Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Did SSG just hard crash? (Read 5551 times)
ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Did SSG just hard crash?
Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:34pm
Print Post  

"Um.. I wonder what happens if I pull on THIS one...."

ManyCookies wrote on Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:25pm:
Its very strange that they keep having data center issues. What kind of shitty data center is this?

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Honestly i wonder if there is some way to figure out which data center they are using from the IP address of the servers or something. Maybe its a data center famous for being shitty...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #27 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I thought they moved data center a year or two ago to what is (presumably) a better one?

No, they moved from a "Better one" to a cheaper one. That's actually when things took a sharp turn down shit-creek.

The year or two ago migration was from running the server on metal to virtualized, with very little thought or effort put into doing that right. They also moved to one that was a whole lot cheaper(I doubt SSG even owns the VM host, probably paying a 3rd party to do it all at a colocation they have no access to or control over)

Every MMO has it's rough patches. I recall the early days of WoW the kind of forum-angst you'd see when the game had to take a few days of scheduled down-time. It was funny. Even now people seem to think they're $15/month entitles them to nine 9s of uptime.

Honestly, I don't fault SSG for the occasional outage. I just ask they make it up to me with a few digital goodies that cost them absolutely nothing.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #28 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Its very strange that they keep having data center issues. What kind of shitty data center is this? I thought they moved data center a year or two ago to what is (presumably) a better one?

I honestly cannot think of any online game that keeps having data center issues like this. Can anyone? There is no way any other game company would be fine with data center issues like this.

They've played "Pass the Turd" for so long when it comes the blame game, it's amazing they haven't contracted cholera yet.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:38pm:
Honestly i wonder if there is some way to figure out which data center they are using from the IP address of the servers or something. Maybe its a data center famous for being shitty...

Ask Flav, he seems to be the local expert on that sort of thing. However "data centers" don't really have reputations that way. They're either in-house(for example: blizzard has it's own data centers); or what are called "colocations" which are basically big rooms full of racks, power, and switching capacity. Such facilities wouldn't stay in business long if they had a lot of unscheduled outages.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:39pm:
No, they moved from a "Better one" to a cheaper one. That's actually when things took a sharp turn down shit-creek.

The year or two ago migration was from running the server on metal to virtualized, with very little thought or effort put into doing that right. They also moved to one that was a whole lot cheaper(I doubt SSG even owns the VM host, probably paying a 3rd party to do it all at a colocation they have no access to or control over)

Every MMO has it's rough patches. I recall the early days of WoW the kind of forum-angst you'd see when the game had to take a few days of scheduled down-time. It was funny. Even now people seem to think they're $15/month entitles them to nine 9s of uptime.

Honestly, I don't fault SSG for the occasional outage. I just ask they make it up to me with a few digital goodies that cost them absolutely nothing.

Was it ever confirmed that the new data center was cheaper? I dont remember SSG giving any specifics back then.

And yea, MMOs usually have rough patches, thing is, most of those are in the early days when they are still figuring stuff out, DDO has been out for how long? They should have everything nailed down to an exact science by now.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:41pm:
Ask Flav, he seems to be the local expert on that sort of thing. However "data centers" don't really have reputations that way. They're either in-house(for example: blizzard has it's own data centers); or what are called "colocations" which are basically big rooms full of racks, power, and switching capacity. Such facilities wouldn't stay in business long if they had a lot of unscheduled outages.

Is Flav someone here?

I might be wrong but i thought the "standard" was that only big companeis who can afford lots of tech staff have their own in-house data center, and everyone else outsources it because its cheaper than maintaining their own staff and fixing problems themselves.

So there are two possibilities here :

-SSG has their own in-house data center, and their server team is really incompetent. Or the machines they are using are so bad that theres nothing they can do.

-SSG outsourced it to someone else, and that third party is really bad, but SSG keeps using them anyway because its cheap.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #32 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:47pm:
Was it ever confirmed that the new data center was cheaper?

What exactly do you mean by "confirmed"? What other possible reason would there be for doing a datacenter move?

"Yes, we're going to pick up this dying game and move it to a MORE expensive hosting infrastructure." - No One, Ever, Anywhere.

I dont remember SSG giving any specifics back then.

They quite literally never do.

And yea, MMOs usually have rough patches, thing is, most of those are in the early days when they are still figuring stuff out, DDO has been out for how long? They should have everything nailed down to an exact science by now.

So the problem is, one, lingering issues from the badly executed datacenter move/switch to virtualization(I could go into a lengthy technical summary but that would be boring), and two, all the quality people left. The game is now run by a very small team with all emphasis on maintaining the dwindling player base. When a major problem happens, they simply do not have the technical resources or know-how to fix it(there is, what, ONE guy left with engine-level knowledge of the game?). Just look at how they've closed most of the exploits: add artificial delays to stuff instead of, ya know, fixing the deep-seated architectural problems that make them possible.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #33 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Got on to play... damn thing has been down for over 3 hours?!

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:07am:
Got on to play... damn thing has been down for over 3 hours?!

Just barely. I know I was playuing at 6 PST, signed off, and saw this thread less than 20 minutes later.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #35 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Can't they take out the cartridge, blow in in, put it back in, and hit power?

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #36 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:13am:
Can't they take out the cartridge, blow in in, put it back in, and hit power?

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if that specific action is exactly what caused this.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #37 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Well, we know SOMETHING got blown, that's for sure...

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #38 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Back up

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #39 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516577-Revive-the-characters-that-died...

Cordovan: We are sorry if your character died due to instability in the game environment, but everyone here is correct that all deaths count on Hardcore regardless of cause.

I hope hardcore is one of the coffin nails for that company.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #40 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:47pm:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516577-Revive-the-characters-that-died...

Cordovan: We are sorry if your character died due to instability in the game environment, but everyone here is correct that all deaths count on Hardcore regardless of cause.

The rewards for this season are weak anyway imo.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
all deaths count on Hardcore regardless of cause.

Clearly, the game not working for every one of your players is a design feature and intended as a difficulty measure. The tooltip wasn't clear enough on that.

This is who the game is run by now. Severlin is a fucking crystal meth junkie, and the staff are just low quality human beings in general, not just professionally.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #42 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  

Apparently they think the solution to the dead cat bounce is to keep dribbling it.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
The forums are down again. Any bets on how long it will be before Hardcore crashes again?

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #44 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:14pm:
The forums are down again. Any bets on how long it will be before Hardcore crashes again?

I actually feel sorry for them.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
It's a fucking shit show on cannith. Long freezes every minute or two

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
And it's down again.

No response from here http://gls.ddo.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx

Means entire front end is offline.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #47 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
For the sake of accuracy, SSG seriously needs to change their name to Standing Still Games.

I wonder if they figured out which toddler spilled their juice box in the data center.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #48 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
SSG Motto:  If it’s not completely fucked up, keep trying until it is.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Fuckers. Don't they know I need a game to keep my mind occupied while I'm at work?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint