Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2011 State of the Game (Read 8186 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

2011 State of the Game
Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
2011 State of the Game Producer Letter
April 21, 2011
A letter from our Executive Producer, Fernando Paiz to all DDO players!

Hi  Everyone-

And also a warm “Bonjour” and “Hallo” to all of our French and German players who are now part of our DDO community. Whether you are new to DDO or a long time player, thanks for supporting Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited and helping to make DDO one of the most successful F2P MMOs in the world!

Spring is always an exciting time for all of us here at Turbine as it is the time when we really get to see all of our plans for the year coming together. At this point in time, Update 9 is being prepped for launch;  we have the next three updates all lined up with detailed plans in place, and some amount of development underway for each of them.  It is looking like a really fantastic year for DDO and I am excited to share some details with you today.

The first big thing going on in DDO this year is our new French and German versions of DDO Unlimited which we just recently released. All of Turbine’s DDO clients and servers from now on will support multiple languages through a button in the top right section of the launcher (for English speakers like me who studied some French and German in school, you may be curious to give it a try). We plan to keep working to improve the quality of the localized versions of the game throughout the year and we are committed to delivering an outstanding service for our German and French speaking players. To all of you, a hearty welcome to our game and our community – we hope you love it as much as we do!

The first big release of the year is almost here! That’s right, Update 9 is loaded with many great improvements both large and small. One big change that I’m excited for is a major balance pass that was done for almost all spells in the game! We are giving casters more viable spell choices to use in combat situations and a better balance between the spell point cost and the impact of each spell. And best of all, spell point costs have generally gone down which means you should have more mana to burn in your adventuring. There are other improvements I’m personally excited for, including the changes to make non-boss Epic monsters feel… well… like non-bosses! It’s one step of many as we continue to revamp our Epic content. I also can’t wait for the improved animations to many of our combat actions, like trip and sunder, so it’s easier to see when you’ve triggered those abilities. I have a feeling my level 20 fighter is about to get a lot more play time - at least when my sorcerer isn’t having too much fun roasting baddies. Either way, it’s going to be fun!

Of course as always, we also have some great new adventure packs coming up. If there was one word to describe the state of mind of our content team for the last several months it would have to be “Madness”. Yes, fellow people of Eberron, the forces of Xoriat are on the rise and the “Harbinger of Madness” is upon us! Our next two adventure packs are both Xoriat themed and will introduce cool new monsters and major villains from the Plane of Madness. The “Harbinger of Madness” is a level 15 content pack with our take on a horror-story with a dash of insanity thrown into the mix. Those that prefer the insanity dialed up to 11 can look forward to the next update which will kick off with an appropriately zany sequel to our popular “Delirium” quest.

There is a lot more coming out with Update 9 including: prestige enhancements for Sorcerers and Favored Souls; and new store items, like Wilderness Slayer boosts and new Armor Appearance Kits! The last really big change is the introduction of DDO’s all new crafting system. In fact, crafting is so big, that we are taking a different approach with it. Of course we want crafting to be rewarding and fun, but we also recognize that by introducing it we are going to be fundamentally altering the balance of DDO’s in-game economy. So we are going to be rolling crafting out over time as a Live Beta that kicks off with Update 9. We will be incrementally releasing more crafting levels and recipes through Update 9 and Update 10 and asking for your feedback to make the system better. If you want to give it a try look for the new Crafting Hall in House Kundarak after patch day. You will get to keep your crafting experience and items during this beta – but keep in mind that the system will be changing as we go. Look for more information and guides coming to our websites (including French and German versions too)! You can also visit the forums to chat with other players and developers about all the crafting excitement by clicking here!

Looking a little further out we also have some exciting developments in the city of Stormreach. For the first time we will be able to access the enclave of one of Eberron’s most magically advanced Dragonmarked Houses: House Cannith! For those that don’t know, the Artificers of house Cannith are responsible for harnessing mysterious and ancient technology and using it to build and power much of Eberron’s modern society.  You can bet the House Cannith enclave will be like no other and showcase their technological prowess. House Cannith is also responsible for the creation of the Warforged and we are working on a great new adventure pack which will show you some of this history. By popular request it will also include a new wilderness and raid for characters at the level cap!

Many of you have heard me talking about a new kind of content coming to DDO. DDO’s new Challenge quests will make their formal debut later this year providing players with some unique new ways to play DDO. The Crystal Cove challenge from our 5th Birthday event is one example of a “challenge quest,” but we are working on some other types of challenges with very different types of game play as well. Challenge quests will all have some things in common: they can be completed in a fixed time window, they offer support to a broad range of player levels, they are meant to be repeatable, and they will let you track your high score and reward your progress. One way to think about the Challenges would be as the perfect thing to do to kill a few minutes while waiting for your buddies to log on for the night. But also sometimes you may want to make a whole night out of maximizing your Challenge scores for either rewards or bragging rights. We will endeavor to make challenges rewarding to play and they will offer unique treasure rewards, XP, favor and guild renown to players of all levels. I look forward to sharing more details as we get closer to release!

I would like to thank everyone that submitted questions for this letter. I hope I have covered most of those topics above. The two specific questions that we received most often that I have not yet addressed related to when we will see the Druids or when we may see a level cap increase beyond level 20 and into Epic levels. I can confirm that we have made great headway in our work on these highly requested features, although at this point it looks unlikely we’ll get these out in 2011. I know! I want them too.  Despite that, I still wanted to let you know that there will be a new class in 2011 that we’ll talk about later on, so stay tuned!

As I said earlier, we are working on some really exciting plans for DDO for 2011 and beyond. Look for some new announcements coming this summer where we hope to release even more details. In the meantime, I hope you found some fun stuff to look forward to and that you have a great time playing Update 9!

I’ll see you all in Eberron!

-Fernando.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: 2011 State of the Game
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
he's making his sorc a fire savant?

GIMP

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
... and my Vault plug in the official thread has become Cube food.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
That was a pretty weak State of the Game.  All I got out of it was a couple new quests, a new raid, a new class (not druids), and new quest difficulty settings.  Meh.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Wow.  More Druid delays.  Not till 2012.  And it looks like another class is going to beat them to production.  Artificer maybe? 

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:36pm:
Wow.  More Druid delays.  Not till 2012.  And it looks like another class is going to beat them to production.  Artificer maybe? 

Could be wrong, but I thought it was psionicist?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Could be wrong, but I thought it was psionicist?

That would at least be somewhat cool.  I guess with all the Xoriat stuff that would make sense.  I was seeing the Cannith stuff though and the new crafting thinking a different direction.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:39pm:
That would at least be somewhat cool.  I guess with all the Xoriat stuff that would make sense.  I was seeing the Cannith stuff though and the new crafting thinking a different direction.

Gotcha.  I can't remember where I hear psionicist brought up, but I thought it would be a great addition.  I think there's also been talk of kalashtar?  Psionicist would fit so seamlessly with the spell points - I had a lot of fun with my p&p scion, she blasted the shit out of everything.  Including my hubby.  Grin

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Gotcha.  I can't remember where I hear psionicist brought up, but I thought it would be a great addition.  I think there's also been talk of kalashtar?  Psionicist would fit so seamlessly with the spell points - I had a lot of fun with my p&p scion, she blasted the shit out of everything.  Including my hubby.  Grin

Psionicist , am up in the Turbine leaks and rumors thread.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Coldflame
Korthos Resident

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
My reduction of Fernando's letter:

"hai guys, I'm gonna write 4-5 paragraphs about things you already know and those questions that got asked less frequently fu*k'em? Who wants to read about good but unpopular questions amirte? So yeah really exciting stuffs"

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Rampant speculation or gospel truth?  You be the judge!

Fernando posted his State of the Game letter today.  In that letter, he mentioned that there will probably not be a Druid class in 2011 ( Sad ).  There is an exciting! new! class! coming soon(tm), however.  No official word on what that class is.

I've heard rumors that Psionicist will be the next class in DDO and I mentioned that in the State of the Game thread.  That post was deleted.  I saw 5 other posts that mention Psionicist deleted.  None of the posts that speculated about other potential classes were deleted.

Rampant paranoia?  Perhaps.
Wild conspiracy theory?  Perhaps.
I'll still give even odds on a Large Scale that Psionicist is the next class planned for release in DDO.

fnord

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
They're really not very bright, are they?

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Zippo
Hooters

Ooooh what's this button
do?

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:13pm:
Those that prefer the insanity dialed up to 11

When I read that the only thing I could think of was Spinal Tap

IP Logged

Zippo
Hooters

Ooooh what's this button
do?

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:51pm:

Fernando posted his State of the Game letter today.  In that letter, he mentioned that there will probably not be a Druid class in 2011 ( Sad ).  There is an exciting! new! class! coming soon(tm), however.  No official word on what that class is.

I've heard rumors that Psionicist will be the next class in DDO and I mentioned that in the State of the Game thread.  That post was deleted.  I saw 5 other posts that mention Psionicist deleted.  None of the posts that speculated about other potential classes were deleted.

I'll still give even odds on a Large Scale that Psionicist is the next class planned for release in DDO.

Either that or some Psionicist has REALLY pissed them off.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:51pm:

They haven't gotten my post yet:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3740341&postcount=8

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Almostelvis
Korthos Resident

Khyber Elvis!

Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Fernando has these comments later in the "Address"

Hey everyone-

Just wanted to jump on and address a few points that have come up in the thread.

One question I know many are asking is why Druids are not the next class that will come to DDO. It is true they have been a long time coming. We know you want them! And we want to add them to the game but we want the class to be done right so we are taking the time to be able to do that. As mentioned above the issue comes down to engine technology needed for shape-shifting into different natural forms. I can confirm that this technology is coming to our engine this year, but it was delayed and it is still a few months out so we can’t bank on it or we risk not getting a new class out this year at all!

As far as speculation about the new class, although I can’t divulge too many details, I can say that this class will be a pretty big addition to the game! In terms of new functionality created for it, this is a lot closer in size to Monk than to Favored Soul. It is a big undertaking for us and will include some unique abilities that we think you will enjoy.

On the topic of more Epic quests, it isn’t that we don’t ever intend to do these again. Creating Epics takes more work than you might think and we’ve received a lot of feedback that the current version is not appealing enough to many of our players. Since we know the system is in flux, and we are currently focused on developing adventure packs which are playable for level 20 characters, we are not currently giving Epic a lot of focus. Our content this year is pretty much increasing in level as we go, so once we get the level 20 House Cannith content further underway, it will be time to start thinking about more Epics.

Finally, to touch on a couple comments on U9 stuff, I won’t dive into the details but I will make a few general points: We try to add things for as many types of players as we can, and not all of our players share the same goals or playstyles. If you see something you don’t like, by all means tell us, but keep in mind that very often other players with conflicting playstyles, and we have to regard everybody’s feedback. I also wanted to mention that the team (myself included) spends a lot of time reading and discussing feedback threads around the studio. Just because we can’t always participate in the conversations or address all points with build changes right away doesn’t mean we aren’t taking in the feedback. So, for example, I remain very optimistic about Crafting even though I know where the system still need tweaks to be better.

I’ll try to check in a few more times in the next few days to post more if possible. Only 6 more days until U9! I can’t wait!

Cheers,
-Fernando.

PS Of course I’m always excited … how can a person who gets to work on this game all day not be?
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm by Almostelvis »  

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I found Tolero's reply to my comment about feedback funny.

How many threads can you find complaining that epic is too hard?
How many are about epic being awesome? (that don't get turned into a flamefest by the ones who think its too hard)
How many positive things are said about ANYTHING in game?

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Zippo
Hooters

Ooooh what's this button
do?

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:05pm:

Quote:
Also, my money for the new class is Psions.

See the problem is you didn't phrase your answer in the form of a question or you didn't say exactly Psionics.  Ehh who knows.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #18 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:13pm:
a level cap increase beyond level 20 and into Epic levels.

Do not want.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Almostelvis wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm:
we are not currently giving Epic a lot of focus.

more level 20 quests. good.

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #20 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:43pm:
Do not want.

I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of thing as an alternate enhancement system or some kind, so you can continue to improve your character after 20 without necessarily 'levelling'.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #21 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:46pm:
I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of thing as an alternate enhancement system or some kind, so you can continue to improve your character after 20 without necessarily 'levelling'.

i don't want because i know they are going to fuck it up somehow.

IP Logged

Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Almostelvis wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm:
we’ve received a lot of feedback that the current version is not appealing enough to many of our players. Since we know the system is in flux, and we are currently focused on developing adventure packs which are playable for level 20 characters, we are not currently giving Epic a lot of focus.

It is rather comforting to know that at least they are listening to the end game players. I have always criticized the epic system because it is a simple rehash of old content. Stuff like The Chronoscope could have been a good chance to build level 20-exclusive content but as usual they maximize the mileage out of their scripts.

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Can someone help me out. It's been awhile sense I've played PnP, but how are Psions different than the SP arcanes we have now?

If the new class is psionic in nature I think I'd prefer a Psychic Warrior. C'mon a bunch of bonus feats and level ~6 spells?

And I thought the 'state of the game' address was pretty weak. Like Turbine knows U9 has to prove it's worth when it goes live. That's what crafting is now a live beta and items, pre's, and spells previewed on the preview server arn't going to make it to live as they are.

This, to me, came off more as an apology and big gfy from Turbine. Trying to design content for everyone thinking that anyone would want to spend months grinding so they can make a btc weapon they could have bought if they spent that time questing. Not that they'd still need the then random generated and unbound item months later. Unless they wern't questing and have held at lvl6 while they craft, only questing to get more random crap for mats.

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

Coldflame
Korthos Resident

Reply #24 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:56pm:
i don't want because i know they are going to fuck it up somehow.

Indeed. If really good PnP DMs mess it (so-called Epic levels) up with a group of 4 peeps or so with so many few variables than an MMO has, let alone Turbine that has quite the record screwing things up beyond belief. In DDO I prefer the "you hit 20 can either grind the Epics or roll a TR" method that having yet another larger-than-life grind added to the game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint