Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO and Exploiting (Read 12178 times)
ddoplayer98
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

DDO and Exploiting
Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Why oh why does DDO allow exploiting...

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: DDO and Exploiting
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
ddoplayer98 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:48pm:
Why oh why does DDO allow exploiting... 

Sudden change of heart?  Going to donate all your ill-begotten gains to orphans?  If you have any leftover stock on Cannith, you can kick it over to me Wink  I'll probably never use it but there's no telling.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:53pm by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

ddoplayer98
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
More curious on if you all think it's because they make money off the exploiting or if they lack the skillset to patch it.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
ddoplayer98 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:59pm:
More curious on if you all think it's because they make money off the exploiting or if they lack the skillset to patch it.

Can't it be both?  It's a well established fact at this point they don't bother fixing anything if they're making money off of it.  If it's driving up sales, they're going to turn a blind eye and give some token slaps on the wrists to mostly non-whales.

If it's cutting into their sales, they're going to fix it as soon as they can figure it out.  They usually end up breaking about 5 different things before they can pinpoint an actual solution to the problem.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't call it "allowing". Its more like "don't know its happening" or "can't figure out how to stop it"

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  

From a software perspective, I suspect it's a lack of modularity that hinders their ability to address issues. Basically comes down to poor up-front design and/or implementation. Everything they try to fix breaks 10 other things, and there's no going back.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
They wrote bad code and then fired everyone who knew how to fix it. Rewriting the entire engine from scratch is not economically feasible. At this point, its more important to keep the lights on.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:24pm:
At this point, its more important to keep the lights on.

Jerry needs his night light.  Pretty sure he has a cot set up in the janitor's closet.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Don't forget spotty unit testing and absolutely zero regression testing.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
because it's part of the game and has been that way since the origin.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
They wrote bad code and then fired everyone who knew how to fix it. Rewriting the entire engine from scratch is not economically feasible. At this point, its more important to keep the lights on.

I'm going with this explanation.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
The even bigger question/problem is: why do they keep banning people? When your player base is that small, firing a paying customer cannot be good for business.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Bigger question is why are none of you tightwads telling me what's going on and how to do it.  Might make logging in entertaining again.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 7:42pm:
Bigger question is why are none of you tightwads telling me what's going on and how to do it.  Might make logging in entertaining again.

Have you not been looking at the vault? The dupping is rampant it's escaped the game! Someone duped DDO-Specific discussion.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:34am
Print Post  
this is the only thread in the history of the vault in which every single post is straight and true

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 5:51pm:
The even bigger question/problem is: why do they keep banning people? When your player base is that small, firing a paying customer cannot be good for business.

I would imagine they have a quick peek at the money spent on any account before they ream them. Whales are worth tasking a GM to manually fuck the account.

IP Logged

Valerianus
Korthos Resident

I Whole Lotta Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:45pm
Print Post  

my idea too.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:06pm:
I would imagine they have a quick peek at the money spent on any account before they ream them. Whales are worth tasking a GM to manually fuck the account.

No actually we've had several verified instances of top-spending whales being banned. It clearly does not matter how much you spend, at least not to whoever is making the judgement call.

It equally doesn't matter in the cases of non-exploiters. HUGE whales have quit because of account problems SSG refused to fix. They don't appear to get a GM involved for anything unless there's  huge outcry on the motherboards, and even then it takes 10 times longer than it should.

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 2:11pm:
From a software perspective, I suspect it's a lack of modularity that hinders their ability to address issues. Basically comes down to poor up-front design and/or implementation. Everything they try to fix breaks 10 other things, and there's no going back.

I don't think this is the issue.

I've been a Turbine player (albeit in the past) since 1999 with Asheron's Call.  They had the right programmers develop DDO and LOTRO.  They are night and day to Star Wars Galaxies or Ultime Online and the exploits available due to poorly-planned engine and world coding (although original SWG was very exciting because you could code your own actions IN the default game script, and then they took that away, lame).  AC was interesting because they allowed insertion of java.script and an interface (AC Online or something) would run these and automate all kinds of things.  Kistilan logged DAYS (months?) as a buffing NPC as his Monarchy's mansion for vassals thanks to those very-neat scripts you could customize.

I think when they transferred the property to SSG that they lost some coders that knew things and that their knowledge ops continuity was not documented well-enough to transfer the coding.

Knowing a specific modular characteristic through a parent or child object is one thing, but when they modified and continued to grow the reincarnation system, they invited slight nuances that are not obvious. 

It's probably all modular.  It's also probably not documented well-enough to be figured out by new "maintenance coderss" because it's the 50th modula of Jumanji with 18 parent=children relationships that's enabling specific functions to be exploited at higher, basic level objects not-intended on receiving an inherent funciton from a child object.

Speculation as well, but DDO didn't have this crap until Reincarnation was developed and then XP exploits began, followed by apparently item duplicating.

Or maybe this has been there since Day 1.  Chinese Plat Farmers duping plat in 2006?

-K¥§ťì£æñ- of Relics of the Last War
In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Kistilan wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:40am:
I think when they transferred the property to SSG that they lost some coders that knew things and that their knowledge ops continuity was not documented well-enough to transfer the coding.

I think they lost lots of coders during the various rounds of layoffs under WB rule. Kistilan wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:40am:
then XP exploits began, followed by apparently item duplicating.

XP Exploit didn't need XP stones... Who remember going to Gianthold with a LVL 9 Party to farm the shit out of PoP ?
They had to nerf the XP on the quest 4 times and to kill the underlevel bonus to get rid of XP farming.

( the path was easy : once off Lower Harbor, STK ( farm t'il 5 ) , Gwylan ( farm to 6th ), VON ( farm to 9th ), PoP ( farm to 12 ). ) Kistilan wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:40am:
Or maybe this has been there since Day 1.  Chinese Plat Farmers duping plat in 2006?

Plat farmers farmes Gwylan in the early days. And duped... but since it was a niche game the revenue/time wasted farming & duping was poor for established Chinese plat farmers... Add to that the area only general chat ( or no worldwide chat to spam ) and it was a pita for them ( one farmer in the harbor, one in the marketplace, one in each house... that's 6 persons to pay instead of one ), so they moved on pretty fast.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
So I don't know the current exploit issues, etc but if duping is accomplished, perhaps the Chinese plat farmers knew something

I'm only saying, from logging hundreds of hours in 05 Alpha/Beta through release in 05-06, and the relatively abundant amounts of plat available on a few sites (buying 100,000K plat was quite a lot of "farming") and they never had delays or "We're sold out" on any option, I think maybe they knew something more than just the standard zerg to VON and high-end loot of the time to reap such levels of plat for resale.  So maybe there has been a previously-patched dupe that has re-emerged with the current duping techniques based on new items that didn't get the "patch" from way back in the early days of Plat Farmers.

As for XP Exploit, not talking about Power Leveling (Did they make that illegal too?  Fuck me if they did, glad I'm not playing something where a stronger person carries a weaker and gets nixed by the Admins for it).    Specifically, best XP Exploit I clearly remember revolved around a poorly-coded limited-time event and Dimension Dooring at the end of the quest and going in and out of the quest multiple times to get multiple completions of the same quest, instantly leveling you usually.

In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I actually bought plat way back in the day... twice. So strange to picture, spending money for something virtually worthless today.

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #22 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 5:16pm:
I actually bought plat way back in the day... twice. So strange to picture, spending money for something virtually worthless today.

I just pretend I ate more fast food than usual and it's pretty much a wash, the money was pooped out one way or another.

At least there were longer periods of socially-engaging with folks in-game and experiencing some awe with the DDO route. 

I've yet to be in wonder of any food purchase since I lived in Japan.

In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Kistilan wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 9:58pm:
I just pretend I ate more fast food than usual and it's pretty much a wash, the money was pooped out one way or another.

At least there were longer periods of socially-engaging with folks in-game and experiencing some awe with the DDO route. 

I've yet to be in wonder of any food purchase since I lived in Japan.

There was a time in my game-playing experience when if I had 200,000 plat on my main, it was a really good day. Back when the plat economy was still a thing I was just starting out, had no idea, and not playing hard enough to get decent things. A couple shady plat buys later, and I had a dragonscale docent + some other niceties.

These days I have to keep finding new places to shove all the plat, and selling shit to other players for plat is a distant memory.

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:41pm:
There was a time in my game-playing experience when if I had 200,000 plat on my main

I think by the time I left my main seven to eight slots each carried 1M+ plat, but I didn't leave it there.  I dumped a bunch I believe into the Airship for the guild, got ahold of the active officers/members and handed out millions to make sure they could  continue on without me.

And that was the end of that. Happy No idea what the economy is like now in game, 'cept it appears selling "otto's boxes" is a big deal. 

When I left the oak hearts or whatever were kinda the primary top-end thing for reincarnation.

In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint