Poll
Poll closed Question: What is the real reason Turbine closed Mournlands and started the Player Council?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Tried everything they could to get Hendrik out of ML. Finally had to drop group and reform w/o him.    
  35 (33.3%)
Needed tax write-off. Server donated to Smithsonian's "Earliest Days of Computing" display.    
  2 (1.9%)
Free labor is free.    
  12 (11.4%)
Keeps Cordovag away from anything that could actually affect the game.    
  8 (7.6%)
Forums were getting boring and this adds delicious drama-butter just waiting for popcorn.    
  4 (3.8%)
Three words: Redshirts, redshirts, redshirts.    
  16 (15.2%)
Trolling looks so fun, Turbine thought they'd join in.    
  4 (3.8%)
Donuts - Flav promised to bring them to every meeting.    
  14 (13.3%)
To give some asshat something to make a poll about. DIAF asshat!    
  10 (9.5%)

Total votes: 105
« Created by: GooFY on: Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:12pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mournlands to Player Council - Why? (Read 7195 times)
GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Mournlands to Player Council - Why?
Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Take the poll!  Take it all, bitches!

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Mournlands to Player Council - Why?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
ML really died when they got rid of Ninja. Even though you lot all seem to hate him he did a great job running it.

Kookie and Squeak tried their best but far too often Turbine were so far behind schedule they either rushed stuff through ML or skipped it entirely and Lamania was more up-to-date.

Kookie changed roles so didnt dedicate the same amount of time, and Squeak did her best but was probably too new to be brave enough to push for things MLers were saying.

The only way the PC will be different is if the Producers are serious about it. But even if they are serious about it, why werent they simply more serious about ML?

It makes zero sense to do what they are doing.

Unless maybe the truth of it is they simply werent interested in the views of most of the people who were left in ML when it was shut down. Sorry guys Smiley

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
New Producer ( you know we have the one MajMal has a hard on about now ), new ways of doing things.

( ok, I sound like a corporate drone spewing that, it's just what I hope it is... or is it the two hours of corporate brainwashing I just had [ it was corporate junket afternoon/evening for me, lots of brainwashing occured, at least friday I won't think about it anymore for a week... I'll be off skiing. ]  )
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:39pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Its Day 3 of the PC. Lets wait a month or 2 and see how things go when they are behind schedule and the Devs are complaining about the PC not liking any of their ideas.

It will be the same as ML in a short amount of time.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Redshirts.

Cordovan, et al. got tired of all the heat on the forums so he created some new heatsinks - the PC. It must've worked well in the LotRO forums I'm thinking so he decided to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:07pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:07pm:
Redshirts.

Cordovan, et al. got tired of all the heat on the forums so he created some new heatsinks - the PC. It must've worked well in the LotRO forums I'm thinking so he decided to give it a shot.

I voted for the Hendricks choice, just because it amused me the most.

But I'd tend more towards the redshirts option, if trying for an actual choice.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:18pm:
I voted for the Hendricks choice

Is that like Sophie's choice?

ahhhh Hendick.  worst photoshopper evarrrr...

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:17pm:
Unless maybe the truth of it is they simply werent interested in the views of most of the people who were left in ML when it was shut down. Sorry guys Smiley

this

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:17pm:
The only way the PC will be different is if the Producers are serious about it. But even if they are serious about it, why werent they simply more serious about ML?

It makes zero sense to do what they are doing.

cost cutting.  one less server/instance to maintain and they are using the opportunity to re-brand.

just a guess.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Cinamon please flav

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 9:01pm:
cost cutting.  one less server/instance to maintain and they are using the opportunity to re-brand.

just a guess.

That and having a public beta server is like the 'thing' for MMOs these days from what I've heard. So DDO is just playing the norm.

And just practically, why *wouldn't* you want to have a larger pool of people to provide good feedback? Not everyone on ML was a big builder really on top of every aspect and consequence of builds. From a larger pool of interested people who do have that depth of background and actual playing experience you can extract much better feedback. Providing you ask the right questions and direct where you need that feedback to try to bring down the noise.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
You'll have to survive on Apple Pie, I don't know how to make Donuts.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I've always found Hendrick a bit annoying, especially when he tells people on the mother forum to shut the fuck up and quit playing the game if they don't like the way things are.

However after reading his responses on the mother forum talking about his time on ML, he's moved himself into the grade-A asshole column.

All I can say after reading his comments and replies there is that I'm glad the Devs decided to take their dicks out of his mouth by not putting him on the Player Council.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 5:54am
Print Post  
To my mind the main reason to switch from Mournlands, which was a hybrid Alpha/Beta test server, to the Player's Council is the decision timing.

It has become abundantly clear that any development in DDO gets momentum and 9 times out of 10 it is too late to stop by the time it hits Lammania, and not enough content  was going via ML(or not being listened to - see below).

The key with the PC really working, is that Turbine run ideas past the council, not half developed code.  You can imagine that as a Developer you sink weeks/months into designing and many hundreds of hours having the coders bring it to life, only to have everyone say "that sucks balls".  You would be quite defensive, and absolutely not want to throw away months of work just because the ignorant player base doesn't know what is good for them (eg. secret door changes).

The real advantage is getting in early enough before people are too vested in concepts.  The feedback (if heeded) will allow Turbine to either abandon or modify concepts in the very early stages of development.

That is how it should be used.  Time will tell if it is.
I think some of the problems at Turbine are the devs going too far too soon, but my suspicion is that the producers and strategic decision makers were out of touch with the customers (players) and just as culpable.  Sure they need to make business focused decisions - no probs there, but some of the stuff is just really offensive blatant money making concepts.  Hence the Zynga derision that they have invited on themselves.  And some of the decisions leave me scratching my head wondering how they ever thought it was a good idea.

They still need a dedicated Beta test server, not a friggin "we can't change it now" preview server. 
And Alpha testing should be done in-house - you don't outsource Alpha testing - needs to be done by experienced professionals, not software users.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:06am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 5:54am:
The key with the PC really working, is that Turbine run ideas past the council, not half developed code.  You can imagine that as a Developer you sink weeks/months into designing and many hundreds of hours having the coders bring it to life, only to have everyone say "that sucks balls".  You would be quite defensive, and absolutely not want to throw away months of work just because the ignorant player base doesn't know what is good for them (eg. secret door changes).

Yes.

Sadly with leaks already out, do you think that they are going to trust the PC with information?

I don't know if it's a PC member getting excited with the 'specialness' of their knowledge, poor computer security where someone's access has been hacked and is being accessed by someone leaking the material, if some sort of employed insider was inadvertently leaking stuff, whichever. It doesn't foster trust for Turbine in the PC and didn't in ML in the past. How can you work with that?

And you're right about the harshness of such judgements. I know I've offended people in the past for which I'm sorry... but sometimes you just have to call it how you see it. I accept that it's only my single perspective and that I may be in error. And while I do to try to phrase things tactfully, sometimes I feel like I must say things forcefully in order to convey how strongly I feel about certain proposals. As much as possible I try to be unemotive in my feedback.

It must be really hard for devs to release their creations on what can be a fairly unforgiving crowd. You need the sort of thick skin that SD had I imagine.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Meli wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:06am:
Sadly with leaks already out, do you think that they are going to trust the PC with information?

I don't know if it's a PC member getting excited with the 'specialness' of their knowledge, poor computer security where someone's access has been hacked and is being accessed by someone leaking the material, if some sort of employed insider was inadvertently leaking stuff, whichever. It doesn't foster trust for Turbine in the PC and didn't in ML in the past. How can you work with that?

I take your point, but in their shoes, I wouldn't care too much.  The risk is greater when you're floating half finished code, because if that leaks, you cannot change it enough.

An idea is just that.  You might float 100 ideas past the council, choose the best 20, knowing you can only deliver 10.  So leaks need to be managed, but if they happen, you just need to turn them to your advantage and use it to drive interest.
If the PC leaks, you investigate, cull it and eventually get rid of it if it persists.  There are ways to expose leaks too.

What you don't do is let that dipshit Glin anywhere near the forums to float his pearls of wisdom, before chuffing off home and watching the forums implode over the weekend.
In hindsight, I suspect it was all intentional as they weren't cubed or heavily moderated.  Some genius at Turbine thought it would be good to float the half baked ETR ideas on the forums.....
Outraged players are good aren't they?  Undecided

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:34am
Print Post  
It must be really hard for devs to release their creations on what can be a fairly unforgiving crowd. You need the sort of thick skin that SD had I imagine.

Again I understand your perspective, but those devs are in a service industry.  They need to balance up pioneering/surprising the customer with giving them what they want.
And that is the real challenge for the game development industry.  The required skillset is an uncommon one of creativity and technical capability.  You can create the most beautiful, realistic open area (Stormhorns?  Hall of Heroes??) but which is ultimately pointless beyond the first time through.  To my mind, this is called missing the mark.
Undecided

IP Logged

Ra
DQ Assaulter

yawn

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:36am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:34am:
To my mind, this is called missing the mark.
Undecided

like missing the toilet when peeing?

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:00am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:34am:
Again I understand your perspective, but those devs are in a service industry.  They need to balance up pioneering/surprising the customer with giving them what they want.
And that is the real challenge for the game development industry.  The required skillset is an uncommon one of creativity and technical capability.  You can create the most beautiful, realistic open area (Stormhorns?  Hall of Heroes??) but which is ultimately pointless beyond the first time through.  To my mind, this is called missing the mark.
Undecided

I'm not quite so utalitarian in my consumption of entertainment. I do like good art in which to play.

But if I'm understanding you, you mean feedback on the the more technical aspects, game balance, the effect of the introduction of certain elements into the existing game seen for a long way out.

I don't know if they've done that for a long, long time. With most things there was usually a sniff of it first presented at the year wrap up from the producer that everyone heard and could make their own guesses. Maybe it's just a function of design cycles and funding and management over-arching direction. We're getting a sense of the timing of design cycles just say in this last lot of the Haunted Halls. From when it was first announced to when it was first on Lamm and now we're seeing the final cycles putting finishing touches on things and changing things from feedback. It's a fairly fast cycle and they don't waste much time. Well from what I can see with my own work experiences

Given the wealth of the material in the IP (and somehow they continue to arrange friendly deals to use the IP - how do they do that?) they must have thousands of ideas up their sleeves. But they may not choose from those thousands all that often but have long term planning with definite decisions made only on financial years or whatever.

Also I'm not entirely sure that the intention is to use the PC just for this IP related material but for other stuff also. But I'm waiting curiously to see what.

I think I've argued myself into confusing circles. I need sleep.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:06am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:23am:
I take your point, but in their shoes, I wouldn't care too much.  The risk is greater when you're floating half finished code, because if that leaks, you cannot change it enough.

An idea is just that.  You might float 100 ideas past the council, choose the best 20, knowing you can only deliver 10.  So leaks need to be managed, but if they happen, you just need to turn them to your advantage and use it to drive interest.

Surely the best way to lessen the risk is just not to give anything of significance to ML or the PC? That way you don't have to worry about leaks. Sorted.

A lot of staff are players too. They are not totally out of touch with their own game.

I hope the leaks are sorted out because I would like the PC body to be useful. Early days yet to see. What I am really happy about with though is Lamm - especially if we continue to see feedback responded to.

blergh... /sleep

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Meli they are rubbish players and you know it. They cant test new content in Elite/Epic Elite without turning on God Mode.

And the best way to lessen the risk is not to give the PC nothing. That may be the best way to lessen the leaks, but not the risk.

The biggest risk is they release steaming piles of garbage which noone buys.

They came close with MotU and hit the mark with Shadowfail.

Take away TR hearts and XP stones and their revenues would be zero outside of the crazies who continue to pay VIP.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #21 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Methinks Turbine just needs a brilliant evil genius in their ranks... both to generate more income and make the game better.

If ever the gaming company would be sold, I'd definitely buy it. It wouldn't take that much to improve it all with a great team of programmers. I'd take care of my players, improve my servers, enhance the gaming experience, and just... DO WELL with it.

Any millionaires out there willing to help out with my brilliant plan?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Well, I guess we know the answer now.  lol?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 8:35am
Print Post  

We will see Meli, I suspect Turbine knew the first few topics were going to bet leaked just to make sure everybody was aware of what they really could say and what is going to get them the boot, and that they are so far down the development plan that everybody will have forgotten about them when they actually hit Lammania.

IP Logged

Saaluta
Vault Mistress

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
I picked Hendrik option; of course, I've had him squelched on the mother forums  for a few years now...so I haven't seen what he's been spewing lately Smiley

Saal Smiley

Hello Darkness, my old friend!  It's nice to talk with you again!
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
They don't just settle for shooting themselves in the foot. Turbine uses a repeating crossbow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint