Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ranged DPS Options Post-U47 (Read 3462 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Ranged DPS Options Post-U47
Oct 19th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
How we doing out there, folks? I tried alchemist for a minute, but then I TRed into a Strength Tremor Pally, and I don't like it as much as my thrower.

Who is still running ranged DPS, which build, and how are they performing?

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Re: Ranged DPS Options Post-U47
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I still have a Rog/Art/1Barb at cap for farming because it runs pretty fast and despite the Inquis balancing is effective enough. It's not the meta but it's good enough that I can use it as a second runner when my main is ransacked. Never have a problem with it being incapable; it is ranged after all.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I tested inquisitive on lam. During a NHB dual wielding has a lower bolt output than single wielding. But when NOT using NHB dual wielding puts out more bolts. Significant enough for each to matter.

There might be a case for 18 rogue 2 levels of whatever, using mechanic 18th level core and Inquisitive tier 5 for NHB. Where you use Volley for NHB and dual wield xbows when not using NHB.

The old gxbow 10/6ftr/4arty builds might still be good. Haven't tested.

The light crossbow in feywild seemed good to use while swashbuckling, tested it on 16ro/3bard/1x

NHB peaked at 14 in LD for me, which isn't bad for my low life character. Single wield NHB.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I dropped my ranged toon for now. Other builds are just significantly stronger at this point that it feels kinda pointless trying to make ranged work.

For certain content, I imagine dagger throwers (same splits as before) are probably still strong enough to compete. But I'm not a fan of running builds that are specific to a small number of raids / quests.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Also that was a botched rotation where I neglected to turn on law dice. Wasted 4 seconds of Through the Mists because I used it incorrectly. You want to use it after you turn on NHB.

I will probably test again next lam. Using following order : Deadly Rain swap + NHB, swap to Through the Mists. Vac swap, Dust swap. Activated attacks are very few on inquisitive and maximizing the rotation is based more so on swapping correctly.

If done correctly and on a maxed character that time can probably be close to 10 seconds in LD.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Crossbows are still great DPS if you do it right (read: be mostly rogue), they are just not the new shiny thing anymore. And they have a bit of the glass cannon problem.

I need to update my build, but it's going to look mostly like this:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/99#99

except back to 18 rog/2 arti and 41 inquiz/31 mech/8 harper.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I miss the days FoTW was a thing in terms of DPS...

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Nov 9th, 2020 at 6:55am:
I miss the days FoTW was a thing in terms of DPS...

Still is my dawg. I pull aggro using fury if I'm not careful and/or the tank is a little weak.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Shiradi is very very good. Hard to say that fury is better.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:26pm:
Shiradi is very very good. Hard to say that fury is better.

Agreed.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
pure spike dmg is still hands down FOTW because of Unbridled Fury and speed of Adrenaline use vs Hunts End CD

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Shadowdancer if your build can make the instakills work without sacrificing DPS.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
So are you still having to manage 8 different cool downs and do constant weapon-swaps to make a decent ranged; or is there a nice  no-brainer option left?

As I consider my long-term goals in the game I'm leaning towards focusing on 3 characters: a melee, a ranged, and a spellcaster. I've got my super maxed out all PLs main sorc, and I have generally settled on my melee. If I can't effectively play a ranged I'll just stick with what I've got.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 6:25pm:
So are you still having to manage 8 different cool downs and do constant weapon-swaps to make a decent ranged; or is there a nice  no-brainer option left?

As I consider my long-term goals in the game I'm leaning towards focusing on 3 characters: a melee, a ranged, and a spellcaster. I've got my super maxed out all PLs main sorc, and I have generally settled on my melee. If I can't effectively play a ranged I'll just stick with what I've got.

I think a pure rogue mech or inquis is still solid and pretty no-brainer.

But, there are range-power swaps that are legit. Not required, but they help.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 6:52pm:
I think a pure rogue mech or inquis is still solid and pretty no-brainer.

But, there are range-power swaps that are legit. Not required, but they help.

Well so I've got Volley, Arbalest of the Damned on my pure rogue. That character in fact has a shocking amount of raid gear for how little he gets played... He is ablls-deep into mechanic so would probably do ok. Currently he is first-life lvl 30 with just a single tome(+8 dex) but between black friday and other resources I could probably fix that.

Think race is that important or can I keep him a smallboy?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
So I just spent some time twerping around on my mechanic - and I'm reminded how much I love the character. Or, more specifically, WOULD love the character if he were just a touch more capable.

So, going over planning for him, I'm wondering if heroic PLs past 3 are really worth the effort? Seems like most of the power is front-loaded into EPLs and those are a lot easier to get. Do I really need any heroic PLs past the two required to get 36pt build?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint