Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Suggest a Bard build/tips for 32 point first life (Read 7719 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Suggest a Bard build/tips for 32 point first life
Oct 4th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I've never been a bard fan, but a friend wants to try one and asked my advice. I have no clue, but I'm sure some of you do.

Can any of you help me out with a link to, and an evaluation of, a current bard build?

Or even just some tips on what to look for?

I really haven't looked at bard at all since before the *first* enhancement pass.

The bard will be a 32 point first life elf (and is currently at level 10, but I think still has a +20 heart) without much in the way of tomes and no uber gear.

The player tends to like to wade in swinging, and has some patience for clickies but not a ton, so a build that requires a careful cycling through 5 or 6 active attacks is not as good as one that renews songs every 4 or 5 minutes and has one or 2 active attacks and a few support CC. Ranger with Manyshot and Slayer arrow is a good level of interaction.

She's not looking for leading the kill score, or doing EE raids, just having fun in some heroic quests a few times a month. She's kinda bored with DDO, and hopefully revisiting an old fun character will help.

Anyway, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Suggest a Bard build/tips for 32 point first life
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
swashbuckler is easier to gear and  play than freezing ice build.

add 3 fighter levels for stance and 20% hp. 2 rogue levels for evasion. max perform skill. some into heal skill. dont forget balance for swf lines.

stats: str, con, cha as main stats. throw few points into int for skills and KtA if she has harper, some into dex for reflex save and dump wisdom.

feats: if human
PA
cleave
grt cleave
swf
iswf
gswf
emp heal
shield mastery
imp shield mastery
imp critical

the shield mastery lines are more valuable in epics and with guardbreaking bucklers. the only one in heroics is crystal cove one. also 20% hp in stalwart tree cannot be obtained without a buckler equipped. It is also why cleaves are selected. guardbreaking has no cooldown, no save, and can aoe on aoe attacks.

if not human then drop imp shield mastery until epic levels. The main feats to get are the cleaves. swf line and imp crit, in heroics as early as possible.

get tier 5 in swash tree for exploit weakness and coup de grace. haste boost from kensei. spam displace and haste. use cure spells. cast fom. insta kill stuff. fascinate stuff if soloing or running ahead of group. very fun things to do with bards since the pass.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2015 at 6:34pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 4th, 2015 at 6:33pm:

add 3 fighter levels for stance and 20% hp. 2 rogue levels for evasion. max perform skill. some into heal skill. dont forget balance for swf lines.

stats: str, con, cha as main stats. throw few points into int for skills and KtA if she has harper, some into dex for reflex save and dump wisdom.

PA
cleave
grt cleave
swf
iswf
gswf
emp heal
shield mastery
imp shield mastery
imp critical

the shield mastery lines are more valuable in epics and with guardbreaking bucklers. the only one in heroics is crystal cove one. also 20% hp in stalwart tree cannot be obtained without a buckler equipped. It is also why cleaves are selected. guardbreaking has no cooldown, no save, and can aoe on aoe attacks.

if not human then drop imp shield mastery until epic levels. The main feats to get are the cleaves. swf line and imp crit, in heroics as early as possible.

get tier 5 in swash tree for exploit weakness and coup de grace. haste boost from kensei. spam displace and haste. use cure spells. cast fom. insta kill stuff. fascinate stuff if soloing or running ahead of group. very fun things to do with bards since the pass.

Awesome, thank you! I'll really look good when I pass this along  Cool

BTW, I did say I was checking The Vault, her response was "The place with THOSE pictures? Yeah, report back what you find"  Grin Grin Grin

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2015 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 4th, 2015 at 6:33pm:

PA
cleave
grt cleave
swf
iswf
gswf
emp heal
shield mastery
imp shield mastery
imp critical

I would consider going 14 bard / 4 fighter / 2 rogue for the extra feat and getting the tier 4 Swift Defense enhancement in Stalwart Defender since you would already be spending points for the tier 2 and 3 bonuses. 

With Fast Movement from the Swash tree and Swift Defense, you have would have a 24% runspeed bonus.  It's addictive.

It's a tough choice between evasion and an additional 10% runspeed but if you went 15 bard / 4 fighter / 1 barbarian, instead of the 2 rogue splash, you'd be at 35% runspeed.  It's almost like having sprint boost running full time.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I've not done much with bards recently.  What weapons do you use in heroic levels/early epic levels, besides GS?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 5th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
I've not done much with bards recently.  What weapons do you use in heroic levels/early epic levels, besides GS? 

razorend and treason have best crit profiles.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 5th, 2015 at 4:57pm:

Once you get the tier 5 Exploit Weakness and the SWF feats, a swash bard becomes a rapid-fire crit-spamming machine so you want a weapon that has as much "on crit" proc and damage as possible.  You can be stupidly effective in heroics with some RNG xxxxx burst of heartseeking/bloodletting/ribcracking weapon that works with swashbuckling.

I used RNG until lit II greensteel.  I used greensteel to 20.  Sacrifical Dagger from 20 to 23.  Balizarde at 23 is tons of fun in LD.  You basically spam 2k+ crits on mobs.

As an alternative to RNG in the early heroics, Sky Pirate's Dagger and Tiefling Assassin's Blade are effective.

You may want to peruse this list:
http://ddowiki.com/page/List_of_Swashbuckler_weapons_with_improved_crit_profile
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2015 at 10:30pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 5th, 2015 at 5:08pm:
razorend and treason have best crit profiles.

15-20x4 > 13-20x3

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 6:58am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 12:56am:
15-20x4 > 13-20x3

Resonant Arms

Battering Barrage

guardbreaking

also 13-20x4 > 15-20x4 but that isn't as easy as necro pages or as versatile as short swords

also, also treason gives fort bypass and deception with sneak attack. razor is keen with tendon slice and 1.5 1d8 per. would rather use those than any other heroic weapon.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:11am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:14am
Print Post  
For the Improved Crit, are we talking Pierce as the clear favorite? It sounds like rapiers, short swords, and daggers are dominating the weapons list.

This is killing me, I'm stuck in meetings all week and I can barely resist the urge to whip out my iPad and look up feats and weapons Sad this is the most fun I've had with DDO in months, and it's not even my character, I think I'm going to have to build one myself.

Thanks all, this is great.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:14am:
Improved Crit

depends on what you have. I have short swords and necro pages are readily duped and accessible. if you have forest brushhook, litany axe, dream edge then take slashing, or bludgeon if you have skullsmasher.

if you have razorend you can skip taking imp crit until later on in heroics. or use it as a swap and main another of the listed bludgeon/slash weapons. because you will be getting expanded crit profile with it anyway due to keen.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:21am by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Thanks!  I have plenty of tome pages, so I can do a razorend easily for a PDK ITR with bard and probably get a skullsmasher on the AH pretty cheap for a blunt option.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 6:58am:
Resonant Arms

Battering Barrage

guardbreaking

also 13-20x4 > 15-20x4 but that isn't as easy as necro pages or as versatile as short swords

also, also treason gives fort bypass and deception with sneak attack. razor is keen with tendon slice and 1.5 1d8 per. would rather use those than any other heroic weapon.

Sure, 13-20x3 weapons might be the best overall/most desirable, but they are not the best crit range.

Meursault wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:14am:
For the Improved Crit, are we talking Pierce as the clear favorite? It sounds like rapiers, short swords, and daggers are dominating the weapons list.

This is killing me, I'm stuck in meetings all week and I can barely resist the urge to whip out my iPad and look up feats and weapons Sad this is the most fun I've had with DDO in months, and it's not even my character, I think I'm going to have to build one myself.

Thanks all, this is great.

Pierce is the way to go. There just aren't enough good options for slash or blunt.

Note that you can feasibly put off taking Improved Crit until you're ready to switch to TF weapons though, since you can use Tiefling Assassin Blade 4-13, Razorend 14-22, and Balizarde 23-27.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 7th, 2015 at 11:25pm:
best crit range.

i mean, if you wanna keep nitpicking neither is 15-20x4, so

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 7th, 2015 at 11:30pm:
i mean, if you wanna keep nitpicking neither is 15-20x4, so

Pretty sure it is...in the context of "heroic levels/early epic levels", unless you're counting balizarde.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:20am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:12am:
Pretty sure it is...in the context of "heroic levels

brush hook would be at 13-20 x4

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:28am
Print Post  
13 wiz/4 fighter/3 bard  Wink

The funnest and most survivable bard build to date for me personally. Its helped me knock out PDK and wizard lives, and its been great for doung the last 2 martial EPLs I needed for epic completionist.

But it does have a lot of active clickies and attacks.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:20am:
brush hook would be at 13-20 x4

Ah you got me. Still I wouldn't recommend that one.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 5:44am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 4:46am:
I wouldn't recommend that one.

agreed.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 8:27am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 7th, 2015 at 11:25pm:
Note that you can feasibly put off taking Improved Crit until you're ready to switch to TF weapons though, since you can use Tiefling Assassin Blade 4-13, Razorend 14-22, and Balizarde 23-27.

Hmmm, I like that option, her feats are bugged and I don't know if she still has her free heart, skipping Imp Crit could cover for the loss of a feat. I love Orchard, so that's not a problem. I hate 3BC, but heroics below 14 are easy enough with a loot gen or maybe cannith crafted keen. Or maybe the AH can provide a sanity preserving alternative to grinding 3BC  Grin

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 8:27am:
Hmmm, I like that option, her feats are bugged and I don't know if she still has her free heart, skipping Imp Crit could cover for the loss of a feat. I love Orchard, so that's not a problem. I hate 3BC, but heroics below 14 are easy enough with a loot gen or maybe cannith crafted keen. Or maybe the AH can provide a sanity preserving alternative to grinding 3BC  Grin

TAB is not hard to get. That rare spawns every time.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:24am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 11:38pm:

Cool, thanks! I farmed for Striani's Hand Cannon or whatever the name of the 3BC rune arm, but gave up after a few months. If TAB isn't bad I'll try it, I always feel more satisfaction when I get it directly than when I buy it.

EDIT: And BTW, I started re-speccing my bard, and *my* feats are bugged too! We both have no level 3 feats on our bards, WTF?! Was this a bug with bards? My other characters that survived The Enhancement Crash came through with the correct number of feats, but the 2 bards I know both got screwed  Huh
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:26am by Meursault »  

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 11:38pm:

True, but the drop rate is absolutely abysmal in that chest.  It literally took me 3 lives maxing out slayers in 3BC to get it to drop.

Also, do not overlook the Skullsmasher out of Crucible.  It's a great blunt option for smashing skellies, esp if you have some sort of fort bypass like black dragon armor.  I have a heroic normal, heroic elite, epic normal and epic elite for bard lives.  I take imp. crit blunt instead of pierce as well to make it even better, and my TF weap I keep at lv 26 is a light mace because light maces are usable by any class no matter what.  So if you are going to be chain TRing, or even getting just a few past lives of bard these may be worth looking into - they are usually available cheap on either auction house.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:24am:
Cool, thanks! I farmed for Striani's Hand Cannon or whatever the name of the 3BC rune arm, but gave up after a few months. If TAB isn't bad I'll try it, I always feel more satisfaction when I get it directly than when I buy it.

EDIT: And BTW, I started re-speccing my bard, and *my* feats are bugged too! We both have no level 3 feats on our bards, WTF?! Was this a bug with bards? My other characters that survived The Enhancement Crash came through with the correct number of feats, but the 2 bards I know both got screwed  Huh

If you had dragonmark feats or something else that became obsolete, then you should have a feat respec token in your feat list. Go see Fred. If that doesn't work,...well that was the reason they gave out those +20 hearts, remember?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 2:11pm:
True, but the drop rate is absolutely abysmal in that chest.  It literally took me 3 lives maxing out slayers in 3BC to get it to drop.

I'm pretty sure they upped the drop rate at some point. I never farmed for it before, but both time I bothered going out there recently I pulled one (after a reroll or 2.)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint