Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Warlock help (Read 7371 times)
wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Warlock help
Nov 4th, 2015 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Hello everyone, wondering if I could ask for some assistance on a good build for a warlock.
if anyone can shed some guidance that would be awesome.
yes I would like to kill everything. but so far my warlocks have sucked.
any help would be awesome.
thanks.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Warlock help
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 1:41am
Print Post  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
1. Be warlock.
2. Invest AP.
3. ???
4. Profit!

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
thanks 5 foot, really appreciate it.
any chance you can help with the AP placement. I know I am probably asking too much, if you want to pm me that's fine, and yes I am probably being lazy, my caster as all the caster past lives but im not a completionest, but will give this a go next week. looks awesome.
thanks man for your help.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I realize that what I'm about to say is an incredibly unhelpful statement but dear god, how can you have played enough casters to have "all the caster past lives" and claim to not have a clue how to make intelligent AP choices on your own in regards to a Warlock?  Warlocks are so stupidly overpowered, I don't see how you can build one that "sucked" unless you went full retard on melee.

DCs and spellpower are pretty basic concepts in DDO.  They work the same regardless of which class you're playing.  For DC casting on a warlock, you go Cha, Con, Int in that order.  For pew pew on a warlock, you go Int/Cha, Con in that order.  Pick the DC or pew pew APs accordingly. 

Pile on as much stacking +DC or +spellpower gear as you can get.  Then sleepwalk through HE and EE content until you get bored at the lack of challenge and TR into a class/build that takes more than 2 buttons and 3 brains cells to play.

Edit:  I personally don't see the point in a DC casting warlock.  There's nothing wrong with it per se.  It's just that a good pew pew or boom boom (AE) warlock kills entire crowds of trash mobs so fast that DC casting and CC'ing is just slow lane version.  To each their own though.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:31pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Oh no I understand your statement Digi, and yes part of me is Lazy, I agree, but sometimes when I look at the enhancements they done make sense,
especially pally stuff, needed help with that one, as some of the stuff I don't know what synergizes with what.
and unfortunately I don't get to make too many builds to re try and test due to work commitments. so this is why I was asking, but I do thank you for your help man.
cheers.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:15pm:
Oh no I understand your statement Digi, and yes part of me is Lazy, I agree, but sometimes when I look at the enhancements they done make sense,
especially pally stuff, needed help with that one, as some of the stuff I don't know what synergizes with what.
and unfortunately I don't get to make too many builds to re try and test due to work commitments. so this is why I was asking, but I do thank you for your help man.
cheers.

If you're going to do a warlock, go pure.  The class is so overpowered that there is zero reason to splash anything unless you have a very specific build goal in mind.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on Nov 4th, 2015 at 6:34pm:
thanks 5 foot, really appreciate it.
any chance you can help with the AP placement. I know I am probably asking too much, if you want to pm me that's fine, and yes I am probably being lazy, my caster as all the caster past lives but im not a completionest, but will give this a go next week. looks awesome.
thanks man for your help.

The most important stat is spellpower and second is spell crit. Spend your points to minmax those. Then get as much Int and Cha as possible. Use Utterdark blast so that you only need to gear for 2 types of spellpower instead of 3.

Sorry, I'm not going to give a specific layout, as I've not done much with warlocks since the nerf update. It looks like cone shape might be best overall now, but I can tell you that chain is still way better at low level (at least until you're able to get cone and still have several pact dice.) I've not gotten very far in leveling that build since I've been neglecting that character...I've been mainly focused on raiding and grinding out as many EPLs as possible before cap 30 hits live.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2015 at 11:24pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
thanks man.

IP Logged

Coffeetime
Waterworks Kobold

I Love!

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Cone shape is the bees knees.

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 7:38am
Print Post  
I find myself doing much more damage using Aura and SWF... going DC is just silly. I tend to Drow or Morning Lord, Fey in Shiradi, max my CHA for Perform, use Utterdark so you don't have to worry about Force and max your Light, Devotion, and Resonance. CRAZY damage.. especially if you took Colors of the Queen 3x  Cheesy

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 7:38am:
I find myself doing much more damage using Aura and SWF... going DC is just silly. I tend to Drow or Morning Lord.

I guess you take Harper for Int to damage. What about PDK for CHA to Damage? Dwarfen Lock with TYWA? Pure or splash? Sounds a bit like Aura SWF Lock is what Eldrich Knight should be.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2015 at 11:25am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 11:23am:
I guess you take Harper for Int to damage. What about PDK for CHA to Damage? Dwarfen Lock with TYWA? Pure or splash? Sounds a bit like Aura SWF Lock is what Eldrich Knight should be.

Warlock melee DPS is supplementary at best; TYWA and harper strategic combat are just way too costly.  Instead, invest in the soul eater line for this:

Quote:
Greater Hunger: Your melee, ranged, and Eldritch Blast attacks do 2d6 Chaotic damage when striking an opponent marked by your Consume attack.
Your Consume damage over time is increased by 2d10.

Your stricken damage is increased by 4d6.

Which comes out to around ~50 damage per hit, but also boosts burst/blast damage, stricken, consume AND melee damage.  This is way more damage than you'd get with TYWA or harper. 

A lot of your melee DPS is based on spellpower (~200 damage per hit total with greater hunger and spiritual retribution)r.  I wouldn't bother investing more than that, and maybe one or two TWF or SWF feats. 
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2015 at 4:14pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Thanks.

AtomicMew wrote on Nov 13th, 2015 at 4:12pm:
Warlock melee DPS is supplementary at best; TYWA and harper strategic combat are just way too costly.  Instead, invest in the soul eater line for this:

Which comes out to around ~50 damage per hit, but also boosts burst/blast damage, stricken, consume AND melee damage.  This is way more damage than you'd get with TYWA or harper. 

A lot of your melee DPS is based on spellpower (~200 damage per hit total with greater hunger and spiritual retribution)r.  I wouldn't bother investing more than that, and maybe one or two TWF or SWF feats. 

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

gibbon
Dragon Raider

smhma in a cube

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
If you solo Bewitching Blast is easy mode. Chain shape is lower damage but lets you do stupidly funny stuff like chain around a corner to confuse mobs that can't see you. As soon as you confuse 1 enemy the others all turn to curb stomp their buddy.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Cheesy

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

wogoflove
Korthos Resident

Stop Breathing......

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
ok so I know its an update and im lazy but I made a deep gnome warlock (has 1 wiz at the moment to see if I like it)
we asking around and advised to go tower shield and heavy armor and be a tanklock. use my aura with burst and blast,
now I have the issue of arcane spell failure on my blast and burst.
is this all fucked up???
or doesn't this get better in epic? im only 15 at the moment.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
wogoflove wrote on Apr 4th, 2016 at 5:45pm:
ok so I know its an update and im lazy but I made a deep gnome warlock (has 1 wiz at the moment to see if I like it)
we asking around and advised to go tower shield and heavy armor and be a tanklock. use my aura with burst and blast,
now I have the issue of arcane spell failure on my blast and burst.
is this all fucked up???
or doesn't this get better in epic? im only 15 at the moment.

Skyvault shield is a tower shield with no arcane spell failure.  Use the highest level blue augment with ASF reduction you can (up to 15%).  Also medium armor may be just fine for you instead of heavy.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2016 at 9:47pm by DoRayEgon »  

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 1:27am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469463-Basic-GOO

Swap some ED points around to drop the healing abilities for more AC and Rez SLA.

Medium armor has no ASF with ES. Wall of Wood is cancelled out by -15% augment, but provides 40% HAMP which you stack with iron mits 60%.

This is about as face-roll a build as I've ever seen.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:49am
Print Post  
There are essentially 4 basic ways to build a Warlock (18 - 20 levels of warlock.  Splash builds are another story.)

1.  Bursting Enlightened Spirit tier 5 with Tainted scholar Tier 3 or 4.  This is basically the tankish build, most go CON based now, but CHA is viable.  You simply use your bursts to blow crap up.  Energy burst is a good twist on this build.  Other casting is kept to a minimum to keep rotating bursts. 

2.  Enlightened Spirit Tier 5 with Soul Eater Tier 4.  CHA based usually.  On this one you use your bursts but supplement it with the SLAs from Soul Eater (Consume/Stricken, etc) for damage.

3.  Soul Eater Tier 5 with Enlightened Spirit Tier 4 and Celestial Spirit for defense.  No bursts, aura for defense only.  Use SLAs with tier 5 soul eater for damage. 

4.  Soul Eater and Tainted Scholar.  This is the most pew pew build.  No aura.  Which one you tier 5 in is up to you.  You will use cone shape and blast away while throwing spells here and there.  Little defense, play as a ranged character.

There are variations within, but these 4 are the basic Warlock builds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint