Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sorcerer build paths for beginners (Read 13211 times)
Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Re: Sorcerer build paths for beginners
Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
The evoker is cha based. The blaster is int based for spellcraft, because damage matters and SP do not.

I was referring to the fire build, sorry for the lack of clarity.   I consider a fire blaster an evoker build since most of the fire spells are evocation.

Wouldn't going Charisma for extra points of DC be more efficient from a spell point consumption and damage dealing perspective than an a few extra points of spellcraft?

Doing full damage due to a successful DC check instead of half damage or maybe even no damage would have a lot more bang for the buck than the extra 3 or 4 spellcraft from going Intelligence, wouldn't it?  Not to mention the additional casts you can get between shrines from the extra spell points.

On a related note, I will respectfully submit that an acid "blaster" should be conjuration spec'd as most of their good spells and SLAs are Conjuration based, not Evocation.

The fire and lightning trees/spells are mostly Evocation.   Cold is a mix of Evocation and Conjuration.   Acid is nearly all conjuration.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2017 at 3:07pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
The idea is to minimize casting of spells that allow saves.

For no save blasting, you've got Scorching Ray, Acid Arrow, Necrotic Ray, Black Dragon Bolt, Meteor Swarm are all no save. With Shiradi you can add Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Force Missiles. For AoE, Wall of Fire and Acid Rain only allow a save on the first tick. Then there's great support stuff like Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill, Energy Drain, Symbol of Death, etc.

2 spells is almost a full sorc rotation.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #27 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:56pm:
The idea is to minimize casting of spells that allow saves.

For no save blasting, you've got Scorching Ray, Acid Arrow, Necrotic Ray, Black Dragon Bolt, Meteor Swarm are all no save. With Shiradi you can add Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Force Missiles. For AoE, Wall of Fire and Acid Rain only allow a save on the first tick. Then there's great support stuff like Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill, Energy Drain, Symbol of Death, etc.

2 spells is almost a full sorc rotation.

Makes sense but I will submit that Meta'd SLA fireball and Scorch with an occasional DBFB and Wall of Fire are the way to go until the late heroics and early epics.   Killing stuff with a bunch of single target spells like rays, arrows, and similar is slow.

Meta'd, SLA fireball with decent DCs clears entire packs of mobs quickly.  Use scorching ray to finish off the stragglers.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2017 at 5:31pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #28 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 5:31pm:
Makes sense but I will submit that Meta'd SLA fireball and Scorch with an occasional DBFB and Wall of Fire are the way to go until the late heroics and early epics.   Killing stuff with a bunch of single target spells like rays, arrows, and similar is slow.

Meta'd, SLA fireball with decent DCs clears entire packs of mobs quickly.  Use scorching ray to finish off the stragglers.

There's no point in ignoring the DC build, if you want DCs use the DC build.  It's more important IMO to position the blaster to transition into shiradi for epics.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #29 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:04am:
There's no point in ignoring the DC build, if you want DCs use the DC build.  It's more important IMO to position the blaster to transition into shiradi for epics.

I see.

I was under the impression these builds were designed to get a new player to 20 without making their initial leveling up experience miserable?  I assumed there would be the expectation that they would TR shortly after 20 to get the additional build points and and whatnot on the next life.

While a pure sorcerer can be an okay Shiradi spammer, it's nowhere near as good as a multiclass build.  More importantly though, if they are in fact a new player on their first life, they will also have to cap karma in Fatesinger, Shadowdancer and LD to unlock the Shiradi destiny.   On a pure, first-life sorcerer spec'd for single-target spells, that's going to be a pretty sucky, suboptimal endeavor.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #30 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
We can't fairly assume money spent on a heart from the store. They're gonna need 20 epic tokens. And if they farm them out then they might as well go all the way to 30 and get the seeds to combo an ER/TR. More than enough xp along the way to unlock Shiradi. Then the Chain Missiles/Meteor Swarm rotation is great AoE.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
We can't fairly assume money spent on a heart from the store. They're gonna need 20 epic tokens. And if they farm them out then they might as well go all the way to 30 and get the seeds to combo an ER/TR. More than enough xp along the way to unlock Shiradi. Then the Chain Missiles/Meteor Swarm rotation is great AoE.

So they'll unlock Shiradi and cap it out about a day before they TR?   You're right.  It totally seems worth limping through 9 epic levels and 3 off destinies on a suboptimal build for that 5 minutes of glory.  Tongue

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2017 at 9:45pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 9:43pm:
So they'll unlock Shiradi and cap it out about a day before they TR?   You're right.  It totally seems worth limping through 9 epic levels and 3 off destinies on a suboptimal build for that 5 minutes of glory.  Tongue

This: a first life adventure build sorc if played on eh in epics, can clear everything right up to 30 with a dc build, using slas and energy burst (~1/8 of the investment).

Also its important to remember that bee-lining to shiradi might not be the most optimal thing due to lack of twist points, etc. Playing a non-dc sorc in epics (even eh) without twists or shiradi is flat out retarded.

If I was going to do 1-30 on a sorc first life adventure build: I'd run fire/acid savant from 20-30 with an emphasis on dcs. I'd max out draconic, so I had a good destiny for when I needed/wanted it. Then I'd grab max magister, fatesinger, and then I'd probably make my way over to primal avatar for cocoon doing the minimum xp in each destiny from there. At which point, I'd etr -> tr. I'd have enough fate points to twist energy burst for the next 20-30, making my life a HELL of a lot easier on any caster build, as well as, having shiradi wide open for me to level up on a proper shiradi build if that's what I wanted to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint