Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mechanic AA damage feasability? (Read 2874 times)
vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Mechanic AA damage feasability?
Mar 9th, 2016 at 1:46am
Print Post  
After reading through the Great Terror thread, I will say I'm intrigued by the build though I have nowhere near enough PL's or resources to pull it off. It did get me thinking however of how well the elemental portion of the AA tree would work on a mechanic build. I also saw the idea of using 4 warlock levels in a repeater build to stack 3d6 light damage on every attack and the ranger can add even more than that for a similar AP cost.

I just finished up my 2nd life with a Pally/Rogue mechanic, 1st life was a Rogue 18/Arti 2 and now I'm interested in messing around with some Ranger in the mix. I'm thinking something like Rogue 12/Ranger 6/Arti 2. That gives me 3 bonus feats from ranger, 1 from arti(more if you count heavy repeater that I wouldn't get from Rogue) and the ability to use rune arms. The goal would be tier 5 mechanic as usual, but then taking up to tier 4 of AA to get all the extra die on elemental imbues. Obviously I'd miss out on the extra crit multiplier from core 5, a few SA dice and most of the assassin tree. I'm wondering if I can make up for at least some of that with imbues.

The force imbue adds 1d6 at rank 3 as well as 1d10 to 3d10 on crit(doesn't specify what multiplier is required to get the full 3d10) and it scales with spellpower. With the 3 die increases following the chain you would end up with 7d6 which isn't bad. So on top of your physical damage, you'd be getting 7d6 scaling damage and another 2d10 from the runearm(non scaling). As the bulid is int based, you'd get some decent synergy with spellcraft and the skill points to max it.

From my understanding, nothing in the game is resistant to force damage and there are no saves so it is more consistent damage than relying on SA and crits. On the other hand it can't reach the insane damage levels that the former can when you do get crit and SA damage.

So I guess what I'm asking is, can this be a viable build if one were to stack up force damage? With all the free feats it'd open up different possibilities (weapon focus, insightful reflexes, etc..) whereas normally you're extremely feat starved. I'm not saying I expect it to crush through EE, but wondering if it could handle at least EH.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 1:49am by vageta31 »  

IP Logged

Holyavatar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Mechanic AA damage feasability?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Well,No one use Force arrows...

Elemental arrows are d8,and can get higher spellpower with LGS tier1,Scion feats etc.

There are some mobs immune to force...

Force arrow is only useful when beating the shroud portal....

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I rolled a 1cleric/14rogue morninglord iconic and spend points on AA and Mechanic. The good part is switching to a bow for manyshot. (You have to switch to bow to get the imbues to work on the repeater anyway). The imbue adds good damage for that level but I am not sure if it is worth the investment in epics, had to test ist with level 20+ on Lamaland.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:44am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Would need more than 80 AP to make it worth it I think.

38 in mech, 23 in Assassin, 22 in AA, 23 in ES, plus racial...

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

DukeOfQueens
Korthos Resident

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I've been working through some heroic PLs using 2arti/6ranger as a base with Repeaters.
22 AA for 7d8 electric imbue with the option for force imbues for things resistant to electric
15 Harper for intel to hit/damage and +2 intel

That 37AP alone is getting 100+ elemental damage per bolt at level 9  Cheesy with trash +magnetic gear. Think I'm getting around 150 electric spell power, hitting mobs for 400 damage a click.

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Nice.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
DukeOfQueens wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:53pm:
I've been working through some heroic PLs using 2arti/6ranger as a base with Repeaters.
22 AA for 7d8 electric imbue with the option for force imbues for things resistant to electric
15 Harper for intel to hit/damage and +2 intel

That 37AP alone is getting 100+ elemental damage per bolt at level 9  Cheesy with trash +magnetic gear. Think I'm getting around 150 electric spell power, hitting mobs for 400 damage a click.

Yeah, an elemental imbued repeater build is stupidly overpowered in heroics. 

The overpoweredness tapers off somewhat in epics though.   It's still respectable, it just doesn't scale quite as well as other things in higher epic content.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Nothing beats shuriken if you're just going for proc damage.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I'll agree with most of these folks.  My current alt is a shuriken build 9 monk/6 ranger/5 warlock.  The idea was exactly as you said, to discover if the imbues held up enough to make it worthwhile. 

At level 20, he's got 234 fire spellpower, with tier 4 fire-focused AA imbue (extra dice, didn't grab another element in that line), my imbues are hitting for about 150-ish fire.  As folks have said, in heroics that's quite enough.  I'm not so certain I'll be able to get an insane amount more of fire spellpower, but I'll find out as I dive into epics.  My gut says no, it's not going to hold up.  BUT, the volume of fire on a shuri build MIGHT bring it up to "okay."

I will say that I use Force imbue for when I'm fighting fire immune mobs.  It does indeed have d6 base, but it also has d10 crit...is that equal to d8?  I dunno.  I don't care.  I know that the damage is less when I'm not using fire, but it isn't omfg-I'm-doing-no-damage-at-all less.  With current force spellpower, my alternate dmg imbue (force) is doing maybe 120 average per shuriken.

The worst of all the imbues is by far the light.  Even on my lvl 30 main with 298 light spellpower, the tier 4 EnlSpirit light imbues on attacks are equalling about 50 light per hit...generously speaking.  For the amount of AP and levels I had to give up...this feels like a waste.  Is it more?  Certainly.  But, I dunno if it was worth it honestly.  Flavor-wise sure, but missing out on all the NICE things I could have grabbed from DWS instead if I'd remained monk/ranger instead of monk/ranger/warlock makes me feel that while doing this experiment was worth doing, the findings are so far disappointing.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:33pm by Jiudark »  

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Holyavatar wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:31am:
Well,No one use Force arrows...

I know plenty of folks who are smart enough to swap to another element, most often Force, when fighting element-resistant/immune enemies.  It's also pretty handy for the inherent Ghost Touch if a player doesn't want to have to carry that around on gear.

As for the force immune mobs in game...far, far less of them than fire/acid/cold/elec immunes.  I can think of only the named animated pile of trash in The Snitch as a force immune mob.  There is at least one more, but can't remember it...there are so very, very, very few force immune mobs.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:47pm by Jiudark »  

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
So my understanding now is that force is generally only used as a backup as it's easier to pump elemental spell power to high levels. I was working off the assumption that you could probably attain a similar force power as elemental and that the extra crit damage would make up for the d6 vs d8 die size.

After seeing my damage as a level 20 using Mech I'm pretty sure the Imbues won't hold up as well in epics though the options that open up by getting the free ranger feats would allow some extra versatility. This would probably be great for burning out PL's but not as an "end game build".

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
I'll add one more talking point in favor of Force as a backup.  The on crit d10 force damage seems to scale with force spellpower just like the base hit does, and on something that crits a lot more often than a shuriken, that could make up some numbers in favor of using force over fire (as an example element that I'm currently using).

But yes, again, it remains to be seen if the epic amounts of spellpower are going to fuel this okay damage in heroic to okay damage in epics.  It's certainly flavorful though, much more fun than I'd thought when warning a guildie away from doing this a few weeks ago.  I feel so cynical and hypocritical about it now. 

Although to be fair, he seemed to be under the assumption the damage would be much higher than it is I believe.  It's okay damage, but my platform's survivability is my main concern.  It's an eggshell armed with a mallet.

Edit/update.  Lvl 21 now, having done flags in ES Chain 1.  Damage was enough to kill mobs, somewhat more slowly than in heroic, which isn't a surprise based on expected bloated HP pools.  What was a smidge surprising was the 8 deaths across those 3 quests.  I don't think I died that much the entire journey from 1 to 20.  DPS is going to take a hit as I slot survivability gear in, reducing the already (expected) lackluster performance in killing things.

Update 2.  Now level 23.  LR'd 3 lvls of warlock out.  Dropped light imbue.  Was too hard to fight in EEs relying just on imbue damage alone.  The 3 lvls (and lots of AP) were moved to DWS ranger.  Still squishy as all hell, totally not my style, but at least I have strong, on-demand active attacks now and damage/crit multiplier shots.  Taking Paralyzing (trash) and Force (bosses) seems to make life a lot easier.  Helps that my shuriken is also an estar challenge star with imp. paralyzing on it.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:06am by Jiudark »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint