Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Turbine Fails at Epic - ToEE Review (Read 2950 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Turbine Fails at Epic - ToEE Review
Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Temple of Elemental Evil?

More like Temple of Endless DA or Temple of the Needle in the Haystack.

It was on sale, so I decided to pick it up.  I remember when it was being developed before I quit* and I was looking forward to it back then.  I thought it was going to be something along the lines of Haunted Halls (which was amazing) and was looking forward to a classic module coming to life.

First impressions – I went in with a capped, epic toon** to check it out.  I’m obviously blasting through it and after about 40 minutes of wandering around pt 1, my first thought was “so, we’re not even expected to actually finish this, are we?  Just to collect as many ingredients as possible before we get bored, recall and go do something more interesting.”

So, let’s talk about size.  I know that was a major complaint (from what I’ve read on various sources) and a number of people thought it should have been chopped up into smaller parts.  Even with an epic toon, it takes about an hour to explore every nook and cranny in there.  My first instinct was that it was too long.

But really, that’s what the game is lacking.  Something epic.  Something that can’t be zerged in 5 to 20 minutes.  Something that takes a group effort and requires hours to push through it – that’s exactly what D&D was and what the people who played the table top version loved about it.

But this wasn’t it.

It’s monotonous, pointless, wandering, and boring.  Part one especially is an hour’s worth of corridors that are exactly the same – even the areas that are different are only slightly so where they might as well be exactly the same as the miles you’ve already traversed.

No puzzles.  No barriers to drop.  Nothing that requires you to work together.  Hell, not even any ramps to fight your way up.  Basically just 4 keys to collect and move on.  There’s not even any knobs to turn, just a shitload of doors to open.

The only reason to explore is for the rares…or Wil Wheaton’s little golden nuggets of insight – which just isn’t enough of a pay-off for the time it takes hacking through the mobs.

Random spawns suck – pt 2 is at least better designed, has more depth and creativity – and fucking sucks the worst.  I find the needle in the haystack approach to be just fucking horrible.  Having to go down every fucking corridor (if you’re not lucky enough to find it quickly) just to get the node is just stupid.  And not having more guaranteed bosses in set locations is even worse.  If you’re after the ingredients and you have to fight down a long hallway for 10 minutes, you should get a boss and a chest – not a chance at a boss and a chest.

I find it boring as hell with an epic toon having to search everywhere for a chest – but I’d find it absolutely infuriating if I were playing at level and put that much effort in on a bad instance where only one chest spawns in one of the elemental areas.  Make set bosses with guaranteed loot and random for the chance of extra loot – not everything random where you may or may not get something for hour’s worth of play.

Wil Wheaton – I get the hate, really.  My first reaction was the same – what does the dork who wasn’t even good enough for Star Trek have to do with D&D?

But really, it was a good move.  Getting anyone to endorse the product makes it look more like a viable investment than a dying nitch game.  Someone who’s actively involved with the table-top version even more so – especially if he promotes it and brings in new players (which, from what I can tell, he didn’t and he didn’t).  Like it or not, it was a good move (no matter how annoying his voice is…and his voice is pretty annoying).

I’m even mostly ok with the Wheaton reflections – they’re optional and you don’t have to click them.  In a fucked up way, I almost liked them.  While I don’t relate to his personal life experiences, I’m the same age and he’s talking about memories very close to when I first started playing.  Hearing anyone talk about the old box sets brings up a sense of nostalgia for me.

But they Turbined it.

The questions they asked kind of sucked.  They didn’t dig deep enough for stories about playing the actual game (over-looking the fact he doesn’t even remember playing the module he was DMing) and asked too many “barely related to the game” questions – which I guess is to be expected from people who obviously don’t play DDO and probably didn’t play D&D much either.

And what’s the fucking point putting a minute and a half sound bite 5 seconds away from a narration point geniuses?  Seriously?  Are you that fucking clueless?  If the DM narration (you fly light as a fucking feather) is going to override the soundbite, fucking get rid of the narration in that part or move the soundbite.  Would you think about what you’re designing for once?!

Difficulty – I can’t even imagine what it was like playing this before they “fixed” the DA.  It is way, way, way too easy to draw too many mobs just by stepping into certain areas and go right up to DA red.  It’s a hiccup if you’re playing an epic toon since you can destroy mobs in a single swing – but it’s a death sentence for even a high leveled heroic toon.

And how the fuck is an at level toon supposed to deal with the mobs of casters?  I tried to farm it with my level 16 farming toon and she’s been hit with as many as 14 negative levels within seconds of reaching some mobs.  There’s something wrong with a quest when the answer is to get killed and get rezed to deal with negative levels.

I get trying to make something challenging – but (as always) they Turbined it.  It probably wouldn’t be so bad with set spawns, but the amount of effort it requires to find what you’re looking for just isn’t fun or worth the time spent.

Drops rates – How the fuck are they still so low?  Yeah, I’ve heard people complain about it and say it’s not worth the time to farm an epic set, but that doesn’t prepare you for how bad they are.  I ran it once on EH (incidentally, the remnants drops are insanely fucking low too) and think I got like ten crappy mushrooms.  I quickly did the math – you need what?  400 to make a set?  400 divided by ten is…

Forever.

It would take for fucking ever to make a set.

Fuck that.  Seriously. 

Conclusion – it mostly sucks.

It could have been great, it could still be decent if they made some changes to spawns and drop rates but…fucking Turbine.  I’ll give it points over Slavers where I’d rather farm ToEE because you can at least cut out most of it (pt 1 at least) and you don’t have to run the whole fucking quest (like you do with Slavers) to get the named items – but Slavers has way better loot and a better crafting system.

I’m going to farm enough heroic ingredients with an epic toon to make a few items for specific classes (since it is easier to farm this way than to make GS), but after that, this pack is fucking dead to me.

Seriously, after I get the Ings I need, there’s really no reason to run this piece of crap again.  You’re sure as hell not going to do it for the fun of it.

* not so much quit as got bored waiting for Mabar and found better games to play
** Given the option, I usually prefer to push the easy button the first time with new content to know  what to expect

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Turbine Fails at Epic - ToEE Review
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Pretty much. I had quit right before MOTU came out and came back almost exactly 2 years ago, and TOEE was the first "new" quest that I played when i got back. I almost fucking quit again right there and then.

First I walked in on EE (not knowing that EE even existed, thought I was just running heroic elite) and I died in like 5 seconds. Apparently my end game gear of yore, like my greensteel khopesh and epic cavalry plate.......was not so good anymore.

Then I went back in on HE since I was just on a sightseeing tour coming back and checking shit out, and was bored after about 10 minutes. This was the first time I had played Turbine's new quest paradigm, "Hallway, big pack of mobs standing in it, next hallway, big pack of mobs standing in it".
Which unfortunately is a lot of the quests today.

Never set foot in there again. One of the few packs I wouldn't buy even if it was 90% off. Pure shit.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
it's for the toee melee/ranged power set bonus. otherwise no one would ever play it. 20 mp/rp is just too good on any twf or thrower builds. the light armor has a mdb of 31, by far the highest light armor in the game. Though you would have to be a twf light armor build to make use of that.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Have to agree with pretty much everything. I didn't even manage one complete playthrough, the needle in a heystack in part 2 wasn't worth it.

I will say though that I really enjoyed the "wheatonisms". I don't really dislike Wheaton, I think he'd actually be pretty cool to hang out with. I don't give a shit about his celebrity status(though I loved him on Star Trek Tongue).

I think the main thing was that he just sounds like a really fun DM. I mostly remember his bit about rules lawyering, and how its so much more fun to just say "ok, roll  dice and let's see what happens" than it is to tell people, "No, sorry, the rules say..."

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:28pm:
This was the first time I had played Turbine's new quest paradigm, "Hallway, big pack of mobs standing in it, next hallway, big pack of mobs standing in it".

You forgot the variety: "Room, big pack of mobs standing in it".

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
well it sums up quite nicely the PnP ToEE.

That's the whole issue of putting classic PnP modules in DDO... Some of them sucks because they are dungeon crawls ( like ToEE ) that are meant to be played bit by bit...
( typically in a ToEE Campaign after you've done all the outside stuff, you go in the Temple, clear a bunch of rooms, go back to the tavern in Homlet to rest and refit, then jump back in to clear a few more rooms, rinse repeat... over months of time )

Other are meh ( Haunted Halls ) because, well they are meh initially.

and some are quite nice ( Slaver ) because the quests were great to start with, and didn't involve going back numerous time into the same dungeon.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 2:07pm:

I actually really enjoyed HH because of the variety.  Each area is diverse, has new challenges and plays completely different (except maybe the doppelgänger area.  Fuck that guy) than the others, as opposed to ToEE where it's just giant, OP mob after giant OP mob.  Most of the time I don't even care about completing the quest, just seeing how far I can solo it on different difficulty settings before I get killed.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Toee = trash..

stay out of that place..

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Took me LITERALLY 3-4 months of farming to get the 20RP set on my thrower.

NEVER.FUCKING.AGAIN.

Also, DA and mobs swarming you from 1000 yards away was not originally there but was a result of an Aggro Downgrade ( which happens b/c one pack of mobs share aggro to another, even through the doors).

Also, also, the Temple Guards tripleshotting you for 150+ per arrow after 100PRR on EE was not original design either afair. People on lama feedback'd that Arrow damage was too low smth like 10+ per arrow, so Turbine'd listened and cranked it up to 11.

Also, also, also Random Node entrances and Random Node/Chest locations were also added due to feedback LOL, Supposedly it should have added replay value.
Spoiler alert: IT FUCKING DOESN'T!

The whole pack and the 2 quests inside is one big steaming pile of shit crammed into hallways with drop rates so fucking low that I can't even joke about it.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
PS.: Shut up, Wesley!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
well it sums up quite nicely the PnP ToEE.

That's the whole issue of putting classic PnP modules in DDO... Some of them sucks because they are dungeon crawls ( like ToEE ) that are meant to be played bit by bit...
( typically in a ToEE Campaign after you've done all the outside stuff, you go in the Temple, clear a bunch of rooms, go back to the tavern in Homlet to rest and refit, then jump back in to clear a few more rooms, rinse repeat... over months of time )

and some are quite nice ( Slaver ) because the quests were great to start with, and didn't involve going back numerous time into the same dungeon.

Quest Chains like Tangleroot and CO6 captured this PnP feel quite nicely of breaking a large module up.  ToEE Part 1 should be 6 quests.  1 to go in initially and realize you need to deal with Earth.  Deal with Earth.  Then one for each of the other elements.  Then a capstone to fight the main boss.  ToEE Part 2 should be 3 quests.  1 to delve deeper and find out what needs to be done.  Then one for the 4 nodes.   (Which you can still do as only 1 node or all 4 to advance.  Alternatively, do as 4 separate quests, but you can advance the chain with just running one)  Then the capstone.  The whole thing is 9-12 quests.  Slavers should be 5 quests.  Part 1 is fine.  Part 2 should be split in half ending before you go underground.  Part 3 should be 2.  Ending after you fight the illusionist, before you go to the vlllage.  You could break up part 1, but it doesn't seem to have as logical a break point.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:00am:
Quest Chains like Tangleroot and CO6 captured this PnP feel quite nicely of breaking a large module up.  ToEE Part 1 should be 6 quests.  1 to go in initially and realize you need to deal with Earth.  Deal with Earth.  Then one for each of the other elements.  Then a capstone to fight the main boss.  ToEE Part 2 should be 3 quests.  1 to delve deeper and find out what needs to be done.  Then one for the 4 nodes.   (Which you can still do as only 1 node or all 4 to advance.  Alternatively, do as 4 separate quests, but you can advance the chain with just running one)  Then the capstone.  The whole thing is 9-12 quests.  Slavers should be 5 quests.  Part 1 is fine.  Part 2 should be split in half ending before you go underground.  Part 3 should be 2.  Ending after you fight the illusionist, before you go to the vlllage.  You could break up part 1, but it doesn't seem to have as logical a break point.   

Suderham should have been a new public zone.

Social skills to get locals to buy/sell/talk. Same to keep Guards from attacking.

Either way. both ToEE and Slavers have the same issue: They're almost unplayable at level (heroic) and a mind-numbing-death-and-rez-grind-fest on Epic (if you want enough ingredients to see a finished item before the Rapture).

Sadly, I found this to be true with the new Mines of Tethyamar... Bring your cone-blast Warlock or GTFO.

I don't know who's giving SSG "Feedback", but they seriously need to stop listening to them.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:00am:
Quest Chains like Tangleroot and CO6 captured this PnP feel quite nicely of breaking a large module up. 

There's other issues with Tangleroot and GMW/Co6... the level gap between the first quests and the lasat ones is huge, especially in Splinterskull.
But it was really more PnPish, as you dealt with one issue ( one quest ) then went to do other things ( other quests somewhere else in Stormreach ) and came back to deal with another issue ( another quest in the chain ) and off somewhere else....
It doesn't fit well with the current way of playing : get the chain done in one go.
it didn't fit well initially too, because if you had the bad luck to quit before finishing the chains ( especially GMW/Co6 ) it was hard to find a group to start from where you left... and usually you had to restart the whole circle to get it done. ( it was less the case with Splinterskull because of the huge level gap between the first quests and the last ones )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 1:42pm:
There's other issues with Tangleroot and GMW/Co6... the level gap between the first quests and the lasat ones is huge, especially in Splinterskull.
But it was really more PnPish, as you dealt with one issue ( one quest ) then went to do other things ( other quests somewhere else in Stormreach ) and came back to deal with another issue ( another quest in the chain ) and off somewhere else....
It doesn't fit well with the current way of playing : get the chain done in one go.
it didn't fit well initially too, because if you had the bad luck to quit before finishing the chains ( especially GMW/Co6 ) it was hard to find a group to start from where you left... and usually you had to restart the whole circle to get it done. ( it was less the case with Splinterskull because of the huge level gap between the first quests and the last ones )

Yes.  I agree with everything you stated.  I wouldn't have varied the levels of the quests for ToEE or Slavers.  I'd have kept them all the same.  I was mainly referring to the concept of breaking up the very long quests and large maps into multiple quests.  That is the aspect I like about Tangleroot, CO6, and Threnal.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 2:02pm:
Yes.  I agree with everything you stated.  I wouldn't have varied the levels of the quests for ToEE or Slavers.  I'd have kept them all the same.  I was mainly referring to the concept of breaking up the very long quests and large maps into multiple quests.  That is the aspect I like about Tangleroot, CO6, and Threnal.

This was something I liked about the Lords of Dust chain as well, especially the way it was broken up but "felt" seemless. Each exist lines up with each successive entrance.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint