Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fresh Iconic Cleric (Read 1752 times)
rebelio
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Fresh Iconic Cleric
Apr 2nd, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
For a first lifer iconic, starting fresh on a new server, would go pure theway to go? I was considering doing 14/6 cleric/warlock, for being able to run quests solo if needed and also be a healer, but im not sure about the healing on high reapers, if the splash would ruin it.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Re: Fresh Iconic Cleric
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 1:03am
Print Post  
why would you want to play a cleric on a fresh server?
roll something that overperforms even without gear - to farm gear.

and when I say something, I mean warlock.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:42am
Print Post  
As far as healing, ask this question:  What does a cleric get from level 15-20 that would make them a better healer?  They have plenty of positive spell power and nobody uses mass heal.  So a splash isn't going to ruin healing.

A splash ruins DC casting.  No implosion.  No Destruction.  No Comet Fall.  No Greater Command.

Now, what does a 6 warlock splash get you in the area of DPS?  Your Eldritch blast is only 3d6 at that point.  If you spend 70 of your AP in the Warlock trees, you can get it to 7d6 (with a 10d6 burst and 17d6 spirit blast) and you can certainly get 800 light spell power.  But that is only 80 base damage on the blasts (and your crit chance is gonna be low-ish).  The burst and spirit blast will be in the 250 and 500 range, respectively.

It is something.  But the SLA's from a full sun elf cleric banging out sunbursts, sunbolt, and sunbeam and searing light with SLA's will do comparible.  And you will clear trash better with implosion.  You are missing evards and any instakill ability with the cleric/warlock splash.

Besides having average no-mana DPS, it doesn't bring much to the table. 
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:42am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:38am
Print Post  
The addition of 5-6 warlock levels changes your DPS, but it doesn't really lessen it.

With Tier 5 ES, those bursts are better AoE DPS then any other option for a cleric that I am aware of except for Blade Barrier. There is also a very large survivability component from Displacement and Shining Through, as well as all the MRR and PRR in the ES tree.

I just did this on a TR Fvs 15/Warlock 5. It was a blast (pun intended). Full Wis and DC build, jump into combat, drop BB, burst+burst, kite a little bit, back into BB, Burst+burst. It was a very strong build 15-20 for solo'ing R2-4. I had enough PL's and gear to make DC's relevant for both Evo and Necromancy however. If your DC's are lower, Ash is probably more on the money. Then again, if you don't have the PL's and such for Spell Pen and DCs, you will struggle with Destruction and Implosion even on a pure cleric in reaper. If you're after pure damage and survivability, then Fvs soul or Cleric + Warlock is pretty fun. I went evil damage for pact which is boosted by the insane amount of light spell power you will have.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:42am:
As far as healing, ask this question:  What does a cleric get from level 15-20 that would make them a better healer?  They have plenty of positive spell power and nobody uses mass heal.  So a splash isn't going to ruin healing.

A splash ruins DC casting.  No implosion.  No Destruction.  No Comet Fall.  No Greater Command.

Now, what does a 6 warlock splash get you in the area of DPS?  Your Eldritch blast is only 3d6 at that point.  If you spend 70 of your AP in the Warlock trees, you can get it to 7d6 (with a 10d6 burst and 17d6 spirit blast) and you can certainly get 800 light spell power.  But that is only 80 base damage on the blasts (and your crit chance is gonna be low-ish).  The burst and spirit blast will be in the 250 and 500 range, respectively.

It is something.  But the SLA's from a full sun elf cleric banging out sunbursts, sunbolt, and sunbeam and searing light with SLA's will do comparible.  And you will clear trash better with implosion.  You are missing evards and any instakill ability with the cleric/warlock splash.

Besides having average no-mana DPS, it doesn't bring much to the table. 

On the other hand, a first life won't get those dcs up without gear easily, so a warlock splash will add a lot of defense. He could go up to brilliance, sword and board, and have more prr, saves, AC and spell power

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:43am:
On the other hand, a first life won't get those dcs up without gear easily, so a warlock splash will add a lot of defense. He could go up to brilliance, sword and board, and have more prr, saves, AC and spell power

Sure.  Can't argue with ES tree for easy button.  It will be a slow solo on any red/purple named boss with decent HP, but you won't die.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Depending on what you want to accomplish, you can multi classes, add paladin or fighter or monk and melee with sylvanis, splash fvs or more light spell and critt power, add wizard for bonus feat, add monk for defense and feat, etc. could even go for repeaters with artificer.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 12:06pm:
Sure.  Can't argue with ES tree for easy button.  It will be a slow solo on any red/purple named boss with decent HP, but you won't die. 

This was largely mitigated by empowered and maxed BB, light DoT, and bursts. Red name damage was quite good

IP Logged

goldgolem
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Depends on your play style

I would go DC cleric all the way with BB, slay living, destruction and tons of direct damage from SLAs etc

Warlock splash would be easier to play though

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
goldgolem wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 2:06pm:
Depends on your play style

I would go DC cleric all the way with BB, slay living, destruction and tons of direct damage from SLAs etc

Warlock splash would be easier to play though

having the XP HP from shining through was pretty awesome. I coupled that with Follower of Vol +4 Con active Diety Feat and a healthy Con investment to rock big HP for big fights. Super easy button build.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:05pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 4:28pm:
having the XP from shining through was pretty awesome. I coupled that with Follower of Vol +4 Con active Diety Feat and a healthy Con investment to rock big HP for big fights. Super easy button build.

Is that a ten min cooldown?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:17pm:
Is that a ten min cooldown?

yeah something like that, its by no means build breaking but I couldnt find anything better. Maybe Olladra for the luck bonus to stats? That's average 3.5 to each stat, but more unpredictable.

IP Logged

rebelio
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thanks guys! After thinking about it i'll do 12 cleric/6 warlock/ 2 fvs Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint