Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heroic TR Gear (Read 7212 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Heroic TR Gear
Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:36am
Print Post  
What do you think are the best items for the TR grind if you want to be fairly well equipped but want the minimal amount of gear chocking up your bank account?

When I went through the paladin grind (for a healing amp boost) and I didn't feel like custom crafting gear at every level I used the following for the earlier levels -

Might of Abishai - covers you pretty well for levels 5-12 or so.  After that I started switching it out for better gear.

The following also seem fairly decent for the lower levels -

Phiarlan Mirror cloak
Voice of the Master
Timeblade
Blade of Inquisition

After that, I'm not sure which are the best sets to cover you for the last 8 or so levels before TRing. 

So, any suggestions?  What do you feel are the most versatile sets to cover you through multiple TRs?  (and you can split it between best for melees vs MUs if needed - I'm just tired of sorting through 150 freaking items and switching gear out every other level or so when TRing).

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: Heroic TR Gear
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Named Heroic weapons from TOEE. Cannith Craft for lvl 15. Pansophic Circlet for casters, if you don't really care too much about incremental gainz. For WF, get the Heartwood docent. Cannith Challenge gear can be really nice at 15, too, if you've got a pile of old dupped ings.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

lostthenloved
Abbot Raider

I Hate Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 8:00am
Print Post  
heroic slavers is particularly good at lv and stay relatively good for quite a while, its also allot easier to make than epic

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Despite Cannith crafting & Slavers gear, an upgraded Quiver of Alacrity is still in the running as "best TR twink item ever".

I also like having an ML 1 Feather Falling item with a slot, with a Master's Gift slotted.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I don't have the Slavers pack (quit before it came out) but I was looking at and there is some pretty choice gear in it.

Love the cannith pack crafting - provided the ings are bta and not btc.  I am so not grinding those fucking challenges again (pretty sure I duped enough I can stock a new toon up in they're bta).

What I really need is a decent set or gear for those 11-14 levels where you start hitting more beholders and stronger monsters in general.  1-10 is pretty much a cake walk and there's some great gear for 15-20 to balance it out - it's that 3rd quarter that's harder to fill.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I am partial to a keen randgen weapon as soon as you find one.  I think lowest I have seen was ml 3.  I switch to vorpal once I get improved crit feat.  I second the masters gift in a ring, quiver of alacrity and phiarlan mirror cloak at start.  The greater bold trinket is nice for melee.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:50am:
I don't have the Slavers pack (quit before it came out) but I was looking at and there is some pretty choice gear in it.

Love the cannith pack crafting - provided the ings are bta and not btc.  I am so not grinding those fucking challenges again (pretty sure I duped enough I can stock a new toon up in they're bta).

What I really need is a decent set or gear for those 11-14 levels where you start hitting more beholders and stronger monsters in general.  1-10 is pretty much a cake walk and there's some great gear for 15-20 to balance it out - it's that 3rd quarter that's harder to fill.

Cannith Crafting refers to the RNG player crafted system and loot, not the Cannith Challenge rewards gear.   Just an FYI.

For the record, the Cannith Challenge mats are BTA, so you're covered there. 

Some of the must-have challenge items imo are:
  • Bracers of Wind Level 3 verison - 20% concealment.  Great for all builds.  The level 11 version adds Dodge and is nice if you have mats to spare.
  • Frozen Tunic Level 4 version - Minor Freezing Ice.  Great for all melee and ranged builds.  Wouldn't bother with higher level versions since they don't improve the Freezing Ice proc rate or save.  Could do the level 8 version tier 3 and add a Heavy Fort aug to it if you want I guess, but it gets replaced at 14 by dragon armor so it's kind of meh.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Ring of the Stalker Level 11 version - Manslayer, Ins Deception, Seeker - Great for melee and ranged builds but not sure how essential this is these days.   If you're rolling a good melee or ranged build, stuff will die so fast that Vorpals won't matter much.  Maybe in higher skull reaper it is more worthwhile since baseline DPS is so nerfed.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Solid items.

Don't forget spell power potions , Cheap and last 3 min

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 1:04pm:
Bracers of Wind Level 3 verison - 20% concealment.  Great for all builds.  The level 11 version adds Dodge and is nice if you have mats to spare.

I usually use a dusk heart and keep a stat boost in my bracers.  I'm still kicking around ideas how to shift it all around though, so this is a great suggestion to have on my radar.

but it gets replaced at 14 by dragon armor so it's kind of meh

Pretty sure I kept enough scales after duping and auctions to make another set (I'm hoping at least).  Remember kids - CHEATING KICKS ASS!

Ring of the Stalker Level 11 version

Love the ring of the Stalker.  I think I have like 4 versions to carry me all the way up into the start of epic. 

But it's things like that (plus having at least +4 tomes for all stats) that makes me wonder if it wouldn't just be better to stick with my main toon - I've already spent so freaking much time and money on him; but I really want to leave him in epic so I have the option to play there.

No wonder so few people (besides Fran) bother with alts anymore.  It takes so damned much to make a decent toon that once you get one, everything else is just a chore.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I have 4 gear set points, mostly:

I use loot gen to 5.  At 5, I use Abashai stuff and a few CC items to fill in the holes.  Then, I add in ToEE weapons(and maybe armor) at 7 and a slavers set at 8.  Everything else waits till 10 (when you can get 3 effects) and have a level 10 set of gear (that ditches the Abashai stuff but incorporates slavers set and any green steel coming at 11 and 12).  GS weapons at 11, which generally go to cap.  Cannith Challenge items (ring of the stalker, for example) also fit in around here.  A few items from gnomework and devil's gambit join the GS items and mix in with a level 14 cannith crafted gear set (Slavers set generally gets replaced at 14).  The level 18 gear set is almost all CC crafted (1 or 2 GS items, or key named items - i.e. Ring of Stalker are still around).  Weapons are still mostly GS.

I don't change gear that much at other times. 

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Goggles min lvl 1,
Blindness Immunity
True Seeing
Augment Slot: Master's Gift

I don't remove them until 20.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:36am:
What do you think are the best items for the TR grind if you want to be fairly well equipped but want the minimal amount of gear chocking up your bank account?

gear set for dc casting ml 13~ http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1492272151/8#8

that one is for warlock, but can be made for any dc stat by swapping out the dc stat mods in your crafted gear for the appropriate stat.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I’ll second the Bracers of Wind suggestion.  IMO, it’s nice on melee, until you get Greensteel, and worth building around on any build that uses electric spell power.

I’m also fond of the Cloak of Invisibility -> Ghost Waking Cloak/Wretched Twilight progression in heroics.  Ghostly is a really useful defense.  And never having to worry about Ghost Touch is convenient.

Executioner’s Helm (weapon users): IMO, the Black Dragon Armors are lackluster if you take the Relentless Fury enchantment out of the mix.  The seeker bonus and insightful deception isn’t bleeding edge, but it is good enough to take you to l20.  Quality Combat mastery is unique. And you can slot Heavy Fort or Fear Immunity.

Ring of Power (melee): It has 4 useful melee enchantments that aren’t going to get outclassed until epic levels.

Whirling Words is the best rune arm to use from 14-20 if you like Artificers/Rogues.  A pure artificer can easily run around with a 41 SR at level 14 by stacking it with a Mass SR scroll.

Symbol of the Slave Lords + Master’s Gift

Riftmaker For all Two hander builds.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 4:33pm:
No wonder so few people (besides Fran) bother with alts anymore.  It takes so damned much to make a decent toon that once you get one, everything else is just a chore.

That's why I never make a decent toon. I have more alts than Fran.

I agree about 1-10. It's more fun to let the toon gather its own crap gear from chests. Though I have 6-8 copies of Crystal Cove & Cannith Challenge gear at each ML, I stopped shuffling it around a while ago. The Bracers are the only Cannith Challenge item that's truly universally useful to every race & class. The Boots are right behind, and Ring right behind that. Cove gear, the Spyglass is still among the best swap-ins in the game for secret doors, but you can get True Seeing earlier nowadays. A big stack of gems is the bis for Feather Fall, Blindness Immunity, & Hvy Fort. Fear Immunity too, but that's less necessary.

Fuck the Cannith Challenge Cloak. It comes in second (or distant third) to something else at every ML. Fuck it in the pants. On the other hand, the CC armors have stepped up in a big way. Those might be your answer for 11-14. Also, CC gear got updated to unbeatable elemental type spell power & spell crit. at its ML, and it mostly remains there. Still, fuck the CC cloak.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 1:16am
Print Post  
I like Mysterious Cloaks / Bracers, got all varieties.

Goggles, I like them from cannith crafted, either seeker/deadly/insightful seeker, or evocation3/insightEvo2/insSpellPen2 (ml10)

Spinneret for +1 quality DC. Keep until 20.

ML5 cannith crafted +2 spell focus. Obsolete by ML8 Slavers +2 spell focus.
Abishai set for evokers.

Mithral heavy shield for casters (usually spell power of sheltering).

ML9 cove hat, superior false life, jump10, bta.

I also like that profane plate from Slaver's.. Executioner's?

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:16am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
Goggles min lvl 1,
Blindness Immunity
True Seeing

STFU.  You can make that at level 1 now?  I was playing with the planner on 5 Footers link and thought it was either borked or I wasn't using it properly because you could never make anything that powerful so low-level before.

Teraza's Perfect Sight is a foundation of most of my melee builds, if nothing else for freaking Gianthold.  I use custom googles to handle blindness but this is like a million times better than having to spread it out.

My equipment it usually built around (2 years ago at least)

Ghost touch (hate switching weapons any more than I have to, so I keep it on equipment)
Displacement
Protection from blindness and true seeing
Fortification - and really need to research how it stacks now.
Spell resistance - until what, level 12 or so when it stops working?  Also need to research the new magic resistance system, not sure the numbers I need at what levels (Asheras had a good set of levels to change gear at going there).
And pretty much the maximum plus at level for all the stats (even on a melee for the boost to saving throws - which it looks like that might not be as useful any more with the new bonuses offered).
After that I try and cram as much useful bonuses as possible in where ever I can, depending on what's allowed on the item and how many slots I have free.

Looks like I'll once again be returning to the auction house to obsessively check for items with the maximum amount of slots...and crying with joy when I actually find one that has a blue/green slot instead of the white/yellow like all the rest ><

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 10:11pm:
I agree about 1-10. It's more fun to let the toon gather its own crap gear from chests.

I actually enjoy this.  Loots gotten better but that's one of the aspects I hate the most about the game - there's almost zero joy in opening any chest outside of the handful of quests with named items.  Unless you're crafting and willing to drag the vendor trash around to deconstruct, how many TRs even bother looting anything besides guild renown? 

Outside of the million to one chances of pulling a bag or a low level tome, I wished they'd put half as much effort into making the day to day loot interesting as they do making the new crafting system of the week complicated.

Revaulting wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 10:11pm:
That's why I never make a decent toon. I have more alts than Fran.

Can you survive in reaper?  Or solo elite?  Or are those not important to you?  No wrong answer, just curious.  I prefer to do my own thing and unlike many here, I don't set my goals to be the absolute best of the best - but if I play with the best of the best, my goal is to hold my own.  If I can impress them, cool, but mostly my goal is to not end up spending half the quest as a soul-stone in someone's backpack :p

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:28am:
Can you survive in reaper?  Or solo elite?  Or are those not important to you?

Yes, until I fall asleep. Yes. No, they are not important to me.

Maybe reaper is less boring when you have a decent toon? I suspect not. Elite gets more boring, the better your toon gets.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
Goggles min lvl 1,
Blindness Immunity
True Seeing

At level 8, switch to crafted goggles with a yellow slot and add a Blindness Immunity aug.

Then you've got True Sight + whatever prefix is useful to your particular build (Wis, Int, Seeker, or Spell Focus).  Better yet, wait until level 10 to upgrade and add an bonus slot to it for insightful effects.

I use the level appropriate (7, 14, 21) Mysterious Cloaks/Bracers with Master's Gift and Feather Falling augs since healing amp and MRR are universally useful.  Cloaks for melee builds so I can use Bracers of the Wind / GS Smoke for 20% concealment.  Bracers for any build that can self-buff with Blur since there seem to be more named cloaks that are useful.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:49pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #19 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Slight update - managed to make a level 11 tier 3 ring of the stalker by the skin of my teeth.  Would love to have a level 15 one too for TRing, but I'm not complaining (I "stocked" up on the epic ings by the thousands but didn't go as overboard on the heroics Sad ).

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
(I "stocked" up on the epic ings by the thousands but didn't go as overboard on the heroics  ).

Ouch. That's sorta opposite to their usefulness, now.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #21 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:38pm:
Ouch. That's sorta opposite to their usefulness, now.

You know, I almost get the shortsightedness of that one, I had just TRed back to back 3 times and swore to never do it again.  And while I'm surprised and happy to see the useful things I stocked up on, what I don't get are some of the blatant oversights on my part.  Like why the hell didn't I stock up on planar shards for bag farming/selling?  Or (mostly) why the fuck didn't I dupe the hell out of deadly fever blanches and the other hard to find collectables that are just a fucking nightmare to farm?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #22 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:28am:
You know, I almost get the shortsightedness of that one, I had just TRed back to back 3 times and swore to never do it again.  And while I'm surprised and happy to see the useful things I stocked up on, what I don't get are some of the blatant oversights on my part.  Like why the hell didn't I stock up on planar shards for bag farming/selling?  Or (mostly) why the fuck didn't I dupe the hell out of deadly fever blanches and the other hard to find collectables that are just a fucking nightmare to farm?

I overdid it for just about everything that went in a bag. I'm still chewing through Festival cookies. I've got about 1k of every epic scroll. I can craft any heroic greensteel item I want, as soon as I get the shards. But it's pretty worthless. Meanwhile, a lot of the other stuff I was asking myself, "Why the fuck are you still duping even more of this?" turned out a lot more valuable.

The game is a whole fucking lot more enjoyable when you can play the quests you want to, instead of being tied to grinding the same shit 20-40 times in a row.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #23 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:55am:
The game is a whole fucking lot more enjoyable when you can play the quests you want to, instead of being tied to grinding the same shit 20-40 times in a row.

So much this.  Duping wouldn't even be needed if they stopped walking that fat line between "we have no clue how to play this game" and "we want to squeeze every fucking penny out of you as we can."

I get why they keep the drop rates low on some things - so they can sell us astral shards, chest boosters (total dick move that one), and crafting boosters.  But when you get things like the collectables, yeah, they can keep them unreasonable low (which they have) so we use shards to get augments and pots - but to include those same low drop rate items into the new crafting system - they're fucking clueless on what's going on in their own game.

I really did start enjoying the game a whole lot more when I started dupping though.  I was playing what I wanted to instead of just running the same freaking quests over and over to slowly gather what I needed for one piece of equipment.

On the bright side - I can TR about 200 times and still grab about 100 augments while doing it, I made sure I was covered there.  And I can probably set up 6 toons with dragon armor - not too bad Wink

(am kicking myself for all the low level tomes I traded for dragonshards though, pre-dupping.  Now I have hundreds of dragronshards and 4 toons that could have used the stat boosts)

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Most of the best twink gear currently is heroic version of named items out of recent quest packs, starting around u24 or so. But yeah, if you want a more or less universal set, you should cannith craft or slave craft most of it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint