Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mech repeater build question (Read 4003 times)
Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Mech repeater build question
Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:10am
Print Post  
For my rogue life I plan on taking it easy and going with a repeater build, I'm still in two minds about the level split. Pure rogue gives me the mechanic capstone (not all that impressive) a 1d6 extra sneak damage and (i believe, don't have access to the wiki at work) another special rogue feat.

Going 18 rogue 2 arti would give me runearm use (damage and a stattstick) and rapid reload which i'd probably have to pick up anyway. Of course I could drop to 12 rogue and get the repeated crit Multi from gnome enhancement but that would make me lose another feat.

Which level/AP split would you all recommend for a good build? (doesn't have to be geared for LE but higher level EE would be preferrable).

For heroic feats i'm thinking i need atleast

-Precision
-Precise shot
-Rapid reload
-Point blank shot
-icrit ranged
-improved precise shot
-Rapid Shot (thanks Mokune)

Am i missing/overvaluing any feats?
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:33am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Re: Mech repeater build question
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Rapid Shot is the "repeater speed increase one" you are thinking of the rest looks pretty standard/solid

For epics

Combat Archery 21
Overwhelming Critical 24
Improved Sneak Attack 27
Blinding Speed (or something else depending on gear) 30

ED Feats
Doubleshot 26
Elusive Target (maybe)
Embodiment of Law/Harbinger of Chaos (someone else might have a better suggestion here like Dire charge

Scion of the Ethereal for extended play OR
Scion of Arborea for the +2 Enhancement buff to whatever weapons you are holding if you plan to TR right away or soonish.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Both bulds suck.  Go assassin or kill yourself.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:28am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:50am:

Awww Princess Nut Nozzle chimes in with a..

RAWWWRKKK PRETTY BIRD RAWWWWWRKKK

I am honored and privileged.

Spelling's hard yo but we love you anyway.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:50am:

Is "ass ass in" something you scream on a regular basis?
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:26am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/61#61

This build assumes gxbow for moar DPS. The only build difference from repeater to gxbow is 3 AP from the mech tree spent elsewhere in the mech tree though.

I should update that post...

Also, gnome adds +1 range, not +1 multi.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:49pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 1:22am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:40pm:
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443343697/61#61

This build assumes gxbow for moar DPS. The only build difference from repeater to gxbow is 3 AP from the mech tree spent elsewhere in the mech tree though.

I should update that post...

Also, gnome adds +1 range, not +1 multi.

That build looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks 5foot.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:10am:
For my rogue life I plan on taking it easy and going with a repeater build, I'm still in two minds about the level split. Pure rogue gives me the mechanic capstone (not all that impressive) a 1d6 extra sneak damage and (i believe, don't have access to the wiki at work) another special rogue feat.

Going 18 rogue 2 arti would give me runearm use (damage and a stattstick) and rapid reload which i'd probably have to pick up anyway. Of course I could drop to 12 rogue and get the repeated crit Multi from gnome enhancement but that would make me lose another feat.

Which level/AP split would you all recommend for a good build? (doesn't have to be geared for LE but higher level EE would be preferrable).

For heroic feats i'm thinking i need atleast

-Precision
-Precise shot
-Rapid reload
-Point blank shot
-icrit ranged
-improved precise shot
-Rapid Shot (thanks Mokune)

Am i missing/overvaluing any feats?

I would definitely recommend the 2 Artie option just for the quality of life / convenience if nothing else.   As you said, runearms provide a little extra damage and an additional slot for stats, effects and augs.  The biggest convenience in my opinion though is that 1 level of artie gives you the Conjure Bolts spell.

Another option to consider for a rogue icon is 12 rogue, 6 ranger, 2 artie.  Gives you the T5 goodies from the Mech tree, imbues from the Arcane Archer tree, Sniper Shot from DWS, and runearms plus runearm use and the conjure bolts spell.  You get a nice mix of SA and imbue damage with this option.

I ran an 8 artie, 6 ranger, 6 rogue repeater build a while back for an artie PL and it worked well, even in epics. 
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 11:50am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

RemRemi
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
The benefits of the Mech capstone are too big to throw away for the considerable things 2 levs of Arty give you. The hip flask plus the passive +2 Dexterity and Intelligence, +1 to hit with all crossbows, +1 damage with all repeating crossbows, +2 damage with non-repeating crossbows, +2 Sneak Attack dice and +2 to hit when performing Sneak Attacks and too good. At epic levs when you should have at least 9 charges and the 60 second running time.

Capped Mech never runs out of bolts with fletching, not to mention having proper bolts for the occasion is a lot easier now that bolts are looted in stacks of 100, with fletching that 100 will last several combats. Breaking DR, extra damage from holy etc... the ammo aspect of fletching is one of the biggest strengths of Mechs, beats the pants off arty summoned bolts.

I like the runearm for sure but the cap will make most of that up, it's good to have the extra slots as well but with the sets and slots available now you can make do.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:45pm by RemRemi »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
RemRemi wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
The benefits of the Mech capstone are too big to throw away for the considerable things 2 levs of Arty give you. The hip flask plus the passive +2 Dexterity and Intelligence, +1 to hit with all crossbows, +1 damage with all repeating crossbows, +2 damage with non-repeating crossbows, +2 Sneak Attack dice and +2 to hit when performing Sneak Attacks and too good. At epic levs when you should have at least 9 charges and the 60 second running time.

Capped Mech never runs out of bolts with fletching, not to mention having proper bolts for the occasion is a lot easier now that bolts are looted in stacks of 100, with fletching that 100 will last several combats. Breaking DR, extra damage from holy etc... the ammo aspect of fletching is one of the biggest strengths of Mechs, beats the pants off arty summoned bolts.

I like the runearm for sure but the cap will make most of that up, it's good to have the extra slots as well but with the sets and slots available now you can make do.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Don't get me wrong.  I 100% agree that if min/maxing is the goal, pure rogue with the capstone and a gxbow is the way to go.  Repeaters may be a bit more debatable as the ranger stuff has nice synergy with the triple shots.  Even with repeaters though, a pure rogue is really good.

However, end-game hasn't been challenging enough to require absolute min/maxing in order to be effective for a long time now.  There's a bit of room for some flavor or QoL choices these days as long as the overall build is solid.

I personally hate micro-managing stacks of 10 different kinds of bolts and various quivers.  I'd rather just log in, summon a couple stacks of 1k bolts and go kill stuff.  Most of the DR can be handled by a combination of named weapons, augs, destinys and twists.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:28pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 11:46am:
I would definitely recommend the 2 Artie option just for the quality of life / convenience if nothing else.   As you said, runearms provide a little extra damage and an additional slot for stats, effects and augs.  The biggest convenience in my opinion though is that 1 level of artie gives you the Conjure Bolts spell.

Another option to consider for a rogue icon is 12 rogue, 6 ranger, 2 artie.  Gives you the T5 goodies from the Mech tree, imbues from the Arcane Archer tree, Sniper Shot from DWS, and runearms plus runearm use and the conjure bolts spell.  You get a nice mix of SA and imbue damage with this option.

I ran an 8 artie, 6 ranger, 6 rogue repeater build a while back for an artie PL and it worked well, even in epics. 

Hmm I do still need 3 shadar kai PL's so the iconic variant is worth considering. What I've read is that the imbues work with repeaters so i'll assume that works. In your opinion, how's the DPS compare to an 18/2 or 20 variant?

Also does anyone know if the rogue special ability that grants doublestrike and 10% fort bypass apply the fort bypass to ranged attacks? Many of the rogue special abilities don't seem too appealing for an int based arti,
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:40am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:37am:
Hmm I do still need 3 shadar kai PL's so the iconic variant is worth considering. What I've read is that the imbues work with repeaters so i'll assume that works. In your opinion, how's the DPS compare to an 18/2 or 20 variant?

Also does anyone know if the rogue special ability that grants doublestrike and 10% fort bypass apply the fort bypass to ranged attacks? Many of the rogue special abilities don't seem too appealing for an int based arti,

Primary imbues work on bolts, but not the secondary core ones. You need to switch to a longbow for the imbue to take effect, then switch back to the xbow.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:37am:

A pure rogue or an 18/2 variant is more DPS than the 8/6/6 version but from personal experience, I know the 8/6/6 version does does fine in EE and LE.  The combination of damage from base, SA and elemental/force imbues is nice and provides a fairly consistent level of DPS output across most situations.  Sniper Shot is strong and always useful.

Also, as you mentioned, the 8 x, 6 ranger, 6 rogue makes for a nice PL farming template.  You give up bolt summoning and runearms but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not that big a deal once you have the Fletching enhancement.  In heroics, elemental imbues are repeaters fairly overpowered, especially if you maintain level-appropriate spellpower.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:53pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:23pm:
Primary imbues work on bolts, but not the secondary core ones. You need to switch to a longbow for the imbue to take effect, then switch back to the xbow

Good to know, that's slightly inconvenient but hey, extra damage.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:52pm:
A pure rogue or an 18/2 variant is more DPS than the 8/6/6 version but from personal experience, I know the 8/6/6 version does does fine in EE and LE.  The combination of damage from base, SA and elemental/force imbues is nice and provides a fairly consistent level of DPS output across most situations.  Sniper Shot is strong and always useful.Also, as you mentioned, the 8 x, 6 ranger, 6 rogue makes for a nice PL farming template.  You give up bolt summoning and runearms but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not that big a deal once you have the Fletching enhancement.  In heroics, elemental imbues are repeaters fairly overpowered, especially if you maintain level-appropriate spellpower.

I might indeed keep this as a template for some PL farming. Thanks. Does that template happen to have been worked out somewhere already? If not I'll have something to do this weekend  Smiley

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
The benefits of the Mech capstone are too big to throw away for the considerable things 2 levs of Arty give you.

The damage is about the same. Arti QoL is more than just conjure bolts though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  

In addition to all the other reasons breaking the capstone is a bad idea is the fact that the runearm will be at stock capabilities.  You won't have the recharge boosts, min charge levels, speed increases, etc.  It's a really, really poor idea to take 2 Arti levels just for runearm damage.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Damage wise, it's 2d6+3 plus scaling and a 2d6 boost vs 2d10 non scaling and 6 ranged power,...if you actually bother firing the runearm you can add a few hundred damage every few seconds.

(Machination of Madness comes with 30% recharge boost and 4 ranged power, the other 2 RP is from an extra feat)
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:51pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Repeaters are not terrible as a 18+ rogue mech, but Great Xbows are better.

If you really want to run a repeater the deepwood and kensai trees are better.  Even the Holysword vesrion of repeater is better due to the expanded crit range.

If you must go rogue and still want to use repeaters the capstone is well worth it.  If you are using an iconic a 18/1/1 split will do just fine.  The capstone isn't worth burning a heart on.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 3:07am:
Does that template happen to have been worked out somewhere already? If not I'll have something to do this weekend  Smiley

I don't recall whether it has been posted or not.  It's fairly straightforward though.

Go Int to Hit/Dmg.  T5 Mech.  T3/T4 elemental imbues.  Enough in DWS for Sniper Shot.  The rest into SA.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint