Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic No-Brainer Ranged Build theorycraft (Read 3067 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

No-Brainer Ranged Build theorycraft
Nov 26th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
So I'm working on beefing up my rogue mechanic. The idea is simple, sustained ranged DPS without having to cosntantly manage cooldowns/action boosts etc.

Rogue Mech with a great crossbow seems like the best bet.

The main question is the lvl split: pure rogue or 18 rogue/2 artificer?

The mechanic capstone is nice but it seems like a runearm would be better, plus all the free artificer feats(and having conjure bolts as a spell is nice convenience.

Or maybe go with an even deeper splash? Lots of rogue levels are certainly nice for sneak attack, but I'm fairly sure a lot of things at endgame are just immune.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

SpookyBoi
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: No-Brainer Ranged Build theorycraft
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I've played Gxbow Mechanic as both 20 rogue and 18-2 rog/arti, TR'd out of it around when sharn came out so I don't have any modern gearsets.

Personally I prefer the Arti splash, tons of small utility bonuses, extra spellpoints for feeding your KTA addiction (though usually an augment will cover this enough).

Go Mechanic as primary tree, secondary assassin (pick up things that boost sneak attack dice and put enough points for assassin's trick),  KTA from Harper, Arti is mostly for free feats + Runearms are another gearslot with some nice bonuses.

Nothing should be resisting your sneak attacks on a rogue assassin, especially if you run in shadow dancer or twist grim precision.

Precision+Assassin's Trick is already 50% fort reduction on a single target.

Precision 25%

Roughly 45+% Armor piecing from gear (AP and Insightful AP)

Grim precision 15%

That should be 85% base always on + Assassin's Trick 25% for 115% AP on s single target.

There's probably another 10-25% you can get somewhere like Sharn or Feywild Summer set bonuses and at least a few other things I'm not thinking about right now.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Cool.

I'm trying out the 18/2 split now. Lvling is a slow process tonight.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 8:07am
Print Post  
I went Inquis and 17Rog/2Art/1Bbn latest life because gotta have that run speed. Didn't notice a practical difference in DPS for the bump in speed, e.g. shots to kill not different enough to notice. The extra speed getting from place to place helped loads. Usual caveats that it depends what and how you're running though.

Agree the sneak immunity doesn't seem to be a problem with right enhancements & gear.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Nov 27th, 2020 at 8:07am:
I went Inquis and 17Rog/2Art/1Bbn latest life because gotta have that run speed. Didn't notice a practical difference in DPS for the bump in speed, e.g. shots to kill not different enough to notice. The extra speed getting from place to place helped loads. Usual caveats that it depends what and how you're running though.

Agree the sneak immunity doesn't seem to be a problem with right enhancements & gear.

Now that's an interesting notion. I find when I play the character my most often play style is indeed "Run around like a little asshole shooting at things". It means giving up on trap sense +6 but fuck that noise anyway(these days its impossibly to slot your trap gear with your DPS gear and to have a hope in hell of hitting the trap DCs you need to do like 6 gear swaps - faster to evade/heal than disable)

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah I spend more time thinking about how to cut quest times than how to increase DPS these days. Seems to be plenty enough available for me running E/lowR and the quicker completion times help squeeze more out of pots. Like I say though it's partly about what you want out of your game.

I also like Inquis, even post-nerf, because I can do whatever with the level splits and not have to overanalyse this capstone vs. this core, vs this level break etc. I do like doing that but not when I'm just getting lives done. Inquis makes remaining AP placement a nice treat on top of reliable core of DPS and speed.

This life I went Shadar Kai just for the wings. Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:23pm:
Yeah I spend more time thinking about how to cut quest times

Step 1: pure sorc
Step 2: bind hot keys to delayed-blast Fireball&meteor swarm
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit(short quest times)

In all seriousness my maxed out sorc can run faster than any split in low-reapers. Thats why I built a sorc entirely for farming. But yes I openly encourage any kind of fun.

than how to increase DPS these days. Seems to be plenty enough available for me running E/lowR and the quicker completion times help squeeze more out of pots. Like I say though it's partly about what you want out of your game.

Loot is generally my main motivator. I'm probably the only player who actively enjoys "gear tetris" and the main reason I care at all about the variety of builds is explicitly because I want to tinker and mix and match with the loot. Technically trop rates are higher on higher skulls, but in practice the extra time for even a 2-skull run is not worth the effort.

I also like Inquis, even post-nerf, because I can do whatever with the level splits and not have to overanalyse this capstone vs. this core, vs this level break etc. I do like doing that but not when I'm just getting lives done. Inquis makes remaining AP placement a nice treat on top of reliable core of DPS and speed.

This life I went Shadar Kai just for the wings. Smiley

I will say I am glad inquis is still legit. Its always nice to have that to fall back on when you're bored and just want to change things up.

But yeah I'm definitely going to give the 17/2/1 split a go, though 1 more TR means I have to actually PLAY the character in heroics... still, it appeals to my "Race around like a tiny little asshole" style of play for that character.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 3:41am
Print Post  

I do need need to work on revamping my mech, but I dislike this thread because one of my builds (pally) is named "No-Brainer".

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 28th, 2020 at 3:41am:
I do need need to work on revamping my mech, but I dislike this thread because one of my builds (pally) is named "No-Brainer".

Whoops, sorry about that. Thought it was vault shorthand.

"No-Brainer" is a registered trademark of 5 Foot Step, Inc.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
So I'm at 30 now with 1 barb/2 arti/17 rogue base and it is pretty neat. Still working out gear/enhancements but so far I'm liking it.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
If you're doing gxbow without the 18 rogue core, I feel sorry for you.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 6th, 2020 at 6:28pm:
If you're doing gxbow without the 18 rogue core, I feel sorry for you.

Indeed...

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Urg... forgot about the +2 crti multiplier to gxbs... that might just explain the drop-off in DPS.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
I take it there's really no point running a mech with under 18 rogue?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I ran 18/2 with gxbow and 17/2/1 (amongst others) with dual xbow and like I say, didn't notice enough difference in time to worry about it. gxbow does hit harder but my completion times went down. Presumably more to do with the bump in run speed than anything else.

Like I say I didn't notice enough difference to want to stick with 18 Rog and gxbow but it depends what you're running and what you want.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Dec 7th, 2020 at 11:40am:
I ran 18/2 with gxbow and 17/2/1 (amongst others) with dual xbow and like I say, didn't notice enough difference in time to worry about it. gxbow does hit harder but my completion times went down. Presumably more to do with the bump in run speed than anything else.

Like I say I didn't notice enough difference to want to stick with 18 Rog and gxbow but it depends what you're running and what you want.

Problem is I'm not overly interested in doing dual xbows. This is actually one of my very few characters with raid gear(somehow, despite being played the least) so he has Volley, Arbalest of the Damned for his main weapon, and I plan to keep it that way. Not interested in going inquisitive.

I'll get a couple more ETRs knocked out and then see how it runs. I really like the run speed boost but low DPS can be a problem.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Ah I didn't realise you were sticking with Mech. Yes, agree with others then you want the 18 Core. I do miss the big fat crits. Smiley

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Yeah mech is just more fun for me. If all I cared about was being the best... I wouldn't be playing DDO at all Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint