Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Downtime postponed to thursday (Read 49460 times)
JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Re: Downtime postponed to thursday
Reply #75 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:52am
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:10am:
Like when I brought up that time your wife and I got it on? That was amazing. (Her words not mine.)

FTFY

Could you be more specific?

Also, if you think a silkey ashes reference matters it really doesn't. But I actually think you should pursue that further. Reach out with your "ninja" skills.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #76 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 3:31am
Print Post  
[QUOTE=Cordovan;4892824]Greetings! While we are continuing to work on our maintenance effort, it is clear that additional time will be needed beyond our earlier-announced 6:00 AM Eastern window. At this time there is no ETA on when the game servers will reopen, but we will endeavor to provide more information as soon as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience! [/quote]

Officially indefinite

Apologies for being off topic, you may resume hating each other.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Lost_Leader
Korthos Resident

I Love Whiskey!

Reply #77 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:29am
Print Post  

I don't get drunk . . . just less sober!

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #78 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Sometimes I really feel out of the loop being from sarlona.

I think I'll just go back to mounting my Raspberry pi inside my old gameboy.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #79 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:36am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 3:31am:
Officially indefinite

Apologies for being off topic, you may resume hating each other.

*rolleyes* *sigh*

Seems IT needs to learn a few things from Telco...
24H ( and more ) downtime for an upgrade is just not even thinkable in Telco.
If it Has to Happen, things are planned so that a temporary solution is put in place for the service to be usable while the downtime occurs.

Oh and when we say it takes from Friday 6PM to monday 7AM to do a fucking upgrade we keep our times, even if we find that we missed half the data during the upgrade the Sunday at 5PM...
( it was an allnighter : me to extract the missing data from the database of the 'temporary solution', a colleague to do some happy coding to format the data the right way and insert them in the upgraded system database, and a third colleague to keep the customer happy by assuring him ( every half hour ) that yes we were going to be on time... at 6AM we had finished and at 7AM the traffic was back on the upgraded system. )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #80 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:30am
Print Post  
so down time continues, classic turbine  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:30am by JDollar »  

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #81 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:36am:
*rolleyes* *sigh*

Seems IT needs to learn a few things from Telco...
24H ( and more ) downtime for an upgrade is just not even thinkable in Telco.
If it Has to Happen, things are planned so that a temporary solution is put in place for the service to be usable while the downtime occurs.

It's far from the norm in IT either Turbine is just special.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:17am
Print Post  
99.99999% of this down time is client side.  Fix your fucking rigs.  I'm playing just fine with my rig!
[/Lag Truthers]

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:19am
Print Post  
In the 20 years of managing computer systems, I can't for the life of me recall a planned customer downtime longer than a few hours.  If you want to be successful in IT, the first thing you do is learn how the business makes money and stay out of their way. Otherwise you'll find yourself outsourced to an organization that understands SLAs.  24+ hour downtime in any online business is inconceivable.

Telco is it's own beast with five nines uptime. There's all sorts of liability issues if grandma picks up her phone to dial 911 and then dies when she can't get through.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:22am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #84 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:10am:
Like when I brought up that time your wife and I got it on? That was amazing. (Her words not mine.)

I figured you would be more concerned with your little chillens future sad lives. The statistical evidence doesn't line up well for them. As a person that works in the social services field I can attest to that first hand. I don't think you will get that kind of feedback from your current partner, as it is well established she is pretty self centered. You continue to look for ways to justify what you have done. I am here for you.

I suppose you will want to continue judging others with the harsh glare of sunlight that would cause you to wither. As of now, I am confident you have no credibility.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #85 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:19am:
In the 20 years of managing computer systems, I can't for the life of me recall a planned customer downtime longer than a few hours. 

Not only that but missing the planned target and constantly overrunning your downtime estimates would get you a quick boot to the curb as well.  I'm not surprised it's very clear that there hasn't been accountability at Turbine in a long time.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #86 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:40pm:
Inb4 PLA is OK

BTW Blank, this made me laugh pretty hard.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #87 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:13am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:17am:
99.99999% of this down time is client side.  Fix your fucking rigs.  I'm playing just fine with my rig!
[/Lag Truthers]

ohhhhhhhmmmm.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #88 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:13am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:01am:
You continue to look for ways to justify what you have done.

What did I do again? I believe you are still confused. I'm not surprised.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #89 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:06am:
Not only that but missing the planned target and constantly overrunning your downtime estimates would get you a quick boot to the curb as well.  I'm not surprised it's very clear that there hasn't been accountability at Turbine in a long time.

Not someone that drops new software into a production environment, but it seems to me that this possibly wasn't tested well if it is taking this long to configure.

I could see moving datacenters, or even installing new hardware as possibly taking this long, but even then I would run parallel systems for a bit, and move the live data to the new production when everything looked good.

Am I missing something?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #90 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:23am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:14am:
Not someone that drops new software into a production environment, but it seems to me that this possibly wasn't tested well if it is taking this long to configure.

That would be my guess.  Any time I've flipped a system?  I've done it at least 3 times in the lab possibly more depending on how comfortable I feel. Before I hit the lab I spend hours pouring over the docs and forums, anything I can get my hands on...

stainer wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:14am:
run parallel systems for a bit, and move the live data to the new production when everything looked good.

Agreed.

No, you aren't missing anything other than typical Turbine incompetence.  Standard billing system maintenance doesn't take 24 hours.  Shit, I cannot imagine anything that would take 24 hours.  Even a complete database restore should take less than that.

Oh, an it's Friday and I'm bored so could you crush Kmack to entertain me.  I'll send you some gifts in SWTOR to pay you back.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:24am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #91 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:17am:
[/Lag Truthers]

[enters Karatekid] /Lag debate kumatai on!

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #92 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:26am
Print Post  
We are moving our company from the old GP Dynamics to the newer version. We have two systems up and are testing the end of year financials on both. If our hosting had us down for 4 hrs, much less 24hrs, I would fire them.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Reply #93 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:28am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:13am:
ohhhhhhhmmmm.

It is probably just an inferior Mac thing...  /ducks

One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #94 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:32am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:26am:
We are moving our company from the old GP Dynamics to the newer version. We have two systems up and are testing the end of year financials on both. If our hosting had us down for 4 hrs, much less 24hrs, I would fire them.

Yeah, I used to swap out control systems at the Brewery and our windows were generally the mechanical windows as well.  As in, maintenance will be doing XYZ and that will take 2 hours your shit best be up and running when they are done.  No man can stop the flow of beer.

Dynamics...shudder...ERP systems are a pain in the balls to upgrade especially if you fell behind a bunch of revisions.  Been there...
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:39am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #95 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I know people have no recourse to extended downtime, but you think they are going to compensate people?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #96 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:34am:
I know people have no recourse to extended downtime, but you think they are going to compensate people?

No doubt...  they'll give everyone some free XP and a meaningless loot boost.  Bread and Circus...

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #97 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  

Other than bonus XP weekend or something?   No.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #98 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Sure they are! We're gonna be compensated with new and improved lag that we missed out on having in the last day.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Reply #99 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 9:41am
Print Post  

I'm thinking some kind of bonus weekend or something...  We're sorry you had a fly in your soup.  Please have a free piece of pie...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Send TopicPrint