Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) The New Pando (Read 57967 times)
iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: The New Pando
Reply #75 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 1:25pm:
Well I can give DDO-ML a spin to update I guess, if pyLOTRO doesn't work

By all means, store your account name and password on your machine in an unencrypted .xml file whose name is clearly known. 

I bet the xml looks like this:

Code
Select All
<user>
   <account>dumbass</account>
   <password>minenow</password>
</user>

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:41pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #76 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:38pm:
By all means, store your account name and password on your machine in an unencrypted .xml file whose name is clearly known. 

I bet the xml looks like this:

Code
Select All
<user>
   <account>dumbass</account>
   <password>minenow</password>
</user>

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will!

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #77 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:46pm:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will!

I appreciate the "concept" of the DDO-ML thing, but goddamn, fucking people need to think sometimes when they write code.  That's an elementary school-level security hole.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #78 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:50pm:
I appreciate the "concept" of the DDO-ML thing, but goddamn, fucking people need to think sometimes when they write code.  That's an elementary school-level security hole.

Well our French friend said that pyLOTRO updates fine so I don't have to worry about using DDO-ML.

win/win

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:09pm:
Well our French friend said that pyLOTRO updates fine so I don't have to worry about using DDO-ML.

win/win

The problem isn't whether it works.  It's the rank stupidity of storing account/pass combos in a plain text file anywhere, at anytime.  By the same token could also say Akami works.

Let's say this.  If I get into your machine long enough to put something on it which will scan your unencrypted files for terms like (which is not all that long):

pwd
pass
password
pw

Then send off any files containing those terms, how long before you think I own your account?

A lot of things "work" assuming everyone plays nice.  That's not the way the world is, however.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #80 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:33pm:
The problem isn't whether it works.  It's the rank stupidity of storing account/pass combos in a plain text file anywhere, at anytime.  By the same token could also say Akami works.

Let's say this.  If I get into your machine long enough to put something on it which will scan your unencrypted files for terms like (which is not all that long):

pwd
pass
password
pw

Then send off any files containing those terms, how long before you think I own your account?

A lot of things "work" assuming everyone plays nice.  That's not the way the world is, however.

Your post was relating specifically to DDO-ML; are you also concerned that pyLOTRO does this? I have to enter my password each time i fire up pyLOTRO - I don't believe it stores my password anywhere, plain text or otherwise. If it DOES, that's news to me. If it doesn't, you can fuck right off.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:41pm:
Your post was relating specifically to DDO-ML; are you also concerned that pyLOTRO does this? I have to enter my password each time i fire up pyLOTRO - I don't believe it stores my password anywhere, plain text or otherwise. If it DOES, that's news to me. If it doesn't, you can fuck right off.

If it doesn't then it's fine.  The instructions for DDO-ML clearly state you edit a .xml file to add your account/password.  They also weren't both written by the same person.  AtomicMew ripped pyLOTRO which wasn't created by them, to create DDO-ML.

ETA:  Considering AM just re-confirmed the instructions, my guess is they weren't smart enough to figure out how to exeucte it using a keyed password, so instead they picked the worst possible backup solution.  One can be afraid of p2p all they want, but if they're dumb enough to store passwords on disk unencrypted, p2p is the least of their problems.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:59pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Crell
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
The Mithgar post was deleted. Thanks for allowing me to recover it.

Now, if only I'd saved my multipart reply.

Lets see if my new attempt to response +Cordovan's claim to be willing to address the technical aspects, gets anywhere.

IP Logged

Crell
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Just a quick confirmation that Pylotro doesn't store your password unless you want it to.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 1:14pm:
I can't check because I'm at work, but does pyLOTRO also allow you to patch the game without using the launcher?

Yup, under tools there is a Patch option.  I updated mine and it seems to have worked fine.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 2:03pm:
So here's my conundrum: I have Pylotro it will patch but if I don't use the preloader due to DDO being on a old HD I won't be able to load in.

I'll get the same ole same ole problem with it hanging or taking forever on the 1st time logging in.

After the 1st time I can use Pylotro over & over again no problem to log in super quick.

Input/ideas/assistance? Thanks in advance!

PC is a 6 core AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 Ghz.

12GB DDR3 RAM. Windows 7 64 Ultimate. ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Broadband cable connection 25 down 2 up. 1 desktop pc with 1 cable modem no router.

I was having crash on load issues before.  I ran pylotro today and didn't have that problem.

(mine is not an old machine either).

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #86 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
The important thing the preloader is doing is loading the DDO gamefiles into RAM so DDO doesn't crash trying to read it off your slow-ass HDD. It then launches DDO, but that's not necessary. IIRC it includes source or is open source? If so, edit out the part that launches DDO and recompile. Or maybe you can just kill the preloader before it launches DDO, or kill DDO and relaunch with pylotro.

Also, way to cripple a decent machine by not installing a SSD.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:38pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #87 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
a Kitteh wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 11:07am:
anyone know yet if DDO-ML bypasses it?

I told my firewall to not allow akami access to the internet and I'm logging in to DDO just fine.  I use DDO-ML as my launcher.

Edit:  I'm lying in the text above.  I'm actually using DDO-preload and not DDO-ML.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/420738-How-to-make-the-game-loading-fa...
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:42pm by NOTpopejubal »  

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:34pm:
The important thing the preloader is doing is loading the DDO gamefiles into RAM so DDO doesn't crash trying to read it off your slow-ass HDD. It then launches DDO, but that's not necessary. IIRC it includes source or is open source? If so, edit out the part that launches DDO and recompile. Or maybe you can just kill the preloader before it launches DDO, or kill DDO and relaunch with pylotro.

Also, way to cripple a decent machine by not installing a SSD.

The PC is 3 years old. Again as I stated I DO NOT have the budget to afford an SSD currently/at the moment.

IF this post is referring to me. An SSD at the price I want it will be my next purchase. I am *very* patient with these things.

Anyways thanks for the tip on getting it to work. Have a nice day.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 4:33pm:

pwd
pass
password
pw

Do you realize how much of your info and passwords are sent over plain text?  Did you know that passwords stored in your browser are also stored as plain text

This isn't a program to make other people happy, it's a personal program to satisfy my own personal uses that made multiboxing, loading the client, managing awesomium etc. easier for me.  I don't have my password the same as my bank account password, and I don't have my CC info stored in my DDO accounts. 

That said, it isn't too hard to program in some basic encryption, so I will likely get around to it sometime.

IP Logged

Crell
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 5:54pm:
Do you realize how much of your info and passwords are sent over plain text?  Did you know that passwords stored in your browser are also stored as plain text

While we can't do anything about the password's transmission we can take steps to minimize keylogger effectiveness and other issues that plain-text storage of passwords can cause.

LastPass for the win!

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 6:56pm
Print Post  

This isn't a program to make other people happy, it's a personal program to satisfy my own personal uses that made multiboxing, loading the client, managing awesomium etc. easier for me.  I don't have my password the same as my bank account password, and I don't have my CC info stored in my DDO accounts. 

That said, it isn't too hard to program in some basic encryption, so I will likely get around to it sometime. 

Considering I've encrypted data for the healthcare industry, yes.  I wouldn't use any of the millions of flawed examples as an excuse to be lazy about password storage.  Your own account may be "insulated", but dumping software out there that encourages others who might not even realize the risk and some almost certainly have CC's tied to their accounts, is the equivalent of software malpractice (especially because you didn't post a caveat about that). 

I don't store personal data anywhere I don't have to.  I've been using browsers since mosaic, so yeah, I'm well aware of their flaws (put aside the fact no one should ever be "storing" a password in a browser).

Just because other idiots do it isn't an excuse to do it yourself.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2014 at 6:58pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #92 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Yea it wouldnt let me uninstall it at first.. think it was because i was on ddo.. then i restarted my comp and made pando stop running and then i was able to delete it.. gl to those that leave it on their comps..

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 6:56pm:
Considering I've encrypted data for the healthcare industry, yes.  I wouldn't use any of the millions of flawed examples as an excuse to be lazy about password storage.  Your own account may be "insulated", but dumping software out there that encourages others who might not even realize the risk and some almost certainly have CC's tied to their accounts, is the equivalent of software malpractice (especially because you didn't post a caveat about that). 

I don't store personal data anywhere I don't have to.  I've been using browsers since mosaic, so yeah, I'm well aware of their flaws (put aside the fact no one should ever be "storing" a password in a browser).

Just because other idiots do it isn't an excuse to do it yourself.  Roll Eyes

Fair enough ,I'll do some updating of the program and post soon.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #94 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:06pm
Print Post  

shhh, don't tell them, let them dream... They have no clue...

*glance at his On Call Handbook that lists ( written on paper, in clear ) all the fucking passwords to all the fucking backbone routers for all the fucking telecom operators in Froggy Land... and I know where to look for the same for all the other equipments that my employer sells*

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #95 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 2:17pm:
I would if I could afford one, Flav. 0 room in the budget right now.

You can use a flash drive. those are fast enough to mitigate the double login syndrome

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:28pm:
You can use a flash drive. those are fast enough to mitigate the double login syndrome

Actually it did work, I patched & was able to log in fine. However the *real* test will be after a reboot.

So whenever the next BSOD happens(usually after a month or 2 of having the pc run 24/7/365).

Then I will have to see if it will work. By that time hopefully I can afford an SSD.

Good tip on the flashdrive, wonder how long it would take to copy DDO over heh.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #97 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
After updating via pyLOTRO, it no longer loads DDO Sad

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:04pm:
Fair enough ,I'll do some updating of the program and post soon. 

Thanks.  I'd actually like to use it myself once that is changed.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #99 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:37pm:
Actually it did work, I patched & was able to log in fine. However the *real* test will be after a reboot.

So whenever the next BSOD happens(usually after a month or 2 of having the pc run 24/7/365).

Then I will have to see if it will work. By that time hopefully I can afford an SSD.

Good tip on the flashdrive, wonder how long it would take to copy DDO over heh.

How does this work? Do I just copy everything over and run from there, or do I have to install to the flashdrive?

Also, is using a flashdrive faster, or can I use a portable harddrive?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint