Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Necrotic build help (Read 6362 times)
Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Necrotic build help
Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I am a new player to ddo and I was wondering about the viability of a wizard/cleric necro build.
So fa I am unsure how to distribute my levels while the  shrouds in PA are cool I am not sure they are worth it. There seems to be no way to heal while using them. Additionally the damage on inflict wounds the cleric gets seem to be WAY more powerful than any of the damaging necro wizard spells, and heal is not cross class in cleric.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with in this matter

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Re: Necrotic build help
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Wait, let me ask this really short.

You mean viablity of a necro specd cleric and necro specd wizzard or a multiclass necro wizzard/cleric?

For the first 2, they are very viable, for the last one il be frank, its a totaly flavor only build that doesnt have much synergy.
I mean it could be fun to play, but if you want a optimal build i doubt anyone would suggest to combine wizzard and cleric.
Only reason i found to do so is on a tree build for test purpose and that build did apsolutely nothing that can be called necro.

So again, do you mean a multiclass or a necro specd wizzard or cleric?
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2015 at 3:34pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I was thinking multiclass wizard/clearic the pale master gives lots of neg spell power and crit and the Divine Disciple gives neg crit and even more spell power. The combination of the two on inflict wounds seems like it could be strong. Between the two trees your getting +16% necro crit. Admittedly all the spells that i would get from one of the two classes would be mostly useless, but the additional wizard feats plus the manna and spell power from pale master seem like it would make up for it wouldn't it?

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 3:53pm:
I was thinking multiclass wizard/clearic the pale master gives lots of neg spell power and crit and the Divine Disciple gives neg crit and even more spell power. The combination of the two on inflict wounds seems like it could be strong. Between the two trees your getting +16% necro crit. Admittedly all the spells that i would get from one of the two classes would be mostly useless, but the additional wizard feats plus the manna and spell power from pale master seem like it would make up for it wouldn't it?

Thing is once you reach epic levels you will see that there is nothing to benefit negative spell damage, there is exalted for light spell power but negative has apsolutely nothing as booster.
Also if you splash you caster levels become limited and thus you lose full potential of the spell so the increase in crit chance and spell power gets pulled down by low caster spell levels.
Also another thing is that most mobs in game are undead, so you would like.. heal those.
Then there is deathward and there is massive hp pools enemies have later.
While you can increase your negative damage to some extent you cannot increase your caster levels and you dont get a significant synergy with epic destenies.
All are focus on either random spell casts, dc casts, element   spell casts or light spell casts.

I mean it might be fun to mess around with, but techincaly speaking and efficiency speaking its really bad.
But dont let that discourage you if you want go ahead with it.
Another thing that il point out is that there is a limited ammount of spells that can be used for that playstyle that hold any efficiency.
Inflicts/harm being from cleric line and neg auras burst and necrotic ray + slas from palemaster being from necro line puts you at a disadvantage compared to other spells those classes can use.

So techically you would be limited to 2 single target nukes both based on fortitude and some aoes that are also based on fortitude save.
And you cannot pick both since once is a lv 6 cleric spell and 2nd is a lv 6 wizz spell.
If you could bypass not runing undead content /which is really hard/ you would end up with spells that dont scale well and no capability to use other spels.
You could use fire as 2ndary focus but even so the spell selection and caster levels would limit that.

Worst overall reason is no synergy with epic levels, no proper reilable spells and to much sp consumed due to lack of cc on a deeper multiclass build.
IF you want a sun elf wizz plife, you are better off doing 18 wiz 2 cleric if you really wanted somethin for neg spell power, but even so i would advise way better things
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:15pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
mmm that's a good point.. I currently don't have any high tier characters, so i was really looking for something that i could level into epic. (That is not a sorc)

The light version of the cleric also looks cool but most of the enhancements only improve positive spell power and as far as i am aware there are no positive damaging spells (unless your fighting undead)..

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 4:20pm:
mmm that's a good point.. I currently don't have any high tier characters, so i was really looking for something that i could level into epic. (That is not a sorc)

The light version of the cleric also looks cool but most of the enhancements only improve positive spell power and as far as i am aware there are no positive damaging spells (unless your fighting undead)..

Stuff from divine disciple is mostly universal/fire/light/negative so a light spell based caster works really great.
Best current build is 17 cleric 3 fsoul due to synergy for crit chance and ability to keep dc casting on very high tier level  + capability to use heavy armor to fix the survival issues.
Actually a great build

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:42pm
Print Post  

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:02pm:
There seems to be no way to heal while using them.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Lesser_Death_Aura
http://ddowiki.com/page/Death_Aura
http://ddowiki.com/page/Negative_Energy_Burst

This is how Necros self-heal in undead form.  They damage enemies, and also heal you without hurting any other friendlies.

Keep an extended aura going (iirc they used to stack, not sure if they still do) and use the burst in case of emergency.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
First off in response to those spells: do those spells heal the castor as well or only undead allies?

Thread about pale master  but seems to be outdated

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1414067397

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:14pm:
First off in response to those spells: do those spells heal the castor as well or only undead allies?

Thread about pale master  but seems to be outdated

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1414067397

If you're a PaleMaster in one of the Undead Forms, the auras HEAL you.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Friendly Cleric Inflict spells heal you in undead form as well, but that's usually not worth it. Especially if they come from your own cleric levels, as you have to specifically self-target first.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:14am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 3rd, 2014 at 5:08am:
Done it.

15-20 was god mode.

What you are missing is that it sucks in epics because there is no synergistic epic destiny.

This.

I did a 17 cleric/3 wizard build in zombie form. In heroic elites, you get one-shot necrotic rays and then you hit the Negative Energy Burst SLA, and everything around you gets one-shotted while you get full-healed for 7 SP every 6 seconds. Plus the typical Blade Barrier, Divine Punishment, etc cleric spells. It was annoying only having Lesser Death Aura, but who needs that when you can cast Harm on yourself?

It requires no past lives or gear, so I highly recommend it as a caster build for new characters/players that aren't interested in epic content for whatever reason. The issue is that no epic destiny abilities help increase negative energy while mob hp scales up like crazy, so you end up either as a 3rd rate Shiradi spammer or you respec into light damage for Exalted Angel (which makes the wizard levels pointless.)

Singing "Thriller" in voice chat while my avatar does the zombie-form elf /dance2 is epic though.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:28am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 5:54am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:14am:
Singing "Thriller" in voice chat while my avatar does the zombie-form elf /dance2 is epic though.

lol.

I miss the zombie animation glitch that used to cut out the third attack sequence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint