Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stealth and AI changes (Read 5619 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Stealth and AI changes
Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Okay, who stuck the sodium pentothal into the Turbine water cooler?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/419210-AI-Awareness!#post5028499

This type of posting from Turbine game system developers is long overdue. Kudos if they deliver on it instead of dumping yet another half-finished system on us.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Stealth and AI changes
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Shared my thoughts already.

It will end up breaking six unrelated things. It will remain uncompleted.

Who even gives a shit about stealth anyway? As long as invis works as it does now, stealth can EAD. I only stealth to assassinate. And jump -> stealth -> assassinate -> tumble out of stealth works like a fucking champ. As long as I don't have aggro I can assassinate just fine in the middle of a shitstorm.

Thanks for giving us shit that nobody cares about. That's really awesome of you.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Stealth getting broken again? Just what I always wanted.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
(warning - part-time flower sniffer here)

I can't say that I fully agree with your comment over on the other forums, rest. I'd like to have sneaking become a viable option. Too bad that in the past year or so, some recent stealth-friendly quests got changed back to pure hack'n'slash by requiring a certain number of kills. I can't remember which ones were affected, but the ability to do more quests without a single kill would be nice.

As for crafting, probably different people involved, so no point in railing about allocation of resources. The state of crafting should be laid at the feet of the producers and managers, not the devs.

It looks like he's trying to untangle the feather_of_sun'ed, crufty mess of inconsistency that has built up over the years in the game engine. If so, that could be a really good thing even for people who rarely use stealth.

Of course, it all depends on the delivery. It would be nice if Turbine had a better track record on completing things. Makes it kind of hard to cheer the guy on and give him some encouragement.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Stealth in the beginning days of DDO was a viable option to complete quests for flowersniffers. Now not so much. If they can unbreak what they broke to make stealth not so much an option without invisibility I'm all for it.

I'm looking at Stealthy Repossession as an example of this. We used to be able to stealth it without invis.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:27pm:

I suspect some QA Kobolds, they probably replaced the coffee in the coffee machine by some kind of ground mushrooms.

( as we all know that everything in DDO is related to mushrooms one way or another, even doors )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
I'm not a big stealth fan.  I used to be, but, as stated above it became less viable as a game play option over time.  That coupled with how long it takes made it seem meh.  But, I had a lot of fun seeing how far I could get with a solo rogue back in the day.

Regardless of whether you like stealth or not, the fact taht they are communicating like this is awesome!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
The problem in Stealthy repos is the fact that Stealth is feather_of_sun'ed when you trigger doors... and you then aggro all the kobolds in range.

If he can make it so that we can break aggro when we go stealthy then I'm all for it.

I had built my virtuoso bard around the fact that with stealth she could go right in front of the mob and charm them... but it's not viable as things are... maybe it will become viable.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I never liked how DDO characters would lose stealth when opening doors or pulling levers. I'd be happier if there was a roll on it at least.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I would really like to give a crap aabout stealth.  I want stealth to be a viable option for characters who are good at stealth (through whatever metthod).  Since Turbine killed stealth in many of their quests in an effort to stop zerging (and it didn't work), any changes to stealth don't matter except in how they fuck over Rogues who are trying to assassinate.

Maybe if you could open doors while stealthed and keep the stealth.  No way that's going to happen, though.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I'll note that I do like that dev's ambitions.  I just don't know that it will make much difference outside of potential performance isssues unless some of the quest design is changed.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:02am
Print Post  
well if at least he managed to get the Earth Ellies to stop hitting you from the other end of the map when they have aggro, I'm for it.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:39am
Print Post  
I too am absolutely up for changes to stealth that make it worth bothering with.  It's my number one tactic in PnP, and something I never, ever bother with in DDO because it basically doesn't work.  There's no reason for pulling a lever or opening a door to break stealth or invis, and I'm entirely up for bigger "discretion" bonuses when successfully stealthing quests; for me, it'd add a new lease of life to old content to be able to play it a different way.

However, I would add that NoDice is wrong about one thing at least: scorpions absolutely should burrow straight in your direction unless you're standing still and doing nothing... they have tremorsense.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:59am
Print Post  
This DEV sounds intelligent.  It took him a  year to get comfortable in the code.  He understood how it was broken.

My only concern is what will be broken after a supposed fix is in place.  Some items he mentioned did not give me the warm fuzzies because of Turbine's past "feature enhancements because they certainly cannot be called bugs otherwise that would be admitting a failure."

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:39am:
However, I would add that NoDice is wrong about one thing at least: scorpions absolutely should burrow straight in your direction unless you're standing still and doing nothing... they have tremorsense.

If you have enough Move Silently, I'd like to see tremorsense go "blind".  It might need a lot more than normal to make that happen, but I'd still like to see it.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:13am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:02am:
If you have enough Move Silently, I'd like to see tremorsense go "blind".  It might need a lot more than normal to make that happen, but I'd still like to see it.

I'd be happy if wraith form prevented tremor sense checks.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
This IS turdbine...That dev will quit/get transferred before the changes actually WORK. Another half-assed broken thing.

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
This will make griefing afk people easier. Grab a bunch of aggro, bring it to them, sneak away.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:39am:

However, scorpions should not burrow through rock. That is the most annoying thing about them. It totally breaks immersion. Burrow through sand? Fine - implausible, but I can live with it. As soon as I step onto rock or another solid surface, the little buggers should be crawling above ground.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:15am:
This IS turdbine...That dev will quit/get transferred before the changes actually WORK. Another half-assed feather_of_sun'ed thing.

Well since two weeks ago they are trying very hard at changing the spots of the leopards, we can at least give them the benefit of the doubt.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

umeannothing
Stormreaver Piker

Wall building professional!

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jun 25th, 2013 at 3:27pm:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/419210-AI-Awareness!#post5028499

This type of posting from Turbine game system developers is long overdue. Kudos if they deliver on it instead of dumping yet another half-finished system on us.

The only reason he is saying anything is because the changes made it onto the lam database prematurely.

Now if warnings like this came out when other shit was put on lam that had the possibility of creating confusion if not explained, there may just be a whole lot less Lamannia rage posts.

Goddamnit seeing posts like that make me want to believe.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....Well I really thought you were going to change so shame on you. Fool me thrice shame on me.

MAGA!

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:46am:
Well since two weeks ago they are trying very hard at changing the spots of the leopards, we can at least give them the benefit of the doubt.  Roll Eyes

Like in 2010 with Artys and Cannith crafting? Handwraps? Driuds? WF? No.

I'm going to try this new game coming out soon called DDO. Every month or two, its like playing a new game :p

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:46am:

They get the benefit of the doubt. They get wallet access again if they keep it up a month after the expansion drops.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:02am:
well if at least he managed to get the Earth Ellies to stop hitting you from the other end of the map when they have aggro, I'm for it.

OG.  You just opened the window for them to re-enable the old "earthgrabbed from inside the quest when you're in house K" bug.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:12pm by Osharan Tregarth »  

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 2:58pm:
OG.  You just opened the window for them to re-enable the old "earthgrabbed from inside the quest when you're in house K" bug.

Or better yet the old Beholder beams of death hitting you in a tavern after recalling due to death by Beholder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint