Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Low epic lock gear? (Read 49278 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Low epic lock gear?
Jun 11th, 2018 at 4:24am
Print Post  
TLDR version - suggestions for level 20ish gear to build a set around for epic lock (GOO/ES/auralock) lives?

Long version - when I made my farmer, I really tried to cut corners and only crafted a level 8 CC set to compliment my (Rubbinns') slavers set.  I was hoping it would be enough to get me through to level 30.

It wasn't.  It worked great up until epics and then I totally got my ass handed to me through low level epics before I finally broke down and crafted some new gear.

I've got a fairly decent high level set - problem is; all the decent gear seems to be endgame gear (levels 28-29).  I want to run some epic lock lives (easy button is easy) and want a relatively decent gear set to do it (as in, I really don't want to grind forever and would prefer BtA gear that can be passed back and forth).

Right now I'm running the norm opt set (again, Rubbinns')

5 piece slavers (including orb and trinket)
Brazenband
Pansophic
Rod of Mythant
Scales of Malice (be sticking with that till level 24 or so. High dodge has been working out well for me so far while soloing pussy reaper).

I don't go in hardcore, worst case I'll be soloing R1 if groups don't fill.  Anything higher someone else can do the heavy lifting for me Tongue

So, what needs replacing to carry me through to level 28 when I get decent gear?  Stick with the slavers set and just upgrade my CC gear?  Or are there enough decent level 19-20 pieces to design a gear set around?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Re: Low epic lock gear?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 4:24am:
TLDR version - suggestions for level 20ish gear to build a set around for epic lock (GOO/ES/auralock) lives?

Long version - when I made my farmer, I really tried to cut corners and only crafted a level 8 CC set to compliment my (Rubbinns') slavers set.  I was hoping it would be enough to get me through to level 30.

It wasn't.  It worked great up until epics and then I totally got my ass handed to me through low level epics before I finally broke down and crafted some new gear.

I've got a fairly decent high level set - problem is; all the decent gear seems to be endgame gear (levels 28-29).  I want to run some epic lock lives (easy button is easy) and want a relatively decent gear set to do it (as in, I really don't want to grind forever and would prefer BtA gear that can be passed back and forth).

Right now I'm running the norm opt set (again, Rubbinns')

5 piece slavers (including orb and trinket)
Brazenband
Pansophic
Rod of Mythant
Scales of Malice (be sticking with that till level 24 or so. High dodge has been working out well for me so far while soloing pussy reaper).

I don't go in hardcore, worst case I'll be soloing R1 if groups don't fill.  Anything higher someone else can do the heavy lifting for me Tongue

So, what needs replacing to carry me through to level 28 when I get decent gear?  Stick with the slavers set and just upgrade my CC gear?  Or are there enough decent level 19-20 pieces to design a gear set around?

An updated, full set of Cannith Crafted gear every 5-6 levels is more than enough to steamroll EE/R1 up to 30 on an auralock.  Add in a few choice named items if you happen to get them if you want, but it's not necessary.

Essentially, Cha --> Spell power / Spell crit --> Evo DC --> Int --> Con --> defensive stuff is the priority.  Conjuration DC is nice for Evards if you can squeeze it in but if your stats are high enough, DC on it generally isn't a problem either way.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Low epic gear is all trash now, save for a few choice items. Largely due to cannith obsoleting every named item in those level ranges. The few good items for a warlock are hamp gloves from evestar or 3bc, and fom boots from 3bc. Ghostly is a little hard to come by at this level as most of your better options would be heroic items for it.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
Low epic gear is all trash now, save for a few choice items.

Glad it wasn't my imagination.  I looked over the lists of named gear and was pretty sure just about everything before level 28 was shit.

Rubbinns wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
Ghostly is a little hard to come by at this level as most of your better options would be heroic items for it.

Surprisingly Ghostly is one of the few attributes attached to some decent gear.  Both the Ghost Waking cloak and the Treads of falling shadows are good pieces of gear and decent to build around.  I've switched from using the ring of shadows to the ghost waking cloak for my melee builds (fucking UMD needing CHR is the stupidest thing ever).

For a lock I'll probably go Treads.  That gives me something to build around, thanks.

Stick with the Rod of Mythant of slavers orbs or is there something decent to replace them with for levels 20-27?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:56am:
Stick with the Rod of Mythant of slavers orbs or is there something decent to replace them with for levels 20-27?

better off just crafting caster sticks. if you are not having issues with your dc, then dump the slavers set. dual sticks of force/radiance/pact power + lore. heroic ravenloft caster belt for acid or fire power which stacks with your equipment for your pacts element is useful. Treads are a good item.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Epic Rock Boots for basic Acid Spell Power and Crit.  All the fully upgraded epic cannith challenge gear uses level 23 cannith values.

And, if you’re on a cone OOB warlock, the only excuse you have for not being able to solo all the cannith challenges effectively is: your parents.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
dual sticks of force/radiance/pact power + lore.

I'm a Goo lock, do I want acid or force?

More work than I wanted to put into it so far, but have to admit - it's looking pretty choice on paper  Smiley

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:09am:
I'm a Goo lock, do I want acid or force?

More work than I wanted to put into it so far, but have to admit - it's looking pretty choice on paper  Smiley

You want Acid for you pact damage (Evocation focus items increase the save DC for pact damage).

You also want Light spellpower items to increase the damage of Utterdark Blast (Evil and other alignment-based damage is increased by Light spell power). Evil damage is superior to Force damage because fewer things are immune to it. Even almost all evil monsters (can't think of one that doesn't) in DDO take Evil damage.

If you don't take Utterdark Blast, Force spellpower is indeed what you want in addition to Acid spellpower for a GOO 'lock.

FYI...neither Evocation nor any other school increases the DC for the non-pact damage component of a 'lock's Eldritch Blast.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:47am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:44am:
You also want Light spellpower items to increase the damage of Utterdark Blast

That part I've got a handle on, I'm just not clear on the total path.  You start with force but then switch to acid then something gets switched to radiance but...whatever.  I usually just craft what Rubbinns tells me to craft (more or less) Tongue

Thanks for the response though, helps me on the final step (once I finish the already hour long process of deciding what goes where.  Duel wielding is freeing up a lot of slots for me though).

Technomage wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:44am:
FYI...neither Evocation nor any other school increases the DC for the non-pact damage component of a 'lock's Eldritch Blast.

Right.  I'm concentrating on fitting conj and necro focuses in...somewhere...for the spells I bother using.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
No, you're not switching to Acid from Force.

You start with Acid and Force. If you take Utterdark Blast, you switch from Force to Light. You still use Acid.

So, when you're done, You'll be using two spellpowers. You'll always be using the Pact damage (Acid, Fire, or Sonic) spellpower no matter what. Light or Force for the other component of Eldritch Blast depending on whether you use Utterdark Blast or not.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:21am by Technomage »  

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:20am:
No, you're not switching to Acid from Force.

You start with Acid and Force. If you take Utterdark Blast, you switch from Force to Light. You still use Acid.

Apparently there is where my confusion was.

And speaking of my learning curve...

Does spell focus mastery stack with the other focuses?  Or should I just craft around my primary schools and not bother with SFM?

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:07pm:
Does spell focus mastery stack with the other focuses? 

Nope, but there are other bonus types that do; like, say you had Evocation Focus +3 and Insightful Spell Focus Mastery, that would stack, but Insightful Evocation Focus wouldn't stack with the other Insightful Mastery.  There are lots of different Focus bonuses, Quality, Profane, Artifact (which is what's on your Slaver's set) and they all stack, but the specific schools' bonuses are generally higher by level.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
ope, but there are other bonus types that do; like, say you had Evocation Focus +3 and Insightful Spell Focus Mastery, that would stack, but Insightful Evocation Focus wouldn't stack with the other Insightful Mastery.  There are lots of different Focus bonuses, Quality, Profane, Artifact (which is what's on your Slaver's set) and they all stack, but the specific schools' bonuses are generally higher by level.

So worth throwing on to cover all the bases but not a replacement for the primary attributes?  Cool, thanks.

Here's where I'm at.  I'm sure it's not up to par for high end reaper, but should make my epic lives much easier.

Boots
Treads of falling shadows

Armor
Scales of Malice to start
Shadowmail probably later if I find a set on sale

Goggles
Ins Spell Pen
Ins Conj focus
Conj focus (or probably necro because there's almost no increase from level 15 to 20 and I already have a level 15 necro pair crafted)

Bracers
Ins Spellsight
Spellsight
Resistance

Necklace
Evo Focus
Ins wiz
Ins PRR

Cloak
Ins Chr
Dodge
Chr

Belt
Ins dodge
Spell res
Ins Spell res

Ring
Ins Con
Sheltering
Con

2nd Ring
Probably continue with brazenband for some reason I forget

Helm
Wiz
Spell focus mastery or parrying (undecided)
Probably Ins Int if I don't run out of dragonshards

Gloves
Ins Rad
Healing amp
Spell Pen

Weapons
Duel sticks with Rad and acid power/lore
One with a blue augment slot which will make it easier to fit all the damn augments I'm going to need in.

I'll throw a couple of +6 Int and Wis augments in there somewhere.  Couldn't work them in without giving up something I really needed.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
you will not need spell resistance because the devs made sure the values are so low that they will not work 95% of the time. craft whatever you like instead.

mobs with mrr can mitigate your radiance/evil damage. Baba has mrr. wisps take more damage from force, so force is better than radiance in baba raid because force can never be lowered by mrr. what i would do is toggle off utterdark blast and swap radiance item with force item, if you planned on raiding there. otherwise radiance is better everywhere else.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:16pm:
you will not need spell resistance because the devs made sure the values are so low that they will not work 95% of the time. craft whatever you like instead.

It might be because I don't have a toon with a million past lives or it might be my play style (I probably don't keep the distance I should) but SR has been working really well for me.  After my initial horrible venture into epic reaper with my 1st lock, I pretty much build around SR and dodge (I was seriously failing against every spell cast at me).

As a barb I can pretty much solo everything on pussy reaper (which I'm pretty proud of, considering I don't have a million past lives or any epic lives to speak of) and as a lock my death rate has dropped down to almost never in reaper.

Rubbinns wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:16pm:
mobs with mrr can mitigate your radiance/evil damage. Baba has mrr. wisps take more damage from force, so force is better than radiance in baba raid because force can never be lowered by mrr. what i would do is toggle off utterdark blast and swap radiance item with force item, if you planned on raiding there. otherwise radiance is better everywhere else.

That's the information I was looking for.  I'll see if I can cram it somewhere.  Worst case scenario - I'll throw a red augment for force into on of my sticks.  Won't be at max but that'll be better than nothing.

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Stacking crafted Insightful + Drow bonuses with the spell or the Epic Mirror cloak is alright.  But, the values for an Enhancement bonus level 20 cannith gear is less than what you'd get from a Mass SR scroll.  (21 for Cannith, 25 for Mass scroll)

Also, if you have a Caustic Forum Post, that's a hell of a Warlock main hander to use.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
But, the values for an Enhancement bonus level 20 cannith gear is less than what you'd get from a Mass SR scroll.  (21 for Cannith, 25 for Mass scroll)

If you only craft SR.  SR+ISR=32 (more if you're wearing the Drow outrunner outfit).

32>25 Wink

IP Logged

Fuckwit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:05pm:
If you only craft SR.  SR+ISR=32 (more if you're wearing the Drow outrunner outfit).

32>25 Wink

Quoting this stupidity so that you can't shame delete it later

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:11am
Print Post  
SR of 32 won't do anything. Mob CR becomes 30+ in even low epic quests on elite. Anything with a CR of 30 will ignore your SR 95% of the time. Wasted slot to gear and waste of mats to craft. You need to aim for a SR that is 10-20 points higher than the mobs you're trying to save against. The major benefit of SR is dodging CC effects like Disco, Hold, etc. Most of those can be blanked by simple Protection From Evil scroll, and a FoM item.

The only other thing SR is good for is ignoring stat draining spam of certain mobs and spells. But, again, a SR of 32 is doing nothing for you. Occult Slayers are the only builds that can get any leverage out of SR and they're not needed for that role anywhere.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:17am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 1:00am
Print Post  
High SR is useless unless you're making a Ghost of Perdition farming toon.

Grin

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:11am:
The major benefit of SR is dodging CC effects like Disco, Hold, etc.

Which is exactly what I'm after.

Most of those can be blanked by simple Protection From Evil scroll, and a FoM item.

Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid Wink 

I've said it before, but let me reiterate - I have a Strake level laziness when it comes to buffs.  I'd rather build than have to deal with buffing and rebuffing everything you rest or hit something that debuffs you.

I'm not uber, I'm minor leagues at best.  My strongest toon has 9 past lives, one epic life and a +4 supreme tome from back when I still didn't mind dumping hundreds of dollars in the game (plus one +5 from 5000 favor).  Try as I might (and I'm still working on it) I can't get his UMD high enough to use most scrolls in heroic in any class that isn't CHR based (which are most of the classes I like to play).

What I can do, however, is hit SR 31 by level 15, which is pretty damn useful for a toon who can't cast most scrolls.

With my lock in epics, I'll upgrade the belt at levels 24 and 28.  What I'm giving up is roughly 4-5 points of wis or int in my build to avoid having to drag more scrolls around with me and add annoying clicking at the start of every damn quest - that's a bargain Wink

Seriously though (and I've said it multiple times) my gear is built around how I play - which my goal at this point is to take a toon with relatively few past lives and be able to solo pussy reaper with a minimal amount of effort if I have to.

Which is exactly what I'm doing, so I'm happy  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:23am by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:22am:
SR 31 by level 15

If the CR of mobs is 21 or less then it's fine, but that stops in epic levels pretty quick. Once you leave eveningstar, every epic quest level 21-23 on elite starts at minimum of CR 30. literally doing nothing for you there. might as well not even wear that item and it would be the same effect.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:51am:
If the CR of mobs is 21 or less then it's fine, but that stops in epic levels pretty quick. Once you leave eveningstar, every epic quest level 21-23 on elite starts at minimum of CR 30. literally doing nothing for you there. might as well not even wear that item and it would be the same effect.

I get what you're saying and also totally get where buffing is the better option.  But I'm also very serious about not having to buff anymore than possible.  Props to the people who cast 20 different scrolls and chug 40 different pots through an adventure - that bores the snot out of me Wink 

I know it's better to slot fest wis or int, but I'd much rather just slot waterbreathing and not have to worry about it when I need it.

And I know in most cases the SR is worthless - but those aren't the ones I'm worried about.  After crafting the belt on my epic lock farmer, I saw a huge drop in being held and knocked on my ass by command.  As long as it's working in that area (and it seems to be), I'm happy.

Honestly I'm not even sure I'll be able to keep up solo reaper in epics yet - I'm still cleaning up level 19 quests for favor.  If I end up dropping to just elite, I'm totally ok with that too.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Most of those can be blanked by simple Protection From Evil scroll

Your PFE scrolls are glitchy and suck ass btw Tongue

Managed to retweek everything with only having to craft a single piece of equipment.

I'm going back to light armor.  I was trying to stick medium for the PRR but I don't think it's worth what I was losing in dodge and saves.  Plus the SR working in early epics seemed to need the drow outrunner armor to make it worth wild.

So, levels 20-23
Drow outrunner armor
CC Boots of Dex, ins dex and parrying plus striding augment
Epic ring of stalker for ghostly since I already have one

Levels 24-27 I'll dump SR and build around
Whisperchain for ghostly and slight bump up in AC
Orcish boots for FoM and speed
CC ring for dex and ins dex

28 on either shadowscale light armor or epic drow outrunner if I can pull a set.

Anyways, gears looking tighter.  Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
There’s some stuff in the U39 pack (and Crystal Cove loots v3.0) that may improve your layouts a bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint