Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company! (Read 52306 times)
MookieBlaylock10
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company!
Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: DDO Leaves Turbine/Wb! Starts new company!
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Is this legit?

Either this dev team was shit, or they were shit because they were handcuffed by TURBINE/WB.

Either way, I dont know what to feel.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Huh. They might actually do something different now. I guess we'll see.

Not sure if Daybreak's better than Turbine...

Edit: For anyone wondering, it does seem to be legit, as there are posts on the motherboards with FAQs and explanations.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:53pm by WeHaveLived »  

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
This is great news.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
The post comes from the mobo here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481715-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-...

Quote:
Greetings,

Today we have some momentous news! The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services. They’ve had a long, successful history developing and publishing MMOs, and we’re happy to lean on their expertise.

With the announcement out of the way, I wanted to talk to you about what all this means.

We're embarking on an exciting adventure as Standing Stone Games, a newly-independent studio staffed by people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for many years. The teams remain very much committed to both games and are thrilled to continue development and operations of these games as an independent studio. This is an opportunity for us to bring about our dreams while still working on two of the biggest licenses in video games. It's a huge honor, and for you this means your games will continue to grow and improve. We love to focus on games with a high level of depth and scope, and we can't wait to show you what the future brings.

Although a great many exciting things are happening on our end, you'll be able to continue playing the game(s) you enjoy with as little interruption as possible. Our development continues on track, and the plans we have already announced remain firmly in our future view. Again, although we are a new studio, we are also the same developers who have been and will continue to work on our games.

Our success has always been possible because of your support. As we move forward, this is more important than ever. The ultimate goal of our new studio is to continue to bring you amazing experiences. We are excited for the future, and we’re thrilled to have you with us on this journey.

Here's to great games, epic adventures, and memorable times with friends!

~Sev

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Also:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481716-Standing-Stone-Games-Transition...

Quote:
What’s happening:

The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online have been acquired by Standing Stone Games, a newly-formed independent game studio made up of the same groups that have been working on LOTRO and DDO for years. We remain committed to both games, and are thrilled to be able to take these games in exciting directions for a long time to come. Standing Stone Games will operate as an independent studio, with global publishing support from Daybreak Games.

What does this mean?

It’s business as usual for both LOTRO and DDO’s operations and development. Both games will continue along their respective development paths and bring you the content you enjoy.

What is happening to Turbine?

Turbine will no longer be involved in the development of LOTRO and DDO. They will continue on the development of their products.

What about my account?

Your account login information remains the same. You’ll keep all purchases, including Turbine Points, VIP subscription time, Lifetime Memberships for LOTRO, and any things you’ve picked up through the in-game Store.

Are you planning to make any changes to the cost of VIP?

We are always looking for additional ways to offer the best value to our VIP players. The cost and value of the VIP program remains unchanged, although it's possible we may offer additional benefits or tiers of subscription in the future.

What’s happening to Turbine Points?

Your point total remains intact. The name of your points will change from Turbine Points to DDO or LOTRO Points, but the value of these points will not change.

What about game cards like Turbine Point cards and subscription time cards?

You’ll still be able to redeem game cards you’ve purchased.

What about my Lifetime Membership?

Your Lifetime Membership will continue to be honored, and no changes to it will be made.

Will this require any downtime or impact our ability to login?

We encourage players to keep an eye on our social media feeds and forums, as there may be some periods of downtime while we do technical and other work in the coming weeks. Our plan is to of course minimize the amount of downtime to the least possible.

Will the servers be changing?

We'll continue to operate out of our existing data center, and there are no plans to change servers in any way.

What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.

How do we contact customer service after the transition?

support.turbine.com

Does this mean the games are shutting down?

No! On the contrary, we are extremely excited by this transition into an independent studio, and we can't wait to work on the game long into the future.

Are the web sites changing? What about Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites?

We may do some work on DDO.com and LOTRO.com in the future, but the web sites and social media URLs will stay the same. We'll be switching out some corporate logos and such in the coming weeks, of course, but if you've subscribed to us on YouTube or liked us on Facebook, for example, there's nothing you'll need to do.

How does this impact Daybreak Games?

Daybreak Game Company’s role as publisher for LOTRO and DDO should have no impact on any existing Daybreak games.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:16pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
This is great news.

No it's not. Sev is still the producer. Turbine have cut adrift the bottom feeders that hung on like leeches while the ship sank. The only qualifications the current team of Devs have is being shitty enough at their jobs that they were never able to be hired somewhere else. I'm serious.

Just look at what Sev and his 'team' have introduced in the last two years, the guy never had a clue about the game and never will.

Turbine simply cut the fat and all the underachieving maggots that lived on it, the irony being that if they had employed a competent team and producer they wouldn't have had to cut DDO and LOTR for another couple years.

What you are seeing today, is the 'Severance' package those losers bunged together because they had to hire themselves because no one else who had seen the last two years would. Remember that data center move? how well that went?   Remember what Sev is like when he speaks? or fat Jerry?  Simple fact is that somebody clever at Turbine figured the cheapest way to drop those paycheck fails was to let them play 'indy developer' to take the sting out of getting canned.

Shame about what's about to happen to the game though.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:17pm:
Shame about what's about to happen to the game though.  Embarrassed

Whats about to happen to the game?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
It kinda makes sense in several ways.  It has been known for several years now that WB/Turbine was going the direction of mobile gaming and dropping the PC gaming/MMO platform as their core focus. 

If the games were losing money, they would have shut them down and laid off or transferred the staff to new projects.  But the games were making money.  So, to keep the focus tight, you sell the profitable game to an investor/company that is interested in the PC/MMO market.  You make some cash and you can invest that in your focus area.  Meanwhile, the operational burden of those games and any risks associated are now mitigated. 

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
If only this had happened to City of Heroes  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:22pm:

It is about to be innundated with a bunch of idiots with no idea what the fuck they are talking about acting like they know all and predicting either:  DOOOOOMMM and Maintenance mode or The Second Coming of the DDO Golden Age. 

IP Logged

Scrybe
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
It means that DDO is no longer, and I paraphrase, "powered by its fans".

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
It is about to be innundated with a bunch of idiots with no idea what the fuck they are talking about acting like they know all and predicting either:  DOOOOOMMM and Maintenance mode or The Second Coming of the DDO Golden Age. 

So, business as usual

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Look at the bright side unless they fold for $ issues it means at least 2 or 3 more years of DDO. New company means at least some life in the license.  Firing Cordovan would be a great 1st step if they want to restore the communities faith.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:22pm:

Well Ash really said it best:

Asheras wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
It is about to be innundated with a bunch of idiots with no idea what the fuck they are talking about acting like they know all

So true, here let's look at a perfect example:

Asheras wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:23pm:
It kinda makes sense in several ways.  It has been known for several years now that WB/Turbine was going the direction of mobile gaming and dropping the PC gaming/MMO platform as their core focus. 

If the games were losing money, they would have shut them down and laid off or transferred the staff to new projects.  But the games were making money.  So, to keep the focus tight, you sell the profitable game to an investor/company that is interested in the PC/MMO market.  You make some cash and you can invest that in your focus area.  Meanwhile, the operational burden of those games and any risks associated are now mitigated. 

Oh tell us more! Whip some more pollyanna speculation out of your ass, Oh wise shill of the brown nose!  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:37pm by Grand »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Depends... 

It might be a move to save DDO and Lotro from Turbine going Chapter 11...

Honestly it would be extremely strange for WB to disvest the Lotro IP when it's the reason they bought Turbine.

Oh and no word about AC future...

Overall I smell a coffin for Turbine, and WB is going to buy that New indy studio in a feu month

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:30pm:
Well Ash really said it best:

So true, here let's look at a perfect example:

Oh tell us more! oh wise shill of the brown nose!  Grin

I didn't say anything DOOM or positive about the game.  Just that it makes sense to spin off a business unit that is no longer part of your focus.  I made no predictions on whether this would be good or bad for DDO in the short or long term.

The only thing I did say is that this is good for WB/Turbine to jettison the two products.  But that doesn't say (or even imply) that this change is good or bad for DDO.  As I have no idea how much the two products net revenue is, what they paid for it, how they funded it, or what their overhead is, I can't say one way or the other.  Those who predict it means a renaissance for the game are talking out their ass and those who predict it means maintenance mode and shut down are imminent are talking out of their ass.

OK.  I will make one prediction for you:  Grand will talk out of his ass, pretty much every time he posts.  Because that's all he knows how to do. (besides spam the Create Account button)

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
You seem upset. Gosh I hope I didn't hit a nerve  Kiss

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:42pm:
You seem upset. Gosh I hope I didn't hit a nerve  Kiss

He didn't seem that upset to me.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:44pm:
He didn't seem that upset to me.

Yeah you're right, he must have logged back on and immediately scrambled to try and clarify/justify his post because he was really happy!

I can see that now.  Wink

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Ash way of thinking is one way...
You have mine also. Time will tell which one is correct.

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm:
Overall I smell a coffin for Turbine, and WB is going to buy that New indy studio in a feu month

I would go with Day Break Games leveraging a forced buy out when Standing Rock runs out of cash before WB.

Interesting article. Trade WB for SOE. http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/4/28/8503731/daybreak-games-sony-online-ent... It is also worth keeping in mind the layoffs and how this ultimately worked out for Smedley.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:30pm by Darth Anonymous »  

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:23pm:

Spot on. Standard business practices here, folks. When a company needs to focus resources on their core business, they shutter the money sinks and sell the profitable non-core businesses. Turdbine/WB has made it abundantly clear that their new core is mobile gaming.

Flav wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm:
Honestly it would be extremely strange for WB to disvest the Lotro IP when it's the reason they bought Turbine.

I think it makes sense when you look at the timing of things. WB purchased Turbine in 2010 - seven years after the third movie was released, but two years before the first Hobbit movie was released. There was significant potential for that property to take off again. It didn't. Now, all three Hobbit movies have been released and the property is dead for a decade or two at minimum. Sell, sell, sell!
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:30pm by Strake »  

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
I think it makes sense when you look at the timing of things. WB purchased Turbine in 2010 - seven years after the third movie was released, but two years before the first Hobbit movie was released. There was significant potential for that property to take off again. It didn't. Now, all three Hobbit movies have been released and the property is dead for a decade or two at minimum. Sell, sell, sell!

Not to mention the nightmare of working with the Tolkien estate.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
Now, all three Hobbit movies have been released and the property is dead for a decade or two at minimum. Sell, sell, sell!

Fixed
Lotro and The Hobbit IP are about to be become public domain. That's why Saul Zaentz rushed all the films, it Washington the only way for them to make some money beurre it's too late. Iirc, they have 3/4 year of cow milking left. They should hurry if they want the Beren & Luthien tale out...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint