Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Cannith Crafting Discussion (Read 31524 times)
Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Cannith Crafting Discussion
May 12th, 2016 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475364-Cannith-Crafting-Discussion#pos...

Quote:
This is an early look at the main proposal for Cannith Crafting. As such there isn't much in the way of specific numbers and comparisons, but is more focused on the overall general design of the system. That also means that there are things that could change from what has been discussed due to technical limitations, balance, or any number of reasons. But we did want to include players in an early look and discussion so that themes/directions could be adjusted before it is all in place and only minor changes can be made.

We realize this is a major system with a lot of viewpoints and that it carries a lot of importance with a lot of people. One main consideration for us, is that all three forms of loot (Named, CC, Random) must be useful and work together. We are not looking to make Cannith just plain better than Random loot for example. That is important and was the basis taken when we redesigned the effect system, random loot, and named item direction.

Being a big involved system it is tricky to balance how much information on the page, how easy it is to read and follow, but I'll do my best.

New Cannith Crafting Summary:

Existing Crafting experience will carry over to the new system
    Existing Essences will be exchangable to the new system
    Cannith Crafting will be as powerful as normal Random Loot
    Marks of House Cannith will allow a 3rd effect slot on Cannith items
    There will be some effects unique to both Cannith Crafting and Random loot
    Ammo and Runestones that are currently craftable will still exist in the new system
    Cannith items will stil have options for Bound and Unbound
    Cannith Crafting will be streamlined to improve the crafting experience
    We may adjust the Cannith Leveling Curve
    We know Deconstructing is one of the most time consuming aspects of CC and will look into ways to reduce this, but I do not have answers as to how this will work yet.

Experience and Essences will carry over

All experience in Cannith Crafting will carry over when we update the system. The one thing that is being considered is we may combine the schools down to a single crafting school, in which case we would combine all of a player's existing experience into that one school.

We are also going to be reducing the number of Essences. Either 1 for each school for a total of 3, or just a single Essence. There will not be lesser and greater either. This is to reduce bloat in the system and simply a part of the crafting process that we feel does not need to be as complicated. As a side note, having a single essence could allow for us to simply have a Remover instead of a Prefix or Suffix Remover, simplifying that part of the process.

Existing essences will be able to be exchanged for the new one(s). And there will be exchange recipes of differing sizes so hopefully it is only minorly inconvenient one time.

Power of Cannith Crafting

Random Loot has a normal range of effect powers that can drop at a given minimum level. Then there is an extra lucky range of slightly more power. This is marked by having Masterful Craftsmanship on the item which indicates at least one of your effects is at the maximum of the normal range or slightly higher.

The plan is to have Cannith Crafting be the top of the normal random loot range. It is important to us to have a system where Cannith Crafted, Random, and Named Loot is all usable by players. We do not want a system where Cannith overshadows Random loot making it not a true consideration to be used. By holding onto the Masterful Craftsmanship lucky power ranges on Random Loot, it should help Random Loot continue to have a use.

Random Loot chests can go as high as level 40. Cannith Crafting is currently planned to top out at Level 33 Loot. There will be increasingly better Minimum Level 30 shards to be crafted (the recipe an item will state what loot level it represents).

Although Cannith will follow the slot restrictions of effects that Random Loot has, a player does get to choose which effects go on the slots of the item. This is a big advantage of random loot where you have to luck out in the RNG to get all of the effects you want at the powers you want. The system will still have a Prefix and Suffix. If a Mark of House Cannith is used, it will have a 3rd extra effect just like Random Loot.

Cannith will also have some effects that are not found in Random Loot where as Random Loot will also retain some effects, like Vorpal, which aren't craftable in Cannith Crafting. This will further giving both Cannith and Random loot purpose in outfitting a character.

Finally, there is a chance that some of the clickies that no longer drop in Random Loot could be added to Cannith in some form.

How will it Work

The current plan is that a blank item will have the minimum level crafted onto the item. Then effect shards will be crafted on which will automatically get their power set to the right amount for the minimum level. No longer will you need Strength +1 and Strength +3 shards, just a Strength shard and the power will be set for you. This is a cleaner system as there is no advantage to the player to putting on a lower powered effect at a given ML, and it reduces ways a player may mess up an item.

The + Enhancement value will also be directly tied into the minimum level and there will no longer be Shards of Potential.

Combined with the fewer number of Essences, this system should be much more streamlined to use.

Deconstructing is very time consuming and clunky at this point in time. We know this. The problem is what the crafting system is capable of doing. We don't know to what amount we can alleviate this pain, but it is something we will be looking into as we move forward with updating Cannith Crafting.

Leveling

Cannith has trraitionally been an extreme grind. The question now is how much of that should be reduced? We have the capability to reduce the grind in two ways: the XP per level of Cannith Crafting Schools, and the amount of XP gained by crafting.

Since we will also be adding in new levels of Cannith Crafting for new higher end recipes, it is likely also a good time to reduce the leveling curve. Existing crafters will hold onto all of their XP, therefore they will have head start on players new to crafting. And, depending on how the curves are adjusted, may find themselves with even higher levels of crafting than they had before the update. Meaning they may be able to craft some of the new higher level recipes upon logging in.

Other Considerations

Why not allow Cannith to put effects in any slot? In the new loot system, Named Items main advantages are that they don't have to follow the slot restriction for effects and get the Quality bonus type for effects. If Cannith also ignores the slot restrictions it takes a way a big aspect of what makes Named Loot special and goes a long way to making Random Loot useless.

Bugs! bugs! bugs!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Cannith Crafting Discussion
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Should be a lively discussion.  CC seems to bring out some zealots, some haters, and everything in between.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
There is no need to discuss.
Named loot should be nm 1, rand gen with good stats 2nd and cc third wheras cc items offer versatility for customization until you get the perfect ran gen drop.

Currently its ran gen, then named and cc isnt even worth mentioning.
Issue is that turbine will do it this way: Ran generated, cc, named.

Then we will cycle after a update or 2 and get some op named loot, then ran gen will become irrelevant followed by cc loot (like the time when wgu just came out and next update negated all our hard farmed +11 wundr itemst)

In short, no matter the ammount of thread plebs that offer their opinion turb always fucks up.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2016 at 4:03pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Fucking finally.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm:
There is no need to discuss.
Named loot should be nm 1, rand gen with good stats 2nd and cc third wheras cc items offer versatility for customization until you get the perfect ran gen drop.

Prediction: cannith crafting will replace rand gen, even if it can't achieve max level.  Why?  I haven't seen a "perfect ran gen" drop, not even once.  The chance of getting the perfect triple combination might as well be zero, even after multibox necropolis for hours.  Nevermind at max level.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 4:15pm:
Prediction: cannith crafting will replace rand gen, even if it can't achieve max level.  Why?  I haven't seen a "perfect ran gen" drop, not even once.  The chance of getting the perfect triple combination might as well be zero, even after multibox necropolis for hours.  Nevermind at max level. 

I have seen perfect rangen drop, but its about as rare as an eSoS shard(I'm pretty sure I got my perfect rangen belt instead of an eSoS shard...)

Over all the improvements they are proposing aren't terrible, but it sounds like you won't be able to min/max(EG: make an item with JUST a +12 stat and NOTHING ELSE for the lowest possible ML).

They may be less important, these days, but to me was always the advantage of CC - get a +6 stat at lvl 9, etc.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I think there is probably more perfect random gen loot falling but too many people don't know that it is actually good because they are confused by all the effects listed on them, or it takes too long to hover over each item to see what the 3rd/hidden effect is and so it all gets vendored.... not brokered or not put on the AH to be found by someone looking for that item.

Ain't nobody got time to look through the AH or broker to see what the 3rd hidden effect is.

Back in the olden days, you could easily and quickly know what was a "perfect item" and what was not by the description.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  

Back when we srsly played i remember them saying +7 tomes wont be in store and that they could drop in temple ee pt 1 and 2.
I was perma ransacked on 6 accounts for those 2 chests for weeks and i spent countless shards on rerolls.
After countless runs guildie joined for fun and dude gets a 7 wisdom tome.

Stuff exists, issue is that the lootgods never favor those that farm but the random dude who might vendor the good item after completing quest

(i just came back so i have no idea what the theoretical chance is for perfect ran gen loot but im pretty sure it isnt worse then epicing a fkn eross back in the day)
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2016 at 5:14pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  

yep

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  

Yes.

Like I've mentioned several times, I've been ransacking LE curse with 6 accounts every week since the lootgen changes and I haven't pulled a single "perfect" item. Even on the rare occasions when I get items with somewhat complementary effects they're never at the highest numbers, they rarely have slots, and they never have a useful bonus effect (if they even have one, that is).

I'd be more than happy to stop wasting my time and just craft a 23% ring with a useful suffix, a useful bonus effect, and two augment slots even though it's theoretically possible to get something better if I win the lootgen lottery.

Lootgen farming is not a viable method for acquiring gear with specific stats/combinations. That won't change unless they remove all of the common effects that almost nobody wants (insightful bonuses to skills, single element absorption, guards, etc) and move them into cannith crafting so those who want them can have them but the rest of us can have drastically increased odds of getting useful stuff.

Since that won't happen, CC is going to be the way to go.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2016 at 5:24pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  

We need to remember that max chest levels are STILL broken and cap out at 33-34 (on my phone and the shithole forums don't load correctly to look up mike's thread) instead of the level 40 NoWorries mentions. If they ever fix it, we may see more perfect drops more often. But it's Turbine, so who knows.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
To me, CC has always been about the twink. I don't even play at 30, just straight to the grove and re-incarnate, so a "perfect" level 30 item means nothing.

I wanna see an item be better than I can get at level. And thats what named loot has always done best.

One thing that post doesn't make clear, though: is the third effect added by Masterful going to be random? This concerns me since turbine has such as a raging nerd-boner for random shit.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  

You would not believe how many total dipshits don't get that.  They whine about the CR33 vs CR 40 and claim that perfect Ran Gen items drop like candy at halloween.  And CC crafting is worthless.  Fucking morons.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
To me, CC has always been about the twink. I don't even play at 30, just straight to the grove and re-incarnate, so a "perfect" level 30 item means nothing.

I wanna see an item be better than I can get at level. And thats what named loot has always done best.

One thing that post doesn't make clear, though: is the third effect added by Masterful going to be random? This concerns me since turbine has such as a raging nerd-boner for random shit.

Nothing is random in crafting.  You pick all 3 effects.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:48pm
Print Post  

You would not believe how many total dipshits don't get that.  They whine about the CR33 vs CR 40 and claim that perfect Ran Gen items drop like candy at halloween.  And CC crafting is worthless.  Fucking morons.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 6:45pm:

You could invent a completely fictional item and dipshits would still insist it drops like candy. You could also program a litterally physically impossible quest and people would still claim to faceroll through it "in 5 minutes"

Its very annoying.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - May 12th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Another problem is that half the players can't get it through their thick skulls that the ML isn't determined by the stats/effects anymore.  It's the other way around.  They make comments about controlling the power and choosing lower values.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  

There's fucking sweet and then there is perfect.
I've picked up several fucking sweet randgen items.  I haven't found a perfect one yet.  But I don't care as long as the fucking sweet ones are not unicorns.  And they are not.  The perfect ones might be unicorns, and I don't care if I can't craft them.  I just want to be able to craft the fucking sweet items.  Because I put in the work, and I want the reward.

They might have had a third effect I could give a rat's ass about, but the combination of high Enhancement Stat + high Insight to that same Stat or Enhancement DC to some spell school + Insight DC to that same school made me hang on to them despite the +10 Poison Resistance that I didn't care about at all.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2016 at 9:53pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2016 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 9:52pm:
There's fucking sweet and then there is perfect.
I've picked up several fucking sweet randgen items.  I haven't found a perfect one yet.  But I don't care as long as the fucking sweet ones are not unicorns.  And they are not.  The perfect ones might be unicorns, and I don't care if I can't craft them.  I just want to be able to craft the fucking sweet items.  Because I put in the work, and I want the reward.

They might have had a third effect I could give a rat's ass about, but the combination of high Enhancement Stat + high Insight to that same Stat or Enhancement DC to some spell school + Insight DC to that same school made me hang on to them despite the +10 Poison Resistance that I didn't care about at all.

Can you imagine if you could remove the tier you don't want, and leave the rest intact and open for replacement of the one you cleaned? I
Every time I find a near 'sweet' item, it's got some bullshit on it like Tumble or Deathblock. I would yank that shit off so fast Turbines grandparents would get dizzy....

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2016 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
They should just close the game before they mutilate crafting beyond all recognition. There will be so much disappoint and fail and bugs it should be the last straw for anyone who is passionate about CC..... Although it seems the last straw keeps dropping yet the same people always on the verge of leaving still stay.

IP Logged

LordHumungus
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 13th, 2016 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Well shit. I actually think the proposal is solid. Dangerous for me since I'm getting close to breaking the addiction. Played maybe 3-4 times in the past couple of months. I'm sure it will be plagued by seriously shitty implementation and maybe I'll break the cycle, but they have to chuck me this little glimmer of hope. Bastards.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #21 - May 13th, 2016 at 8:45am
Print Post  
LordHumungus wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 8:29am:
Well shit. I actually think the proposal is solid. Dangerous for me since I'm getting close to breaking the addiction. Played maybe 3-4 times in the past couple of months. I'm sure it will be plagued by seriously shitty implementation and maybe I'll break the cycle, but they have to chuck me this little glimmer of hope. Bastards.

I agree that this sounds like a solid proposal, but remember, the fucktards at Turbine could screw up bacon.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Shuy
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2016 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Solid proposal. As if we didnt have many of those already. "Enhancement pass", "epic shroud", "epic vale", "legendary quests", "reviving endgame" and on and on, they all were solid proposals and we got shit. Won't be different this time imho.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
[quote author=4E525F4A585F4C535D565750553E0 link=1463081490/19#19 for anyone who is passionate about CC.....  [/quote]

You know I've been pretty vocal about a CC update pretty much since rangen stopped being in line with it, and even I wouldn't exactly describe myself as "passionate" Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint