm:
I was fairly certain at one point an Essence of Cleansing could be recovered from deconstructing a Tier 3, but I must have been mistaken. 

I think it can, but there was never a need to cleanse weapons, just equipment.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
I think it can, but there was never a need to cleanse weapons, just equipment.

iirc.. it cant even be used on weapons.. they clearly state they get satiated from the killing of enemies..

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
for weapons triple pos is the only viable option. other than that, dunno.
maybe an ooze weapon for fun and giggles.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

^_^
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I got rid of everything except my triple positive offhand for heal scroll swap.

Con Op is pointless now.  HP item is kinda 'meh' when I'm rocking 800~1200 hp at level 12.  I'm usually playing either monk, arti or warlock so displacement clickies aren't as useful anymore.

I see some arti's using a ooze repeater for shits and grins.  There doesn't seem to be a soft cap on them like there is for legendary ooze so you can sometimes see them shit out like 20 of the things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint