Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heroic RR Melee - Fighter vs Barb vs Monk (Read 2787 times)
SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Heroic RR Melee - Fighter vs Barb vs Monk
Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
For heroic racial reincarnations which do you think is best as far as melee builds, and why?

Reaper 1s

Reaper 3s

Reaper 5s+

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Heroic RR Melee - Fighter vs Barb vs Monk
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
These are my ideas, feel free to correct.

R1: Barb, then monk then fighter.
1) Barb key advantages are AOE attacks and fast run speed. Cleaves on top cleaves and self healing from kills along with temp HP.
2) Monk is second because of faster run speed, but less AOES
3) Fighter tactics and defenses aren't as crucial. Lack of self healing or amp hurts a lot.

R3: Not sure

R5: Monk then fighter then barb
1) Monk first because of better CC, stuns and dodge.
2) Fighter second because of CC via tactics and heavy PRR
3) Barb has earsmash and DPS, but will doesn't seem up to par

Suggestions?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I feel like heroic melees are way better balanced against each other than they are at lv30. for example; take paladin, which is kinda mediocre at cap, but in heroics they can leverage Holy Retribution to good effect. Swash performs well in heroics, too. none of these are really prefered at 30.

Duality just closes any case that could be made for other melees at cap, but in heroic, melee are way better balanced and, while monk being a top melee class even in heroics is true, they do not outright shit on every melee, like they do once they get to lv29.

fighter is a great choice, largely due to hp, mrr, prr, and low ap cost required to reach great dps at middle heroic levels. i think that it is probably the best overall melee build for heroic reapers. ranger also sports a great class tree that only needs 30 something ap to reach its peak.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
My monk solos on reaper just fine. Usually R2 if I don't wanna burn much if any healing resources.

In the end, just go warlock, 90000 times faster and more effective for just leveling purposes.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:00pm:
My monk solos on reaper just fine. Usually R2 if I don't wanna burn much if any healing resources.

In the end, just go warlock, 90000 times faster and more effective for just leveling purposes.

Variety is good, that's why

IP Logged

Symbiiont
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
In my experience, the best-performing heroic melee is a henshin mystic splashed with both rogue and FvS; THF is the most effective form of melee damage at low levels (due to power attack and generic strength amplification, along with cleaves relaying your damage to crowds much more effectively), but synergizing Thief Acrobat in tandem with henshin incorporates much higher attack speed along with colossal base hits. Stick Fighting and Haste Boost allow you to attack frighteningly fast, with almost 50% dodge at heroics. Buff both your strength and charisma - the latter will empower the former, which scales your strength to absolutely scary amounts. This attack speed, with this amount of damage behind every strike, with an Elemental Bloom (level 7 quarterstaff, paralyzing, wisdom drain, extended threat and mult), you'll absolutely shred things.

For the class split itself, I'd either recommend 12 Monk 7 Rogue 1 FvS or 13 Rogue 6 Monk 1 FvS; the former grants more physical damage, and the latter has much more sneak dice. Half-Orc is the best race for either if you have a considerable amount of rAPs, though you'll probably be choosing the races on your RR agenda.

If you want to dex-spec instead of strength, swap FvS with Fighter levels; you can achieve a much larger dodge cap, and incorporate stalwart stance as the demand for defense increases. 10 Rogue 6 Monk 4 Fighter is an extremely good split if you want to travel this route.

In terms of how this compares to shintao monks/THF kensei/barbarians of the same caliber at certain levels - q-staff'ers accumulate much more damage, quicker, in much higher amounts; the defense will likely not exceed a fighter's (though the colossal amount of dodge, or even the PRR bonuses from a fighter-splashed dex-specced q-staff build) will come very close. Barbarians, even at heroics, are still left behind in the very categories they are meant to specialize in. Shintao monks, while absolutely broken at epics, lack the attack speed, utility, and damage (that they accumulate later) to outclass either of these.
On top of all of this, you have the saves to evade everything, and the aptitude to disable traps.

TL;DR, roll a q-staff'er. If you don't want to, THF kensei would be the next best in line.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:55pm by »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the detailed reply!

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:47pm:
I feel like heroic melees are way better balanced against each other than they are at lv30. 

Absolutely agree.   

It's not just duality, the sneak attack feat at cap is absolutely broken.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In my experience, the best-performing heroic melee is a henshin mystic splashed with both rogue and FvS; THF is the most effective form of melee damage at low levels (due to power attack and generic strength amplification, along with cleaves relaying your damage to crowds much more effectively), but synergizing Thief Acrobat in tandem with henshin incorporates much higher attack speed along with colossal base hits. Stick Fighting and Haste Boost allow you to attack frighteningly fast, with almost 50% dodge at heroics. Buff both your strength and charisma - the latter will empower the former, which scales your strength to absolutely scary amounts. This attack speed, with this amount of damage behind every strike, with an Elemental Bloom (level 7 quarterstaff, paralyzing, wisdom drain, extended threat and mult), you'll absolutely shred things.

For the class split itself, I'd either recommend 12 Monk 7 Rogue 1 FvS or 13 Rogue 6 Monk 1 FvS; the former grants more physical damage, and the latter has much more sneak dice. Half-Orc is the best race for either if you have a considerable amount of rAPs, though you'll probably be choosing the races on your RR agenda.

If you want to dex-spec instead of strength, swap FvS with Fighter levels; you can achieve a much larger dodge cap, and incorporate stalwart stance as the demand for defense increases. 10 Rogue 6 Monk 4 Fighter is an extremely good split if you want to travel this route.

In terms of how this compares to shintao monks/THF kensei/barbarians of the same caliber at certain levels - q-staff'ers accumulate much more damage, quicker, in much higher amounts; the defense will likely not exceed a fighter's (though the colossal amount of dodge, or even the PRR bonuses from a fighter-splashed dex-specced q-staff build) will come very close. Barbarians, even at heroics, are still left behind in the very categories they are meant to specialize in. Shintao monks, while absolutely broken at epics, lack the attack speed, utility, and damage (that they accumulate later) to outclass either of these.
On top of all of this, you have the saves to evade everything, and the aptitude to disable traps.

TL;DR, roll a q-staff'er. If you don't want to, THF kensei would be the next best in line.

This is awesome thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint