Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dungeons and Dragons license? (Read 11614 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: Dungeons and Dragons license?
Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 12:59pm:
OK, from an IP holder's perspective (not a fan's perspective), how is NWO worse? Aren't they like 20x the playerbase of DDO?

I mean, look at D&D4.0, it's not like WotC holds the spirit of D&D sacred, they worship the $ just like Turdbin.

We will see in 7 Years how NWO fares... You can't really compare a barely one year old game with a 8 year old one.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
We will see in 7 Years how NWO fares... You can't really compare a barely one year old game with a 8 year old one.

Isn't WoW 10 years old?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Neverwinter Online: http://nw.perfectworld.com/

Not World of Warcraft. Just saying. That's what Flav is saying. Cheers! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy!
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:22pm by TractorsareEpic »  

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:01pm:
Hmmmm, sounds an awful lot like what we're going through right now. The big question is will it happen at the end of this week or at the end of this this year.

You can't buy stat tomes, XP stones, quest teleports, or loot re-rolls in NWO, so I have a hard time believing anyone who tells me Cryptic is bleeding the fanbase harder.

You don't need to, leveling in NWO is bloody easy..lol  Bleeding the fan base..lockboxes, just that is the nail in the coffin, it's far worse than otto boxes or anything in ddo hands down.

Not that it doesn't suck, just that Turdbin/Cryptic is more kettle/pot than Angel/Demon.

No PW is far far worse and have proved it multiple times in multiple games.

What I'd really love is to see some independent company jump on the OGL d20 rules and make something like Path of Exile but with the ability to publish modules like NWO's Foundry.

Have you tried the foundry? It's pretty limited and shitty just like NWO is limited and shitty when it comes to builds...

With Pathfinder Online, Path of Exile, and the NWO Foundry, the pieces are all out there. I don't think I'll have too long to wait  Smiley

Waiting to see how pathfinder online will turn out and yes path of exile is fun, please don't insult those game by comparing them to NWO.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:39pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:56pm:

Whoa thar pardner. He was comparing financials and so is a fine comarision.

I have to admit that nwo is simple simon. ACK! I am wrong, even simple simon is harder then nwo.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #30 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:36pm:
Bleeding the fan base..lockboxes, just that is the nail in the coffin, it's far worse than otto boxes or anything in ddo hands down.

OK, well, I guess we're just going to disagree on that one, because in my mind a +5 Supreme Tome is WAY worse than anything that ever came out of a lockbox (all of which you can buy with currency you earn in game).

No PW is far far worse and have proved it multiple times in multiple games.

I haven't played any of their other games so I can't argue that one, but I'd be interested to hear some examples rather than a vague generalization.

Have you tried the foundry? It's pretty limited and shitty just like NWO is limited and shitty when it comes to builds...

It's getting a bit off my point, which was that from WotC's point of view NWO isn't a failure, but yes, I have, both as a player and as an author. While there is definitely room for improvement in both the tool and the quests, I think it is a great idea and one a smaller game company could really run with. Some of the quests are way better than some of the crap DDO has pushed out the door. I don't mean everything in DDO is crap, I love some of the DDO quests, but they aren't all better than all of the foundry quests. Which means a small company that harnessed the community's content development talents could compete at Turbine's level, especially the Turbine of today. And that's what I want to see.

But back to my point, how is NWO a failure in WotC's eyes? I get that a lot of serious fans dislike it, but the same can be said of D&D 4.0 and WotC pushed ahead with that.

So if WotC had to choose between licensing D&D to Turbine and Cryptic, what argument could you make to the stuffed suits in the boardroom to convince them Turbine was the better choice?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #31 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:51am
Print Post  
You don't need to, leveling in NWO is bloody easy..lol  Bleeding the fan base..lockboxes, just that is the nail in the coffin, it's far worse than otto boxes or anything in ddo hands down.

you can just bloody level offline crafting. I went from 30 to 42 on one char and from 50 to 55 on another just that way.... and I still have lots of crafting to develop.

Nothing has beaten Aurora Toolset yet. Since then all the adventure creation tools I've seen sucked big time. NWO one sucks too despite the fact that it could have had some potential.
His biggest suckage is the limitations/restrictions/whatever you want to call them. Oh and the time it takes to make a basic thing.
In Aurora, you could create a simple encounter adventure in a matter of minutes ( choose a landscape, choose some mob, drop the mob in the landscape, put in some fluff around, save and your set ), and you could fully customize said simple encounter if you were into that ( add trigger options, create a new kind of landscape, create a new kind of mob, ... ).

IP Logged

hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Ra wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:32am:
I heard a rumor that Turbine will lose it's license for the name this year. Are they shitting me, or is it true?

All mr google gave me was this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-337927.html?s=aef561457673b3cbc80...

I'm of course not going to read that whole thread.

Serious answer
When WotC/Hasbro settled their Lawsuit in 2012 against Atari and the rights to the IP were transferred back to WotC/Hasbro, Turbine and WotC/Hasbro signed a new agreement.   While Turbine will not comment on the length of the agreement its rumored/thought to be 10 years or in through 2021/22.

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #33 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
hyplo wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:15am:
Serious answer
When WotC/Hasbro settled their Lawsuit in 2012 against Atari and the rights to the IP were transferred back to WotC/Hasbro, Turbine and WotC/Hasbro signed a new agreement.   While Turbine will not comment on the length of the agreement its rumored/thought to be 10 years or in through 2021/22.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
hyplo wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:15am:
Serious answer

Another serious answer would be : As long as WoTC/Hasbro see fit.

If they want to pull the plug, they can pull it at any time, they'll just have to compensate Turbine for pulling the plug.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint