Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Request: simple Dwarf Cleric build? (Read 2916 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Request: simple Dwarf Cleric build?
Jul 15th, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
OK, this one is really tough for me, I hate playing Clerics and a guild mate wants a build.

She's going to TR an old Dwarf cleric from like 10 years ago, from back when Dwarf had enhancements to spell points. She'd like to stay dwarf because she has a bunch of Dwarven Axes that are decent, and likes having a lot of hit points.

The party role will be mostly healing and buffing, with some melee combat to alleviate the boredom between heals.

Not much in the way of tomes, I think +2 or +3 on Wis and Con. No significant raid gear. No paid enhancements. Little heroic greensteel - conc op & a DR breaker dwarven axe, I think.

The good news is reaper isn't even on the table, we'll be playing mostly hard or elite, and always in a party, usually with a rogue and a fighter type.

I'm thinking maybe 18 Cleric with 2 Barb for fast movement, sprint boost, and Martial Weapon proficiency. Going T5 in RS for Reactive Heal, and Earth domain for Stoneskin, Melf's, and Earthquake (a real crowd pleaser in our runs).

But I'm also wondering if maybe I should get martial weapon proficiency from another class, like 2 Fighter for the feats, or just spend a feat on it to keep Cleric 20?

Or a deeper splash?

Any must-have enhancements for the splash? I'd hate to miss a good synergy just because I can't follow the latest bugs and overperforming features.

Or maybe I should try to talk her out of Dwarf entirely, it seems like the advantages Dwarven Clerics had have been nerfed?

We're not planning to do reaper, but would this build be OK in a party on Elite?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, I'll pass it all on.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Request: simple Dwarf Cleric build?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
check out my cleric build

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
UnknownBuilder wrote on Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:36pm:
check out my cleric build

But it's not your fucking build, you found it on another site and posted it here. This is the inconsistent shit you spew that ensures folk won't have the opportunity to think you're anything other than more retarded than your photorealistic profile picture would suggest.

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But it's not your fucking build, you found it on another site and posted it here. This is the inconsistent shit you spew that ensures folk won't have the opportunity to think you're anything other than more retarded than your photorealistic profile picture would suggest.

BETA BITCH

IP Logged

Box Cutter Surgeon
Korthos Resident

Just Lurking

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I had a pretty solid Dwarf cleric build for one of my alts. 15 cleric/4 paladin/1 fighter. It relied on maximizing Constitution for extra HP and damage (Throw your weight around), with enough STR to hit, Wis to cast buffs, and and some cha for saves and turn attempts (healing bursts).

Still used Radiant Servant for the main class, but you also want Sacred Defender for the +6 CON, +20% HP while in defender stance. (Throw Your Weight Around also requires 18 AP).

I used a great axe, so feats were:
Power attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical: Slash, Quicken, Maximize, Empowered Healing, and Empower Spell.

If you have the Dex tomes you could go TWF (I'd drop cleave, great cleave, and empower).

Dwarven axes are good, but another good option would be Warhammers (follower of Onatar + Knights training is great).

The result was a very durable healer that is more than capable of soloing (or keeping the party alive).

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:51am
Print Post  
If you're going earth domain, you might as well commit to being a caster/evoker cleric. If you want to even pretend to melee, then you should take a melee domain. Dwarf melee cleric won't stand up to a (non-ml) FR iconic with a maul though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Thanks all, a few questions about your replies:

UB: Do you mean http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1557901034 ? If so, she doesn't have (and isn't buying) paid trees, would this build work without them? What would you take instead of Falconer?

BCS: I really like the sound of this, she's got a +2 Dex tome and I might have an unbound +2 -> +3 I could give her, what would that be enough for the TWF variant with a 34 point build, or would it be too gimped in other areas? She barely plays anymore so I'm sure buying a tome is not an option, but she's one of my few guild members that plays at all anymore so it's worth giving her the upgrade if I have it. If she went TWF, what feats would you suggest?

5FS: You mentioned a melee domain, suggestions for the top contender(s) and why?

Anyway, thanks again and I'll pass the info on and be back with any questions she has. I appreciate the tips!

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:45am by Meursault »  

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:58am
Print Post  
If you're serious about melee, it means giving up Dwarf. Go PDK, 14 cleric/6 Fighter:

An Earth domain evoker build isn't a bad option though. I would look at something like this, but change the fire stuff to earth.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:59am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Because 5's can't read, I'll suggest the Destruction Domain because it's bonuses seem in line with benefitting Dwarven Axes the most.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Am I right in thinking there's no way to get CON to hit for a drawf? If so, TYWA seems like a poor choice if you're going to have to get enough STR to hit too. I guess it depends on whether you'll TR or play Epics as the to hit demands seem to scale up punishingly in EE compared to HE, especially on newer content.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
20 Dwarf Cleric War Domain
14 all starting stats +/- racial mods, + levels Charisma

33 Warpriest
41 Radiant Servant
6 VKF

Feats SWFx3, Precision, IC:S, Quicken, Maximize, OC, Imp. Shield Bash, PSWF, Haste, PTWF, Dire Charge, Arborea, Epic DR

ED: LD w/ Confront Any Foe
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2019 at 8:29pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 8:53am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 11:58am:
Am I right in thinking there's no way to get CON to hit for a drawf? If so, TYWA seems like a poor choice if you're going to have to get enough STR to hit too. I guess it depends on whether you'll TR or play Epics as the to hit demands seem to scale up punishingly in EE compared to HE, especially on newer content.

There's Unkor's Cleaver. But yeah, poor choice.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Please don't ever builds melee clerics. Why are people obsessed with such completely useless concept/build/role in ddo ?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I dunno, niche fun builds can add extra challenge. Why always go top everything?

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Because even though we all end up as dust, its utterly fucking imperative to get as much shit accumulated as possible before then.

Especially virtual shit.

By making anything other than their meta, power gamers feel like you are effectively stealing some of the shit they would otherwise be able to accumulate faster.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2019 at 11:32pm by HelloKitty »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:29pm:
Please don't ever builds melee clerics. Why are people obsessed with such completely useless concept/build/role in ddo ?

I can't speak for all, but my guild mate wants a melee cleric because nobody in our group really wants to play a cleric but self-healing doesn't quite cover all the bases. Though she's willing to sacrifice some fun for the sake of the group, she'd like it to not be utterly boring. Having some melee on the cleric provides enough fun to make it tolerable. I have enough trouble getting anybody to play this shitty lag ridden bug fest with me, I'm not going to criticize anybody's play preferences or efficiency.

But of course feel free to have your fun your own way.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:29pm:

People want healers, but a character that can only heal is boring and a waste of a party slot.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 7:32am:
I have enough trouble getting anybody to play this shitty lag ridden bug fest with me, I'm not going to criticize anybody's play preferences or efficiency.

Wait, your looking beyond the efficiency of next life? WTF, that's way too fucking mature for this forum. You're making the rest of us look bad man!

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 9:24am:
People want healers, but a character that can only heal is boring and a waste of a party slot.

If the healers in your groups are bored, that means one of two things:
1) You're not running content difficult enough for the party members to consistently take damage
2) You're not going fast enough

Solution:  Increase the difficulty to take advantage of having the healer and make them earn their keep.  If you're already running high skulls and they're still bored, you're not clearing fast enough.

If anything, in appropriately challenging content, a dedicated healbot is one of the busiest and most intense, challenging builds to play well and is anything but boring. 

Granted, running a healbot takes a particular type of person and it's definitely not for everyone.  We've burned out more healer players than virtually any other class in our groups.  Most cite a need to do something a bit easier and mindless as the reason for taking a break, playing an alt or TRing to a different build.

IP Logged

Dohhv
Korthos Resident

Still trying to find the
ruler of Cannith

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 3:18pm:
If the healers in your groups are bored, that means one of two things:
1) You're not running content difficult enough for the party members to consistently take damage
2) You're not going fast enough

Solution:  Increase the difficulty to take advantage of having the healer and make them earn their keep.  If you're already running high skulls and they're still bored, you're not clearing fast enough.

If anything, in appropriately challenging content, a dedicated healbot is one of the busiest and most intense, challenging builds to play well and is anything but boring. 

Granted, running a healbot takes a particular type of person and it's definitely not for everyone.  We've burned out more healer players than virtually any other class in our groups.  Most cite a need to do something a bit easier and mindless as the reason for taking a break, playing an alt or TRing to a different build.

I currently play a Clerarcher and I couldn't agree more with this statement!

I came, I saw, I abruptly left.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #20 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 7:32am:
I can't speak for all, but my guild mate wants a melee cleric because nobody in our group really wants to play a cleric but self-healing doesn't quite cover all the bases.

Soundburst, Destruction, Command, Comet or neg levels serves every party much much better than really weak melee damage addition. From newb party to r10 speedgods. Plus the range is bit of advantage too.

And as for healing boring ? Even the best r10 party requires full attention,if you REALLY try to keep people from not dying. Know champs, bosses, pulls, clickies. Knowing how your party will react helps immensely too.
Expect who and when takes damage, not just react.
I have always liked playing hjealer but it can get exhausting after one or two hours.

IP Logged

HelloKitty
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 9:27am:
And as for healing boring ? Even the best r10 party requires full attention
I have always liked playing hjealer but it can get exhausting after one or two hours.

There has to be a happy medium between short term goal of running max difficulty for your own maximum RXp gain, and long term goal of not just burning the healer out so they quit and you have no healer.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Favoured Soul Wink

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 10:45am
Print Post  
HelloKitty wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 1:22pm:
There has to be a happy medium between short term goal of running max difficulty for your own maximum RXp gain, and long term goal of not just burning the healer out so they quit and you have no healer.

^This

Gaming is a chance for us to socialize, and online gaming is convenient because we can do it without driving (or flying - we have guild members on 3 continents), after the kids are in bed, whatever. And DDO is just one of the games we play. It's not even anybody's favorite, it's just one we're all OK with so it stays in the rotation for variety.

It's not a job, and the thing we want to maximize is our fun, not our rate of XP gain. And certainly not our RXP gain, we never step into reaper anymore, not even R1. I'll do low reapers occasionally if I'm pugging, but only if that's the only group I can find. It's a grind I choose to skip.

So yeah, I could push my healer harder, I could get more RXP per minute, I could be a more efficient hamster, but if I did I'd lose in the long run.

That said, she's leaning towards an Evoker build, but it makes me sad to think she may be doing it because she thinks she's not doing enough for the party, or may get laughed at, if she goes with the style she wants. A melee cleric may be relatively weak (and it's good to know that!) but it should be more than able to handle the content we want to play. It's still weeks away (we're gathering gear and I'm getting an alt ready to TR with her) so she may flip flop a few more times before it happens, I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint