Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) "Dev Diary" on epic 3BC (Read 34906 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

"Dev Diary" on epic 3BC
Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441518-Epic-3BC-Dev-Diary

Quote:
Hello! This is Lead Developer PurpleFooz, and I’d like to talk a little more about our plans to “epi-fy” Three-Barrel Cove! Many details are still being worked on, but we wanted to give you some idea of what to expect when Update 22 arrives.

The Story:
Rumors have surfaced of a giant treasure cache, hidden somewhere in Three Barrel Cove by the pirate lord Ahraatz-Ri before he was slain. For those who might not remember Ahraatz-Ri, he was the ogre-mage boss and leader of the Blood Tide pirates in the Sentinels of Stormreach adventure pack.

The remnants of the Blood Tide pirates believe that if they can find Ahraatz-Ri’s treasure, they can use it to restore themselves to their former power. Rumors of treasure have also attracted other pirate crews, and Epic Three Barrel Cove is now crawling with competing pirate crews looking for treasure, and who are willing to fight for clues!

Cydonie will be the questgiver; it’ll be a new instance of her in Three Barrel Cove. There are some complex Argonessen politics going on – while Cynodie is still the ambassador, she’s out of favor for siding with the lesser races when Argonessen wanted to raze Stormreach. Cydonie has numerous motives, and is choosing to have adventurers do work on her behalf, at least for now.

Monsters:
We’re also completely replacing the old heroic monsters with a new list of epic monsters. There is some overlap between the old list and the new list, because some monsters make ideal pirates at any Challenge Rating. For example, warforged are on both lists. However, they’ll feel more like airship pirates rather than the original Three Barrel Cove warforged, and will be used both in different combat roles and different locations.

A number of new “native” monsters are planned to be added to 3BC’s landscape: harpies and yuan-ti. We discussed a number of possible monster additions with the Player Council. The dev team had a short list of monsters to meet particular gameplay goals, and we narrowed it down to those two through PC votes.

Pirate crews will use slightly different line-ups of monsters from each other. For example, we’re planning on a crew that uses a lot of artillery, using rune-arms and explosives. Another crew might only have a small number of monsters which use rune-arms. A completely different crew might specialize in undead pirates.

Most of the pirate types are individually weak, and are meant to work in conjunction with each other in order to threaten high-level players. They support the airships, which are the real epic monsters.

Airship monsters:
Each of the pirate crews are based on a pirate airship, flying about the 3BC landscape. This is a new thing for us, but we’ve been able to prove out the concepts in our prototypes – each airship will be a single attackable monster, with several attacks, including:
  • Magefire cannon broadsides: Different airships will barrage you with different types of magefire cannons, i.e. deal different types of damage.
  • Grapping hooks: Airships can shoot grappling hooks down to the ground, allowing their crew to zip down. Airships will typically try to drop their crew near to players they plan to fight. For some types of pirate ships, the monsters will just be the generic crew. Other pirate ships might specialize in this, and drop off much nastier pirate marines.

And because a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, here's some early footage from Eberron of airships in Three Barrel Cove:

Players with powerful ranged attacks can directly attack these airship monsters. Melee players will be great against crew and marines, and in particular against the grappling hooks that allow those monsters to continuously spawn. There will also be large Ballista Turrets in the landscape that can be used against airships, giving all characters the chance to hit a ship in the sky. The turrets are expected to be similar to the kobold crossbow turrets in Haunted Halls that you may have already encountered. Clever players can find ways aboard some airships, fight through the crew to the lower decks, and destroy the airship from the inside.

Quests and Adventuring in Three Barrel Cove:
The landscape will have different slayer and rare objectives on epic and heroic. It also won’t have the exact same list of explorer points. All the monsters on the landscape will be replaced on epic. It’s likely that at least some encounters will be on the Random Encounter system. But one of the realities is that 3BC has a ton of tight cliffs & walkways, without enough space for random encounters to spawn. Those areas will get new statically-placed monsters.

Yes, we’re planning on adding free teleport points across the landscape!

The small town and ship dock that’s currently part of the adventure area will be converted into a public area. We want to do this because it makes it easier for us to set up and place the new epic quest arc.

The epified dungeons have their monsters completely replaced, and as well may have some different objectives. Their layouts and main critical paths are probably going to be similar to the old ones, but the nature of the new pirate monsters should make them feel different. We’ve tentatively chosen 4 dungeons to be epified as part of a new 5-part epic arc: Prove Your Worth, Ghost of a Chance, The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias, and Garl’s Tomb. These are partly based on the responses to the “favorite 3BC dungeon” thread, and partly based on our internal evaluation on how much effort it would take to epify each of the 3BC dungeons. We also considered how well the new story and pirate monsters would work in these dungeons.

In each dungeon, you’ll be vying against Blood Tide pirates and other pirate crews to locate clues to the location of the treasure. The clues might be as simple as a piece of a map, or something a bit more complex. Once you’ve completed the 4 dungeons, you’ll be able to find the location of the treasure on the 3BC landscape.

We’re also planning a 5th dungeon – a brand new epic-only dungeon. It’s something of a spiritual replacement for Guard Duty, where you are fending off pirate airships which are attacking the airship carrying the treasure back to Stormreach. Rather than the static nature of the original Guard Duty, we’re planning on something much more dynamic and interesting by building on top of the technologies we developed for the “bed ship” in Acute Delirium.
Thank you for reading!
PurpleFooz

Harpies and yuan-ti? Fucking seriously? I guess it's better than 6000 hp rats. But still. What were the other choices, PC assholes?

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Re: "Dev Diary" on epic 3BC
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Harpies and yuan-ti are bullshit, but like you said, at least they aren't 6k hp rats. I guess we need to manage our expectations for what will, at this point, most likely be a shitty pack that utilizes some potentially interesting new mechanics.

I'm cautiously optimistic, at least compared to how I felt about it before. They seem to be eliminating some of the reasons that the pack is shitty, although it's still going to be epic pirates. Even though I, along with many other people, would prefer it if they focused on expanding content that's already decent, it seems that they'll be making at least a few positive changes.

Unless they don't. We'll see.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
PC fail on monsters...What the hell were the other choices? Oozes?

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:31pm:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441518-Epic-3BC-Dev-Diary
Harpies and yuan-ti? Fucking seriously? I guess it's better than 6000 hp rats. But still. What were the other choices, PC assholes?

I actually don't have a particular problem with that.  The scariest things I've ever encountered in tabletop or in DDO was anything that can get class levels.

If the Harpies can fly, then they're going to be serious pains in the ass to melee types (like those fucking Horrors in the new Haunted Halls quest.)  Also:
"Players with powerful ranged attacks can directly attack these airship monsters. Melee players will be great against crew and marines, and in particular against the grappling hooks that allow those monsters to continuously spawn. There will also be large Ballista Turrets in the landscape that can be used against airships, giving all characters the chance to hit a ship in the sky. The turrets are expected to be similar to the kobold crossbow turrets in Haunted Halls that you may have already encountered. Clever players can find ways aboard some airships, fight through the crew to the lower decks, and destroy the airship from the inside."

TL;DR version - FUCK YOU, MELEE!  TR AND MAKE A MONKCHER OR AN ARCANE CASTER.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
I think it's awful they're building more new systems. They obviously can't manage to not fuck em up, why are they introducing more???????????????????????

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Because they are a bunch of MOTHERFUCKERSRETARDEDFUCKINGMORONS!!!!!!!!!

FIX THE FUCKING SAGAS NOW YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:56pm:
I think it's awful they're building more new systems. They obviously can't manage to not fuck em up, why are they introducing more???????????????????????

Unfortunately, new content is better at attracting new players and earning them money from current ones. Ideally, they would be able to fix old systems while coming out with new ones, but they obviously don't have the manpower to do that.

The result seems to be content comes out --> content has bugs --> worst bugs are fixed, less game breaking bugs are ignored nearly indefinitely --> repeat.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
FUCKING 3CRAP COVE IT'S NOT NEW, FUCK THIS SHIT.

FUCK YOU TURDBINE I HATE YOU AND I HOPE YOU BLOW UP IN A BALL OF FIRE.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:04pm by ILoveExploits »  

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:39pm:
Harpies and yuan-ti are bullshit, but like you said, at least they aren't 6k hp rats..

Harpies always make me helpless. What the fuk is it? I can never catch it in my combat log.

Hates it makes it stops pls.

Also, at least double the HP on those rats. IQ has rats with that many HPs. Elite shroud 9k+ orthons. Elite storm horns 16k+ giants and orcs.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:12pm:
Harpies always make me helpless. What the fuk is it? I can never catch it in my combat log.

Hates it makes it stops pls.

Also, at least double the HP on those rats. IQ has rats with that many HPs. Elite shroud 9k+ orthons. Elite storm horns 16k+ giants and orcs.

They are all stupid bards...

AND FUCK YOU TURDBINE

Dear players,

Love,

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:15pm:
They are all stupid bards...

/Quiting game

Can has my stuff.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
It actually sounds like they've gone through a bit of effort by adding teleporters and the new airship mechanics sound quite different, and variety is always good. Some of the better quests in the game are the oddball ones.

I'm pretty sure that after two or three updates to iron out the bugs it might be a fun pack.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:00pm:
Unfortunately, new content is better at attracting new players and earning them money from current ones. Ideally, they would be able to fix old systems while coming out with new ones, but they obviously don't have the manpower to do that.

The result seems to be content comes out --> content has bugs --> worst bugs are fixed, less game breaking bugs are ignored nearly indefinitely --> repeat.

New content doesn't have to mean new systems.

They can make HUGE amounts of new content without adding new programming features.  Just hire a half dozen new dungeon designers and tell the programming developers that they're not allowed to design any new programming features for the game or we'll cut their fucking fingers off.

*WHAT* they designed bothers me more than the fact that they designed a new feature, but the fact that they designed a new feature is also stupid.

The free teleporters is good, though.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:35pm:

Same as the ones in Gianthold, and Eveningstar?

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:44pm:
Same as the ones in Gianthold, and Eveningstar?

This is all I saw in the dev diary:
"Yes, we’re planning on adding free teleport points across the landscape!"

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
3BCrap is not that huge...

Dear players,

Love,

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
We added a superfluous way of delivering the same old mobs to the combat zone, and we're awfully proud of it.

You drew a line from A to B and whizzed a sprite down it. Big deal.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Epic 3BC, Is this some kind of prank?  Where is Stainer?  Is he leveling in the Fire Caves?

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  

Quote:
A number of new “native” monsters are planned to be added to 3BC’s landscape: harpies and yuan-ti. We discussed a number of possible monster additions with the Player Council. The dev team had a short list of monsters to meet particular gameplay goals, and we narrowed it down to those two through PC votes.

translation: "if the 3bc monsters suck, it's the PC's fault."

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
the ships seem kind of cool though.  wonder how they'll fuck that up.  or how that will fuck up our guild ships.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:05pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

BlackKnight
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Most of the pirate types are individually weak, and are meant to work in conjunction with each other in order to threaten high-level players. They support the airships, which are the real epic monsters.

Furyshot on: airship down.

Boring.

New pack please.

IP Logged

Daze
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama! I do ...
I really do.

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
perhaps they are trying to have a relevant system that doesn't have a bunch of duped stuff diluting the grind potential.

It's a poor excuse but it's the only reason that makes sense to me.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:35pm:
New content doesn't have to mean new systems.

They can make HUGE amounts of new content without adding new programming features.  Just hire a half dozen new dungeon designers and tell the programming developers that they're not allowed to design any new programming features for the game or we'll cut their fucking fingers off.

*WHAT* they designed bothers me more than the fact that they designed a new feature, but the fact that they designed a new feature is also stupid.

Oh, I agree with you completely. We can't know for sure why they don't do something like that, but as history has taught us, Turbine tends to give us unrefined new "features" that they often don't bother to polish.

With that being the case, we should try to forget about any broader policy changes we'd like to see and attempt to focus on the slightly more realistic "I hope whatever they do isn't too badly broken when they release it".

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:21pm:
Epic 3BC, Is this Where is Stainer?  Is he leveling in the Fire Caves?

cyberstalking/bullying away on whatever yabb will put up with him.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:25pm:
we should try to forget about any broader policy changes we'd like to see and attempt to focus on the slightly more realistic "I hope whatever they do isn't too badly broken when they release it".

that philosophy has served me well for the last 4-5 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint