Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Strike with no though is sort of whacked. (Read 3549 times)
davenot
Ex Member

Strike with no though is sort of whacked.
Nov 1st, 2016 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I've been mucking around with the idea of a throwing Kensai dwarf  (yes I know, gimpy flavor..) and I noticed something funny. The 3rd Kensai core 'strike with no thought' (or dumb hitter as I like to call it) shows the crit multiplier for any thrown weapon you equip but only really gives the multiple boost to weapons from the kensai focus group you choose.

For example if you pick druid weapons I was hitting around 27 on my crits (26,27, 28, 26, 27, 27, 26,29, 28, 27, 27, 26,26,27,26,28, 28, 29, 26, 28,27, 26, 27, 27, 28, 28, 26,26, 27, 27 ,26,27,26,27,26 , 26, 26, ,27, 27, 29, 28, 26, 28, 27,26, 29, 26, 27, 26, 28, 27 with darts, without druid weapons as my kensai focus it dropped to 19-22 on crits even though it was showing the multiplier boosted.

I still have to test axes because I've just been using norm axes instead of returning ones which have a higher critical X  will post back.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2016 at 8:50pm by »  

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Re: Strike with no though is sort of whacked.
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 5:24am
Print Post  
It works for bows and shuri on my heavy blade focused kensai/monk. Haven't tested outside that.

Character's only access to increased multi on thrown/bow was through SWNT and it always works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Strike With No Thought: Passive: Your weapons gain +1 competence bonus to Critical Damage Multiplier. When you have a weapon equipped in your main hand that is part of your Focus, you gain 1% Doublestrike or 1% Doubleshot. Each Core Ability you acquire from this tree increases this bonus by 1%.

Looks like the crit multi part is supposed to work with everything.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
More weirdness, it def shows the multiplier for everything you equip but to get it on a throwing weapon you need have not only selected as part of your kensai focus group but to have also purchased at least the first tier of specialization for that group.

I know its a no brainer that you should select the tiers of specialization for your kensai focus groups normally but I was leaving any and all damage enhancers off that I could to track the crit damage easier. In the course of doing so I found the multiplier was only kicking in with at least tier one purchased and it definitely was only applying to the thrown weapon from your kensai focus group.

That's about all I have to report, I filed a bug report and plan on poking around with it some more tonight after work.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've been mucking around with the idea of a throwing Kensai dwarf  (yes I know, gimpy flavor..) and I noticed something funny. The 3rd Kensai core 'strike with no thought' (or dumb hitter as I like to call it) shows the crit multiplier for any thrown weapon you equip but only really gives the multiple boost to weapons from the kensai focus group you choose.

For example if you pick druid weapons I was hitting around 27 on my crits (26,27, 28, 26, 27, 27, 26,29, 28, 27, 27, 26,26,27,26,28, 28, 29, 26, 28,27, 26, 27, 27, 28, 28, 26,26, 27, 27 ,26,27,26,27,26 , 26, 26, ,27, 27, 29, 28, 26, 28, 27,26, 29, 26, 27, 26, 28, 27 with darts, without druid weapons as my kensai focus it dropped to 19-22 on crits even though it was showing the multiplier boosted.

I still have to test axes because I've just been using norm axes instead of returning ones which have a higher critical X  will post back.

Probably a Capt. Obvious question but you're not forgetting to take into account the +dmg bonuses for the Kensai focus weapons that you get from the Weapon Group Specialization enhancements are you?

Losing a couple +1 dmg bonuses combined with the rounding from crit multiplier bonuses might explain the drop in damage damage between focus group and non-focus group crits.

Edit:  Spreadsheet math would support this explanation.

Base dart is 1d4 with an x2 crit multi.  Assuming a +5 stat bonus (or a combination of stat bonus + ranged power that gives works out to 5 dmg per hit), an x3 multiplier would give an average crit of 27 with +2 dmg from specialization enhancements and 21 without them.

Roll up a gearless toon with +0 stat bonuses for Str/Dex and make sure you don't select any enhancement points that give +dmg, +str/dex, and +ranged power when getting to Strike with No Thought and run the test again.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:44pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Ya'll niggars pathetic for real: get a life.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:36pm:
Ya'll niggars pathetic for real: get a life.

Quote:
[]
Cоmpletionist (i.t.p.)
23.09 Posts per day

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Shit son, it was hard work making that money.

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:35pm:
Roll up a gearless toon with +0 stat bonuses for Str/Dex and make sure you don't select any enhancement points that give +dmg, +str/dex, and +ranged power when getting to Strike with No Thought and run the test again.

I had already reached that conclusion before I ever began testing. Please see my earlier post where I mentioned that I only found the need for selecting at least the fist tier of specialized because I was intent on avoiding anything that added damage. Making sure to avoid getting a ability bonus to damage was a no brainer, as is ranged power etc... It is also why I took the time to deconstruct a returning axe to test it's crit profiles in a mundane form. 

This isn't my first rodeo  Smiley

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I had already reached that conclusion before I ever began testing. Please see my earlier post where I mentioned that I only found the need for selecting at least the fist tier of specialized because I was intent on avoiding anything that added damage. Making sure to avoid getting a ability bonus to damage was a no brainer, as is ranged power etc... It is also why I took the time to deconstruct a returning axe to test it's crit profiles in a mundane form. 

This isn't my first rodeo  Smiley

Fair enough.  I posted that response before reading your 2nd post.

IP Logged

davenot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Np, I try to dot my i's and cross my t's when I test stuff.  Always happy to go over stuff with other interested peeps. I'm going to do the same on a bard tonight as well.

Has anyone tested the 5th tier assassin ability 'knife specialization' on throwing daggers yet? 
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2016 at 8:08pm by »  

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
More weirdness, it def shows the multiplier for everything you equip but to get it on a throwing weapon you need have not only selected as part of your kensai focus group but to have also purchased at least the first tier of specialization for that group.

I know its a no brainer that you should select the tiers of specialization for your kensai focus groups normally but I was leaving any and all damage enhancers off that I could to track the crit damage easier. In the course of doing so I found the multiplier was only kicking in with at least tier one purchased and it definitely was only applying to the thrown weapon from your kensai focus group.

That's about all I have to report, I filed a bug report and plan on poking around with it some more tonight after work. 

I wonder if that bug could carry over to the ninjatree capstone. A fists of light monk could take the cap but not be able to take the T1 damage bonus to shuri...

Why would anyone do that? I dunno.

IP Logged

PotatoCannon
Korthos Resident

Tater Nuts! Tater Nuts!

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 12:17am:
I wonder if that bug could carry over to the ninjatree capstone. A fists of light monk could take the cap but not be able to take the T1 damage bonus to shuri...

You could route the damage bonus from other attributes from other places (improved weapon finesse in DWS as an example)

IP Logged

Forest
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 12:17am:

And that's a lot harder to test, stuff like the Kensai, bards and such you can check with a instant toon but lv 20 monk testbeds are harder to come by and switching APs on and off on a established toon like that can get expensive really quick. Sad

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
[quote author=646B7467020 link=1478047779/13#13 date=1478207997]
And that's a lot harder to test, stuff like the Kensai, bards and such you can check with a instant toon but lv 20 monk testbeds are harder to come by and switching APs on and off on a established toon like that can get expensive really quick. Sad
[/quote

plz eat shit and die, plz kfanx.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint