Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TRing the snowball (Read 4534 times)
karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

TRing the snowball
Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Now I'll be honest TRing set off a lot of my DM red alert stuff when it came out. Never warmed up to it as a concept. My issue however was aimed at the inevitable power gap that was to grow and create the issue with trying to balance content for new and old the casual and the active.

Ironically enough to see the other shoe has been inventory space and the lag around it. Now I was rather confused to learn when judging by it being treated like a revelation by devs that lots of stored shit causes lag.

I mean every time I ever went near the bank on an active day it was laggy as hell. Like the ladder bug it was part of DDO daily life.

So now they start with mail storage. OK good start as it was clearly an exploit of a bug. But really how long till they target things like TR caches requiring players to empty them before they hit say level 4 or 7.

Then what? Maybe make breaking items doing permanent damage a new champion or boss ability? They will have to if they want to actually kneecap hoarding.

Really if they keep gear being bound so its better to keep a stash for future lives then just acquire it via trade when you need it what can they expect?

They built the mountain and sprinkled the snow and now seem shocked by all the snowballs making an avalanche.

Or since they are so fond of calling it spaghetti maybe what we have is what a large gathering of Italians eat and drink and then hit the toilet. Wow have they been the ones calling the game we played shit this whole time?

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: TRing the snowball
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:41am
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:35am:
But really how long till they target things like TR caches requiring players to empty them before they hit say level 4 or 7.

This would be impossible. At these levels bank & inv space is probably still favor locked for the majority of players.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Now I'll be honest TRing set off a lot of my DM red alert stuff when it came out. Never warmed up to it as a concept. My issue however was aimed at the inevitable power gap that was to grow and create the issue with trying to balance content for new and old the casual and the active.

Agreed. Heroics PLs were OK until u17, but when they launched epic TRing I saw all those passives and I said "wtf are they thinking, they're kicking in the balls anyone who start this game 2 years from now". Idiots that don't know how to make money, they kill the golden egg chicken.

As someone said in the mobo, this game is called "dungeons and dragons online", it should be THE ABSOLUTE MOST SUCESSFUL MMO EVER, and they not only couldn't dare to think about that, but instead are ruining it. These Turbine employees are awewsome!
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:58am by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:56am:
Agreed. Heroics PLs were OK until u17, but when they launched epic TRing I saw all those passives and I said "wtf are they thinking, they're kicking in the balls anyone who start this game 2 years from now". Idiots that don't know how to make money, they kill the golden egg chicken.

As someone said in the mobo, this game is called "dungeons and dragons online", it should be THE ABSOLUTE MOST SUCESSFUL MMO EVER, and they not only couldn't dare to think about that, but instead are ruining it. These Turbine employees are awewsome!

WoW is by far the most successful one. That's why Turbine was trying to clone it

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

Ironically enough to see the other shoe has been inventory space and the lag around it. Now I was rather confused to learn when judging by it being treated like a revelation by devs that lots of stored shit causes lag.

I mean every time I ever went near the bank on an active day it was laggy as hell. Like the ladder bug it was part of DDO daily life.

So now they start with mail storage. OK good start as it was clearly an exploit of a bug. But really how long till they target things like TR caches requiring players to empty them before they hit say level 4 or 7.

Then what? Maybe make breaking items doing permanent damage a new champion or boss ability? They will have to if they want to actually kneecap hoarding.

Really if they keep gear being bound so its better to keep a stash for future lives then just acquire it via trade when you need it what can they expect?

They built the mountain and sprinkled the snow and now seem shocked by all the snowballs making an avalanche.

Or since they are so fond of calling it spaghetti maybe what we have is what a large gathering of Italians eat and drink and then hit the toilet. Wow have they been the ones calling the game we played shit this whole time?

This belongs in spammer's honeypot

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 2:50pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 2:50pm:

so Karavek = Sil ... interesting

but not really

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  

Actually, no.

Bad queries, poor indexing, mismanaged storage, or inadequate server provisioning might cause lag, but storing a lot of shit doesn't. It's not NP, it's not even O(N^2), it's O(N). It's trivial. If they claim it's slowing down the game, it's because they are too lazy to do it even half right.

There aren't more than 300-400 people on at a time these days, and even if each one had 100 inventory, 100 bank,  100 TR cache, and 100 Mail items, that's still not 200k objects that could be accessed. And how many of that would be at once? 10% would be ridiculously high (10% of the population opening everything they own in under a second?).

Even a mediocre DB would barely break a sweat, and that's with horribly over-estimated load. We aren't talking about an ISAM system on MSDOS, even single instance free databases today can handle 10k queries per second on off the shelf hardware.

And if they are still running off a schema inherited from an ISAM, then shame on them. For a month or maybe 2 of work they could refactor it into a modern efficient schema, and they've certainly spent more than a month or 2 dicking around with tweaks to the crap they've got.

People may say "yeah, whatever" to the BS about mail being a problem, but I assure you, if they go after the TR cache using that excuse it isn't going to go well.

Do you remember when they tried to change how you got hearts? How much of Producer Glib have you seen since then? TR is the last thread by which many players are still clinging to this game, jerk that around and the scene won't be pretty. I don't know if the players will rise in revolt or just leave, but they won't sit quietly for it.

Of course, that may be exactly what Sev wants, if he wants to empty the game so he can move on to Arkham then a bleeding kidney wound to the TR in the name of lag reduction might time things pretty well. But if the response is a vocal one it might not look so good to WB, so hopefully he won't try it regardless of what his motivations are.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Dood, you just used big O in a fight on the internet.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:17pm:
Dood, you just used big O in a fight on the internet.

Yeah, it looks like a loose asshole, it's to get Sev's attention if he ever visits -  there's nothing he likes better than fucking the players up the ass.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
pape wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:38pm:
so Karavek = Sil ... interesting

but not really

Nope karavek equals karavek look up my infamous a cleric tied to a chair thread. My best theory is my thread inspired sil. Who must indeed be lurking around d here.

I seriously am starting to find it weird that everyone is convinced I'm not a fresh face here. Do people just expect new comers to be shy or something?

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:02pm:
Actually, no.

Bad queries, poor indexing, mismanaged storage, or inadequate server provisioning might cause lag, but storing a lot of shit doesn't. It's not NP, it's not even O(N^2), it's O(N). It's trivial. If they claim it's slowing down the game, it's because they are too lazy to do it even half right.

There aren't more than 300-400 people on at a time these days, and even if each one had 100 inventory, 100 bank,  100 TR cache, and 100 Mail items, that's still not 200k objects that could be accessed. And how many of that would be at once? 10% would be ridiculously high (10% of the population opening everything they own in under a second?).

Even a mediocre DB would barely break a sweat, and that's with horribly over-estimated load. We aren't talking about an ISAM system on MSDOS, even single instance free databases today can handle 10k queries per second on off the shelf hardware.

And if they are still running off a schema inherited from an ISAM, then shame on them. For a month or maybe 2 of work they could refactor it into a modern efficient schema, and they've certainly spent more than a month or 2 dicking around with tweaks to the crap they've got.

People may say "yeah, whatever" to the BS about mail being a problem, but I assure you, if they go after the TR cache using that excuse it isn't going to go well.

Do you remember when they tried to change how you got hearts? How much of Producer Glib have you seen since then? TR is the last thread by which many players are still clinging to this game, jerk that around and the scene won't be pretty. I don't know if the players will rise in revolt or just leave, but they won't sit quietly for it.

Of course, that may be exactly what Sev wants, if he wants to empty the game so he can move on to Arkham then a bleeding kidney wound to the TR in the name of lag reduction might time things pretty well. But if the response is a vocal one it might not look so good to WB, so hopefully he won't try it regardless of what his motivations are.

I know jack and shit about coding but as a gamer I concur as many games older then DDO managed massive amounts of item storage. So it must lay in haphazard code.

I was not try to say the issue was some universal rule among games. Just another day in DDO was all. And I also think my tone may not of been clear I'd be horrified on behalf of any still In the game. I seriously can see it happening at this time and think the sentiment that DDO is on the fast track to the end for In house personal goals.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 2:18am
Print Post  

Yup yup.

Once upon a time the quest list in the favor panel was sorted by level... then an update came... and the sort got lost and filling that screen started to takes time ( before that it was instantaneous )... it has never been fixed because they can't get their shit together enough to fix the query/view/index that got broken.

Another typical example is cannith Crafting, when you open the interface and do some serious deconstruct, you'll no tice that there's a 'lag' for the recipe to show up... it's again a brokenb query/view/index.
My guess is an index here, as it also extend to the recipe once you have deconstructed, up to the point that fropm time to time you hit the query timeout ( and get an unresponsive UI that needs to be closed and reoppened )

Now lets go in a complete domain, where people do their database stuff the right way... Long ago, a Telecom Operator phoned me and my colleagues, they had an issue with the alarm list of their early OSS system... It was taking 2 minutes to show up. ( technical note : HP 9000 D320 Server, 256Mb RAM, single PA-RISC processor, single threaded, HP-UP 10.20 with Sybase 11 for the database, 9GB SCSI HDD with Software mirrorring ( LVM and Sybase Raw Devices ) )
After a short investigation, it occured to us that the issue was the size of the active alarm list... there was more than 16 million alarms in it.
So the view used to collect the data from the database table was taking 2 minutes to collect said datas.
( with a correct index, I don't want to know with no index )

We dumped the culprit ( truncate table ) and everything became fine again ( 1-3 sec to open the alarm list, just the time for the NFS mount + software launch ). Further investigation gave us the root cause : a buggy software in the telecom exchanges the system was collecting the alarms from was sending more than 60K alarms an hour to the server. We put an automatic size control in place ( 1Day ) so that the problem wasn't going to occur again, and everything was fine.

Side note : It was still working despite the long query time... compare that to Cannith Crafting where 3 second gives you a timeout. Shitty Database programing is shitty.

TL; DR :
The overal conclusion : if 20 years ago a database donbe the right way could handle ( slowly ) 16M entries in a table with the tech from that time with today's technology no database ( Sybase, MS-SQL, Oracle, ... ) should break a sweat dealing with the datas from DDO. ( and I'm not talking of the simultaneous number of queries... I'm talking single query performances, because concurential queries is just ridiculous considering databases are designed to be optimized in that domain )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:29pm:
Do people just expect ...

Can't speak for others, but, for myself, I play a turbine produced game, i have no expectations anymore.

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 10:17am
Print Post  
So the chair has been unleashed over this nonsense I started here. Now I feel genuinely bad for starting this idea here as I'm sure this is what started it. Next time sil think before you bring something from the vault to turbines forums.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 10:17am:
So the chair has been unleashed over this nonsense I started here. Now I feel genuinely bad for starting this idea here as I'm sure this is what started it. Next time sil think before you bring something from the vault to turbines forums.

Right? You have so much power and influence!

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
you sure like to invoke your " cleric tied to a chair " thread as if it has some famous or divine note.

I had to google it, guess what nobody knows that thread except you and you and it are hereby forever GAY AND RETARTED!!!

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Actually, no.

Aye, interestingly tho, there are server and client requests sent during looting the TR cache that may not necesserily be linear as per timeframe. I believe it was already discussed somewhere, that whenever turdbin figures out a way to stop a sploit including a bank/storage UI, we get to notice more lag appearing. They must be using some crappy   performance (as per time) algorythm (either because the game engine limits them, which is something they could never possibly resolve, or bcoz they just suck). I suspect its the engine that already binds them, so there is not gonna be an oui revoir for lag EVER. So I do not think that they are this incompetent. BUT: instead of honestly admitting these issues, they make up all sort of BS, which is really gettin' on me nerves. One could argue that honesty in PR is a bad idea, but in this case: turdbin had to come clean so many times, that this single one could barely hurt them. They are more like a 8 year old shoplifter who denies everything even after video footage proof and repeated attempts.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 7:15am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:08am:
One could argue that honesty in PR is a bad idea, but in this case: turdbin had to come clean so many times, that this single one could barely hurt them.

So much this  Sad

Having the state of the game as bad as it is is an insult to Turbine's intelligence. Thinking they can convince me it's because my mailbox has too many items is an insult to mine.

m4lacka wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:08am:
They are more like a 8 year old shoplifter who denies everything even after video footage proof and repeated attempts.

Smiley

IP Logged

karavek
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 3:48pm:
Right? You have so much power and influence!

Well of course I do I create reality simply by existing but then again so does all life.

Remember the power is yours!

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
karavek wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 9:45am:
Well of course I do I create reality simply by existing but then again so does all life.

Tautology is tautology.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
theres a fuck load of words in this thread, but what i can say all while ignoring each and everyone of those:

i told you that karavek was gay and retarded after his 6th post

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint