Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scourge Build? (Read 8232 times)
Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Scourge Build?
Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I'm considering trying out the Scourge Aasimar and I want to try to make a good TWF Morningstar-wielding one.

The Scourge tree grants a Sacred +1 to Crit multiplier and Kensei grants +1 Competence bonuses to both Crit range and Crit multiplier.

My question is, does any other enhancement tree grant a +1 to Crit range that's not a Competence bonus?

As an aside, has anybody made a good TWF Scourge, yet? What splits are you using?

Right now, I'm considering either a 14Ftr/6Rngr split or some split like 8Ftr/6Rngr/6x. I don't know what the third class should be, though. Could be Cleric, FvS, Paladin, or even Barbarian.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2018 at 1:22pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Scourge Build?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Seems like swash light mace would be the way to go.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:56pm:
Seems like swash light mace would be the way to go.

Huh, funny you would say that...

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:21pm:
My question is, does any other enhancement tree grant a +1 to Crit range that's not a Competence bonus?

It seems that your only heroic option is.... Swashbuckler T5 Exploit Weakness!
Special mention Ravager for +2 competence bonus.
Special mention #2 Violence Begets Violence, but requires being centered with the weapon.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Threat_range

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
There are some trees with temporary boosts, but, peramanently:

Swash gives +2 range, +1 mult on the light mace that is competence.  Most other melee trees offer the +1/+1.

Pick one of those,

Add in Improved Crit, and Overwhelming Crit, obviously.  Then use Dreadnaught to get Devastating Critical and Pulverizer (+1 insight bonus to threat range.)

I really like having at least 12 fighter levels.  Power Surge is really nice.  Especially if you have a 5 piece prowress set, as the Surges are action boosts with a different counter and cool down than your base ones.  75 MP (even just for 10 seconds) is really strong.  8 more uses of it is great.

I bagged on the ranger levels and only did 2.

6 Monk is an option for the Henshin MP.   And evasion if you are doing a pajama build.   You have enough feats to get the forms and, with Kensai you can be centered.    

7 FvS is an option.  The wisdom divine might plays well with the Scourge healing hands being wisdom based.   You get some buffs and heals (cure serious) and at level 7, it will yield an extra 70 heroic HP plus 100 more for your epic levels.  That's useful on a melee.

Cleric isn't a bad option, either, but the FvS feels better with the wisdom based divine might.  You need 9 cleric levels to get the domains to really make it work.  And that takes too much off the dps table.

Pally is an option, but a splash that just gets you divine might and LoH is all you need.   The combo of LoH and Healing Hands makes you unkillable in heroics (you will have like 12-15 uses combined and unless you are over R4, they still provide decent HP).   In epics, when adding in cocoon, it becomes crazy self healling for a high DPS melee, especially on EE or R1. 

I'm not a fan of Barb on this build.  Just not seeing the value.

I ran one for a while.  Did 12 fighter, 6 monk, 2 ranger.   Used the henshin MP, Power surge, and got the forms.  Was centered using Kensai.   It was a fun build and did serious DPS.  It felt like a 5 stat build build though.   Strength for the To hit/damage, Int for KtA, Con - Duh, Dex for AC/reflex (I was in cloth) and wis for AC, will, healing hands.

I was thinking about a heavy armor build that could ignore dex (beyond what you need for GTWF) and dump INT and go with just Str, Con, and Wis.   Using FvS to get more HP and Wis DM and Wis on the healing hands.  Maybe a 12 fighter/8 FvS.  (Or 12/7/1 to avoid having to LR the 1 Ranger level out).  I've not really fleshed it out yet.  (I think Inflame is also an action boost, btw, on it's own timer).  I'm wrapping up some racial PL's with the boxes and the VIP bonus.  I'd like to have the racial AP.  That scourge tree is too nice.  I can easily spend 19-26 AP there.  Getting 12 for free makes the build much easier to work.   

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 1:14pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Threat Range:

Morningstar (or mace) 20x2

IC: 19-20 x2

Non Swash Melee Competence: 18-20x3

Scourge: 18-20 x4

OC:  18 x4, 19-20 x5

DC: 18 x4, 19-20 x6

Pulverizer: 17-18 x4, 19-20 x6

That's not a bad place to end up.  You have a few clickes that will enhance that for sepcific attacks. 

If you do a swash splash, you can get to 16-20 x4, 19-20 x6.  And grab En Pointe at T2 of the tree for 8 AP.  But now you are limited to light maces.  That's not as bad as it sounds in Epics.  There is the Drow Mace, the TF maces, LGS, and the RL light maces that will all work.  But it is limiting.

For comparison:

Typical Khopesh:
16-18 x4, 19-20x6

Typical Scimitar/Rapier:
14-18 x3, 19-20 x5 
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:36am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Thanks, Ash. My intention was to definitely go TWF (so that kills Swashbuckling) and Heavy Armor (no Monk) for the PRR and MRR.

I like the 12Ftr/8FvS idea.

I'll have to cogitate on that a little more, maybe play around with it on one of the character planners (what's the best one right now?) and think about the gear a bit.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:15am by Technomage »  

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
nm
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:44am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
If you do the 8 FvS, you get 1 level 4 FvS spell.  That can be Divine Power (full BAB), or FoM, or Restoration or Death Ward or Cure Critical Wounds.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:48am:
If you do the 8 FvS, you get 1 level 4 FvS spell.  That can be Divine Power (full BAB), or FoM, or Restoration or Death Ward or Cure Critical Wounds.   

Tough choice.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Seriously, though...what's the best character planner out there right now? Link?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Ellis Dee:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455712

Ron:
https://github.com/DDOCharPlanner/DDOCharPlannerV4/releases

I'd go with one of those two.   

EDIT:  Apparently a third option is Maetrim:
https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilder/releases

Never used that one.   Don't know much about it.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:12pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I've used Ron's before but I haven't seen any word on whether he (or anyone else) is updating it anymore.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Hordo has been active in helping Ron.   And I know he was updating it as recently as this fall.  Haven't heard if it got a Ravenloft update.

Ellis Dee's is solid and updated for Ravenloft.  I don't know if it has the new Tome application changes.  Now that the tomes apply earlier, it can affect when you can take some feats.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:54pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
Thanks. I've used Ron's before but I haven't seen any word on whether he (or anyone else) is updating it anymore.

I switched to Ellis's planner.  Once you get used to it, it's a lot faster than Ron's

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Morningstars are a dead end, even with Scourge. You can only help a flavor build so much.

I'm planning on updating this build soon to get a scourge/monk combo pastlife:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1476986788/0#0

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:30am:
Morningstars are a dead end, even with Scourge. You can only help a flavor build so much.

I'm planning on updating this build soon to get a scourge/monk combo pastlife:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1476986788/0#0

Depends on your definition of "dead end". 

If by "dead end" you mean approaching but not quite the DPS of a Khopesh or Scimitar build , then yes, you are correct. 

If, by "dead end" you mean "unacceptable performance for raiding or high skulls" then I would disagree.

The Scourge tree combined with LD erases most of the crit profile issues with blunt mace/star/light mace.  The tree adds some extra doublestrike, offhand doublestrike and to-hit/damage that covers a little more ground.   By coming from a racial tree, this makes it additive vs. just swapping with regular class AP.  A big issue the lack of a named weapon at end game that is on par with Calamity or Flow.  I was surprised and disappointed that they released the VKF tree and supported it heavily with daggers but did not do anything named for the scourge.   

A handwrap monk build with Duality will stil be better raw DPS.  (at least for now).  Although not that dex build one you linked.  That thing is hot garbage.   For a PL, I guess it would suffice, but it is definitely a flavor build of it's own accord. 
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:13pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:07pm:
Depends on your definition of "dead end". 

17-20x4-5 is a wasted slot when you should have 14-20x4-5. One does not simply leave a 1.6 multiplier of your DPS on the table adn say "good enough".

Asheras wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:07pm:
Although not that dex build one you linked.  That thing is hot garbage.

Maybe you're not up on the meta? I don't know anyone that still goes str monk (or any other class that can get dex to damage) with scion of ethereal in play, it's simply more damage. (cf. Symbiiont's build) To be fair, you should probably be looking at the updated version I posted today though rather than the OP I linked to above:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1476986788/32#32

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
17-20x4-5 is a wasted slot when you should have 14-20x4-5. One does not simply leave a 1.6 multiplier of your DPS on the table adn say "good enough".

Maybe you're not up on the meta? I don't know anyone that still goes str monk (or any other class that can get dex to damage) with scion of ethereal in play, it's simply more damage. (cf. Symbiiont's build) To be fair, you should probably be looking at the updated version I posted today though rather than the OP I linked to above:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1476986788/32#32

5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:45pm:

First, it is 17-20x4-6 not x4-5.

And what weapon type is giving 14-20 x4?  Most that I know of that have that expanding crit range are x2 base, not x3.  And are a d6 bace die vs. a d8. 

As for your build:  Off the top of my head:

There is no KTA, Divine Might, or Divine Will.  You are leaving a lot of damage (and DC) on the table.  (Divine Will has great synergy with a scourge monk.  Those ranger levels are a waste, but you aren't LRing the ranger out on a PL build)   

Where is the Kensai for extra AB?  Prowress set.  You can slot that sentient jewel on a bunch of diff named wraps and ride them all the way to cap with +75 MP. 

I mean, for a PL only build it doesn't need to be optimal, at all.  But let's not pretend that build is optimal.  Its a quickie PL build.  Probably about 75%-80% of what a real, permanent build would be. 

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Morningstar is 20x2. Keen makes it 19-20x2. Competence +1/+1 makes it 18-20x3. Pulverizer makes it 17-20x3. Scourge makes it 17-20x4. Then you can equip Braisingstar for 16-20x4 or Coronation for 16-20x5. (I accounted for named item +1 crit multi above, but not the +1 range. My bad.)

Meanwhile...

Light Mace is 20x2. Keen makes it 19-20x2. Competence (Swash) +4/+1 makes it 15-20x3. Pulverizer makes it 14-20x3. Scourge makes it 14-20x4. Then you can equip Skullsmasher for 14-20x5.

But realistically, I don't expect anyone to blow 2 Tome of Untold Legends on a past life, while Skullsmasher is trivial to obtain. So it's most likely 17-20x4 vs 14-20x5.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1511906231/0#0

Quote:
There is no KTA, Divine Might, or Divine Will.  You are leaving a lot of damage (and DC) on the table.

Meh. You could shoehorn in KtA, but even at endgame, you'd only net 7 or 8 damage over what an insightful deadly item gives and have to give up a lot to move that AP.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
Morningstar is 20x2. Keen makes it 19-20x2. Competence +1/+1 makes it 18-20x3. Pulverizer makes it 17-20x3. Scourge makes it 17-20x4. Then you can equip Braisingstar for 16-20x4 or Coronation for 16-20x5. (I accounted for named item +1 crit multi above, but not the +1 range. My bad.)

Meanwhile...

Light Mace is 20x2. Keen makes it 19-20x2. Competence (Swash) +4/+1 makes it 15-20x3. Pulverizer makes it 14-20x3. Scourge makes it 14-20x4. Then you can equip Skullsmasher for 14-20x5.

What about OC and Devastating critical?  Why include Pulverizer but leave those out?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
Meh. You could shoehorn in KtA, but even at endgame, you'd only net 7 or 8 damage over what an insightful deadly item gives and have to give up a lot to move that AP.

IMO, it depends on how much synergy the stat has with the build.  Like your Swash one, it's solid.  The Bard and the Cha work well together.   So it's worth it. 

Also, it depends if you need to invest the 8 AP in Harper or just do 4 in War Soul.  On the aasimar monk, if you do the will one for 4 AP and you investing heavily in wisdom, then it makes sense.  For the damage and the DC.   

But, if you have to add a stat and it modifies your gear itemization, then I agree, there is less value for the cost.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
OC and DC are static and need not be brought into comparisons of crit profile. Pulverizer is relevant because +1 range adds more to profiles with a high multiplier and less to profiles with a low multiplier.

You're right, War Soul would be nice on that build if I can drop 2 feats.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:28pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
FYI...going with Heavy Maces instead of Morningstars because of the Amaunator stuff to hit and damage for maces. Not sure adding Piercing damage via Morningstars is worth it.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:59pm:
Heavy Maces

Phosphor 15-20x4
Forgotten Light 16-20x4

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint