Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it (Read 12984 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it
Reply #25 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Ravenloft exceeded my expectations.

Mind you my expectations (like many people) were exceptionally low.

For me, that was: A few cool looking items I can glamour, a wilderness area to bumble around in,  and maybe some tolerable quests to sand the edges off the drudgery of the TR Hamster Wheel.

All of those expectations were met and incredibly, exceeded.

Amber Temple and Castle Ravenloft are outstanding. Visually and for content, I will literally run around both quests just for the shits and giggles of it.

The atmosphere of the entire pack is on point, right down to the Gypsy Fiddle music in the taverns.

This is a point of interest that gets lost a lot in DDO, but whoever is doing their music is a gifted talent. The quality of the compositions are exceptional. And I know from experience that creating, producing and recording that quality of sound isn't simple, fast or cheap.

Some of the items are arguably the best looking items in the game (Mist-Laden Vestemnt, Coat of the Traveler and the rune arms stand out here).

I bit the bullet and paid for the $130 package... Haven't regretted it.

I will likely never run the raids (I care nothing at all about Epic content) but I am curious to see what they offer up for interesting loot (see "Stuff I can Glamour," above).

I for one, am glad they took the unusual move of holding the 2nd raid back.

That's a gutsy move in this day an age where on-date delivery is the Be-All-End-All of business models.

Even this modest show of QA is a welcome shift in policy.

tl;dr- Ravenloft is worth forking over the money for.

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:05pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #26 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
ShoeMaker wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
Guess VIPs don't mean anything to them any more.  /shrug

IKR

They just give VIP away for any reason. Uh oh I may have misunderstood your point.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:16pm by Durk »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:23am:
Ravenloft exceeded my expectations.

Mind you my expectations (like many people) we exceptionally low.

That's the best way to put it.

Now a week later . . . 'end game' is dead again.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
ShoeMaker wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
Until it's all available in the DDOstore.  If they follow the way they did with Mordor in LotRO, it'll be the "next update" which I would expect near the end of March or early April around anniversary time.  Even VIPs got nothing from U37 except another race.  /shrug

Personally, I currently don't feel playing the game itself is worth anyones time unless they really enjoy the heroic TR grind.  SSG flat out fucked up with this expansion.  Guess VIPs don't mean anything to them any more.  /shrug

It's an expansion.  Not a regular update.   You think VIP should get access to expansion content without buying the expansion?  That's not an expansion then.  It's just a regular update...

And this from a guy who doesn't even pay for his VIP, anyways...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:12pm:
Now a week later . . . 'end game' is dead again.

Not my experience.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The TR roller-coaster is the end game.  They have zero ability or reason to focus on a 'level 30' game.  They aren't going to compete with the big dogs out there in that regard so why not focus on what makes them unique?

There might be a few fuckwits around who still think that the game was at it's peak when we were all stuck rolling up new alts to kit up in GS and then abandon but for everybody else not huffing glue they realized that the game was hemorrhaging players left and right during that 'glorious golden age of DDO.'

This game is one UI revamp away from being worth recommending to friends honestly.

Unfortunately one of the biggest issues is that SSG is not allowed to promote the game outside of a handful of pre-existing channels.  I tried to get them to do a couple Reddit AMA's for Ravenloft because r/dnd and r/gaming would have ate that up.

I got absolute silence.  WOTC has them by the balls so even if they did start to right the sinking ship nobody outside the 23 of us still playing the game will ever know.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:07pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I enjoyed the raid. Did a couple smooth pug completions on normal to learn it. Wilderness is huge. Temple and Castle are impressive and fun. A few quests are short and farm friendly. Overall visuals, music, etc very good too.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Not my experience.

Not my experience either, and I don't even run on channels.

The Taverns in Barovia are "standing room only" with capped toons on my server, which I normally consider dead.

Also, there seems to be a LOT of new players bumping around, and that can only be a good thing.

Ravenloft has it's bumps and blemishes, but they managed to deliver some decent content this time.

The real hurdle for SSG to overcome will be the follow up on the 2nd raid and various patches.

I shall watch the ensuing months with interest...  Wink

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Ravenloft is the best content the dev team has ever released. Quest length is pretty good throughout, and it's an interesting variety of scenery.  Mad Tea Party is the biggest offender IMO for monotony.  Bugs aside, the Strahd raid is designed well.

I think they missed the mark with the sentient jewel voices.  I'm not a fan of the voice direction, and the repetitive nature of the phrases just meant it got turned off by me within the first week.  SSG could have done so much more to showcase this feature as part of the expansion, but it feels half assed.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #34 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:26pm:
I think they missed the mark with the sentient jewel voices.  I'm not a fan of the voice direction, and the repetitive nature of the phrases just meant it got turned off by me within the first week.  SSG could have done so much more to showcase this feature as part of the expansion, but it feels half assed.

SSG definitely needed to create more sentience choices. They also needed to double or triple the number of possible responses. The responses also need more variety. An occasional funny one would have been nice. Most people have senses of humor of a sort no matter what their personality is like.

Hopefully these are things they can remedy/improve with time.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:14pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #35 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 4:06pm:
Unfortunately one of the biggest issues is that SSG is not allowed to promote the game outside of a handful of pre-existing channels.

Don't believe you. But the idea does make me curious about 3rd-party promotions.

Say somebody formed a Super-Pac, for example, dedicated to electing Sev as God-Emperor of "Hey, DDO exists & look at this cool new shit they released for it!" (donated to and managed by SSG. By coincidence, of course. Not collusion. Um ... this also supposes competence. Just a reminder that we're firmly in the hypothetical realm, here.)

Hello, hypothetical Supreme Court! And free hyopthetical publicity.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #36 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 6:27pm:
Don't believe you. But the idea does make me curious about 3rd-party promotions.

Say somebody formed a Super-Pac, for example, dedicated to electing Sev as God-Emperor of "Hey, DDO exists & look at this cool new shit they released for it!" (donated to and managed by SSG. By coincidence, of course. Not collusion. Um ... this also supposes competence. Just a reminder that we're firmly in the hypothetical realm, here.)

Hello, hypothetical Supreme Court! And free hyopthetical publicity.

It might be one thing if YOU formed the super-PAC to get some DDO visibility. It might also be something completely different if Severlin were to do it.

One of you has a contractual obligation to WotC, the other doesn't.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:54pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #37 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I mean we already know they don't own the merchandising rights to DDO so they can't even sell DDO swag.  They can't even ~make~ it anymore for that matter to give away.

The fact that there was no trailer for Ravenloft should be a dead giveaway.  The Mordor trailer was epic levels of bad for LOTRO but at least they had one.

Every other game that gets released spends a few bucks to get promoted on Twitch, shits youtube advertisements all over the place, starts posting dank memes all over Reddit.  Where was the spot on Polygon, Kotaku, Neogaf or Gamespot?

SSG did...none of that.  No big launch day twitch stream.  No dank memes.  No interviews for anybody but the sycophants they've always fed hand to mouth.

So yeah, I'm 99% confident that WoTC has a huge no-compete clause in place because they don't want DDO pulling anything away from NWN.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #38 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
Money's not a problem.

I don't believe I'll be back to grinding like the old days.  just want to know if the content is worth exploring, running a few times, etc . . .

Ravenloft is the first content SSG has produced that I like for the art assets. It has the Grims' fairytail vibe that goes with the Ravenloft story.

I would say the quests are (mostly) easier to solo than other recent releases. The loot is pretty OP and seems to drop pretty frequently on 1skull. The giveaway ML29 weapon that you pick for free after the first quest is imo, better than a t3 TF weapon. The ML28 armors that drop in quests are on par with lTS/HOX armors if you factor in the set bonuses. Sentient gems are sugar on top.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #39 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I have found the content to be better designed.  I don't know if it is "easer" per se.  Just not a slog.  I appreciate that most of these areas feel appropriately populated.  Take Castle Ravenloft in Raven at the Door or Invitation to Dinner.  Neither is teeming with groups of 10-12 mobs just standing the middle of every hallway or room.  No ToEE issue here.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 1:13am:
So yeah, I'm 99% confident that WoTC has a huge no-compete clause in place because they don't want DDO pulling anything away from NWN.

They want NWN sending customers away on its own? It makes a plausible theory, I guess.

There's this other competing explanation: Their marketing department is Cordo.

Technomage wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:52pm:
It might be one thing if YOU formed the super-PAC to get some DDO visibility. It might also be something completely different if Severlin were to do it.

Hmm. Independent contractor? The hurdle seems to be setting it up. As far as I can figure, it would be a violation of SSG's "free speech" to limit who they can contribute "political" funds to.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #41 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 3:45pm:
There's this other competing explanation: Their marketing department is Cordo.

This.

Enthusiasm for an IP is not a zero sum game, it's a case where a rising tide lifts all boats. Excitement about D&D benefits DDO, NWO, and book sales, it's hard to imagine Hasbro isn't sufficiently market savvy to realize that.

I could believe they retain the right to review advertising material for appropriateness and the SSG marketing department (AKA Cordo) can't be bothered to go through the process, but I sincerely doubt it's a blanket ban on advertising.

I could also believe there was a ban when the Atari dispute was still raging, but again, that's not applicable today. Or that they intentionally don't want to advertise because they don't have the server capacity to handle a large influx. Or that they are locked in a contract with a marketing company that isn't doing anything (a la FernanDOH). But none of those are the same as an advertising ban today.

Believe what you want, but I'd need to see some solid evidence before I believed the "advertising ban" was anything more than innuendo, originally promulgated by shills and dupes and tacitly endorsed by SSG, to cover the DDO "marketing team"'s inaction  Roll Eyes

EDIT: I added "originally" because by now the longevity of the rumor has given it an undeserved credibility even a reasonably skeptical observer might fall for.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:53am by Meursault »  

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #42 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
well, we will have to wait 2021 for the D&D Movie ( New Era I hope ).

But I have to say that I agree with the comments so far : Ravenloft is really better than what was released lately.
So much better that there's quests from the last 2 updates that I haven't been arsed to do yet, while I've done all the quests from Ravenloft twice already, and I'm conencting at time when I didn't connect anymore to do them...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

platfarmchink
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Spend cash and get more bugs for your money RIGHT NOW. DO JOT WALK, RUN TO GRAB THIS ONE TOME OFFER!

Otherwise when you buy with points you'll get slightly fewer bugs. And that would be kind of a ripoff.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #44 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Im thinking they should spend less on advertising.. Im sick of ddo popping up all the time and people talking about it all the time...lol..

Ive never seen a fucking thing about this game anywhere, ever... they know how to do it..

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #45 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:56am:
, it's hard to imagine Hasbro isn't sufficiently market savvy to realize that.

Hasbro Interactive has at least 3 Harvard case studies that I am aware of as it relates to marketing and viral/non-traditional marketing. 

They are plenty marketing savvy. 

Of course, that doesn't mean the savvy folks work on anything associated with D&D.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2017 at 9:42pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #46 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 9:40pm:
Of course, that doesn't mean the savvy folks work on anything associated with D&D.

LOL, too true, but I meant that Hasbro wouldn't add a clause to outright prohibit advertising for a product they considered profitable enough to be worth licensing their IP to in the first place. Pull the whole license, or let them have (possibly vetted) advertising, but half way just wastes opportunity. They wouldn't pull a Vietnam and say we'll send you over but you can't shoot.

A friend of mine works in Legal at Disney, and I assure you, there are no rogue lawyers writing in whimsical contract restrictions that don't follow corporate guidance. Hasbro might not have quite the well oiled legal machine Disney does, but they aren't going to be hacks.

And yeah, I knew they had one, but 3 sounds even more reasonable given the importance. The psychology of entertainment is huge business and you don't just "wing it". I worked in a major university for a while as a software developer, and was peripherally involved (they needed data out of systems I ran) in several studies centered on MMOs. It's large, it's been large for at least 5 years, and it's still growing.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Old Baba's Hut raid: Going through the puzzles once is ok.  Going through twice is lazy design reuse and a punch in the balls.

Love the design with the house turning into a spider and having it try to curb stomp you.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:20am:
Old Baba's Hut raid: Going through the puzzles once is ok.  Going through twice is lazy design reuse and a punch in the balls.

Love the design with the house turning into a spider and having it try to curb stomp you.

super fucking lazy. disgusting even. just slap some shit together because ssg is fully incapable of designing a fun raid. They just cannot. never will. they should just give up and die.

and to PROVE that they never ran the fucking raid more than once or twice; they missed the bug that makes it incompletable. two different ones. 2. separate. bugs. that occur every other time. not like this shit is some rare fucking bug where you have to hop on one foot, hit baba with a rarely used arcane spell, while having an obscure old heroic item equipped.

another thing that triggered me was their liberal use of a widely known bugged spell in cyclonic blast. they know it's bugged. we know it's bugged. they know that we know that they know that it's bugged. yet they chose to use it. willingly and with absolute awareness of it being bugged. they didnt even bother fixing the bugged spell. no, no, no. they are now using it as a form of challenge. because theyre fucking stupid, lazy, desperate, sad, pathetic, and dishonest little children in middle aged bodies.

theyre pieces of shit. washed up has-beens without any enjoyment of the product theyre making. one that they have no passion for playing. derive no enjoyment of playing. and loath providing any semblance of service. they should just quit their jobs and start selling crack if theyre gonna be like this. at least they can own that shit and not pretend to give a fuck.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
in other good news; lynn is back, bitches! prepare to see some shit get done. she make shit happen.

love that woman.

sad that the former intern is the actual legit best employee.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint