Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Introducing: Supporter Packs! (Read 11165 times)
Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Introducing: Supporter Packs!
Reply #50 - Jul 1st, 2023 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
This is nothing better than anecdotal, but it does seem like the discounts on the sales are not as high as they used to be. 20% rather than 25% etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2023 at 8:52pm by Shinyshoes »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #51 - Jul 2nd, 2023 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
The constant bleeding away of paying customers is starting to show. Unfortunately it seems SSG would rather focus on milking the whales harder.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #52 - Jul 3rd, 2023 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
They brought Double Bonus Points back just so some more shlubs buy the coffer and the numbers look good in the quarterly report.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #53 - Jul 3rd, 2023 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Jul 3rd, 2023 at 1:10pm:
They brought Double Bonus Points back just so some more shlubs buy the coffer and the numbers look good in the quarterly report.

Got to pad those numbers for big daddy EG7.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jul 1st, 2023 at 7:27pm:
TBH, I assume that's why the prices are so high anymore. They have a general knowledge of the average amount of TP players have. I'd assume most vets have a good 5k+ at any given time.

They could have done the smart thing and let players get racial/class lives with an epic TR, no favor reset, no points each life.
But it's SSG, so they're dumb.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #55 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 11:59am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jul 4th, 2023 at 10:24am:
They could have done the smart thing and let players get racial/class lives with an epic TR, no favor reset, no points each life.

Or, ya know, they could have just invented some new, highly-requested QOL items and started selling those for reasonable prices.

I get the feeling supporter packs are proof that SSG flat out cannot create anything new for the game.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #56 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jul 4th, 2023 at 10:24am:

God. I'd love that.

As a triple comp on everything, everytime a new heroic anything comes out I dread the experience. Even if I'll just do an iconic to speed the process up, it's a pain in my ass time wise.

I'd rather just be able to ETR on a build I'm enjoying.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #57 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 4th, 2023 at 11:59am:
Or, ya know, they could have just invented some new, highly-requested QOL items and started selling those for reasonable prices.

I get the feeling supporter packs are proof that SSG flat out cannot create anything new for the game.

Ya, they've been leaning heavily on the "long tail" of previous work. The current devs even putting out an xpac every year is pretty crazy. They have the advantage though of being able to copy other modules from the history of Dungeons and Dragons.

Unfortunately so much of the game's QOL has been monetized that the game is in a bad place. That and there is no catch up mechanic for new characters, or some kind of "one world" like Guild Wars 2's scaling and descaling.

As a company they've leaned to heavily into stat progression and any time they try to reign back player power/speed now they're going to get a backlash similar to how WoW has gotten one since Legion.

Looking at Guild Wars 2, it's amazing how that game has avoided power creep for 10+ years. Sure there are some forms of creep---the biggest part being mounts---but that is QOL creep which everyone loves.

Players love new features. DDO hasn't had a new features since... ...sentient items? Unfortunately sentient items are just like another 12 crappy gear slots. They are not interesting. We didn't get some new dimension to combat, e.x., significantly more interesting enemies, with well telegraphed attacks. Our raids are boring. Our gear hasn't had a new effect since Legendary Shroud.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2023 at 5:51pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #58 - Jul 5th, 2023 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 4th, 2023 at 5:43pm:
Players love new features. DDO hasn't had a new features since... ...sentient items? Unfortunately sentient items are just like another 12 crappy gear slots. They are not interesting. We didn't get some new dimension to combat, e.x., significantly more interesting enemies, with well telegraphed attacks. Our raids are boring. Our gear hasn't had a new effect since Legendary Shroud.

At this point I think the technical debt has finally caught up to them. The past year or two at this point has really been an issue of them having to pay the ransom and 'hire' the ex-devs in their company to start unborking the spaghetti.

Given what we know of Turbine as consumers (and tales I've heard from folks in the industry) that place was absolutely rife with devs that didn't annotate a single thing to make sure they had job security by being the only person in the know about a portion of the code.

Combine those shitty practices with the additional layers of code creating technical debt and at this point it's amazing they were even able to make Sentient weapons at the time even if as you said they amount to extra equipment slots. And we've all seen the bugs/lag that can be caused by using sentients/swapping.

My guess is we'll likely see another year of so dedicated to 'lag fixes' which is more likely a bunch of cleanup behind the scenes to try and wrangle the beast. Then we might finally see Psionics, Raids with new exciting mechanics, etc.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #59 - Jul 5th, 2023 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jul 5th, 2023 at 1:22pm:
My guess is we'll likely see another year of so dedicated to 'lag fixes' which is more likely a bunch of cleanup behind the scenes to try and wrangle the beast. Then we might finally see Psionics, Raids with new exciting mechanics, etc.

Highly doubtful the game will still be profitable by then. The repeated rounds of whale milking coupled with failing to provide anything at all for the rank and file paying customers is going to lead to some serious player drain.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #60 - Jul 5th, 2023 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 5th, 2023 at 2:05pm:
Highly doubtful the game will still be profitable by then. The repeated rounds of whale milking coupled with failing to provide anything at all for the rank and file paying customers is going to lead to some serious player drain.

Profitability has been spelled out by both whales and casuals alike over on the mobo, discord, etc. even here we're all well aware of the economics as to how they could make a massive profit margin.

The issue is: Either they're making A LOT off the whales, or the marketing department is legitimately too stupid to realize by lowering the cost on digital goods that literally cost them nothing to produce past the initial coding/modeling/development time would turn them hand of fist in cash.

Seriously. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings to understand how they justify the pricing in both the DDO and Lotro stores. Though at least Lotro is a little less miserly in pricing. Still bad though.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #61 - Jul 5th, 2023 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jul 5th, 2023 at 7:37pm:
The issue is: Either they're making A LOT off the whales, or the marketing department is legitimately too stupid to realize by lowering the cost on digital goods that literally cost them nothing to produce past the initial coding/modeling/development time would turn them hand of fist in cash.

I suspect the marketing department(which consists entirely of a single retarded dachshund at this point) really is too stupid.

The conversations on the motherboards don't help. Seriously. The casuals/chubby dolphins/porpoises have no voice. The conversation is entirely dominated by the whales("The prices are fine!") and the F2Pers("I don't spend money on games."). When that's all the feedback you're getting, its pretty easy to price things like a moron.

IP Logged

Killtard
Waterworks Kobold

I love killing tards!

Reply #62 - Jul 6th, 2023 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Reading this thread is like watching a dozen monkies try to fuck a football.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #63 - Jul 6th, 2023 at 11:52am
Print Post  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Everling
Waterworks Kobold

Living but dead.

Reply #64 - Jul 7th, 2023 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Jul 3rd, 2023 at 1:10pm:

I am pretty sure they stopped selling the Coffer on the 28th of June and didn't start the double bonus points till the 29th, because SSG...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #65 - Jul 8th, 2023 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Everling wrote on Jul 7th, 2023 at 3:57pm:
I am pretty sure they stopped selling the Coffer on the 28th of June and didn't start the double bonus points till the 29th, because SSG...

That would be on-brand.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Jul 9th, 2023 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
That monkey should be the Browns new logo.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint