Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Ok seriously, tell me why NW is better than DDO (Read 66434 times)
Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Ok seriously, tell me why NW is better than DDO
Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:30am
Print Post  
So, I'm thinking of checking it out. But, can I get some real info from people who have played it? What's better/significantly different?

Is DDO better in any way still?

I'm looking for real stuphs, not really the "because Feather of the Sun" snark.

Whatchu got?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Re: Ok seriously, tell me why NW is better than DDO
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:36am
Print Post  
It is worth checking out IMO. But they are 2 different games. DDO is niche with character builds. NWO is much more WOWish. NWO felt like an arcade game more than a MMO.

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
It's not. It's just different. Personally I'm not sure how much replayability I will find once I cap my first toon, although the Foundry is a pretty cool idea.

Having said that, it costs you absolutely nothing to check it out. I've not spent a penny and haven't found that a limiting factor yet. Sure I don't have a cat or a phoenix pet, but the content is still easily playable. Even if bosses solo on a Devoted Cleric involve all the bloody kiting in the world....

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
It reminded me a lot of Dragon Age.  It's much more console fantasy game than anything else.  The build options are just not there.  The play becomes very formulaic and rote.  It's fun for about a month or so, but it gets old quickly. 

The social/grouping system is pretty weak, which limits the social aspects, too. 

Given that it is free, it is worth a look, but I still find DDO more appealing.

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
It's not better

I capped a couple toons,  then lost interest as there was nothing to do.  It's exploit ridden far more than ddo,  and to make things worse I tried to log in a couple weeks ago and discovered my characters were gone,  not that I was banned just had empty toon slots.  Talking to cs,  I wasn't hacked, and while they didn't say it, if I wasn't hacked the only other option is that they lost data.  A very bad thing for an mmo.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
games good not great.  Ive capped my cleric and gotten a 9k GS, so running the TierII Epics currently.  The T2s are alot more fun the most of the other boss fights in the game, but in general the end game is lacking and small.

That said, ive had alot of fun with it, and only dropped $10 on it

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Another point is that the game is too easy.  You can cap in a matter of a few weeks, gear in a few more.  After that, the toon is basically done.  Just like in DDO pre-TR, at this point you are rolling a new character if you want to keep playing and have anything to do. 

With only 5 classes (3 of which are even fun at end game) and basically no build variation in each class, you run out of stuff to do pretty quick.  Since race has little to no impact on game play, they either have to release new classes, make the game tougher, or do something to extend the game play.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Well, it is like three weeks after going live in a F2P game.  Cant really compare that to a 7-10 year old game. 

They are releasing 2 new classes shortly (ranger and warlock), unlocking a race (drow, and maybe a new race), a 20v20 raid, Fury of the Feywild expansion, as well as a 'Campaign System' this summer. There as been talk about a new PvP mode.  Not to mention the 100s of new quests with the foundry.

IP Logged

White Knight
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
How's the combat?  Is it more active, like DDO, or click and wait, like WOW?

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
it's active sort of,  while you perform what ever attack animation you are doing you are rooted in place.  So sort of a hybrid

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
It's free, just download the crap and try the first 15 levels, it's all the same till you reach cap, pvp is full of bots and bosses all use the same mechanic which is adds, adds and more adds.

Oh in guantlegrym you just get a premade group and spawn camp the hell out of the other team.

DDO may be having problems lately but NW in no way deserves the DnD logo.

On the other hand if you liked daggerdale you may like NW.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:57pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Really, I wish they'd made it a console game instead of an MMO.  Scrap the fetch quests for some story focused missions.  Have a separate PVP system with Mass Effect 3 type leveling.  And, if the development budget allows, a henchman system which would allow hot swapping between bots and players for non-limiting co-op.

I'd gladly drop $60 on that and probably any DLC that comes down the pike.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:42am
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:04pm:
Well, it is like three weeks after going live in a F2P game.  Cant really compare that to a 7-10 year old game. 

Not to mention the 100s of new quests with the foundry.

You can compare: It is a totally different engine... unless they totally revamp it, they will remain different and no where near DnD. 

It isn't like DnD except in names and stories. You are limited to only a couple of actions that aren't DnD-like and you have a charge you can build up to do other actions.

With Foundry, you have a lot more dungeons - most scale to whatever level you currently are - but there are limits to what you can create since the objects are limited. The best thing would be story lines and the fact that you have more creative people doing dungeons and pumping them out.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:30am:
So, I'm thinking of checking it out. But, can I get some real info from people who have played it? What's better/significantly different?

Is DDO better in any way still?

I'm looking for real stuphs, not really the "because Feather of the Sun" snark.

Whatchu got?

All those that tell you that NW and DDO cant be compared are idiots. OF course they can, they are both computer games so fuck you. Ill give you a straight answer OP.
DDO is better than NW.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
They have both good and bad points, so you can't really compare the two.  The most fun part of NWO is probably casual PvP.  It's really easy to get into and it's not super competitive.  End-game PvP is broken though, being extremely gear dependent and full of exploits.  People take it way too seriously.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:56am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 21st, 2013 at 6:03pm:
People take it way too seriously. 

Well it's fucking PvP, it has to be taken seriously. We are talking about E-peen here.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 21st, 2013 at 6:03pm:
They have both good and bad points, so you can't really compare the two.  The most fun part of NWO is probably casual PvP.  It's really easy to get into and it's not super competitive.  End-game PvP is broken though, being extremely gear dependent and full of exploits.  People take it way too seriously. 

Casual pvp lol. Say rather its pve in the guise of pvp as more often than not you are fighting bots.

IP Logged

Penwick
Korthos Resident

DDO is dead.

Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I've capped 4 classes and all of the crafting professions.  Meh.  The PvP was fun when you could get up to the enemy team's spawn point.  The PVE was ok, but it gets stale quickly.  I enjoyed it, but it didn't hold my interest for more than a couple of months.

IP Logged

darkly_dreaming
Korthos Resident

Charles Darwin is my Hero.

Reply #18 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Played a couple months, took every class to level cap. The problem for me was that - by design - there's no replay value as you level. Even if you find something you think is interesting (like skirmishes) once you out-level it you're done.

At cap there's gear grinding, a few epic dungeons, and PVP. That's it. None of which really hold my interest.

YMMV

I didn't slap you, I high-fived your face.

IP Logged

DiddleDoo
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
It doesn't have ghostbane so it sucks.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:04am
Print Post  
The only good things about NW: the more recent graphics (capes Cheesy) and the possibility of user-made quests (not that user-made quests are good, but the possibility is cool).

I played NW from beta to 1 month after "open beta" (a.k.a release), getting to level 40 something. The game was very repetitive, no character customization, healers could barely heal themselves, much more P2W and money grab than DDO, lead feet combat ...

Not the DDO replacement I hoped. Very disappointing.

IP Logged

Onceler
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2013 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
NW is a decent game however it lacks content in a serious way. Very few dungeons to run and even less with relevant loot. If you like PVP in a D&D style it might have more replay value than it did for me.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Onceler wrote on Nov 30th, 2013 at 5:30pm:
NW is a decent game however it lacks content in a serious way. Very few dungeons to run and even less with relevant loot. If you like PVP in a D&D style it might have more replay value than it did for me.

Lack of content is something that NW was supposed to never suffer from with the Foundry.  I guess the idea that the developer could get the players to do their work for them (Design content) doesn't work.  Turns out, you still have to develop some content of your own.

DDO was released Feb 28th.  By Halloween (8 months later) they had released 3 major Modules with a raid each and 3 small modules with 3-6 quests each.

NW Online was released June 20th.  So far they have 1 release and 1 planned for December.  They still haven't released a new class (only 5 available). 

I stopped playing after 2 months, but it doesn't sound like it's getting any better.

IP Logged

The Pope
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
DiddleDoo wrote on Nov 4th, 2013 at 10:58am:
It doesn't have ghostbane so it sucks.

But does it have Ghost bane?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
They released a new class, a ranger - a ranged ranger with no option of twf. Basically, an abomination. I will only play again the day they release warlock. Until then, they can suck it.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint