Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best Ranger Right Now (Read 2455 times)
UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Best Ranger Right Now
Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Part of the Family Set:
Armor: Legendary Wildcard: Fort 214% - PRR 54 - Heal Amp 85 - False Life 81 - Green slot
Necklace: Legendary Family Recruit Sigil: True Seeing - Armor Piercing 33 - Deadly 17 - Relentless Fury - Yellow slot
Gloves: Legendary Hammerfist: Insightful Doublestrike 11 - Seeker 21 - Insightful Deadly 8 - Cannith Combat Infusion - Blue slot

(Set gives +15 Doublestrike - 25 Artifact Melee Power - 15% Artifact damage vs Helpless - 10% Fort bypass)

Head: Legendary Umber Brim: Insightful Accuracy 16 - Insightful Deception 8 - Profane well-rounded - Improved Quelling Strikes - Green slot
Goggles: Legendary Collective Sight: Dex 21 - Insight Dex 10 - Quality Resistance 4 - Blue slot

Cloak: Legendary Cloak of the City's Champion: Parrying 10 - Insightful CON 10 - Quality PRR 13 - Green slot
Belt: Legendary Bronze Dragonscale Belt: CON 21 - Heal Amp 85 - Insightful False Life 40 - Lifesealed 50 - Blue slot

Wrist: Brand of Kalok Shash: STR 22 - Quality Accuracy 8 - Quality Deadly 5 - Fire Absorb 53% - Green slot - Blue slot - Yellow slot

Ring: Legendary Celestial Ruby Ring: INT 21 - Stunning 23 - Accuracy 33 - Ghostly - Green slot
Ring: Slaver crafted: Sheltering 45 (for the MRR) - 185 Devotion - Hide 22 - Quality DEX +4

Trinket: Cannith crafted: Doublestrike 17 - Resistance 12 - Insightful Stunning +8
Boots: Cannith crafted: Dodge 15 - ??? - Ins Seeker 7 - Yellow slot (Feather Fall)

20 Ranger Wood Elf

Commentary:
Wood Elf for a few reasons--bonus to Dex and no elven Con penalty, Elven Weapon Training enhancement bonus to scimitars, and I like Wood Elves (flavor).
Pure ranger for Tempest capstone.

Stats
. . . . . . . .36pt . . Tome . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .--------
Strength. . . . .8. . . .+6. . . .4: DEX
Dexterity . . . 20. . . .+6. . . .8: DEX
Constitution. . 18. . . .+6. . . 12: DEX
Intelligence. . .8. . . .+6. . . 16: DEX
Wisdom. . . . . 10. . . .+6. . . 20: DEX
Charisma. . . . .8. . . .+6. . . 24: DEX
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: DEX

Commentary:
Max dex and con, two points in Int and Wis. Get all the skill points I want with 8 Int, but could put 2 there instead of Wis.
I like having Str as a dump stat, and only have to worry about Dex and Con which helps with gearing.

Skills:
Max: Spot, UMD, Heal, Balance, Search

Jump to 10 (any more is a waste)
1 point in tumble
I have some left over points and put them in hide and move silently, and am a very capable sneaky player, though rarely use sneak.

Commentary:
Concentration skill not a priority due to having Quicken feat for healing casting. Concentration would be then left to help with scroll usage, which is limited to Res Scrolls in this build.
With the change (nerf) to Scion of the Ethereal Plane, Hide doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Feats:
1 Precision
3 Completionist
6 Toughness
9 Improved Crit: Slash
12 Maximize
15 Quicken
18 Dodge
21 OC
24 Epic Toughness
26 Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
27 Blinding speed
28 Elusive target
29 Dire Charge
30 Epic Reflex
30 Scion of the Ethereal plane

Commentary:
I value having lots of HP, thus going against the general grain with Toughness/Epic Toughness. The combo adds 82 hp at cap. Need to be able to take some hard hits and survive.
Maximize vs Empowered Healing - I really value the ability to be a highly effective single target healer, and I've kept tanks and whole parties up on high reaper content and in raids. He can burn through SP, but have an Epic Ring of Spell Storing, and SP pots. I also make sure I have a devotion bonus on my gear. The ability to heal others is underrated and just a huge bonus with this build.
Quicken - Need to get those heals off fast!
Dodge - Can take it or leave it. I don't have any issues maximizing dodge with the help of items and enhancements, and maximizing dodge is a must on the build.
Elusive target - Can take it or leave it, and didn't feel anything else was better.
Dire Charge really helps as this build has no other crowd control which is a weakness that you have to be smart to work around.
Epic Reflex - It's not about the bonus to reflex saves as it is the no fail on a 1. This guy just doesn't fail reflex saves. Love dancing in the middle of traps in reaper.
Scion of the Ethereal plane - With the change (nerf), I'm still taking this over Scion of Arborea, though to be honest I could go either way. I like the Permanent Lesser Displacement and Ghost Touch. I like the Permanent Invisibility Guard too for flavor as it melds well with the playstyle.

Enhancements:

Tempest (to capstone):

Recommended for tempest:
Shield of Whirling Steel, Tempest, Graceful Death, Deflect Arrows, Whirlwind, Dervish
Improved Reaction III, Whirling Blades, Improved Defense III
Improved Parry III, Whirling Blades, Sprint Boost III
Storm Dancer, Whirling Blades
Storm Tempest, The Growing Storm III, Whirling Blades
Dual Perfection, Many Cuts III, Whirling Blades, Dance of Death III

Commentary:
I take the passive Many Cuts vs the Thousand Cuts clickie because I value simplicity and not having too many buttons to click in combat. I like to keep my core combat button click options to 12-13 slots
They really nailed Dance of Death (DoD) with the recent changes to it. The change to a 10 second clickie from the on-it activation itself was wonderful, but the fact you can have this ability on for 10 out of every 15 seconds is just marvelous. 200% Strikethrough Chance (plus the default 20%) so you are hitting three mobs at once (with a small chance to hit four). Moreover, the fact that so many of the abilities can proc on a Strikethrough, gosh...Let's just say that Tempest is better than ever solely based on the change to DoD. In the last 3-5+ years Tempest have gotten respect for high dps but I'd say they've been overlooked in recent years with Inquis and now THF. I'm fine with that...

Deepwood Stalker (at least 30 AP for the 4th core Mark of the Hunted):
Far Shot, Sneak Attack, Exposing Strike, Advanced Sneak Attack, Mark of the Hunted
Stealthy III (for +1 additional Sneak Attack Die), Increased Empathy I
Survivalist, Melee/Range Power Boost III
Survivalist, Thrill of the Hunt III, Favored Hunter III
Survivalist, Killer III, Merciful Strike

Commentary:
Exposing Strike DWS clickie attack is huge for this build. When you get agro in it gives you 4 out of every 6 seconds of sneak attack and works on named bosses.

Merciful Strike - I really like and part of my core combat rotation - (+3[W] damage. On Sneak Attack: If the target is below 50% health, deal 500 damage. This damage scales with 100% Melee Power). You do have to manage that they are vulnerable to sneak attack when you activate.

Advanced Sneak Attack (T3 Core Ability): +1 Sneak Attack Die. +10 Positive Spell Power. You gain a +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range with your equipped weapons. (This does not apply to Shields or Unarmed). Your attacks now bypass 10% fortification.

Mark of the Hunted: Activate: Expend a use of Wild Empathy. Your currently selected enemy receives -25% Fortification, -10 Armor Class, -10 Spell Resistance, and suffers a -4 penalty to all ability scores for 3 minutes. This effect also works on bosses and Raid bosses.
Passive: Your attacks bypass an additional 10% Fortification. You also gain +2 Damage when attacking Favored Enemies.
Passive: +10 Positive Spell Power

Mark of the Hunted, for red named and bosses, lasts more than enough time and benefits the ENTIRE party.

Wood Elf:
Elven Accuracy I, Nature I: +1 Dexterity
Elven Weapon Training I:

I have (5) racial action points is the reason for this.

For any left over enhancement points, I pump dex.

Epic Destiny:
Shadow-dancer is the way.

+10 Melee Power per Innate ability (60 total). The special abilities use your Dex stat. DDoor is nice to have.

Some core ones to take:
T1 Stealthy (3 points) - For +6 Assassinate DC for use with Executioner's Strike and Consume
T2 Lithe (3 points)
T3 Meld Into Darkness (3 points) - This is like getting the flashy star in Super Mario Brothers for 15 seconds invulnerability. The 120 second cooldown timer is reasonable, and the ability is usually there when you really need it. Huge for survivability.
T3 Grim Precision (3 points) - 15% fort bypass and 3% dodge bypass.
T5 Executioner's Strike (2 points) - Install kill with dc based on character level + higher of Dex modifier + Assassination bonuses. 12 second cooldown. Works with strikethrough. Yes please.
T5 Sealed Soul (2 point cost) - I took this because who doesn't hate neg levels. Not essential.
T6 Dark Imbuement - I love this ability. 30 second buff and only 2 minute cool down. +15 Melee Power, +2 sneak attack die, 9d6 unholy damage, the effective range of your melee attacks increases dramatically. With the attack range boost, combined with Dance of Death, it's like a giant harvesting machine rowing down rows of crops.

Twists:
Martial Hymn
Critical Damage
A Dance of Flowers
Unearthly Reactions
First Harmonic Chord

Commentary:
For Unearthly Reactions, I value adding the +6 reflex saves (adding strength to strength), the +3 dodge, and I like the flavor of phasing out when tumbling (and the visual).
I'm not sold on Critical Damage as my T3 twist.
Impregnable Mind is a backup T1 twist I am tempted to add to help out my will saves (which stink).

Gear: (as of Update 46)

Armor: Legendary Wildcard: Fort 214% - PRR 54 - Heal Amp 85 - False Life 81
Necklace: The Family’s Blessing: Quality Assassinate +2, Insightful Armor-Piercing - 16%, Competence Deadly +17, Doublestrike 24%
Gloves: Legendary Hammerfist: Insightful Doublestrike 11 - Seeker 21 - Insightful Deadly 8 - Cannith Combat Infusion

Head: Legendary Umber Brim: Insightful Accuracy 16 - Insightful Deception 8 - Profane well-rounded - Improved Quelling Strikes
Goggles: Legendary Collective Sight: Con 21 - Insightful DEX 10 - Quality Resistance 4
Cloak: Legendary Cloak of the City's Champion: Parrying 10 - Insightful CON 10 - Quality PRR 13
Ring: Legendary Celestial Ruby Ring: INT 21 - Stunning 23 - Accuracy 33 - Ghostly
Wrist: Legendary Ironclad Armbands: Devotion +214 - Protection +17 - Parrying +10 - Equipped Healing Amplification +43
Ring: Ring of the Silver Tongue: Improved Deception - Insightful Deception +8 - Assassinate +9 - Insightful Assassinate +4
Belt: Legendary Belt of Sure Strikes: Magical Sheltering +54, Insightful Seeker 10, Quality Combat Mastery +5, Quality Accuracy +8
Boots: The Shrouded Steps of the Beyond: Dexterity +22 - Enhanced Ghostly - Insightful Dodge +10% - Quality Dodge +5%
Trinket: Legendary Bottle of Smoke: Quality Dexterity +5 - Smoke Screen - Speed +30 - Deception +17

Commentary:
Login/unbuffed/non-reaper stats:
80.02% doublestrike (Killer enhancement stacked 4 times will bring to 100% or use a reaper charge to add 30%)
Offhand hit is 100% with 41% doublestrike on off hand.
97% fort bypass
17d6 sneak attack
172 standing melee power - Not including Martial Hymn which adds 10 melee power and 2d6 sneak attack (19d6), and Dark Imbuement (every 30 seconds out of 2 minutes) which adds 15 melee power and another 2d6 sneak attack (to 21d6).
175 PRR and 97 MRR
2200 HP and 914 SP

Scimitars:
Nightshard
Vulkoor's Edge
The Fractured Elegance

Commentary:
Will circumstantially switch between Vulkoor's Edge and The Fractured Elegance in the off hand. Love my Nightshard. They are fixing Glass Shards, yay!

Playstyle:
A dex based scimitar ranger is best played as an off-tank and should always be focused on positioning to do sneak attack damage. Ideally others have agro, but the Exposing Strike DWS clickie (4 out of every 6 seconds of sneak attack) really helps when you have agro.

Maximize use of items giving sneak attack damage (Deception, Insightful Deception), and get three Sneak Attack Die from DWS tree, and six SA die from Shadowdancer (SD).

A focus should be on getting Fort Bypass as high as possible (over 100%), which benefits not only the sneak attack damage, but also the expanded crit range of the scimitar. This is a key of the build. With the advent of sharn content, we saw very high fort mobs and this character really, really shined in this regard.

Fort Bypass Passive Sources:
Precision feat (25%)
Armor-Piercing Item - The Family’s Blessing - Insightful Armor-Piercing - 16% (or 33% on Legendary Family Recruit Sigil)
Advanced Sneak Attack (10%) - DWS core 3
Mark of the Hunted (10%)
Grim Precision (15%) - from SD.
Can also Twist in Piercing Clarity (10%)
5% from Filigree
Etc.

Threat reduction:
I use the 50% threat reduction Treachery filigree, plus the inherent 20% from the Shadowdancer Shadow Training III Innate ability. This is useful to maintain sneak attack on end bosses, but also detrimental for the occasional instance you need to keep agro and be a main tank.

Entering a combat situation against trash, it usually Dark Imbuement > Dire Charge > Dance of Death > Executioner's Strike > MASS DEATH (and sometimes the mobs die too)

The end result is a highly resilient, versatile and high DPS character.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Best Ranger Right Now
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:50am
Print Post  
UnknownBuilder wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:28am:
Best Ranger Right Now

Definitely not anything you're posting.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Ixitxachiti
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
You didn't even bother to change most of it.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514165-Dex-Scimitar-Tempest

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Ixitxachiti wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:13pm:
You didn't even bother to change most of it.

Never claimed the build was mine lol, you're a BETA MALE

IP Logged

Ixitxachiti
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
What is with you and the beta male shit. What your mommy wouldn't look you in the eyes when she sucked your dick?

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Ixitxachiti wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:02pm:
What your mommy wouldn't look you in the eyes when she sucked your dick?

I dont speak BETA MALE, stop self reflecting your perverted fantasies

IP Logged

Ixitxachiti
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
So your just a fucking half wit that thinks it sounds tough then. Got it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Ixitxachiti wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:02pm:
What your mommy wouldn't look you in the eyes when she sucked your dick?

that's hot

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 2:34am
Print Post  
UnknownBuilder wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 2:59pm:
Never claimed the build was mine lol, you're a BETA MALE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEE

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Nobody uses Scion of Ethereal anymore, best or otherwise.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 1:45am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 1:01am:
Nobody uses Scion of Ethereal anymore, best or otherwise.

what do people use

IP Logged

StratleThot
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
OP how is your self healing?  What’s your highest solo R completion?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
This build is shit.

IP Logged

UnknownBuilder
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
StratleThot wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 12:11pm:
What’s your highest solo R completion?

r6

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
StratleThot wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 12:11pm:
OP how is your self healing?  What’s your highest solo R completion?

UnknownBuilder wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:02pm:
r6 I don't actually play the game and am just a troll

Translated.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:30am
Print Post  
UnknownBuilder wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:02pm:
r6

RrEeeeEeeEEEeeEEeeEEEeEEEeeEEEeeEEeeEEEeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEE!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint