Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Did SSG just hard crash? (Read 5531 times)
eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Re: Did SSG just hard crash?
Reply #50 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
no matter what happens, rest assured- the problem was on someone elses end. your computer was not good enough to run a game from 2005, your internet is too slow to maintain 5000bps throughput, the isp had a problem, the datacenter had a problem, microsoft had a problem, a level 3 router had a problem, and the description was not clear enough. have faith, they will continue to work on this issue that isnt their fault.

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #51 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Some people are still on and playing.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #52 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Seems to be alright again. For now.

Edit: Pretty sure I've just been booted. Haha idiot me.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:07pm by kum-gulp »  

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #53 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I was just about to eTR/TR back to 1, but I think I’ll hold off on that since SSG’s gonna be on a shit-sandwich gorging lunch break for what looks like the next several days.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:13pm by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz »  

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Well the chat server is down now lol

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
If GLS.DataCenterServer isn't available then everything else is going to be down.  That's the URL the client checks on boot to get the server information to establish connections in the first place.

Checking DNDLauncher.log we can see this line.

2020.07.17 08:57:44[W] Data Center URL:   QUrl( "http://gls.ddo.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" ) 

The next one should be the account information that gets returned from the server when we log in followed by the various account level authorizations for stuff that was bought in the store.  Last line should be the game actually starting up.

Like this

2020.07.17 08:57:53[W] "      "C:/Program Files (x86)/Turbine/Dungeons & Dragons Online/x64/dndclient64.exe" -a 9PWAHRCWL9RHQPAP9JDQ7R2AD -h 198.252.160.44:9004 --glsticketdirect XXX --chatserver 198.252.160.44:2900 --rodat on --language English --gametype DDO --authserverurl https://gls.ddo.com/GLS.AuthServer/Service.asmx --glsticketlifetime 21600 --supporturl https://tss.ddo.com/TSSTrowser/trowser.aspx --bugurl http://ddobugs.turbine.com?task=ticket --supportserviceurl https://tss.ddo.com/TSSTrowser/SubmitTicket.asmx"

If we can't get to the first URL then nothing else is gonna work right and any active connections are going to eventually time out.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #56 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
palladin9479 wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 4:31pm:
If GLS.DataCenterServer isn't available then everything else is going to be down.  That's the URL the client checks on boot to get the server information to establish connections in the first place.

Checking DNDLauncher.log we can see this line.

2020.07.17 08:57:44[W] Data Center URL:   QUrl( "http://gls.ddo.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" ) 

The next one should be the account information that gets returned from the server when we log in followed by the various account level authorizations for stuff that was bought in the store.  Last line should be the game actually starting up.

Like this

2020.07.17 08:57:53[W] "      "C:/Program Files (x86)/Turbine/Dungeons & Dragons Online/x64/dndclient64.exe" -a 9PWAHRCWL9RHQPAP9JDQ7R2AD -h 198.252.160.44:9004 --glsticketdirect XXX --chatserver 198.252.160.44:2900 --rodat on --language English --gametype DDO --authserverurl https://gls.ddo.com/GLS.AuthServer/Service.asmx --glsticketlifetime 21600 --supporturl https://tss.ddo.com/TSSTrowser/trowser.aspx --bugurl http://ddobugs.turbine.com?task=ticket --supportserviceurl https://tss.ddo.com/TSSTrowser/SubmitTicket.asmx"

If we can't get to the first URL then nothing else is gonna work right and any active connections are going to eventually time out.

But then why would that also bring dd.com down?

Unless SSG is still stupidly hosting its own website like its 1995. And hosting it on the same hardware as the game servers.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #57 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I've been playing a bit. But, I got fully frozen and had to relog.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #58 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:05pm:

Unless SSG is still stupidly hosting its own website like its 1995. And hosting it on the same hardware as the game servers.

Pretty sure that’s exactly what’s going on here.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #59 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Relogged and finished up a gnome life. 16/36 racials done.. This one took 1:58. Not fully Efficient. Sharn Saga, LoD, and 2 runs of Members only all on R1 with the second Members on Leet.

But, I was running 3 of Sharn 1 as a hard-capped 17(19) to keep xp good for group. Plus, I was still getting Rxp.. So.. ok.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #60 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:12pm:
Pretty sure that’s exactly what’s going on here.

I just find that staggering(ly stupid) to imagine. Especially with virtualization, at the absolute LEAST you have your fucking web server on a separate virtual host, so when fat jerry drunkenly uploads a post with some bad java script it doesn't fuck your login server. Or, better yet, if you're NOT an idiot; you have your website hosted in the motherfucking cloud. That way, if a meteor hits your data center, you can at least say to your customers from your still functional website "we appear to be experiencing some difficulties..."

Anyway, I guess it's on-brand for SSG.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #61 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:46pm:
Relogged and finished up a gnome life. 16/36 racials done.. This one took 1:58. Not fully Efficient. Sharn Saga, LoD, and 2 runs of Members only all on R1 with the second Members on Leet.

But, I was running 3 of Sharn 1 as a hard-capped 17(19) to keep xp good for group. Plus, I was still getting Rxp.. So.. ok.

Just curious but aren't you a little nervous about pugging? Someone may notice "hey, weren't you a horc yesterday?

I've done all the racials I've finished(less than 16, probably) solo, but then I enjoy the freedom and don't much care if it takes 3 or 4 hours. The tieflings are going to go the fastest thanks to the AOE immunity stripper, so I'm gonna chill at 30 for a while whilst I farm tokens. Soooo many tokens....

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Wow.. really? I was on for a little bit earlier today, then logged to focus on work.. it hard crashed again? FML

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #63 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I keep missing the crashes. I was on for a bit, then off. Will be back on in half an hour or so, hope its up.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 5:05pm:

As was just said, that's exactly what they are doing.

It's looking like they have everything on-premise.  If the front end goes the whole thing goes with it, which is why I provided that URL to check for the status.  If someone wants to be high speed they can even do a little program that can speak SOAP to that endpoint and get the status of everything that's going on.

You want to know whats also inside their network?

https://ddocrafting.info/serverStatus/

Yep the thing that is supposed to tell us the server status is behind the front end that's been going down lately.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #65 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
palladin9479 wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 8:34pm:
Yep the thing that is supposed to tell us the server status is behind the front end that's been going down lately.

Just...WOW! 

LOL! 

It's like they're so fucking stupid, they're completely incapable of suspecting something's wrong there.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #66 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
As was just said, that's exactly what they are doing.

That explains a lot.

It's looking like they have everything on-premise. 

That, however, raises way more questions.

The whole point to virtualizing the servers(that is to say, the only logical reason FOR virtualizing the servers) is if they were being moved to third-party hosting. If you were keeping it on prem, why in gods name would you make a switch like that?!

MMOs, much more so than typical business applications, rely heavily on being optimized to the hardware-level. This is why "putting more ram in" isn't a solution to lag, the game is actually(or used to be actually) coded around specific hardware, memory addresses, I/Os, etc. Virtualizing it is the sort of hackneyed solution an idiot fanboy who'd only ever seen the inside of his personal gaming computer would suggest. While it does provide the ability to dynamically add more system resources that doesn't do anything because the engine wasn't coded around it

The actual ammount of processing power needed to run one of these really hasn't changed that much, its all about the optimizations.

But, this does answer the question of why the lag is so bad and why it's so hard to fix.

Fucking turbine.

You want to know whats also inside their network?

https://ddocrafting.info/serverStatus/

Well, it's on-brand, that much I'll give you.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #67 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 6:33pm:
Just curious but aren't you a little nervous about pugging? Someone may notice "hey, weren't you a horc yesterday?

I've done all the racials I've finished(less than 16, probably) solo, but then I enjoy the freedom and don't much care if it takes 3 or 4 hours. The tieflings are going to go the fastest thanks to the AOE immunity stripper, so I'm gonna chill at 30 for a while whilst I farm tokens. Soooo many tokens....

No. I’m just a whale that bought a stack of boxes. Also, the puggers  aren’t in the same place when I come back around. Except there is this one guy that almost keeps pace WITHOUT them. What an animal!
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:16pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #68 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:11pm:
No. I’m just a whale that bought a stack of boxes. Also, the puffers aren’t in the same place when I come back around. Except there is this one guy that almost keeps pace WITHOUT them. What an animal!

LMAO!! Well cool. Maybe I'll join up a pug here and there. ATM I just need to grind for tokens but I did decide to triple-life a couple of my favorite alts. I have a naked barbarian who literally never played in heroics. ALL his gear unusable, so I gotta grind very slowly to get that last 200k for this third life. Then he gets to shoot straight back to 30 and look cool.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:08am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:01pm:
The whole point to virtualizing the servers(that is to say, the only logical reason FOR virtualizing the servers) is if they were being moved to third-party hosting.

That's not true at all.  You virtualize because it's more efficient resource wise while also making it vastly easier to manage infrastructure.  People have been virtualizing servers since long before "The Cloud" ever existed, it's a way to get multiple hosts on a single piece of cheap hardware.  Migrating to an offsite datacenter is just much easier with virtualization then without.  Several venders make one or two socket microblades that you can slap into a chasis and get a dozen servers running in a cluster where you can then run hundreds of virtual machines.  Connect then whole thing up with some sort of storage and network fabric and you can get those VM's to migrate between hosts without any service outage.  Lots of really cool stuff becomes possible once you abstract the physical hardware from the Operating System.

To give an example, my home infrastructure is virtualized.  I have a single whitebox server I built that's running my Firewall/Router, DNS server, AD servers, a VPN server along with some private web services I do for friends.  I've even created a separate VLAN where I run my lab.  All that off a single fairly cheap system with lots of memory.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #70 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:55pm:
no matter what happens, rest assured- the problem was on someone elses end. your computer was not good enough to run a game from 2005, your internet is too slow to maintain 5000bps throughput, the isp had a problem, the datacenter had a problem, microsoft had a problem, a level 3 router had a problem, and the description was not clear enough. have faith, they will continue to work on this issue that isnt their fault.

It's probably my fault.

I actually uninstalled the game after not playing or updating it for years, they must have been using my machine to store the code that makes the game work properly.

Sorry everyone

*will reinstall for 50 Boxes*

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #71 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:59am:

I can pay.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #72 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:59am:

I'd say I'd return for half that...but every update diminish my interest a little more  Undecided

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
This shit has been going on for 3 days... have they said jack-shit for explanation yet?

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #74 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 4:50pm:
This shit has been going on for 3 days... have they said jack-shit for explanation yet?

Nope.  Even if they did, it'd be at least 99.9% bullshit anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint