Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Request: 17-20 melee build (Read 3701 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Request: 17-20 melee build
Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:31am
Print Post  
If I want to take a break from melting faces as a sorc..

NEEDS:

-non-racial Self heals for low skull solos
-survivable
-aoe dmg

I was thinking thf pally. Is there a better option?

Just want to use Sharn/RL gear primarily

Barovian or Syrianna wep (or something else easy to get) I have an old lit2 falchion if that’s still worth anything

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Request: 17-20 melee build
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:31am:

no.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:20pm:
no.

Any extra special important gear/feat selections beyond normal?

Maybe emp heal, THF line, PA, IC, and stunning blow (not nec. in that order)?

Probably split APs in KoTC and SaD. Use t5 from KoTC. Which cores are better overall?

Is the vampirism on the macabre weps worth grabbing for situational use?

How bout daggers? Some people are using those. Worth anything?
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:48pm by Head-Meat »  

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:31am:
If I want to take a break from melting faces as a sorc..

NEEDS:

-non-racial Self heals for low skull solos
-survivable
-aoe dmg

Just want to use Sharn/RL gear primarily

Barovian or Syrianna wep (or something else easy to get) I have an old lit2 falchion if that’s still worth anything

Have you considered EK wizard? self healing from undead, lots of good mellee options, and some extra DPS from spells. Plus buffs.

I wonder how an EK paladin would play... 7 wizard/rest pally. I may have to try that.

Head, I'm getting ready to embark on the same journey as you, knocking out a ton of racial PLs.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2020 at 5:49pm by noamineo »  

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:46pm:
Any extra special important gear/feat selections beyond normal?

Maybe emp heal, THF line, PA, IC, and stunning blow (not nec. in that order)?

Probably split APs in KoTC and SaD. Use t5 from KoTC. Which cores are better overall?

Is the vampirism on the macabre weps worth grabbing for situational use?

How bout daggers? Some people are using those. Worth anything?

SoS or Tail are probably best heroic two-handers. KOTC t5, saD for stance.

You pretty much listed them ; THF feats, stunning blow, maybe some metas for self heals to push up your skulls.
bear is also really good. anything that lets you heal ( both ), have saves ( pally ), dps, defenses, and aoe tactics ( bear has a lot more but pallies have an aoe instakill that is also godlike in heroics ). Nothing tricky here.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:36pm by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
See my build video posted below this thread (Leveling Druid) and it's new incarnation for a build solo'ing R5 at full speed in heroics.

F it here's the link:

https://youtu.be/OqzjQhnixAs

I know of nothing that can level better in late heroics than this build.  Pali is also quite strong.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2020 at 4:53pm by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
An effective druid that can R4 post-wolf is pretty great!

IP Logged

Sid
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:04am
Print Post  
https://imgur.com/a/MrWpv

Aoe cleaving, no fail umd, scroll while raged self healing, blood strenght, trapping SoS machine. This is three years old screenshot so it would be even more spicy with 100+ reaper points.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
See my build video posted below this thread (Leveling Druid) and it's new incarnation for a build solo'ing R5 at full speed in heroics.

F it here's the link:

https://youtu.be/OqzjQhnixAs

I know of nothing that can level better in late heroics than this build.  Pali is also quite strong.

That is nowhere near full speed jfyi

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:24am:
That is nowhere near full speed jfyi

Semantics I guess.  I didn't say zerg speed.

Slow speed, to me,  is if you have to prep every battle field with multiple cc spells, drag mobs back to doorways, et cetera.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:34pm:
pallies have an aoe instakill that is also godlike in heroics 

Just started playing the pally today. Works! That AOE is pretty good. It's not meteorswarm good, but it's good. (mostly because the cooldown is longer)
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:53pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:52pm:
Just started playing the pally today. Works! That AOE is pretty good. It's not meteorswarm good, but it's good. (mostly because the cooldown is longer)

well, yeah, meteor is larger aoe from range every 3.5 seconds. If you get bored try the bear. But that is as good as it is going to get for physical damage in heroics. Nothing beats caster aoe for leveling.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Hey Meat, any tips on order to do the racials in? I knocked out dwarf and warforged the old fashioned way, am starting with halfling because it looked fun. I was thinking I would do Human next. The only one I know is I'm saving Tiefling for last/late in the course of this project.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:29pm:
Hey Meat, any tips on order to do the racials in? I knocked out dwarf and warforged the old fashioned way, am starting with halfling because it looked fun. I was thinking I would do Human next. The only one I know is I'm saving Tiefling for last/late in the course of this project.

I have exactly no tips.

I've only done 6 myself. (Aasimar and Dragonborn). I decided on Human for this 3. I don't think it matters that much in my case. (just doing 17-20s). Whatever you find fun. I'm just trying to use builds that work on any race.

I WILL say, I don't know if I'll ever get through all 36 for sure. So, I'd play whatever you think is "fun" upfront. I guess that's a partial tip.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:40pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah I'm also just doing 17-20s.

For now I'm blasting through on a sorc life. I move pretty slow(took me a couple hours just to hit 18, probably going to spring for a sovereign potion next life), but the plan is to explore a lot of builds. 17-20 is where most builds really hit their stride, but by 17 I'm usually so burnt out and angry that I just want heroics to be over. Getting to take some time to really enjoy it will be nice.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:57pm:

For now I'm blasting through on a sorc life. I move pretty slow(took me a couple hours just to hit 18, probably going to spring for a sovereign potion next life), but the plan is to explore a lot of builds. 17-20 is where most builds really hit their stride, but by 17 I'm usually so burnt out and angry that I just want heroics to be over. Getting to take some time to really enjoy it will be nice.

If you use a Sov pot, sharn 1 and 2 plus saga rewards will pretty close to cap you.

I'd run litany a few times (R1, E, H or something). Doing that plus sharn saga should cap you.

I run Cogs too for that saga. It's annoying to navigate the explorer area (imo) at times. But, the quests are mostly easy. (Except for Smash and Burn which I dislike quite a bit..)

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:32pm:
If you use a Sov pot, sharn 1 and 2 plus saga rewards will pretty close to cap you.

Yes but sharn saga involves "Just Buisness" and "Best Laid Plans"; the latter of which I'd about rather cut off my fingers than solo on a high difficulty. When I do run it on epic characters for flagging, I usually turn on heroic casual because seriously fuck that quest.

Head-Meat wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:32pm:
I run Cogs too for that saga. It's annoying to navigate the explorer area (imo) at times. But, the quests are mostly easy. (Except for Smash and Burn which I dislike quite a bit..)

Smash and Burn is hands down one of the worst quests in the game. Its tolerable on epics but in heroics on a caster it is just fucking fuck fuck fuck. That's the only way I can describe it. Everything saves against everything, it is full of tiny mobs spamming projectiles, and it has those god damn awful puzzles.

I'd honestly rather run LoD 142 times than have to play Smash and Burn even once. (Lod = ~7k XP, 7k X 142 = ~1,000,000. Maths!)

Anyway, not really having any trouble with what to run. I can just go run my favorite quests since most provide good XP in that level range. I ran the Lords chain last night; not optimal XP/min but its still one of my favorite chains.

I'm more interested in builds/order, gear and whatnot.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:51am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:57pm:

Buy a travelers trunk or two - they have a set of sovereign pots.

Voice of the Master augment in some true seeing goggles + VIP xp bonus + guild ship bonus + sovereign pot takes you to 3.4 million. If you’re going to crank through some racials, then throw a couple of bucks at doing it with a lot less effort.

Litany + Mirror Darkly (make a free account into an opener on one of your lives before the end of August) + Rainbow in the Dark + Running with the Devils + Vol + Ghosts of Perdition + Sane Asylum (take a few minutes to learn the path through the maze + two puzzle versions and the quest is crazy fast) or your choice of other similar quests and you’re capped.

I’m sure there are quicker paths, but make sure you have all the bonuses in place when you chug that XP stone because it’s way faster to get 400k xp than it is to get 1,000,000xp.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Also, if you’re going to do a Fire Sorc on some lives, Sunburst makes those fucking fire immune Shadows and Forgewraiths just vanish.  Mass Charm Monster + Sunburst makes a bunch of those quests way easier than they would be otherwise.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:29am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:54am:
Also, if you’re going to do a Fire Sorc on some lives, Sunburst makes those fucking fire immune Shadows and Forgewraiths just vanish.  Mass Charm Monster + Sunburst makes a bunch of those quests way easier than they would be otherwise.

I’ve been playing with charms a lot. Sharn welcome. You can Zerg that by charming everything. Help them out by killing to two red names at the end, and you’re done. The downside is you start getting dungeon alert which slows you down some. Anyway, it can be fun.

Best laid plans: sunburst is great for wraiths. But you still have the iron golemns who are healed by fire. You can either take time weakening them one by one OR you have some acid spells. Acid will be sP inefficient—and that quest is already easy to run out of SP if you’re solo or short-man. I’ve started running electric. It works on everything in Sharn and you get wind dance. The downside is chain lightning isn’t as good as meteor. But most of the quests are fine. You just have to watch your SP a little more. One way to be more efficient? Those charms!
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:33am by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:51am:
Buy a travelers trunk or two - they have a set of sovereign pots.

Now that is some solid advice. Why give more money to SSG?

NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:51am:
I’m sure there are quicker paths, but make sure you have all the bonuses in place when you chug that XP stone because it’s way faster to get 400k xp than it is to get 1,000,000xp.

Yep. Learned that. First life used 30% potion, ship shrine, voice, got me to 17. Wasn't bad and I had fun, but not as much fun as I could have had.

Second life, sov potion, got straight to 18, 3.2 million. Not bad at all, not great though. Still enjoying it.

Going to spring for the sub, that extra 10% suddenly seems worth it.

I do wonder: if I got into a party with 5 other people + all buffs, THEN ate the stone, d'you think I'd get the extra +5% buddy bonus?

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I do wonder: if I got into a party with 5 other people + all buffs, THEN ate the stone, d'you think I'd get the extra +5% buddy bonus?

Nope. VIP bonus XP weekends count for box stones, but in-quest bonuses don’t count toward them, unfortunately.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Well I just managed my first-ever casual TR in a day. There's so many people I'd like to thank Head-Meat, Dupehero, DDOplayer98, and, of course, Heystack Ironhorse. Actually, on second thought, I'm not thanking you, Heystack. You stood there and watched me die. Fuck you, Heystack. Fuck you.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I'm sure I can get better. But, my last one was about 2.75 hours of questing based on the remains of my Sov Pot. Not bad!

I mostly run the Sharn sagas with Cogs and Litany as needed. It's good xp, and I also need all those dumb mats to upgrade nearly finished crap.

I don't have a Masters gift aug.. Need to go run threnal apparently. That would help some to slot that on a ML1 item. Good call Pope. 

I'm also not fully efficient because i want to run everything on R1(to R3) for that XP. Because I'm waaay behind on that grind. Only have like 15 RPs. Anyway, it would be faster to run R1, Leet, Hard, Norm Litany, for example, etc if heroic XP were the only thing.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 6:57pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I did a little better than you, about 2.15 hours questing time(based on 45 minutes left on sov potion) but I also sprung for 2 months VIP and have the Master's Gift in an ML1 ring. Finishing up my third Halfling life right now(TR cache emptying as we speak). Second day in a row doing a life in a day. Very excited.

Up next I'm going to complete the last Warforged racial(since I did 2 the old fashioned way) as an Artificer. It'll be slow as balls but I need a break from melting faces, and that'll give me 9 finished racial PLs. Add in the 2 AP already and I'll have 5 extra AP to play around with. I'm doing Gnome after WF for the comedic value.

Anyone have any thoughts on what races have the best racial trees? I want to save those for much later when I'll have more RAP to spend on them(for example: doing tiefling dead last).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint