Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Argo economy ruined (Read 51908 times)
blackwolfe
Waterworks Kobold

I like pie!!

Re: Argo economy ruined
Reply #125 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Ok, i'll admit it:

I bug reported this exploit after accidentally discovering it on llama, with a buch of others who were discussing it and possible permutations of it while in party.

Insert standard Turbine, "blah blah blah...thank you for your report"

Update goes live, I log in check to see, and yes the exploit is still there, immedately bug report it

nothing happens, no hotfix.  Word spreads and the exploit exploded. 

so in conclusion: Someone at Turbine was told at least twice, and the second time I put how wide spread the exploit was about to become

So they got what they deserved. Which only really affects Turbines sale of +3 tomes and mana pots in the store for a little while.  That's the complete effect on the company itself and that is all they care about.

"screw the game, how much is the DDO store pulling in? Kewl, I guess I get my bonus this month"

Stay thirsty my friends, and rememeber screw PLA....AOK is OK

Blackwolfe / Blaack / Blaacker / Blaacksong / Blaackfoot / Blaackfeet / Blackjaack / Blaacklisted / RifffRafff

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #126 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
blackwolfe wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:07pm:
Ok, i'll admit it:

I bug reported this exploit after accidentally discovering it on llama, with a buch of others who were discussing it and possible permutations of it while in party.

Update goes live, I log in check to see, and yes the exploit is still there, immedately bug report it

so in conclusion: Someone at Turbine was told at least twice, and the second time I put how wide spread the exploit was about to become

So they got what they deserved. Which only really affects Turbines sale of +3 tomes and mana pots in the store for a little while.  That's the complete effect on the company itself and that is all they care about.

"screw the game, how much is the DDO store pulling in? Kewl, I guess I get my bonus this month"

I don't think they get around to reading those very often. If you want action taken I would PM the thing directly to a few of the active devs (not community reps) on the forum.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #127 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Ok, i'll admit it:

The effect on the game economy can be much more unpredictable and could end up hurting other gamers in unexpected ways.

As for the devs I have to agree that you're right on this part.  When someone points out a duping bug not once, but twice, and you ignore it...whatever headache comes out of that was brought on yourself.  I don't feel bad for the devs in this case at all...or more accurately I don't feel bad for Turbine.  I doubt it's the dev's fault tbh...it's the piss poor piece of shit organizational system in which dev's at Turbine can be shocked at bugs that have been bug reported for months or even years.  I think Turbine has some great dev's but their organizational structure when it comes to disseminating information within the company is a piece of shit.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #128 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
One point to be made clear. The 'Dev's" are not at fault, who ever signed off on release is at fault... this person(s) are not the dev's they may be the lead developer and the QA lead and the Exec Producer but ulitmately its the exec producer who a) didnt listen to his QA guy and didnt make his Lead dev fix the problem or b) Didnt make sure his QA team report/fix all the bugs submitted. Things like this happen to Turbine because they continually use the community to find their coding errors and even when those errors are reported they dont fix them in time. Its the same few exploits redone over the years... dupping, safespots/geography and toggles... all they have to do is check those things on every update and they will catch the majority of "beneficial" bugs in the game. If its a new mechanic and they apply tests for those 3 areas people will continue to find out the flaws and whiners will complain about morality in a PVE game.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #129 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Oh and btw the Argo economy looks to have pretty much recovered Cool

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #130 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:56pm:
Oh and btw the Argo economy looks to have pretty much recovered Cool

That' the funniest part.  The people who didn't understand that the reason people were selling 1.5 million plat scales was because people were buying them because they had no place else to put the plat.  Once, they couldn't create plat from tin air the price will immediately fall. It's simple economics.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #131 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 5:00pm:
That' the funniest part.  The people who didn't understand that the reason people were selling 1.5 million plat scales was because people were buying them because they had no place else to put the plat.  Once, they couldn't create plat from tin air the price will immediately fall. It's simple economics.

Too simple for some people I'm afraid.

As I posted elsewhere, LDS are already back down to 450k on the AH on Sarlona. Besides I fully believe there are enough people with enough plat to crash the economy of any one of the servers at any time. They choose not to because they don't need to.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #132 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Ok, i'll admit it:

Quick question. Is posting these Lamma exploits on the forums just as discouraged as posting live exploits? I'd think it would've gotten more attention if Turbine knew that half of its client base would use the exploit the second it went live.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #133 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quick question. Is posting these Lamma exploits on the forums just as discouraged as posting live exploits? I'd think it would've gotten more attention if Turbine knew that half of its client base would use the exploit the second it went live.

Posting exploits on Llamaland forums when the exploit is on Llama is just as infractionizing as posting them when they're live.  PM or bug report is the only acceptable way to report them according to Turbine.

fnord

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #134 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 6:49pm:
Posting exploits on Llamaland forums when the exploit is on Llama is just as infractionizing as posting them when they're live.  PM or bug report is the only acceptable way to report them according to Turbine.

So. Posting an exploit that:
1. Has no impact on the actual game
2. Could do serious damage if it makes it to live
3. Might not get blocked (and in this case, won't) if it ISN'T given public attention
Is bad. I suppose this makes sense, since the PM I got from cordovan after my infraction read
Quote:
It teaches others how to look for exploits in the future. Providing information on how to exploit our game systems, even when fixed, has been proven in the past to help others find out how to exploit in the future.

Yes! Teaching people how to hunt bugs is EVIL!

IP Logged

blackwolfe
Waterworks Kobold

I like pie!!

Reply #135 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Just for clarification.

I reported the exploit using the in-game bug reporting tool, when it went live on Argo

I cannot remember if I used the in-game tool on llama or just PM'd it to the person posting in the llama Dev tracker forum.

Either way, if you're told that a horrendous exploit exists and you let it go to live when it apparently could be fixed easily, you are just at fault as the mad-clickers that use it.

In reality, these exploits and bugs could be found/fixed if they just let some GOOD players into the Mournlands and not just yes-men/women.  In addition, they really need to look at what their play testers, both Mournlands and Llamland, say and take action based on that input.

AOK is OK

Blackwolfe / Blaack / Blaacker / Blaacksong / Blaackfoot / Blaackfeet / Blackjaack / Blaacklisted / RifffRafff

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #136 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
blackwolfe wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 9:20pm:
I reported the exploit using the in-game bug reporting tool, when it went live on Argo

The bug reporting tool is still bugged. using it results in no action.
I distinctly remember talking to maj a few weeks ago about reporting an exploit. I asked if I could use the bug reporting tool and was told to use PM's.(BTW that exploit took 2 weeks and a couple PM's to address since the first attempt at fixing it wasnt complete)

LOL @ the irony of a bugged bug reporting tool.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #137 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:29am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:26pm:
The bug reporting tool is still bugged. using it results in no action.
I distinctly remember talking to maj a few weeks ago about reporting an exploit. I asked if I could use the bug reporting tool and was told to use PM's.(BTW that exploit took 2 weeks and a couple PM's to address since the first attempt at fixing it wasnt complete)

when they start paying me to report bugs, I will report them... that and when my account is allowed to submit reports, which it currently isnt.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #138 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:26am
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:29am:
when they start paying me to report bugs, I will report them... that and when my account is allowed to submit reports, which it currently isnt.

The only bugs I report are when the fucking GMs don't respond to my tickets.  If they cannot get that one straight, why the fuck would I want them doing something that actually involves interacting with the game code?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #139 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
So. Posting an exploit that:
1. Has no impact on the actual game
2. Could do serious damage if it makes it to live
3. Might not get blocked (and in this case, won't) if it ISN'T given public attention
Is bad. I suppose this makes sense, since the PM I got from cordovan after my infraction read

Yes! Teaching people how to hunt bugs is EVIL!

The biggest problem that Turbine has with posting how-to instructions on exploits that have been killed is that their regression testing sucks some serious ass and dead bugs repeatedly rear their ugly heads to plague the servers anew.

If you find out about an exploit once, there's a good chance you'll be able to do the same exploit (or a very similar one) in the future.

fnord

IP Logged

strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Reply #140 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:26pm:

Cheesy

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #141 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:20am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:36am:
The biggest problem that Turbine has with posting how-to instructions on exploits that have been killed is that their regression testing sucks some serious ass and dead bugs repeatedly rear their ugly heads to plague the servers anew.

If you find out about an exploit once, there's a good chance you'll be able to do the same exploit (or a very similar one) in the future.

It's a combination of...

1) Too much turnover
2) Not enough documentation and planning
3) Not enough automated scripted testing

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #142 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:20am:
It's a combination of...

1) Too much turnover

So in simple terms, one that Stainer can understand, you're trying to say that Turbine is fucked up.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #143 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 10:26am:
So in simple terms, one that Stainer can understand, you're trying to say that Turbine is fucked up.

You could say that.  I think 404 and Maj are making strides to fix it but I'm also concerned that those above them just don't get it.   The list of inconsistent stupid shit is a mile long...

Why do some chests not drop crafting materials?
Why is there no renown in the new challenges?
Why the constant BTC mats and etc.?
Why is my inventory filled with challenge items that don't have a bag?

...etc, so many half finished and unfinished systems.

Quote:

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #144 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I personally love that they have claimed to remove weight from ingredients but actually haven't. They've just taken the weight counter off the description. At least certainly for the Cannith alchemical stuff and dragonshards Cheesy

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #145 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 10:36am:
You could say that.  I think 404 and Maj are making strides to fix it but I'm also concerned that those above them just don't get it.   The list of inconsistent stupid shit is a mile long...

Why do some chests not drop crafting materials?
Why is there no renown in the new challenges?
Why the constant BTC mats and etc.?
Why is my inventory filled with challenge items that don't have a bag?

...etc, so many half finished and unfinished systems.

100% agreed here.

I absolutely don't blame the devs.  I absolutely don't blame QA.  I blame the chuckleheads who are trying to make the Devs and QA roll out stuff to live before it's ready with too few resources and without putting together a good release management system.

fnord

IP Logged

Montrose
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #146 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:20am:
It's a combination of...

1) Too much turnover

Especially point #3.  I've been on some Test-related threads with Maj and his responses indicate that he really isn't into automation.

My credentials are in software testing (I'm a senior test lead at a "very large" software company) and I have synpathy with his situation, but automation does have a place.  Particularly in 6-year-old code bases that are prone to regressions.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #147 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Montrose wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:07pm:
Especially point #3.  I've been on some Test-related threads with Maj and his responses indicate that he really isn't into automation.

My credentials are in software testing (I'm a senior test lead at a "very large" software company) and I have synpathy with his situation, but automation does have a place.  Particularly in 6-year-old code bases that are prone to regressions.

They are also nice because they essentially extend the number of man hours you have for tests.  Run them after hours and you can effectively create time out of thin air.

Quote:

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #148 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
You know what you can create out of thin air?

Well, the answer was plat.  And tomes.  And major mnemonics.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #149 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:31pm:
You know what you can create out of thin air?

Well, the answer was plat.  And tomes.  And major mnemonics.

And Banishers, Disruptors and Smiters!

I heard about this guy who got an ML 20 +1 Banishing of Stunning +10 handwraps from a supply chest.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 4:46pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint