Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Unicorns, Megaserver, and Level 40 (Read 11354 times)
crsm3423
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Unicorns, Megaserver, and Level 40
Reply #50 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Mar 8th, 2020 at 5:00pm:
Heroic pastlives were a secondary focus and were mostly used as a way to re-roll. Those who preferred farming XP rather than items got a small bonus for their efforts.

SSG really needs to follow this path with future updates. Removing bypasses/tomes from the store and staggering the loot (have one raid give rings, another weapons, etc) would be a great start. Although im not sure if they can do this given their current road map.

I think that ship has already sailed.  Epic and Racial past lives are a non-trivial increase in character power that stacks with everything.  Maybe they should add something to raid completions that gives the same bonus as having certain past lives, without having to run them but also doesn't stack with them.  That would allow newer players a path to equivalent power without having to run the TR wheel.  X completions of Raid 1 gives Epic Primal Doubleshot past life, X completions of Raid 2 gives Epic Fast Healing past life, etc.  Stacks up to 3 times after 3*X completions.  Or first life is at X, second requires 3*X, third 6*X completions.  Don't care how you do it, just incent people to run various raids and stay at cap rather than having to run raids for gear that, because you're needing to TR as well, you'll only use for 1-2 levels until you've got your 100+ lives done.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2020 at 1:27pm by crsm3423 »  

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #51 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
crsm3423 wrote on Mar 9th, 2020 at 1:27pm:
I think that ship has already sailed.  Epic and Racial past lives are a non-trivial increase in character power that stacks with everything.  Maybe they should add something to raid completions that gives the same bonus as having certain past lives, without having to run them but also doesn't stack with them.  That would allow newer players a path to equivalent power without having to run the TR wheel.  X completions of Raid 1 gives Epic Primal Doubleshot past life, X completions of Raid 2 gives Epic Fast Healing past life, etc.  Stacks up to 3 times after 3*X completions.  Or first life is at X, second requires 3*X, third 6*X completions.  Don't care how you do it, just incent people to run various raids and stay at cap rather than having to run raids for gear that, because you're needing to TR as well, you'll only use for 1-2 levels until you've got your 100+ lives done.

At this point in the games life its very hard to circumvent the decade of grind systems put into the game. Then you add in their current plan to raise the cap to 40 (as well as probably adding yet another grind system, Legendary Reincarnation). Which is difficult by itself to design an extensive item based endgame. How do you keep a level 32 raid relevant enough to keep up with a level 40 raid? Then you add in the jack of all trades player character game play design (Post-MotU gameplay). Which can make gear tetris mind numbing. 

Raid completions giving pastlife bonuses is interesting. Heres what I think might work:

Catch up mechanics:
  • Legendary Reincarnation: Have Legendary Reincarnation also give an heroic, epic, and a racial/Iconic pastlife in addition to the legendary bonus.
  • Catch up XP: Permanently increase all Epic Destiny experience gained by X amount, as well as Reaper (sentient system too). Introduce a stacking bonus to experience gained depending on what life you're on. Preferably a larger bonus at the beginning that tapers off the more lives you have. You'll still get a bonus regardless of how many lives you have. Introduce a permanent buddy bonus to promote grouping.

Creating an extensive endgame:
  • Remove ways to bypass grind/walls: Remove raid bypasses or at least stop them from working in the upcoming 30-40 raids. Remove chest re-rolls in the 30-40 content, raise base drop rates. Cap store bought tomes to +8 (or less).
  • Stagger the raid loot: Copy the Pre-Motu endgame. Have one raid give rings, another has weapons, etc. Create a roadmap so item tetris all works out in the end. Little or no power creep. The goal is to have 6-8 current raids at the end. 
  • Create better reaper/mythic bonuses: Introduce reaper/mythic raid item bonuses. Instead of a flat stat increase, create bonuses that affect game play. Example: When healed by another player, +10% attack speed for 8 seconds or After a critical hit get +10% movement speed for 6 seconds. Make it random so players chase the best ones.
  • Create fun raids: Stop copy pasting puzzles to pad out gameplay or adding cheese mechanics. Make raids fun to play.
  • Raid only cosmetics: Create raid only attainable cosmetics/pets or weapon auras that makes players chase them. Its imperative that the cosmetics are actually good. Give them special auras or something. 
  • Make raid items usable at a much lower level: Similar to the old Shroud weapons. Incentive players who always TR to get the raid items.

I blanked at the end. Im sure theres more I forgot but I think this would be a good start.

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Mar 9th, 2020 at 10:18pm:
At this point in the games life its very hard to circumvent the decade of grind systems put into the game. Then you add in their current plan to raise the cap to 40 (as well as probably adding yet another grind system, Legendary Reincarnation). Which is difficult by itself to design an extensive item based endgame. How do you keep a level 32 raid relevant enough to keep up with a level 40 raid? Then you add in the jack of all trades player character game play design (Post-MotU gameplay). Which can make gear tetris mind numbing. 

Raid completions giving pastlife bonuses is interesting. Heres what I think might work:

Catch up mechanics:
  • Legendary Reincarnation: Have Legendary Reincarnation also give an heroic, epic, and a racial/Iconic pastlife in addition to the legendary bonus.
  • Catch up XP: Permanently increase all Epic Destiny experience gained by X amount, as well as Reaper (sentient system too). Introduce a stacking bonus to experience gained depending on what life you're on. Preferably a larger bonus at the beginning that tapers off the more lives you have. You'll still get a bonus regardless of how many lives you have. Introduce a permanent buddy bonus to promote grouping.

Creating an extensive endgame:
  • Remove ways to bypass grind/walls: Remove raid bypasses or at least stop them from working in the upcoming 30-40 raids. Remove chest re-rolls in the 30-40 content, raise base drop rates. Cap store bought tomes to +8 (or less).
  • Stagger the raid loot: Copy the Pre-Motu endgame. Have one raid give rings, another has weapons, etc. Create a roadmap so item tetris all works out in the end. Little or no power creep. The goal is to have 6-8 current raids at the end. 
  • Create better reaper/mythic bonuses: Introduce reaper/mythic raid item bonuses. Instead of a flat stat increase, create bonuses that affect game play. Example: When healed by another player, +10% attack speed for 8 seconds or After a critical hit get +10% movement speed for 6 seconds. Make it random so players chase the best ones.
  • Create fun raids: Stop copy pasting puzzles to pad out gameplay or adding cheese mechanics. Make raids fun to play.
  • Raid only cosmetics: Create raid only attainable cosmetics/pets or weapon auras that makes players chase them. Its imperative that the cosmetics are actually good. Give them special auras or something. 
  • Make raid items usable at a much lower level: Similar to the old Shroud weapons. Incentive players who always TR to get the raid items.

I blanked at the end. Im sure theres more I forgot but I think this would be a good start.

that is all great. If it was implemented maybe I'd come back. I'm sure many who left think the same

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Mar 9th, 2020 at 10:18pm:
The level 20 endgame (Pre-MotU) was the closest DDO has ever gotten to a traditional mmo endgame (emphasize on items rather than XP).

Turbine managed to stagger the loot back then to make multiple raids worth running without really invalidating past loot.

Raids:
eChrono: Best in slots, +4 tomes 
eDQ: Best in slots, +4 tomes
EVoN: Best in slots, +4 tomes
ToD: Best in slots, +4 tomes (most reliable, 4% chance for every item slot in the 20th list)
LoB: Best in slots, +4 tomes
Abbot: Best in slots, +3 tomes
Shroud: Best in slots, +3 tomes
Reaver: Madstone boots, +3 tomes
VoD: Tharnes goggles, +3 tomes
HoX: Shields, +3 tomes
MA: Alchemical blanks

All these raids were worth running. Titan was even ran since Chattering Ring was best in slot for AC builds up until Cannith Crafting came out around Update 10/11.

Even If you had all the items you wanted from a certain raid you still ran it to get +3/+4 tomes. That is until the choice was made to sell +3 tomes in the store around late 2011 which killed off about half of the endgame raids overnight.

Epic quest and Raid lockouts (with no bypasses) incentivized running alts, increased content life, and limited the gap between hardcore and casual players.

Heroic pastlives were a secondary focus, reincarnation was mostly used as a way to re-roll. Those who preferred farming XP rather than items got a small bonus for their efforts.

SSG really needs to follow this path with future updates. Removing bypasses/tomes from the store and staggering the loot (have one raid give rings, another weapons, etc) would be a great start. Although im not sure if they can do this given their current road map.

Everybody I know who played in this era agrees this was the best of the game. A classic server running anything from U9 to 11 would be great.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
instead, game is going to die with what they want to do, I just hope for classic server. Just look at the mobos: even with people working less in the west, the number of posts/reads/comments are dramatically low. Nobody posts anything on youtube. How are the servers?

IP Logged

ThatLukeGuy
Waterworks Kobold

Happy little trees

Reply #54 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
SSG are not looking to make the game great again.  They are looking to increase the grind as much as possible with grind-palliatives sold in the store to sooth your pain.  There is no long term happy-gamers plan.  They in it for the short term money, and mid-term money (for as long as the "introduce new grind system" cycles can keep going).  It's a total mystery as to what their long term goals are, i.e. when DDO burns out completely.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2020 at 2:02pm by ThatLukeGuy »  

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
ThatLukeGuy wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 2:02pm:
SSG are not looking to make the game great again.  They are looking to increase the grind as much as possible with grind-palliatives sold in the store to sooth your pain.  There is no long term happy-gamers plan.  They in it for the short term money, and mid-term money (for as long as the "introduce new grind system" cycles can keep going).  It's a total mystery as to what their long term goals are, i.e. when DDO burns out completely.

Long term goals are to milk DDO for whatever resume foldder they can and then jump ship to a better company.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint