Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thoughts on a swash/wizard based xbow build. (Read 1126 times)
vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Thoughts on a swash/wizard based xbow build.
Sep 3rd, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Following the u25 ranged thread it seems the 2 "goto" xbow builds are currently:

Rogue 18/something 2(or rogue 20)
Paladin 14/rogue 5/something 1

I've played around with the Holy repeater build, and while it's fun I really miss the utility of an arcane caster. UMD is great and all, but I hate relying so much on scrolls and wands so having the ability to be self sufficient without a ton of scrolls is a big plus in my book. I'm wondering if there isn't another build that could fit in between the 2 builds above, something with a more arcane base.

I have 2 ideas.

1) 13 bard/5 rogue/2 fighter(or arti). Full mechanic up to tier 5, harper to get int to hit/dmg and KtA and the rest into swashbuckler to pick up 14 doubleshot(10 from barehand offhand enhancement, 4 from core[Im only assuming this works, I haven't tried it]), 7 dodge, 30% doubleshot action boost, +3 crit confirm/dmg, 12-13% bard speed, etc..

Basically you get a bunch of doubleshot, uncanny dodge, some solid dodge and a nice bard base for displacement, DD, skill points, etc.. Should be more survivable and self sufficient than the 18 rogue version, though at a loss of some sneak attack damage. Less survivable than paladin but more utility and a different flavor.

2) 12 wizard/5 rogue/3 bard. It's extremely tight with AP, but you can squeeze out 21 points into palemaster for wraith form and some solid healing. Same harper tree points for int to hit/dmg and KtA. Full T5 mechanic as usual, except if you give up the 3 points for T5 rapid fire(10% doubleshot) you have just enough points to reach the 10% doubleshot from swashbuckler while gaining another 2% from core skills and 20% from action boost. You end up with 8 dodge which you can probably push to at least 20 with items so combined with displacement and 25% incorp is some solid miss chances.

Another option is to drop the bard altogether and just go 13 wiz for level 7 spells and go fighter 2 for feats, or 15 wiz for level 8 spells and a 3rd bonus feat(extend is useful here for displacement and tenser's).

In theory these builds sound good, or at least fun(to me), though I'm wondering if I'm putting too much value on doubleshot and miss chances from dodge/incorp. You're missing out on some SA dice, though I'm hoping the extra doubleshot and crit confirm/dmg can make up for it. The wizard version probably has the least pure damage potential, but great crowd control ability due to good DCs from being an int build. Could lock a lot of enemies down while you systematically snipe them one by one.

Pipe dream or sound somewhat viable?

IP Logged

Holyavatar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Thoughts on a swash/wizard based xbow build.
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
meh..swashbucklers can only use finesseable or thrown weapons..and u were using scrolls to heal?so u dont have cocoons?or not being a OP bladeforged Roll Eyes? btw, 20 rouge or 18/2..14 pal/6 rouge or 14 pal/5rouge/1 are the best mech build dps wise.. Wink and they are all self sufficient if u play them rite.. Talking about ur wizard build,it lost huge dps from holy sword and rouge lv 18 core,and only get some survivabilities.. u should remember dats a range build..u dont need displacement/specter form to stay alive even  in end game EE contents..CC? what a joke nao..i havent seem a pure cc wizard for 2 months in PUG..and there is no need to CC any mobs besides EE mod and EE terminal delirium.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2015 at 7:34pm by Holyavatar »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
give up too much without mech 18 core or holy sword. if you wanted a tr to 20 past life and still play as a mech, then pretty much anything can be shoehorned in with 5-6 rogue levels.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Yeah I had sort of a brain fart about swashbuckling rules. I realized the rune arm could be used with an xbow which got me thinking, then I saw the option to be in swash stance with a runearm and better yet with nothing in the offhand to get the doubleshot. For some reason I was attributing the "finesse only" weapons with SWF, not swashbuckling itself.

Still the use of a runearm in the offhand with an xbow seems interesting. It's basically an extra item slot, though it costs 2 levels of arti or a feat.

I must say I was impressed by the damage capabilities at lower levels with an xbow. I created a fresh level 4 the other night and am leveling them as a Holy Repeater, and the xbow you get with your level 4 veterans equipment is keen. With the 15-20 crit range and damage, I was 2 shotting oranges and reds even on elite(and almost completely out of visual range, the range is nuts). This surprise is coming from someone with multiple warlock lives and has gotten used to the OPness of chain blast at those levels.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2015 at 11:44pm by vageta31 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint