Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) D&D & Atari (Read 11987 times)
Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

D&D & Atari
Mar 1st, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
A interesting article that gets into D&D and Atari's relationship a few years back. Article does not mention Turbine. Atari was original publisher of DDO though.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/01/how-sword-coast-legends-is-a-digital-boxed-set...

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Re: D&D & Atari
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
LOL . . . it's as if DDO was retconned out of existence.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
yep, no love here. Not an Atari fanboy but if I recall right the lawsuit from them to Wizards of the Coast was about them selling online rights a second time to Neverwinter and not promoting DDO. Seems like Atari was in the right on that one. WoC has never really had any DDO love. I wonder if having DDO set entirely in the Forgotten Realms instead of Eberron (which I hear was WotC call) then perhaps it would of fit into WotC's plans better following the failure of Eberron. Irony?

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I always thought Eberron was an odd choice of settings for DDO... it wasn't until I was running around the thatched roof buildings out in Eveningstar that I felt "at home".

Ah well, water under the bridge at this point.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I always thought it was more of an edition wars thing...trying to promote the new books. 4th edition was published in '07. DDO was based on 3rd, NWO was going to be based on 4th.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
WotC was trying to push its crappy Eberron setting and thought a popular MMO based in it would increase sales of that campaign setting.

Fucking stupid robots in my D&D.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:04am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:03am:
WotC was trying to push its crappy Eberron setting and thought a popular MMO based in it would increase sales of that campaign setting.

Fucking stupid robots in my D&D. 

While I think Eberron is retarded, I like the city of Stormreach and having the campaign take place in a back-water continent.

DDO being FR on day one would have lead to a stronger game.

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:12am
Print Post  
i didnt know atari had anything to do with ddo. and i agree forgotten  realms would have been a better place to start

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:12am
Print Post  
HiWelcome wrote on Mar 1st, 2015 at 9:26pm:
I always thought Eberron was an odd choice of settings for DDO... it wasn't until I was running around the thatched roof buildings out in Eveningstar that I felt "at home".

Ah well, water under the bridge at this point.

I had the same feeling too.
Always liked FR.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The whole issue is that for ADD 3 ( and 3.5 ) the support setting was to be Eberron, and just Eberron... FR and the rest were to be scrapped ( or at least left to rot in ADD2 )...

But the outcry of all the PnP people was so heavy that they had to show bring some FR ( and a few Greyhawk ) stuff...while making sure all the other setting stayed in the graveyard by muddling up the IPs a bit more ( which allowed to Wiess and Hickman to do some Dragonlance Stuff, Blackmoor to be edited under D20 and so on ).

Then Hasbro tookover, and the suits there wanted a game easy to transform into an MMO or a console game with easy stuff...Thus came the Bastard Child called 4th Ed.
With Hasbro came money, that secured having Salvatore around, and thus the setting shifted again and was put back on Faerun.
To help secure more revenue, this new set of rules had to have a computer game as well, and lo behold there's that nice NWN IP that made lots of money...
Lets do a 4th Edition computer game... If you remember originally 4th Ed wasn't meant to be a MMO... People would meet in a lobby, form parties there and go adventuring in potentially player made dungeons.

Then the Atari debacle comes in... Atari buys Cryptic, then sell it to PWE when they gets nailed by all their stupid management choices...
Along the way they make the move to sell the Distribution Branch in Europe to Namco... basically asking for Hasbro licenced games to be sold by Namco...
that's a big No No for Hasbro... Said games not being advertized as they should ( really the DDO communication campaign at launch in Europe was pathetic ).

In the end Atari lost the license, Turbine had to settle an agreement with Wizards to keep DDO going, Atari sold Cryptic and NWO to PWE that promptly rebuilt the game using their in house MMO system changing it to a multiplay cooperative game into a full fledged MMO, while dropping everything D&D except the name and the setting. ( and some fluff in char development )

When the dust settle you have
- DDO, that's based on ADD 3.5 and Eberron... A game full of could have been, but that's 9 years old.
- NWO, that's based on D&D 4 and Neverwinter... 4th Ed is not really D&D and the bad sales proves it... ( as long as the fact that it took them quite a while to bring 5th Ed to actually fix the issue )... A game that has been completely rebuilt by PWE when they bought Cryptic, that missed the joint release date of the PnP version due to all legal tangle, and that doesn't really have any appeal to D&D players... And with a Forgotten Realms broken ( once again... remember Times of trouble ) to fit yet another system change....

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:39pm:
People would meet in a lobby, form parties there and go adventuring in potentially player made dungeons.

That sounds awesome.  I'd pay real money for that.  Maybe someday...   Shocked

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
HiWelcome wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 2:49pm:
That sounds awesome.  I'd pay real money for that.  Maybe someday...   Shocked

It did sound awesome... but well Atari, and especially 4th Editions are killers...

Sword Coast Legends seems to be based maybe on a similar concept... But it's too early to know...

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 4:55pm:
But it's too early to know...

Seems a safe bet that game companies are not interested in delivering what D&D players want. Companies are much happier making throwaway garbage for random dickfiddlers to spooge some money on.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Two words to you all: Planescape and Sigil

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:54am:
Two words to you all: Planescape and Sigil

That's three words.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:29am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:28am:
That's three words.

Yeah, but it's one concept, and 3-1=2

Wink

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:51pm:
Yeah, but it's one concept, and 3-1=2

You may have won this time, Math. But mark my words, you'll rue the day you met ... The English Major!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:07am:
Seems a safe bet that game companies are not interested in delivering what D&D players want. Companies are much happier making throwaway garbage for random dickfiddlers to spooge some money on.

For once I agree with you... Obsidian proved that with NWN2 they just steamrolled their plan and fuck what the people wanted.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 1:40pm:
For once I agree with you... Obsidian proved that with NWN2 they just steamrolled their plan and fuck what the people wanted.

For once?

Excuse me while I wrap my head around that.

Does that mean when I said something like, "I'm not playing DDO until the mimic event is over," you didn't agree?

Is it even possible? The only Vaultie I can think of who has said no more than one thing you agree with are Vaulties who've said only one thing, and Bambibeer, on the grounds that no one could figure out what he was saying.

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:24pm:
and Bambibeer, on the grounds that no one could figure out what he was saying.

No, he sobered up briefly and had flashes of coherence, I guess you missed it.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
HiWelcome wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 2:49pm:
No, he sobered up briefly and had flashes of coherence, I guess you missed it.   

No, it's just ... can we really be sure those were coherence? Maybe they were just statistically improbable moments for his monkey.

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure the monkey drinks too.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
If the million monkeys banging away on the typewriters were drunk, would they produce Shakespeare faster or slower?

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:17pm:
If the million monkeys banging away on the typewriters were drunk, would they produce Shakespeare faster or slower?

Depends which play.

Titus, faster.  The Tempest, slower.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:39pm:
The whole issue is that for ADD 3 ( and 3.5 ) the support setting was to be Eberron, and just Eberron... FR and the rest were to be scrapped ( or at least left to rot in ADD2 )...

But the outcry of all the PnP people was so heavy that they had to show bring some FR ( and a few Greyhawk ) stuff...while making sure all the other setting stayed in the graveyard by muddling up the IPs a bit more ( which allowed to Wiess and Hickman to do some Dragonlance Stuff, Blackmoor to be edited under D20 and so on ).

Then Hasbro tookover, and the suits there wanted a game easy to transform into an MMO or a console game with easy stuff...Thus came the Bastard Child called 4th Ed.
With Hasbro came money, that secured having Salvatore around, and thus the setting shifted again and was put back on Faerun.
To help secure more revenue, this new set of rules had to have a computer game as well, and lo behold there's that nice NWN IP that made lots of money...
Lets do a 4th Edition computer game... If you remember originally 4th Ed wasn't meant to be a MMO... People would meet in a lobby, form parties there and go adventuring in potentially player made dungeons.

Then the Atari debacle comes in... Atari buys Cryptic, then sell it to PWE when they gets nailed by all their stupid management choices...
Along the way they make the move to sell the Distribution Branch in Europe to Namco... basically asking for Hasbro licenced games to be sold by Namco...
that's a big No No for Hasbro... Said games not being advertized as they should ( really the DDO communication campaign at launch in Europe was pathetic ).

In the end Atari lost the license, Turbine had to settle an agreement with Wizards to keep DDO going, Atari sold Cryptic and NWO to PWE that promptly rebuilt the game using their in house MMO system changing it to a multiplay cooperative game into a full fledged MMO, while dropping everything D&D except the name and the setting. ( and some fluff in char development )

When the dust settle you have
- DDO, that's based on ADD 3.5 and Eberron... A game full of could have been, but that's 9 years old.
- NWO, that's based on D&D 4 and Neverwinter... 4th Ed is not really D&D and the bad sales proves it... ( as long as the fact that it took them quite a while to bring 5th Ed to actually fix the issue )... A game that has been completely rebuilt by PWE when they bought Cryptic, that missed the joint release date of the PnP version due to all legal tangle, and that doesn't really have any appeal to D&D players... And with a Forgotten Realms broken ( once again... remember Times of trouble ) to fit yet another system change....

Wow, I didn't realise it was such a convoluted clusterfuck.
What a mess.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint