Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Returning after 5+ years, need advice (Read 4124 times)
Wig
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Returning after 5+ years, need advice
Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I know I don't post much but I quit sometime directly after the eveningstar release. Trying to catch up on all the content. Could anyone explain to me what I should be getting if I want to run "reaper" content? It seems like the new elite but I don't know how tweaked I need to be to be able to run anything. My most geared dude only has 3pl and 0epic pl and 0 racial pl. I'm just sort of looking for some good general builds/frameworks for continuing tr'ing or what gear to grind for tr'ing. From what I've read it seems cannith crafting is the shit so I'll have to grind that but I was really wondering about other things like Slavers, the newest expansion, level 30 builds.

Furthermore should I just server transfer to Orien? Lfms seem dead on Khyber when I run and Orien has a much larger pop.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Returning after 5+ years, need advice
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I would suggest uninstalling. You were free, why would you come back?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Wig
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:43pm:
I would suggest uninstalling. You were free, why would you come back?

There was a hole in me I couldn't fill when I finished Divinity.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
You only come back for Reaper? It is not worth it.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Wig wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:25pm:
Could anyone explain to me what I should be getting

A friend. To knock some sense into you. We can't help you with that, though. Instead, there's Epoch. If you have any trouble following Epoch's advice, please don't hesitate to PM him with further questions.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I would just do racials. Start with r1/r2 and work your way up to higher.. crunch all your vendor loot for cannith essences. Get your crafting up. Then make some shit.

Do some heroic slaver runs for a day. And should be set with that. Then find a little named gear and weapons here and there.. most of what you missed is now garbage anyways.. its not hard to "catch up"..

Past lives/reaper pts are the only things that stay worth a shit.. almost all this ravenloft shit will be trash in a few months too.. so fuck grinding the epic shit.. do them racials with mostly crafted grar and a few named items depending on your build.. when youre done with racials in 6 to 9 months.. then start looking into end game gear.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Racial PL's give you the AP on the 3rd completion of each race. Epic and Iconic stack 3x with themselves. Doing 3 heroic and then 3 Epic/Iconic bounces you between different content a bit. I went after the PDK sprint boost first from Iconic and Fast Healing from Epic.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Wig wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
There was a hole in me I couldn't fill when I finished Divinity.

You think DDO will fill a hole left by Divinity?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hope I made my point.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Fuckwit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
It may not fill a hole, but at least it’s filled with a holes.

Seriously, though: quit playing.

IP Logged

Mr
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Here's your advice - Wait 5 more years!

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
When you're ready to stack up 1-20 past lives, buy the Slavers pack and the Ravenloft expansion.

Then grind out a 3-piece Beacon set, and 5-piece Adherent set, and a 5-piece Slaver's set.

Focusing on iconic and epic lives first is more bang for buck though.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:13am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
First:  After 5 years, as you can see, the Vault has a high population of disenfranchised folks. 

Second:  Yes, find a server that fits your play time.  Khyber is active during US peak times.  (6pm eastern - midnight eastern during the week).  But if you play off those hours, it is a bit more spartan.

Third:  You want 36 point build characters.  From there, past lives are helpful, but not required.   There are some "easy button" builds with low past life and gearing requirements.  Look in the builds section here for the shuriken thrower builds, warlock builds, or rogue x-bow builds.  Any of those will perform nicely in raiding or the typical elite/R1-R4 runs that are done with pugs.   Also, clerics recently got some nice new features and a strong cleric is always welcome in the group.  Since most loot (non-raid) is bta now days, you can build your gear this way.  And they can do more than heal.  You can make a strong DC casting version, a strong SLA version, and some of the best tanks are clerics/cleric multiclasses.

Fourth:  Gear is easier to get than ever.  Look into the cannith crafting on the wiki.  It is pretty easy to get involved with and you can make stuff that is more powerful than all but the named stuff from the last 5-6 updates.   It will get you to 85-90% of the power of most players pretty quickly.  And leveling it up to an effective level isn't too tough.   Ask for help, or people's random gen items from chests (so you can disjunct them for essences) and they will probably give them to you.  Most players are leaving them in chests.  For named stuff, hit slavers (which runs daily), hit Ravenloft, and hit Mines of Tethymar.  Run Baba, Strahd, and legendary shroud raids as often as you can. 

Best advice:  Don't worry about being behind or feeling overwhelmed about catching up.  Nobody cares if you don't have all the PL's or best gear and it doesn't really matter.  The more you play to have fun, the less likely you are to get burned out or all torqued up over shit.   

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:32am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:11pm:
You only come back for Reaper? It is not worth it.

Fuck you and YOUR FUN IS WRONG attitude.

@OP: I came back after 4 years for reaper.  It did not disappoint.  Yes, Cannith Crafting is the way to go for TRing.  More important than gear: Find people who share your attitude and play time.  Soloing your way through lives is a lonely existence.  If you're going to stay at cap, Ravenloft gear is OP. You'll still be running Slavers for a hat, and more Slavers if you're a DC caster.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Asheras and 5fs pretty much hit all the points, but I'll add this:

Sharn Syndicate: They updated the items, so it's very good twink gear. You can't craft items that good at that level. It's worth grinding out a few runs, especially now, since you don't have to keep that family of suicidal freaks alive in Bookbinder.

Three-Barrel Cove: The items have some limited utility, but they are good when you need them at Lvl 5.

Red Fens: All these items got updated too. Not the worst thing in the world to have on hand.

You no longer need all the Sigil pieces for entrance into Litany of the Dead. Farm one completed Sigil and forget about it forever after. You can then keep the other sigil-frame to manage inventory of just pass pieces in the chest to people who want them.

Temple of Elemental Evil: While a running joke, has some decent named items and the crafted weapons are very good if you don't have Greensteel stockpiled from before. They are grindy to make however, since the devs didn't reduce their ingredient costs (like Slavers Gear) so your patience may be tested.

Like Asheras said, have some fun and don't stress too much... It's just a game.  Wink

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Wig
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:21am:
Asheras and 5fs pretty much hit all the points, but I'll add this:

Sharn Syndicate: They updated the items, so it's very good twink gear. You can't craft items that good at that level. It's worth grinding out a few runs, especially now, since you don't have to keep that family of suicidal freaks alive in Bookbinder.

Three-Barrel Cove: The items have some limited utility, but they are good when you need them at Lvl 5.

Red Fens: All these items got updated too. Not the worst thing in the world to have on hand.

You no longer need all the Sigil pieces for entrance into Litany of the Dead. Farm one completed Sigil and forget about it forever after. You can then keep the other sigil-frame to manage inventory of just pass pieces in the chest to people who want them.

Temple of Elemental Evil: While a running joke, has some decent named items and the crafted weapons are very good if you don't have Greensteel stockpiled from before. They are grindy to make however, since the devs didn't reduce their ingredient costs (like Slavers Gear) so your patience may be tested.

Like Asheras said, have some fun and don't stress too much... It's just a game.  Wink

That litany change is pretty impressive.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Does anyone have any caster builds they'd recommend? Is it even worth making a caster? I'm kind of interested in warlocks but if they play like a melee I guess I'll skip over it.

With the cleric changes are FVS garbage tier now? Especially because I see you can get wings from epic destinies.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
The only build you should be making is a bear build.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Do whatever the fuck you want ? And "past lives grind" ? Jesus h christ, the amount of completionist tards that can't play for shit has really skyrocketed. Be more specific about the build or class you'd like to play perhaps. Any caster is great to have.
PM Rubbins, she's Vault contact on Orien.

Either that or Divinity 2 ?
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:11am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:02am:
PM Rubbins, she's a catfish on Orien.

ftfy

OP- Pretty much what everyone posted above. Cannith Crafting takes some time to level up unless you can get a hold of 50k~ essences, 1200 tp, and 30 minutes. In the meantime roll an iconic warlock. They're actually the best thing if starting out brand new. And warlocks can smash quests fresh out the box. Farm slavers and ravenloft for gear. They have BTA ML 8-10 items that can carry you to heroic cap. It's all the gear you will need while you work on your crafting levels.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:21am:

You no longer need all the Sigil pieces for entrance into Litany? False.

You only need to farm 1 complete Sigil per character, which will flag you on lives going forward.  Important distinction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Wig wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:15pm:
That litany change is pretty impressive.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Does anyone have any caster builds they'd recommend? Is it even worth making a caster? I'm kind of interested in warlocks but if they play like a melee I guess I'll skip over it.

With the cleric changes are FVS garbage tier now? Especially because I see you can get wings from epic destinies.

FvS is mostly a melee splash class.   FvS has the ability to do Wisdom to hit/damage or Cha to hit/damage with deity favored weapons if you have a majority of FvS levels.  It also has a Divine Might ability that can work off of Cha or Wis.

So, you will often see it in 12/13 FvS levels mixed with Fighter, Monk, Ranger, or Rogue or splashed with 1 or 2 levels into Dagger builds and high wisdom melee or ranged builds. 

But, until they release a 3rd tree and revamp AoV, the casting FvS is completely gimped compared to anything you can do with a cleric with the right domain.   
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:31am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Idk about Khyber but noone plays "melee fvs". Some newbs come up with useless gimps like archer fvs or sword and board "battle cleric" - mobos are spammed with such retarded ideas.

Otherwise, cleric or fvs casters rock the fuck out of high skulls or Ravenloft raids.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:44am:
Fuck you and YOUR FUN IS WRONG attitude.

@OP: I came back after 4 years for reaper.  It did not disappoint.  Yes, Cannith Crafting is the way to go for TRing.  More important than gear: Find people who share your attitude and play time.  Soloing your way through lives is a lonely existence.  If you're going to stay at cap, Ravenloft gear is OP. You'll still be running Slavers for a hat, and more Slavers if you're a DC caster.

Here here!

@OP
Get hooked up with some friends after you cap up to 30. Do some of the raids on casual and enjoy your time. Do NOT take the game too seriously though or you will burn out. IGNORE the past-life grind monkeys. They're just burning their time. There's a ton of content to do before you sink your teeth into that void.

Finding people to play with is the #1 thing. It can be frustrating as fuck being solo, and you burn out wayyyy faster.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Wig
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty happy to hear that casters are in a good place right now because they're my favorite 'style'. I tr'ed yesterday into a warlock so I'll be slowly making my way to cap.

Thanks for the tips on slavers stuff I'll get one of my level 20 alts to get some gear for me.

Should I transfer to Orien or is there a good newb scene on Khyber as far as guilds go? I can't imagine I'm very good after not playing for so long.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Wig wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 4:42pm:
? I can't imagine I'm very good after not playing for so long.

Whenever I take long breaks from the game, a year or two+, I just run some old quests (gwylans, tempest spine, other oldies but goodies that everyone farmed to death back in the old days). You will be amazed at how quickly the game comes back to you.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:53pm:
Idk about Khyber but noone plays "melee fvs". Some newbs come up with useless gimps like archer fvs or sword and board "battle cleric" - mobos are spammed with such retarded ideas.

Otherwise, cleric or fvs casters rock the fuck out of high skulls or Ravenloft raids.

The FvS part is just there for the Wisdom based Divine Might and/or the Wis to hit/damage.  It is very limited on builds.  Not saying they are FoTM level builds.  Nobody is mistaking them for a monk or shuri or xbow build.  But not everyone likes to play one of the 3-5 FoTM optimized builds.  I, personally, get bored on throwers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint