Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Goodby Wildmen (Read 12727 times)
Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Re: Goodby Wildmen
Reply #50 - May 2nd, 2023 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Enkidu was a Wild Man.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #51 - May 2nd, 2023 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on May 2nd, 2023 at 3:50pm:
Enkidu was a Wild Man.

And modern-day readers cry "Gilgimesh was a racist!".

Social justice warriors just live to be offended.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #52 - May 2nd, 2023 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 2nd, 2023 at 4:11pm:

Social justice warriors just live to be offended.

I'm sure that would be WotC and SSG's view.   Roll Eyes

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

IP Logged

Jug
Korthos Resident

Reply #53 - May 2nd, 2023 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 2nd, 2023 at 4:11pm:

everyone these days lives to be offended.

FTFY

IP Logged

OG_Gamer
Korthos Resident

SSG, is the biggest joke
in gaming.

Reply #54 - May 6th, 2023 at 2:49am
Print Post  
SSG is going totally woke!  The latest update to LOTRO allows you to make a trans character, DDO is sure to follow. Cry

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #55 - May 6th, 2023 at 11:45am
Print Post  
OG_Gamer wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 2:49am:
SSG is going totally woke!  The latest update to LOTRO allows you to make a trans character, DDO is sure to follow. Cry

Fuckin hell. Why the ever-loving fuck did we need that shit in a video game? I play video games to get AWAY from that bullshit.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #56 - May 6th, 2023 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I mean, it's a fantasy game...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #57 - May 6th, 2023 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 12:40pm:
I mean, it's a fantasy game...

I'm not saying it can't be justified within the lore(although I'm pretty fuckin sure Tolkien would call bullshit if you told him a man could call himself a woman and be taken seriously).

Its just that catering to the woke shitheads who want to role-play as tranneis should be very far down the priorities list. Think of the stupidest niche request you've ever seen on the motherboards. The most asinine, unnecessary garbage. This change should be about twice as far down the list as that. With "Fix lag" and "add a livable amount of storage to the game" at the absolute top.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - May 6th, 2023 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
OG_Gamer wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 2:49am:

Can I switch genders at any time then? Or is it something at character creation?

Final question can u link the details I don't do lotro forums am a casual.

IP Logged

OG_Gamer
Korthos Resident

SSG, is the biggest joke
in gaming.

Reply #59 - May 6th, 2023 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
platfarmchink wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 1:42pm:
Can I switch genders at any time then? Or is it something at character creation?

Final question can u link the details I don't do lotro forums am a casual.

It is in the part titled "LOTRO is celebrating the uniqueness of every player!"

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-35-1-release-notes-en

I just found out coming across a YouTube video about it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #60 - May 6th, 2023 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
How intrusive is this shit gonna be to the rest of the players? Because of its as bad as bud light's recent "celebration" i will definitely be jumping ship.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #61 - May 7th, 2023 at 9:40am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 4:33pm:
How intrusive is this shit gonna be to the rest of the players? Because of its as bad as bud light's recent "celebration" i will definitely be jumping ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGg9Y5R8_E

Eh. While I find it a bit silly/cringe to do. I see it on par with games like ARK where people make deformed monstrosities for memes.

You know that for every trans player that feels like they're finally represented by this, there will be at least four clowns making a bearded lady for shits and giggles.

I'd only really have a gripe if I was on a RP server to be honest. There I'd find my immersion somewhat broken by the update as a whole. From a Tolkien nerd point of view; the addition of these 'ethnic' targeted options are a bit of a squint and stretch at the source material to appeal to wider demographics with a game that has been steadily dying since around 2010. Though from a lore standpoint, bearded dwarf females is ironically lore appropriate. Humans and I assume elves are just wrong on so many levels.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #62 - May 7th, 2023 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 9:40am:
You know that for every trans player that feels like they're finally represented by this, there will be at least four clowns making a bearded lady for shits and giggles.

I would say more like 1 "feels represented" for every 10 or 20 shitclowns.

THe majority of the trans population already feels plenty "represented" just by being able to play as their preferred gender

Edrein wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 9:40am:
I'd only really have a gripe if I was on a RP server to be honest. There I'd find my immersion somewhat broken by the update as a whole. From a Tolkien nerd point of view; the addition of these 'ethnic' targeted options are a bit of a squint and stretch at the source material to appeal to wider demographics with a game that has been steadily dying since around 2010. Though from a lore standpoint, bearded dwarf females is ironically lore appropriate. Humans and I assume elves are just wrong on so many levels.

I think its primarily the reader's fault for assuming everyone in the Tolkienverse is white. And the casting director's fault for casting them that way.

There's an oft-overlooked concept in writing called "the law of conservation of detail" that says if something's not important to the plot, you don't include it. Meaning that if 3 of the 13 dwarves in the fellowship are black and 2 of them are Jewish, but it doesn't come up in the plot ever, then you don't include it. They're still black and/or Jewish, it just wasn't relevant to the story about slaying a dragon.

This same concept holds true for a lot of fantasy(and really just fiction in general). The writer's not going to take the time to painstakingly describe every incidental single character's ethnicity. If you read Tolkien(or any book that didn't explicitly say so) and assumed every character was white, that makes you the racist.

This of course brings us to the annoying "woke" shit going on that has me not watching most new movies and TV. According to the Law of Conservation of Detail, we can assume there's plenty of gay or trans characters out there, but because their gay or trans-ness was not incidental to the plot, it simply doesn't come up. So all the woke-ass shitheads are cramming gay and trans subplots into every single thing in order to jam this down our throats.

And its not that I'm offended, I'm just not interested.

Either they're doing something important to the plot and screaming "I'm GAY!" to make a statement(in which case why bother? You're just wasting screen time); or their gayness is somehow intrinsic to the plot, in which case the story has now become queer-fiction. Not being part of the target demographic for queer-fiction, I don't have any interest.

Either way, I don't need it.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #63 - May 7th, 2023 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 2:48pm:
I would say more like 1 "feels represented" for every 10 or 20 shitclowns.

THe majority of the trans population already feels plenty "represented" just by being able to play as their preferred gender

I think its primarily the reader's fault for assuming everyone in the Tolkienverse is white. And the casting director's fault for casting them that way.

There's an oft-overlooked concept in writing called "the law of conservation of detail" that says if something's not important to the plot, you don't include it. Meaning that if 3 of the 13 dwarves in the fellowship are black and 2 of them are Jewish, but it doesn't come up in the plot ever, then you don't include it. They're still black and/or Jewish, it just wasn't relevant to the story about slaying a dragon.

This same concept holds true for a lot of fantasy(and really just fiction in general). The writer's not going to take the time to painstakingly describe every incidental single character's ethnicity. If you read Tolkien(or any book that didn't explicitly say so) and assumed every character was white, that makes you the racist.

This of course brings us to the annoying "woke" shit going on that has me not watching most new movies and TV. According to the Law of Conservation of Detail, we can assume there's plenty of gay or trans characters out there, but because their gay or trans-ness was not incidental to the plot, it simply doesn't come up. So all the woke-ass shitheads are cramming gay and trans subplots into every single thing in order to jam this down our throats.

And its not that I'm offended, I'm just not interested.

Either they're doing something important to the plot and screaming "I'm GAY!" to make a statement(in which case why bother? You're just wasting screen time); or their gayness is somehow intrinsic to the plot, in which case the story has now become queer-fiction. Not being part of the target demographic for queer-fiction, I don't have any interest.

Either way, I don't need it.

I meant in more in the sense that Tolkien wrote about different ethnic groups, but they weren't central to the main plot which takes place in a more Euro-centric fantasy.

It's the same argument one could make for the Witcher and how Netflix bungled that. Albeit, in the case of Netflix they decidedly chose to race-swap characters that the author described as being unhealthily pale with a black actress for instance.

I don't disagree with the concept, honestly I'd love to see LoTRO actually expand into those areas that Tolkien briefly touched such as Harad or Rhun. That'd give them a chance to actually organically introduce players picking those 'racial customization' options. Instead, as we can see in the video you get to be the same basic backgrounds as the normal players, which in turn doesn't particularly mesh with the descriptions Tolkien gave.

Not saying that there wasn't the possibility of diversity, but in likelihood it wasn't either important enough to be noted by Tolkien as you said, or in a more likely scenario the regions in which the majority of the LotR universe take place is a merely a stand in for a 'fantasy' medieval Europe.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #64 - May 7th, 2023 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 3:58pm:
I meant in more in the sense that Tolkien wrote about different ethnic groups, but they weren't central to the main plot which takes place in a more Euro-centric fantasy.

It's the same argument one could make for the Witcher and how Netflix bungled that. Albeit, in the case of Netflix they decidedly chose to race-swap characters that the author described as being unhealthily pale with a black actress for instance.

The only problem with this logic is that even in ancient times people of other ethnicities than "white" did indeed exist in wester Europe. They were certainly less common. But, for example, the vikings made it all the way down to Africa and brought back slaves(thus starting the trend). Scottland traded with China as early as 3,000 years ago. And the Roman empire brought back folks from all over the damned place.

Yes, these people were minorities, but you could find the occasional black guy wandering around 9th-century London.

Edrein wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 3:58pm:
Not saying that there wasn't the possibility of diversity, but in likelihood it wasn't either important enough to be noted by Tolkien as you said, or in a more likely scenario the regions in which the majority of the LotR universe take place is a merely a stand in for a 'fantasy' medieval Europe.

With Tolkein specifically I suspect it goes a little further than "it wasn't important enough to mention" and strays into "it didn't occur to him that anyone would notice or care". Given the circles he traveled in he would most certainly been aware of racial diversity in ancient Europe. But he wasn't trying to write a story about racial diversity, he was trying to write about a grand adventure involving a dragon, gold, and a magic ring. If you think about it, skin color doesn't change the plot any. A black Bilbo would do all the exact same things as white Bilbo, because he is a god-damn hobbit and not an "african-shirenies".

IP Logged

McDude
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - May 8th, 2023 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Wow this is BS. I don't even have an idea why this is being done. Are cavemen problematic? (As some one pointed out in a previous comment) Enkidu from The Epic of Gilgamesh was a wildman, is he problematic?

I couldn't look at the thread on the official DDO forums as it said there is maintenance or something.

Keep wildmen in the game!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #66 - May 8th, 2023 at 1:42am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 5:28pm:
A black Bilbo would do all the exact same things as white Bilbo, because he is a god-damn hobbit and not an "african-shirenies".

Yeah. You try to sell the Pygmy Bilbo version and see how people would chew you up.  Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #67 - May 8th, 2023 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 1:42am:
Yeah. You try to sell the Pygmy Bilbo version and see how people would chew you up.  Grin

Thing is I'm relatively sure the book at no point makes any specific mention of Bilbo's skin color. I betcha I could make a fortune selling "ethnically-tailored" copies of the book wherein all I do is change the opening sentence to specify the reader's skin color Tongue

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #68 - May 8th, 2023 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
McDude wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 12:46am:
Wow this is BS. I don't even have an idea why this is being done. Are cavemen problematic? (As some one pointed out in a previous comment) Enkidu from The Epic of Gilgamesh was a wildman, is he problematic?

I couldn't look at the thread on the official DDO forums as it said there is maintenance or something.

Keep wildmen in the game!!!!!!!

Yes, Enkidu is suddenly problematic. He wasn't problematic ~2 decades ago, and he wasn't problematic for the other 4,000 years of the story's history.

But today he's problematic because "wokeness" or whatever fucking bullshit.

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #69 - May 8th, 2023 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
but we have WHORES in slavers, not a problem
but we have SLAVES all over the place, not a problem

he-bitch LynnLich fucking this game in the ass.

Fuck you and your wedding rings.  Welcome to thje internet you melting  pisswater snowflake.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #70 - May 8th, 2023 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 2:56pm:
but we have WHORES in slavers, not a problem
but we have SLAVES all over the place, not a problem

he-bitch LynnLich fucking this game in the ass.

Fuck you and your wedding rings.  Welcome to thje internet you melting  pisswater snowflake.

I know, right? Also let's not forget Drow are the bad guys in many adventures, and according to that one episode of Community Drow are black.

Ergo drow = racist.

So why do we still have Drow?

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #71 - May 8th, 2023 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 8:17pm:

Drizzt Do'Urden

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #72 - May 9th, 2023 at 10:21am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 8:17pm:
I know, right? Also let's not forget Drow are the bad guys in many adventures, and according to that one episode of Community Drow are black.

Ergo drow = racist.

The best part of this is the fact that Wizards are trying to reinvent the Drow with new drow subcultures/backgrounds/locations outside of the Underdark to give them more 'woke' options.

So far we've been given two out of the three new ones mentioned in the new Drizzt books.

Please welcome our new drow from Chult, which have an Aztec flavoring. AKA: Spearchuckers.

And their friends in the great white north beyond the Spine of the World the Avendrow; which wear parkas and drink wine mixed with blood. AKA: Eskimos?

So drow aren't just black anymore! Drow are replacements for any brown people, especially if they're tribalistic in origin!  Cheesy

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #73 - May 9th, 2023 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on May 9th, 2023 at 10:21am:
The best part of this is the fact that Wizards are trying to reinvent the Drow with new drow subcultures/backgrounds/locations outside of the Underdark to give them more 'woke' options.

So far we've been given two out of the three new ones mentioned in the new Drizzt books.

Please welcome our new drow from Chult, which have an Aztec flavoring. AKA: Spearchuckers.

And their friends in the great white north beyond the Spine of the World the Avendrow; which wear parkas and drink wine mixed with blood. AKA: Eskimos?

So drow aren't just black anymore! Drow are replacements for any brown people, especially if they're tribalistic in origin!  Cheesy

Oof. Goodbye frying pan, hello fire.

I wonder if the woke mind virus will ultimately kill fantasy as a genre?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint