Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Updated Tinkerhell (12 Arty/6Bard/2Rogue) (Read 19141 times)
harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Updated Tinkerhell (12 Arty/6Bard/2Rogue)
Apr 18th, 2015 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Since I left seven months ago, they fixed Swashbuckler and shurikens, and made blitz easy button.

gibbons did a good job rehashing an old idea I had, but after much thought and a lot of spreadsheeting, I believe the best thrower build now would be:

Spreadsheet: (Google Drive looks shit, download and open in Excel): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPzquwSBGvvSXhmaXRfSmJtWHc/view?usp=sharing

12 Arty/6 Bard/2 Rogue (Halfling)

See the link for detailed damage calcs versus what is probably the next best thrower build, which would be the most updated Shuricannon/Lvl 20 Monk thrower. With everything but Bard Song buffs included (but leaving out some item based procs and SA damage since it's virtually the same between builds and not that much), this build is a strong 9% total damage per throw ahead of a 20 Monk Shuricannon. With Bard songs this build pulls very slightly more ahead.

Additionally, I liberally gave the Shuricannon 40% Doubleshot, and only 50% for the Bard build. The bard build gains 12% static Doubleshot over the Monk however (Cores + Dashing Scoundrel), and 30% Doubleshot Action boosts (9 or so of them in LD) which should reasonably add about 10% averaged full time Doubleshot. So, I tried to be very fair in my estimates. Because I didn't do exact Dexterity accounting, (Monk gets 4 from Wind Stance, this build gets 4 from Tensers, enhancement Dex is roughly the same, etc), I just gave them both 60 Dex. Based on experience, this is a reasonable Dex assumption. It can go as high as the high 70's, but that takes Cookies, several pots, etc.

So not only does it do more damage (and arguably less resistible damage in the form of physical damage), but this build has a whole other aspect that makes it sort of amazing: instakills and CC. Fascinate and Coup De Grace add a certain "oh shit" option all my other thrower builds lacked. Not sure how important it is, but I'm excited to play with it and see.

The sheet has all of the info, but it's a lot and I don't want to repeat it all, so if you want to check my math or see for yourself, just donwload it.

Summary:

Feats:
(Heroic)
Extend
PBS
Shuriken Prof
Shuriken Exp
Quickdraw
IPS
IC Ranged

(Artificer)
Precision
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot

(Epic)
Empower Heal
OC
lvl 26: Lasting Constipation, Pos Spell Power, or Holy Strike
27: Dodge, Epic Reflex, or Combat Archery
28: Doubleshot

Enhancements:
(37) Swashbuckler all the way to Tier 5, take dex, action boost, Dashing Scoundrel, Blow by Blow, Exploit Weakness, etc. All the goodies.
(11) Halfling all the way to Skillful Thrower for Dex to Damage with shurikens
(27) Harper for Dex, Know the Angles, Adept I-III, whatever you see fit.
(5) To play with. Probably take Arbelester, and maybe more dodge in Halfling. Up to you.

Stats: Start 20 Dex, and split the rest of the points between Con and Int, but I would stress Int for KtA. Level up's in Dex.

Some rationale:
*Arty 12 is for self cast, extended Tensers. BaB has a large effect on throwing speed, and the 4 extra dex are a nice perk. This build would lose about 11% thrown speed without it. Also, Arty gives 3 Feats, SP, and extended longer Displacement casts from GS items. Having more bard and some ranger could be nice, but feats are tight, and scrolling Tensers sucks. So, 12 Arty it is.
*You could also trade Dashing Scoundrel for Canoneer if you want and use a Rune Arm. Kind of a toss up between 10% Doubleshot and 6 damage vs. the 20 Damage of Glass Cannon.
*Throwing Speed Tests were done this week. I started doing 3 short ones and averaging, but then I just went to 40 throws (counting the animation sound) and using that instead. Should be accurate to within a few basis points.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2015 at 6:41pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: Updated Tinkerhell (12 Arty/6Bard/2Rogue)
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I stone every life so Im not sure the best order, but probably 2 Rogue for Evasion quick, then Bard to 5, then 12 Arty, then last Bard I guess. You'll have plenty of skill points, and should be able to manage EE traps and doors. IPS and OC Ranged are your only feats with any real requirements, so just take everything else first until you meet the reqs.

Equipment is up to you, go for damage, dex, int, whatever.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Have you considered the new ToEE set bonus offhand for more ranged power?

What about rogue mechanic tier 5 enhancements?

IP Logged

ChewyOoeyGoOey
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Woot! Can't wait to try to NotHar... just in time too as I'm working on getting my 2 last Doubleshot EPL's.

Good job and thanks so much!

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Yes to ToEE set. Already farming for the pieces. Not sure how to make it work though. No shurikens, orbs, rune arms, or bucklers to complete the set. Anything else will break swashbuckling.

I will caveat however, that right now the original Tinkerhell could use that set to be pretty close in DPS to this build.

Can't see T5 Mech being better than T5 Swash, but maybe Ill try to math it out. ExWeakness insane
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:48pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
not sure if halfling crit range and swash are stacking. They are both competence bonus and shouldnt be stacking. Like swash and pulverizer not stacking. And why take dex to damage from halfling when you could take it from swash?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:54pm:
not sure if halfling crit range and swash are stacking. They are both competence bonus and shouldnt be stacking. Like swash and pulverizer not stacking. And why take dex to damage from halfling when you could take it from swash?

They are both Competence and do not stack. But I don't have them stacking anywhere either in the math...Halfling is for Dex to Damage.

Swash has dex to damage, when Single Weapon Fighting. Throwing a shuriken is not single weapon fighting. Or is there something about this I don't understand?
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:13pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:12pm:
They are both Competence and do not stack. But I don't have them stacking anywhere either in the math...Halfling is for Dex to Damage.

Swash has dex to damage, when Single Weapon Fighting. Throwing a shuriken is not single weapon fighting. Or is there something about this I don't understand?

No, you're right. I had never read that second part of the description. Why would they do this? It should be limited by swash stance, which would enable thrower builds. So unintuitive.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
First, that repost of the Ranger based thrower wasn't my idea. Don't want anybody thinking I was taking credit. I did play it through, and it was fun.

Unless it's changed, Different Tack is even worse than useless since it requires SWF. SWF lowered throwing speed when it was added. I'm not sure how this was the case and I haven't checked it recently.

Another thing I haven't checked is Blow By Blow (named after a game Cordo plays in staff meetings) not working with ranged. I hope it's fixed because that's another source of sonic damage.

I like Arty base because after a couple of recent lives I detest scrolling Tensor's. One life had some ranger and could Manyshot so that got me thinking. I've been contemplating 12 Arty/5 Rogue/3 Bard taking T5 Mechanic for the love that gives Great Xbows and using Endless Fusillade for bursting. No CDG plays differently, -2 damage from Thread compared to Sharpshooter. No Exploit Weakness which feels tough to quantify exactly since it's shifty but is unarguably good and losing it means fewer crits and less Resonant Arms damage. +10 Doubleshot (which stacks with IDK what) +10 RP, +10 Ranged Alacrity (which again stacks with IDK what). I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff to be able to Fusillade. It also fucking kills me not having enough to get Killer out of the Ass tree (that's the tree Cordo used to make his wooden teeth).

Your Spreadsheet-Fu is fucking amazeballs.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I'm too invested in Shurikens, so I'm not even thinking about a repeater build.

That being said, here's how I feel about T5 Mechanic vs. T5 Swash
Exploit Weakness: procs on every missile, and is doubled by improved crit. That means every time a missile doesn't crit (70% of the time), I get +2 to crit threat for the next missile. So, next missile has a 40% chance to crit (13-20). If that one doesn't, my chance goes to 50%, etc.

Over 4 missiles, my chance of not critting is 8.4% (chances of not critting for each missile all multiplied or 70%*60%*50%*40%). Without exploit weakness, your chance of not critting in 4 missiles is 24% (.7^4). So while you're basically guaranteed a crit in 4 missiles with EW, you still have a 24% chance to have not crit without it. I would put it at about 20% increase in the number of crits you make.

I adjusted the spreadsheet number down from 30% more crits to 20%, to reflect this best estimate. You also lose 5 damage from thread the needle, 1 from SWB core, and 2 from Wind at my back. However you gain +7 from sharpshooter, and 3d6 SA dice, versus 1d6 SA dice on /2 Rogue. You also gain 20RP, and 10% Thrown attack speed. I adjusted all of the formulas to take all of this into account. If you look at throwing speeds on there for instance, the Mech version gets to use the fastest coefficient, since that 10% from Tier 5 Mechanic translates into a 7.12% speed advantage in throwing speed. With all of that taken into account, the T5 Mech/5 Rogue version is about 1% ahead in DPS of the 12/6/2 version (1535.7 DPS vs. 1554.8 DPS).

I'm not sure that's worth losing Coup De Grace. Especially since when I twist Pin and Whistler, I have a very high rate of keeping things helpless. And it's a nice +3W attack to rotate with Blow by Blow, which works great.

For a shuriken build, I don't really see any advantage to going /5 Rogue. If during a ranged pass they ever made SA damage scale with melee or ranged power, perhaps this would pull ahead a little bit.

However, for a Crossbow build, I have no idea. I haven't done any of that math  Tongue
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2015 at 2:04am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
gibbon wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 11:32pm:
Another thing I haven't checked is Blow By Blow (named after a game Cordo plays in staff meetings)

Yes
gibbon wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 11:32pm:
out of the Ass tree (that's the tree Cordo used to make his wooden teeth).

Excellent

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Fun fact, I was just emptying my TR and deciding what I wanted to fiddle with next.  Will look this over Smiley I am thinking if I can live with the -50 concentration... the epic quiver would give 8% doubleshot so could also use a runearm for best of both worlds.  Also, for the 20-TF gap I am thinking I might give alchemical another chance I have the parts and the shuriken laying around and earth/water/water and counting on them to botch saves due to number of hits or fire/water/water to consolidate seeker do not seem like bad dps.  Should actually do some math.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:54am by fr8o »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Yes, you do get 8% from the quiver. However, you lose +6 damage from Dashing Scoundrel, as well. So it's 10% DS and +6 Damage (which gets benefit from crits and Ranged Power) vs. 8% DS and ~20'sih from Glass Cannon. 2% DS is equivilent to about 2% of 33% of this builds damage output, which is about .6%of 1550 DPS, which is ~10 Average damage a second. So you're really losing quite a bit by losing the static 6 base damage and 2% doubleshot in order to wear a Rune Arm for 10-20pts of proc damage.

I'm working on a masters thesis but I'll try to work out the exact calcs tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2015 at 3:25pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I will admit to not having done the actual math yet Tongue it is what 4-36 on the glass cannon, but you also lose the Quiver of Poison d10 as well so taking into account the crits on the +6 and 2% DS.. I do not want to do the maths Tongue More power to you and your patients.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
You do know that archer focus scales sneak damage, do you?

Just asking

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Anyone remember what the rough dps/point of dex is?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:19pm:
You do know that archer focus scales sneak damage, do you?

Just asking

yes, but that's only relevant on red named DPS, which is the only time you might use Archers focus. But it's an important point for Rogue heavy builds.

DPS per point of dex is totally specific to the build being measured. FOr instance in this build, Doubleshot and Dex are roughly equal in contribution to overall DPS, since they both equally offer the chance of an extra missile per throw.

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:27pm:
yes, but that's only relevant on red named DPS, which is the only time you might use Archers focus. But it's an important point for Rogue heavy builds.

DPS per point of dex is totally specific to the build being measured. FOr instance in this build, Doubleshot and Dex are roughly equal in contribution to overall DPS, since they both equally offer the chance of an extra missile per throw.

Right, I think in this build each point of dex ends up 2 dps? Really not sure. Trying to decide +2 alch dex or +9 damage a hit on my shuriken
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:49pm by fr8o »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
fr8o wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 5:34pm:
Right, I think in this build each point of dex ends up 2 dps? Really not sure. Trying to decide +2 alch dex or +9 damage a hit on my shuriken

+9 Base Damage or +9 Proc damage?

IP Logged

fr8o
Dragon Raider

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
9 proc, if it was 9 base would jump on it.  I think the +2 dex is better, just not sure.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 6:16am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:36pm:
Yes to ToEE set. Already farming for the pieces. Not sure how to make it work though. No shurikens, orbs, rune arms, or bucklers to complete the set. Anything else will break swashbuckling.

I will caveat however, that right now the original Tinkerhell could use that set to be pretty close in DPS to this build.

Can't see T5 Mech being better than T5 Swash, but maybe Ill try to math it out. ExWeakness insane

I mean the ToEE set for the monk based build, since you give up almost nothing for a big boost to ranged power.  You'd have to give up rune arm or DS on the arti/bard splits, so the set bonus would seem to heavily favor monk throwers. 
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2015 at 6:24am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 9:17am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 3:24pm:
I'm working on a masters thesis but I'll try to work out the exact calcs tonight or tomorrow.

For a brief time I thought you'd found a place to do a masters in DDO build theory there. Smiley

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 11:40am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Apr 20th, 2015 at 6:16am:
I mean the ToEE set for the monk based build, since you give up almost nothing for a big boost to ranged power.  You'd have to give up rune arm or DS on the arti/bard splits, so the set bonus would seem to heavily favor monk throwers. 

Yes!

For any monk based build using the ToEE set with a SS and Robe would be tits.Including original Meteor Showers and OG Tinkerhell. It just isn't attractive for the Bard builds.

I really need to update the Meteor 1/2.

People will think T5 Mech is ideal, but it's a trap. Getting to T4 for Fletching and keeping perm tensers is still probably the best DPS. Since they use 10K the doubleshot from Mech isn't all that important. The 10 Ranged power is nice, but prolly not worth 7% thrown speed and 4 Alchem dex.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 11:40am
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Apr 20th, 2015 at 9:17am:
For a brief time I thought you'd found a place to do a masters in DDO build theory there. Smiley

OMG I wish

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 20th, 2015 at 11:40am:
Yes!

For any monk based build using the ToEE set with a SS and Robe would be tits.Including original Meteor Showers and OG Tinkerhell. It just isn't attractive for the Bard builds.

I really need to update the Meteor 1/2.

People will think T5 Mech is ideal, but it's a trap. Getting to T4 for Fletching and keeping perm tensers is still probably the best DPS. Since they use 10K the doubleshot from Mech isn't all that important. The 10 Ranged power is nice, but prolly not worth 7% thrown speed and 4 Alchem dex.

What about the 10% ranged alacrity in T5?  Doesn't work?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint