Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Daily Gold rolls for VIP coming back (Read 7258 times)
Notanarc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Daily Gold rolls for VIP coming back
Sep 1st, 2023 at 10:03am
Print Post  
8 Sep to 10 Oct.  SSG retards too stupid to come up with a better plan, so they recycle the old shit.

IP Logged

liljiggy
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Daily Gold rolls for VIP coming back
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Well that's one horrible decision from the past 5 years reversed.

1000 more and maybe the game'll be good again.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
This is odd. Didn't they say, they can't do daily gold rolls anymore? I know players wanted those.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 2:06pm:
This is odd. Didn't they say, they can't do daily gold rolls anymore? I know players wanted those.

They said it was "fiscally irresponsible" or some other ultra dumb bullshit. I guess sales of Veccna Unleashed weren't as profitable as they hoped.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 2:20pm:
They said it was "fiscally irresponsible" or some other ultra dumb bullshit. I guess sales of Veccna Unleashed weren't as profitable as they hoped.

BG3 is pretty rough to compete with. I'd be playing DDO but honestly I don't see myself touching the XPAC till this winter.

Starfield, + POE league is pretty fun, + GW2 Expansion, + Warhammer 3 update, and I've got plenty of other stuff I enjoy playing.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:02pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 12:00am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:01pm:
BG3 is pretty rough to compete with.

This right here alone. DDO has always have the luxury of effectively being the only real game in town for multiplayer D&D experiences in a relatively real-time/fun environement. (Yeah grandpa, I'll admit it NWN and NWN2 sucked ass multiplayer. They're fun singleplayer though.)

Neverwinter Online was such a disaster that it wasn't even competition, other than graphically and still that's a stretch.

BG3 is visually better, it has a solid story, and could entertain you four potentially a hundred plus hours. Once official steam workshop support and their own modding tools come out; the gap will only increase as people add more races, classes, and content of their own.

While I hate 5e, I feel BG3 managed to mostly take the few flaws 5e really has, and turn them into somewhat strengths in a live action environment. I'd certainly play BG3 before I'd play a 5e Virtual Tabletop scenario.

So the stuff we're seeing currently; gold rolls returning, these smaller wide-reaching Balance patches, etc. These are them realizing they're hemorrhaging players bad with BG3 and are trying to win people back on some level.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 2nd, 2023 at 12:00am:
Yeah grandpa, I'll admit it NWN and NWN2 sucked ass multiplayer. They're fun singleplayer though

NWN with the right coding skills combo and the Linux client could handle about 100 person in a single play world, with
memory between reboots ( parse that as your character records and nventory gets saved server side at logoff and if there's a scheduled restart so that you wll get back all your stuff  )
The most difficult part was finding a ( cheap ) way to host the server and the bandwdth requirement.

NWN2 sucked ass just trying to build areas... At least at first, and since they didn't deliver all the promised stuff ( Linux client, Database hookup, and more ) I stopped bothering after completing the single player quests.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:01pm:
BG3 is pretty rough to compete with.

BG3 is, at best, a multi-player game. DDO is an MMORPG. They're not even in the same genre. I'm not really clear on why people keep comparing them, other than that BG3 is just one of several hundred very fun single/multiplayer games.

I am an MMO gamer first and a DnD player second. BG3 isn't even on my radar.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 2nd, 2023 at 9:10pm:
BG3 is, at best, a multi-player game. DDO is an MMORPG. They're not even in the same genre. I'm not really clear on why people keep comparing them, other than that BG3 is just one of several hundred very fun single/multiplayer games.

I am an MMO gamer first and a DnD player second. BG3 isn't even on my radar.

DDO isn't an MMO. You play in a small group of six players in a quest.

In raids that increases to 12.

Outside of seeing players in hub zones, you can play the entire game singleplayer effectively.

DDO is a MMO lite.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2023 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
This. DDO is Warframe's crotchety grandpa.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I don't know if ya'll remember Gauntlet but that was 4 player and really fun for its time.
You still might find a console in a movie theatre or retro gaming center.

DDO is in the same genre of "4 player dungeon crawl" and you've always been able to play these types of games solo.

MMOs just add "in-universe" lobbies which are "towns" or public spaces and then they have "instanced content" as a kind of controlled sub-game. This is in contrast to World events which are done---the best---by Guild Wars 2. I highly recommend everyone play their "Heart of Thorns" expansion to see how amazingly zone-wide 100+ player progression can be done in both a cinematic, and engaging way. You've got multiple bosses and bases that have to be progressed simultaneously and the zones are fucking vertical.

The advantage of "instanced content" is that:
1) It is easier to balance around 4-6 expected players, rather than 10-100 expected players.
2) It is easier to create difficulty without excluding people: since you can tune the difficulty to the party.
3) From a technology perspective it is easier to code and deal with player interactions: we all know how shit the lag is in games like Elder Scrolls Online. Mass PVP has always had problems here.
4) It allows for easy solo progression.
5) Human beings operate best in small teams and it allows the monkey side of the brain to work best. At work, if you have more than 6 people in a meeting then good fucking luck getting your idea out there unless you are the leader.

Honestly. I dislike raid content because I think that it is---in general---an excuse for people to get covetous about social power. There's all the "raid leader" or "guild leader" ego bullshit. I know that this is part of what makes it fun though; however, that's why raids are "special" because developers know that there's only so much interest in stretching the comfy 4-man session into a 12 or even 20 man session. Guild wars 2 open world events are strangely lonely. It's like visiting New York City. No one talks to each other on the street because there are just too many people. More people can be less social. Facebook beat MySpace because it allowed for better Silo-ing of people. Discord beat Facebook because it allows for even better Silo-ing. You have to give people the control to participate and not participate on their own free will---and then give community leaders the ability to easily control all aspects of participation. MMOs should just copy the functionality of discord, or integrate it directly in some capacity.

Speaking of "loneliness" in an MMO I think communication is still an under-developed aspect of play. We've all been in a R1 heroic zerg where you can do all of Gianthold without anyone saying a word. On the one hand this can be fun and efficient... ...on the other... ...it can be soul sucking. You might as well be playing solo. There's no need to interact, everyone knows what to do---not just the quests have been solved but the social interactions have been solved.

Games have to constantly lean into new content that challenges players to relate to each other in new ways in order to create that fun dynamic of overcoming a new challenge. "On every mountaintop is a higher mountain top." Part of the failure of the modern MMO is that players have solved so much of the social dimension of play. Sociality is part of the content itself in an MMO. This is why raids are challenging---they stretch basic human relations in a group setting: it is hard to get 12 monkeys to co-ordinate on anything. That said, raiding can be tiring.

I'd love if DDO looked at some of its basic social mechanics: make buffs better, give players more ways to emote in chat that are tied to their race or class (e.x., "heal me" button that is particular to a particular race, or "deal more damage!" that is particular to a particular race"), reduce solo-healing to a huge degree---and for god's sakes mix up the xp rewarded by quests so that we aren't running the same shit over and over again.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2023 at 11:48am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 3rd, 2023 at 11:38am:
I don't know if ya'll remember Gauntlet but that was 4 player and really fun for its time.
You still might find a console in a movie theatre or retro gaming center.

DDO is in the same genre of "4 player dungeon crawl" and you've always been able to play these types of games solo.

MMOs just add "in-universe" lobbies which are "towns" or public spaces and then they have "instanced content" as a kind of controlled sub-game. This is in contrast to World events which are done---the best---by Guild Wars 2. I highly recommend everyone play their "Heart of Thorns" expansion to see how amazingly zone-wide 100+ player progression can be done in both a cinematic, and engaging way. You've got multiple bosses and bases that have to be progressed simultaneously and the zones are fucking vertical.

The advantage of "instanced content" is that:
1) It is easier to balance around 4-6 expected players, rather than 10-100 expected players.
2) It is easier to create difficulty without excluding people: since you can tune the difficulty to the party.
3) From a technology perspective it is easier to code and deal with player interactions: we all know how shit the lag is in games like Elder Scrolls Online. Mass PVP has always had problems here.
4) It allows for easy solo progression.
5) Human beings operate best in small teams and it allows the monkey side of the brain to work best. At work, if you have more than 6 people in a meeting then good fucking luck getting your idea out there unless you are the leader.

Honestly. I dislike raid content because I think that it is---in general---an excuse for people to get covetous about social power. There's all the "raid leader" or "guild leader" ego bullshit. I know that this is part of what makes it fun though; however, that's why raids are "special" because developers know that there's only so much interest in stretching the comfy 4-man session into a 12 or even 20 man session. Guild wars 2 open world events are strangely lonely. It's like visiting New York City. No one talks to each other on the street because there are just too many people. More people can be less social. Facebook beat MySpace because it allowed for better Silo-ing of people. Discord beat Facebook because it allows for even better Silo-ing. You have to give people the control to participate and not participate on their own free will---and then give community leaders the ability to easily control all aspects of participation. MMOs should just copy the functionality of discord, or integrate it directly in some capacity.

Speaking of "loneliness" in an MMO I think communication is still an under-developed aspect of play. We've all been in a R1 heroic zerg where you can do all of Gianthold without anyone saying a word. On the one hand this can be fun and efficient... ...on the other... ...it can be soul sucking. You might as well be playing solo. There's no need to interact, everyone knows what to do---not just the quests have been solved but the social interactions have been solved.

Games have to constantly lean into new content that challenges players to relate to each other in new ways in order to create that fun dynamic of overcoming a new challenge. "On every mountaintop is a higher mountain top." Part of the failure of the modern MMO is that players have solved so much of the social dimension of play. Sociality is part of the content itself in an MMO. This is why raids are challenging---they stretch basic human relations in a group setting: it is hard to get 12 monkeys to co-ordinate on anything. That said, raiding can be tiring.

I'd love if DDO looked at some of its basic social mechanics: make buffs better, give players more ways to emote in chat that are tied to their race or class (e.x., "heal me" button that is particular to a particular race, or "deal more damage!" that is particular to a particular race"), reduce solo-healing to a huge degree---and for god's sakes mix up the xp rewarded by quests so that we aren't running the same shit over and over again.

Fantastic fucking post 100% agreed.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 2nd, 2023 at 12:46pm:
NWN with the right coding skills combo and the Linux client could handle about 100 person in a single play world, with
memory between reboots ( parse that as your character records and nventory gets saved server side at logoff and if there's a scheduled restart so that you wll get back all your stuff  )
The most difficult part was finding a ( cheap ) way to host the server and the bandwdth requirement.

NWN2 sucked ass just trying to build areas... At least at first, and since they didn't deliver all the promised stuff ( Linux client, Database hookup, and more ) I stopped bothering after completing the single player quests.

I appreciate that I always manage to summon you from the depths.

Don't get me wrong, that statement wasn't ragging on the game. And I managed to see some of those mythical servers, but in general the game wasn't really meant for long-standing multiplayer play.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
That is what one poor quarter and lack of xpac sales does - gold rolls, small updates to enhancement trees etc. Not to mention population dropped to 1000 and below with BG3 release. If only we had another D&D MMO to compete with these fuckers and fuck them up real good!!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2023 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 3rd, 2023 at 7:53pm:
That is what one poor quarter and lack of xpac sales does - gold rolls, small updates to enhancement trees etc. Not to mention population dropped to 1000 and below with BG3 release. If only we had another D&D MMO to compete with these fuckers and fuck them up real good!!

You'd think this would be enough to get them off their asses and release some real VIP benefit upgrades.

But apparently not.

One has to wonder: exactly what the hell do these people DO all day long?

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Well they have already explained that the battlepass style VIP rewards is on hold due to humble's passing.

I will leave it for you all to decide if thats a valid reason or not.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Sep 4th, 2023 at 6:12am:
Well they have already explained that the battlepass style VIP rewards is on hold due to humble's passing.

I will leave it for you all to decide if thats a valid reason or not.

More like an excuse.

Check that.

More like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2023 at 9:59am by Standing Stone Games »  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 11:10am
Print Post  

You love to see it!

This "expansion" was half baked. No wilderness, filigree, universal tree, iconic, race, or wilderness. It was billed as a MINI expansion until one month left to go until release date. Where then they decided to drop the word mini and pump out a one room raid with no phases so they could sell it and call it a full expansion.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 3rd, 2023 at 5:27pm:
I appreciate that I always manage to summon you from the depths.

Don't get me wrong, that statement wasn't ragging on the game. And I managed to see some of those mythical servers, but in general the game wasn't really meant for long-standing multiplayer play.

It was thought as a computer version of the Pen & Paper AD&D, definitely not as a long standing multiplayer game.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Killtard
Waterworks Kobold

I love killing tards!

Reply #19 - Sep 4th, 2023 at 9:47pm
Print Post  

Cool, cool, cool, if you're done pretending you know anything show them titties!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2023 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Sep 4th, 2023 at 9:58am:
More like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

As sad and stupid as this is, I actually kind of hope its true. The response to the stupid "battlepass" system was so overwhelmingly negative. You basically only had "people who thought it was trash" and "people who treat SSG like a charity and were going to sub anyway".

So if SSG is going to use a man's death as an excuse to shelve a clearly failed design, I'm ok with that.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2023 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 4th, 2023 at 11:47am:
It was thought as a computer version of the Pen & Paper AD&D, definitely not as a long standing multiplayer game.

While I agree. Most of the servers you see are like longstanding communities trying to make an MMO-lite experience.

I don't get how they do it, given the technical limitations.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2023 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 4th, 2023 at 11:10am:
You love to see it!

This "expansion" was half baked. No wilderness, filigree, universal tree, iconic, race, or wilderness. It was billed as a MINI expansion until one month left to go until release date. Where then they decided to drop the word mini and pump out a one room raid with no phases so they could sell it and call it a full expansion.

At first I didn't believe you until I went back and looked, I'll be damned.

The funny part is; up until that last month or so, Severlin had mentioned there was an universal tree coming with it as well.

So it got dropped last minute, kind of curious as to what the tree would have been.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Sep 5th, 2023 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 5th, 2023 at 2:07pm:
At first I didn't believe you until I went back and looked, I'll be damned.

The funny part is; up until that last month or so, Severlin had mentioned there was an universal tree coming with it as well.

So it got dropped last minute, kind of curious as to what the tree would have been.

My guess is they didn't actually have one. I like to imagine everything at SSG is done last minute. Every sits around circle-jerking each other until EG7 calls and asks if they are ready to release tomorrow, then the whole xpac gets programmed overnight.

IP Logged

Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2023 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 5th, 2023 at 4:22pm:
I like to imagine everything at SSG is done last minute.

The didn't even fucking know the hardcore server was still running.  They just found out today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint