Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 12 wiz 6 rog 2 arti xbow trapper (Read 5502 times)
Sailias
Dragon Raider

12 wiz 6 rog 2 arti xbow trapper
Feb 17th, 2016 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Well, this is my first build post here, hopefully it ends up okay.

I've been toying with this build for quite some time, and I'm pretty sure this is some of the best not-20-levels-of-rogue xbow damage you can get. I know other builds may have slightly better dps, but I wanted a toon that would have insane utility and the fun tricks that a technically-wizard can give you.

12 wizard is enough for Wraith Form, which looks really cool and gives a good incorporeal chance. You also have the option of going down the EK tree, which actually does work with ranged weapons. 12 wizard also gives you a huge swath of utility spells, including buffs that you'd miss out on as an only rogue toon. You also get easy access to the repair spells, which I find helpful.

I am playing this out in heroics right now and I really like its feel, EK gives some great survivability options despite being mostly shit, and of course the mech tree is balls-to-the-wall op.

12 Wizard 6 Rogue 2 Arti
Race: Warforged/Bladeforged

Max int, put 18 points in dex (+5 tome or better required), rest in con.

Max Search, Spot, DD, OL, UMD, Repair.

Level order: 2 levels of arti (get rune arm asap), 6 levels of rogue (rush int/dam core enhancement so you can spec out of harper asap), rest wizard.

Arti spells are conjure bolts and enchant weapon.

Wizard spells are anything - 12 levels of wizard is a lot. You'll be able to get GH, though, which is awesome no matter what level you are.

For feats, be sure to pick up improved precise shot by 20, and take extend/quicken for your bonus feats.

So, uh, anyone have any ideas? I would love tips on how to refine this.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Re: 12 wiz 6 rog 2 arti xbow trapper
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 1:02am:
I'm pretty sure this is some of the best not-20-levels-of-rogue xbow damage you can get

Best GxB build: 18 Rogue / 2 Arti
Best RxB build: 13 Rogue / 6 Ranger / 1 Arti OR 12 Rogue / 6 Ranger / 2 Arti (Depends on how much you stand still)

Both of those are not 20 levels of Rogue but are "Rogue primaries". Did you intend to say that instead?

Utility wise, a Rogue gets insane UMD levels and 12 Wizard only gives access to level 6 spells, all of which can be scrolled as they only require 39 UMD for a 1 Arti. In short, your UMD gives you access to more spells than your 12 Wizard levels. A primary Ranger or Fighter variant would put out quite a bit more DPS as well with only loosing the barest minimal of utility.

Also is this supposed to be a heroic past life or an actual end game build as that can be a driving factor?

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 1:02am:
12 wizard is enough for Wraith Form, which looks really cool and gives a good incorporeal chance. You also have the option of going down the EK tree, which actually does work with ranged weapons. 12 wizard also gives you a huge swath of utility spells, including buffs that you'd miss out on as an only rogue toon. You also get easy access to the repair spells, which I find helpful.

Also you get constant self-healing using Death auras and heal burst with Negative energy burst. You will have less DPS but more survival.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 9:00am:
Best GxB build: 18 Rogue / 2 Arti
Best RxB build: 13 Rogue / 6 Ranger / 1 Arti OR 12 Rogue / 6 Ranger / 2 Arti (Depends on how much you stand still)

Both of those are not 20 levels of Rogue but are "Rogue primaries". Did you intend to say that instead?

Utility wise, a Rogue gets insane UMD levels and 12 Wizard only gives access to level 6 spells, all of which can be scrolled as they only require 39 UMD for a 1 Arti. In short, your UMD gives you access to more spells than your 12 Wizard levels. A primary Ranger or Fighter variant would put out quite a bit more DPS as well with only loosing the barest minimal of utility.

Also is this supposed to be a heroic past life or an actual end game build as that can be a driving factor?

Oh, I'm on the completionist track, this was never meant to work in epics. I'm pretty sure it would work very well in epics, though.

I know this is going to be straight up laughed at, but I really dislike using scrolls mid-combat. The second it takes to properly re-equip a xbow is a ton of tempo lost, and even using a nice mouse with a "re-equip all my gear" button I dislike how it feels and how slow the animation feels. In the middle of combat, I don't want to take off my gear.

So, yeah, I don't want to carry 12 scrolls to buff at the beginning and during the middle of every quest. I want to be able to hit 1-0 down a number line and buff, I want to spontaneously cast teleport without swapping my shit out, and the whole point of conjure bolts is to not have to spend an inventory slot on bolts (scrolls).

Maybe it's just me being pedantic, but I vastly prefer hamp + pots to scrolls until they just don't cut it, and I vastly prefer spontaneously casting Reconstruct without having to press two extra buttons and wait an extra 3 seconds in the middle of a fight.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:09am:
Oh, I'm on the completionist track, this was never meant to work in epics. I'm pretty sure it would work very well in epics, though.

So heroic past life, ok. I'd say go DC Necro + Enchant PM for more speed. Once you start getting your instakill spells, only thing that slows you down are red named. If this is you're first caster life ever on that character, then SR may be an issue but you will go through mobs faster, unless you're one of those players that does all objectives in every quest.

Seen similar builds and they were all fairly mediocre in my experience, but that's just the power gamer in me I guess.

I know this is going to be straight up laughed at, but I really dislike using scrolls mid-combat. The second it takes to properly re-equip a xbow is a ton of tempo lost, and even using a nice mouse with a "re-equip all my gear" button I dislike how it feels and how slow the animation feels. In the middle of combat, I don't want to take off my gear.

I think I can vouch for everybody when I say we all don't like it actually and if I can't, well then at least you're not alone Smiley

So, yeah, I don't want to carry 12 scrolls to buff at the beginning and during the middle of every quest. I want to be able to hit 1-0 down a number line and buff, I want to spontaneously cast teleport without swapping my shit out, and the whole point of conjure bolts is to not have to spend an inventory slot on bolts (scrolls).

Maybe it's just me being pedantic, but I vastly prefer hamp + pots to scrolls until they just don't cut it, and I vastly prefer spontaneously casting Reconstruct without having to press two extra buttons and wait an extra 3 seconds in the middle of a fight.

That is why, at the very least, a level of Arti is the best option for any xbow build, besides the prof's and reload feats it gives.

Since when does Communion of Scribing/Recon work while in undead forms? Then again, I don't own WF or BF so I wouldn't know but they don't work while you're in undead form to the best of my knowledge lol.

As for the scrolls, you only need 6 - GH, Tele, Fireshield, Tenser, TS, Invis - 5 (maybe even all 6) of which you can UMD earlier during a life than you have access to though I do understand the spontaneous part.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Since when does Communion of Scribing/Recon work while in undead forms? Then again, I don't own WF or BF so I wouldn't know but they don't work while you're in undead form to the best of my knowledge lol.

They don't, but as this is a heroic mostly life, so you don't actually get wraith form until 20. In epics you'll swap your spells to be the undead healing ones, in heroics you'll have your robot spells.

Quote:
As for the scrolls, you only need 6 - GH, Tele, Fireshield, Tenser, TS, Invis - 5 (maybe even all 6) of which you can UMD earlier during a life than you have access to though I do understand the spontaneous part.

6 is a lot, but it isn't enough. Maybe I want protection from energy all the time, maybe I want blur/displacement, idk. I started this build with the idea of using the 12 wizard lives as utility, in order to take the inventory management away from me.

If we go to 8 rog 10 wiz we lose some level 6 spells but only get like 1% dodge, and if we go down an arti level we lose rune arms.

I should have clarified this in the OP, but I wanted the best technically-a-wizard xbow build, so anything that changes my past life is a no-go.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Have you considered 9 Wizard / 7 Rogue / 4 Arti?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Is this just for a heroic wizard life, tring at 20?

11/6/1 seems like the best set up that case.

You could probably drop the arty levels altogether. I assume warforged at 11 wizard levels for reconstruct? leaving you with 7 levels to play with until capping. Front load 6 rogue levels for proficiency with xbows and int to damage. And pile on the wizard levels after, gaining displace, haste and reconstruct as the content gets harder. If leveling early without xbow prof is a pain then add 1 arty level early on while still being able to get reconstruct at level 17 and giving up rogue level 6 until lv 18.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:06am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Just go pure Mech, Human, GxB. It's the best DPS period. You can use of cosmetic kits to look like a wiz and just scroll the rest. Anything else is less.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 7:24am
Print Post  
He wants wizard past life Grand. Can't go pure mech.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Heh, I like the sound of this, I may use it to get some of my wizard bank mules to TR. I made a few when Pale Trapper was hot, but DC casting aint what it used to be  Sad I like the thought of not taking up inventory with scrolls on a mule.

I think one is a human from before I bought WF so I may go to 3 Artie for Construct Essence, but that looks like a fairly small loss. It looks like a flexible build.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:04am:
Is this just for a heroic wizard life, tring at 20?

11/6/1 seems like the best set up that case.

You could probably drop the arty levels altogether. I assume warforged at 11 wizard levels for reconstruct? leaving you with 7 levels to play with until capping. Front load 6 rogue levels for proficiency with xbows and int to damage. And pile on the wizard levels after, gaining displace, haste and reconstruct as the content gets harder. If leveling early without xbow prof is a pain then add 1 arty level early on while still being able to get reconstruct at level 17 and giving up rogue level 6 until lv 18.

Here's the thing, though - that second level of arti early on gives me a rune arm slot, which I've grown really accustomed to. Hand of the Tombs basically carries you through wiz-king, which otherwise is sadly a bit of a challenge for me on-level (not very good at this game Tongue ).

Rune arms are a lot of functionality - like in the Trackers Trap, not having to swap your spells to fireball to punt the howlers. Plus, it makes it much easier to get through necro 3's shitty rats. It is definitely a dps boost, too, not to mention some nice stats.

As far as leveling is going, taking the 2 levels of arti first, followed by all the rogue levels, the rest wizard does delay reconstruct until later, but it frees up a lot of AP to not have to be shoved in Harper until level 18.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:25am:
Have you considered 9 Wizard / 7 Rogue / 4 Arti?

What would those 2 extra levels of arti and 1 level of rogue give me?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:09pm:
As far as leveling is going, taking the 2 levels of arti first, followed by all the rogue levels, the rest wizard does delay reconstruct until later, but it frees up a lot of AP to not have to be shoved in Harper until level 18.

you wont get recon until 19 then. skip wiz king if it's too much of a hassle without disruption. scroll flame arrow for 1d6 fire bolts.

Sailias wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:09pm:
but it frees up a lot of AP to not have to be shoved in Harper until level 18.

insightful strikes can be replaced with accuracy items, and you will be having a decent dex score anyhow. shouldnt be an issue to-hit. int to dmg comes from mech cores.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
insightful strikes can be replaced with accuracy items, and you will be having a decent dex score anyhow. shouldnt be an issue to-hit. int to dmg comes from mech cores.

But that needs 6 levels of rogue, not 5 for just the t5 of the mech tree. If I rush rogue 6 it frees the AP from harper to go into mech.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm:
If I rush rogue 6 it frees the AP from harper to go into mech.

you also open up access to assassin trick

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:10pm:
What would those 2 extra levels of arti and 1 level of rogue give me?

+1d6 Sneak Attack (Level 7 Rogue) and Endless Fusilade (Level 4 Battle Engineer). Heading up Mech + Battle Engineer gives you lots of +hit/+damage for non-repeating xbows. Since you won't be using Wizard for most of the life, might as well have an easier time with the xbow from the start.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm:
But that needs 6 levels of rogue, not 5 for just the t5 of the mech tree. If I rush rogue 6 it frees the AP from harper to go into mech.

How do you feed yourself?

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Feb 19th, 2016 at 1:21am:
How do you feed yourself?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Mechanic_enhancements

Targeting Sights requires level 6 rogue.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:19am:
+1d6 Sneak Attack (Level 7 Rogue) and Endless Fusilade (Level 4 Battle Engineer). Heading up Mech + Battle Engineer gives you lots of +hit/+damage for non-repeating xbows. Since you won't be using Wizard for most of the life, might as well have an easier time with the xbow from the start.

That's a good call, actually - endless fusillade is pretty great. Weirdly enough, right now most of my AP is in EK for the Mage Armor and Shield SLAs - and the EK toggles actually work for ranged damage, too.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
This build needs to be a gnome.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Rogtard.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
I've used Arti 1 / Warlock 9 / Wizard 10 to pick up heroic wizard PL. Repeaters with 3d6 light until 12, then mostly burst / blast.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint